• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International Picture Thread

Any of you axmc axsa guys know if the handguards are interchangable? @AIAW

From what I have heard the pre-2014 handguards are not compatible with the post-2014's. Not sure what the differences are as I don't have a pre-2014 AX any longer.

That might just be something no one has tried... yet. Can't speak from personal experience unfortunately.

I know they are different between the PSR and the AXMC (PSR required a handguard removal to change barrels).

Reactions: SkyScrapin
Didn’t the pre-14 handguards have like ten mounting screws, and the post-14’s only had two? I know that’s true for the chassis, and I was thinking it was the same for the rifles.

Wish I could remember! I think they used the same 3 screws?

Visually the only difference I can see is the "peep hole" in the handguard where you can see if the barrel is seated on it's shoulder completely. All else looks the same from the pictures I've been browsing over.

Doesn't the serial number also start with the 2-digit year of manufacture?

ETA - I swear I did not see the post above mine before I posted...

Last edited:
Ok here’s a couple pics in my basement.
D7DDB9D0-C5E9-4C06-AFA8-2F5E071116AE.jpeg
041E39A5-D7FE-439E-8310-361B481E2DCE.jpeg
77071946-5F73-49AE-84C7-48C762008734.jpeg

I don't know about factory but there are some great loads in the reloading section. You didn't mention bullet weight but here's my favorite 123gr bullet load. Try it an your own risk!!:

123 gr Hornady ELD Match
Federal 210M Primer
Lapua Brass
39.3 grs Varget
22" Bartlein 5r barreled & suppressed AIAT
2894fps 2.4 SD
5 shots one hole .264

Does anyone know the shortest LOP on an AX with the buttpad in place?

Tried to get the info from AINA, but they can only tell me it's 2.5" from the back end of the rear frame without spacers.

How does this translate to standard LOP?

So maybe some of you guys could help me. I worked up a nice load for my new 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. 41.7 grains of H4350 in Peterson small primer pocket brass, with federal gold medal match primers, and pushing a 130gr Berger AR hybrid at 2800 FPS. I worked up to 42 grains with no pressure signs but my best groups were with the 41.7 grain load. Shot my rifle again two weekends ago with the same load, and everything is fine. Last weekend I shot 12 rounds to get some quick PRS practice in and I noticed EVERY round had cratered (7) or pierced (5) primers. I also noticed the very center of my firing pin is caved in, like someone took a super fine drill bit and counter sunk a hole in it. It’s the 1.6mm firing pin. Any advice? Maybe drop down in charge weight? Is my firing pin permanently damaged and should be replaced? Or should I be ok? Known AI issue? I’m a little baffled considering I’ve loaded a solid 500 rounds of 308 with no issues and almost 200 of 6.5.

Attachments

• B1C366F0-8049-486F-A316-9C41D50ED29D.jpeg
    B1C366F0-8049-486F-A316-9C41D50ED29D.jpeg
    438.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 864A1FDA-C24D-4846-A659-B3C72FC38A72.png
    864A1FDA-C24D-4846-A659-B3C72FC38A72.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 149
So maybe some of you guys could help me. I worked up a nice load for my new 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. 41.7 grains of H4350 in Peterson small primer pocket brass, with federal gold medal match primers, and pushing a 130gr Berger AR hybrid at 2800 FPS. I worked up to 42 grains with no pressure signs but my best groups were with the 41.7 grain load. Shot my rifle again two weekends ago with the same load, and everything is fine. Last weekend I shot 12 rounds to get some quick PRS practice in and I noticed EVERY round had cratered (7) or pierced (5) primers. I also noticed the very center of my firing pin is caved in, like someone took a super fine drill bit and counter sunk a hole in it. It’s the 1.6mm firing pin. Any advice? Maybe drop down in charge weight? Is my firing pin permanently damaged and should be replaced? Or should I be ok? Known AI issue? I’m a little baffled considering I’ve loaded a solid 500 rounds of 308 with no issues and almost 200 of 6.5.
So many variables, share your loading process. Specifically how you adjust headspace, case length, neck tension. How many firings on the brass?

This is the second firing on the brass. I use a hornady headspace gauge for my brass. Case lengths all measure 1.912 through 1.914. I'm not sure about neck tension because I don't have the tools to measure nor adjust the tension. I full length size each piece of brass.

This is the second firing on the brass. I use a hornady headspace gauge for my brass. Case lengths all measure 1.912 through 1.914. I'm not sure about neck tension because I don't have the tools to measure nor adjust the tension. I full length size each piece of brass.

Load development def changes between 1st and 2nd firing but 42 of h4350 is a pretty "normal" load. Were you shooting in the rain?

I would back your fp protrusion out one half turn to see if that helps.

Is this a new rifle or did you get it used?

I would call Adam at mile high and see if ai will warrenty that fp. Good news is a new fp is like 75 bucks if I remember right so not the end of the world if he doesn't think he can replace it.

Last edited:
Will a Spur 4006 with a S&B PMII 5x25 clear the rail on a AIAX 308? If yes how much room under the objective?

How do you back out the firing pin?! I’ve read about this but no one’s said how it’s done.

Yes there was a real light mist in the air that day.

6.5 barrel and full 308 rifle are from EuroOptic. I’m going to put a box of Hornady 6.5 through it tomorrow and see what it does.

How do you back out the firing pin?! I’ve read about this but no one’s said how it’s done.

6.5 barrel and full 308 rifle are from EuroOptic. I’m going to put a box of Hornady 6.5 through it tomorrow and see what it does.

Yea if it's brand new they might give you a replacement but maybe not. If they won't do anything pm me I'll walk you through the fp progress if this link doesn't get you there

Reactions: The Durk

Yes there was a real light mist in the air that day.

Oh and if there was condensation on your rounds that def will explain the pressure spike. If your load Dev was close to max dry it will usually be over pressure when the rounds are fired wet

The cartridges were in the magazine the entire time. Rifle came out of the case, took the magazine out of my mag pouch, loaded the rifle, did some quick drills, and off I went. 15 minutes max. I'd say the water wasn't an issue. If I was load developing, they probably would have gotten wet. I'm learning that loads yesterday might not be the loads you go with today. Especially in our whack weather. 65 degrees the day I was doing load development, 45 the next week.

Backed my FP out. No more pierced primers. Still dimples a little but I can live with it until I get a new load worked up. Going to try large rifle primers for the 6.5.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Backed my FP out. No more pierced primers. Still dimples a little but I can live with it until I get a new load worked up. Going to try large rifle primers for the 6.5.
You post make me want to stop shooting my SRP 6.5cm Lapua brass out of my LFP AX. It def craters CCI 450 primers but I’ve never had it pierce. Anyone wanna trade some LRP Peterson for some Lapua? Lol

I’ll take craters that can barely be seen. But pierced is crazy. What’s even crazier is AI had the foresight to have an adjustable firing pin.

I’ll take craters that can barely be seen. But pierced is crazy. What’s even crazier is AI had the foresight to have an adjustable firing pin.

Most your bolt actions fp are adjustable for protrusion ?. Least all the ones I have used are. AIs is one of the easiest though

Reactions: The Durk
Yea mine is already on the shorter side of spec so I didn’t mess with it. I am waiting to see what chamber formed firings looks like hoping they get milder. I’m only running 41.5g H4350 with absolutely no other pressure signs so I havnt really been tooo worried about it but still has been in my mind lol.

I’m about to try some 140’s from Hornady this weekend, I’ll load them to a much more reasonable load as opposed to 41.7gr

Any axsa owners interested in swapping their 13" handguard for a 16" in pb? If so shoot me a pm. Trying to run a 16" fast twist 308 supressed with subs on my axmc

Only partly AI but I figured it would be ok anyway.

Kind of a Mk13 mod5 but not quite a clone build.
Remington 700 LA action, blueprinted. Jury Custom barrels Mk13mod5 profile, Stalon Victor L suppressor.
Mars Rail, Nightforce scope and scoperings. Accuracy International AT chassis. Harris bipod.
It is probably the only one of its kind in Sweden.

First nice day in New England for a while so I took the morning off and went shooting.

Some say money can't buy happiness but those people have never shot an AI from an RRS tripod seated. Super freaking stable.

New barrel spun up by @Robert Gradous. M24 contour/26"/4 groove Krieger blank/7.5 twist. Only 35 rounds through it but to say I am pleased is an understatement.

A great morning indeed

Hi Durk - here is something i have picked up along my journey with the AXMC:

Virgin brass (1st firing) will fireform to you chamber (factory brass must necessarily be a little small so as to fit in everyones chamber). What this means is that some of the pressure in the chamber goes toward expanding the brass, and NOT pursing the bullet out. Then, when you take your fireformed brass and reload, (minimally bumping the shoulders), and reload with the EXACT same powder charge again... ALL the pressure in the chamber now goes to pushing the bullet (no brass to expand) and can now give excess pressure signs like you experienced. This is even more noticeable with the large clearance between firing pin and firing pin channel in the AXMC. You will likely find that you will have to run all your loads at slighly lower velocities than your friends with non-AI rifles.

I hope this is appropriate for the picture thread.

A big THANKS and shout out to the AINA folks who stepped up and made a killer donation to the upcoming "Remembering the Brave" Memorial Day Match, befitting Gold Star families, to be held at the Quantico Shooting Club. I met the team by happenstance through an email exchange that resulted in the AINA VP coming out and signing up for the Club. He noted, while doing so, the flyers for the match and immediately said AINA would help sponsor the match by adding to the prize table!

This morning I drove down from the homestead to AINA and was met by the team and hosted into and through the facility. Sorry, nothing really secret squirrel inside but also no pictures. I had a great time talking rifles, motorcycles and bourbon, and ended up leaving with their donated AI AT 2.0 chassis in a beautiful OD green. After we finished jawing and I was leaving, they were kind enough to give me a couple of hens teeth. On behalf of the QSC, I am very grateful for their generous donation. As a shooter, I'm pretty darn happy to have scored a couple of hats and a nice AI lapel pin. :)

The non-descript facade that is the AINA mothership:

IMG_0921-1_JPG-948082.jpg

The "goods:"

IMG_0929-1_JPG-948081.jpg