• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International Picture Thread

A 100y range trip to get some velocity data. I also had a slight cant in the scope I needed to fix. First 3-shot group, even with the clean, cold bore, was simply amazing.

IMG_1090-1_JPG-955584.jpg

IMG_0966_JPG-955585.jpg

Might as well post a pic of what the axmc looks like with @trob_205 13" rail just in case anyone else is thinking of running a shorty barrel on their axmc. Finally can test my 1/8 twist 17" hawk Hill 308 barrel tomorrow.

20190524_174229.jpg

Last edited:
Received my shipping notice on the thumb rest and lower styled cheek rest from Anarchy. Still awaiting final production of the replacement spigot though.

Reactions: samb300
Received my shipping notice on the thumb rest and lower styled cheek rest from Anarchy. Still awaiting final production of the replacement spigot though.
Nice! You’ll have to let me know what you think of the low cheek piece. You have the AX buttstock on your AT, correct?

Spigots are still in work, the AT version is first and the AE/AW versions will be next. I believe the AT spigots are machined and at anodizing, but I will have to confirm with Anarchy to be sure.

Reactions: Defender3
Switched it back to the 6.5cm barrel. Still digging the longer handguard. Got a couple hours this morning to go throw some bullets. Was feeling ok today. I’ve shot better and I’ve shot worse.
18953E77-644F-4DA3-9AB9-40225371DE0E.jpeg

Got some numbers off the magneto. This is the last 28 rounds of the day. I’m defiantly ok with that. 41.5 H4350 under 140 ELD. I did pierce 4 or 5 primers today tho (2014 LFP AX308) looks like I’ll be sending it out to be bushed. I might try a stouter load with some Hornady LRP brass and see how the primers look but I’m sure bushed is best option.
932878B5-7475-4A0F-B806-9E4B6E7A1A75.jpeg

First 10 rounds of the day. And about how the rest of the day would go 1/2 to 3/4 when I got really lazy.
5E352D35-7F68-4B97-9FCA-FADC9C0E5AE9.jpeg

Best “group” of anyone cares. This one was only a 3 shot group
93045169-52E0-4860-BC09-231F247E22C7.jpeg

These rifles are hammers. Literally and figuratively.....

Attachments

• 3F34509A-C0A6-44C4-88C5-B3679B14E273.jpeg
    3F34509A-C0A6-44C4-88C5-B3679B14E273.jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 42
Switched it back to the 6.5cm barrel. Still digging the longer handguard. Got a couple hours this morning to go throw some bullets. Was feeling ok today. I’ve shot better and I’ve shot worse.
View attachment 7083788
Got some numbers off the magneto. This is the last 28 rounds of the day. I’m defiantly ok with that. 41.5 H4350 under 140 ELD. I did pierce 4 or 5 primers today tho (2014 LFP AX308) looks like I’ll be sending it out to be bushed. I might try a stouter load with some Hornady LRP brass and see how the primers look but I’m sure bushed is best option.
View attachment 7083787
First 10 rounds of the day. And about how the rest of the day would go 1/2 to 3/4 when I got really lazy.
View attachment 7083789
Best “group” of anyone cares. This one was only a 3 shot group
View attachment 7083786
These rifles are hammers. Literally and figuratively.....

Have you looked at getting a sfp bolt from mile high rather than mess with bushings and turning down fp's?

Great shooting btw

Have you looked at getting a sfp bolt from mile high rather than mess with bushings and turning down fp's?

Great shooting btw
id rather not spend $800 on it lol. At least last time I looked into it that’s what it was. LRI has done enough and has fast turnaround so that’s probably the route I’ll go. I get it, I’m sure it’s bomb proof when having it done compared to buying the parts but I’ve heard enough good stories about chads work on this specific topic and I’m not worried about anything on that end of things. I might call Mile High this week and see what they say about the new bolts to be sure I’m still properly educated on the matter.

I

id rather not spend $800 on it lol. At least last time I looked into it that’s what it was. LRI has done enough and has fast turnaround so that’s probably the route I’ll go. I get it, I’m sure it’s bomb proof when having it done compared to buying the parts but I’ve heard enough good stories about chads work on this specific topic and I’m not worried about anything on that end of things.

Think mine was 600 but yep I'm sure LRI does a great job on it.

Reactions: trob_205
Out of curiosity, any of you guys with AT’s use your short action for 22-250 and if so how do they feed out of the mag?

Out of curiosity, any of you guys with AT’s use your short action for 22-250 and if so how do they feed out of the mag?

I’ve wondered this myself. It seems it would work, at most a BR style mag adapter may be required.

I am sure that the 3rd party wasn't paying the bill. There are several companies that specialize in these areas. Usually, they will charge you an upfront charge based on the number of items you want them to offer. They have a supply chain that makes the items and sometimes ships direct to the purchaser. The middle man collects fees to reflect their setup, management and logistics of their suppliers. AI may have to pay an initial amount to cover the first inventory or may not. I've seen it done both ways.

I believe it is not a priority for them.

It wasn't a 3rd party. It was a very kind older woman who worked there. It was her pet project. When they lost her toncancer they all took it hard.

Yes, we all want cool gear, but calm down. They lost a friend in this kind woman. They can take as long as they need as far as I'm concerned.

When I heard the story I recognized the loss in the man's voice as he told me. I immediately realized a new t shirt and some stickers could wait.

It wasn't a 3rd party. It was a very kind older woman who worked there. It was her pet project. When they lost her toncancer they all took it hard.

Yes, we all want cool gear, but calm down. They lost a friend in this kind woman. They can take as long as they need as far as I'm concerned.

When I heard the story I recognized the loss in the man's voice as he told me. I immediately realized a new t shirt and some stickers could wait.

Perspective

In case anyone is interested in how an AXMC (300wm) shoots in a factory configuration as an average shooter using average ammunition, here is some non-cherry picked group data from my 25 shot session today @ 100 yards. Unfortunately, prone was not an option so I had to shoot from a bench. I’ve attached some Ballistic-X shots of the two best groups.

First Group (center)

Point of aim was straight in the middle of the diamond running 180gr Hornady hunting rounds. Cold bore, clean barrel. I used this group to foul the barrel. I knew this group was going to be subpar so I didn’t really focus each shot. 1.32MOA

Second group (top right)

Point of aim was straight in the middle of the diamond. I used Hornady ELD Match 195gr for this group and the rest of the groups. 1.03 MOA.

Third group (bottom right)

I stopped aiming at the diamonds and switch to intersections. As a result, I was able to get a much more consistent hold on the target. 0.95 MOA

Fourth and Fifth groups (top left, bottom right)

I took my time with these groups. Point of aim was on the intersection, made sure to load the bipod, triple checked the leveler, established a natural point of aim, etc. 0.43 MOA and 0.53 MOA. I even got the desired “clover” pattern. The last group looked like 3 shots but it’s actually 5 where 2 shots entered the exact same holes. Pretty amazing.

Takeaways

- Aim small, miss small. It’s better to aim at a cross than a diamond.
- Technique matters and ammo matters. The AXMC is a great rifle, but it won’t make slippers perform like track shoes. I’m going to stick with Hornady ELD Match for the best groups since I don’t load my own ammo.
- I also think it’s no surprise that the best groups came after the barrel was fouled a bit and warmed up.

Last edited:
eo3x0 do we have a picture of this rifle? :unsure:

No, but I plan to upload one when I pretty it up a bit. Right now it's just a stock AXMC (not even a Really Right Stuff plate like 99% of the AXMCs out there :ROFLMAO:) and I'm running a low-end Athlon Optic that's borrowed from my 700. When the budget opens up and I get a chance to dress it up a bit, I'll post a pic!

Hey, we all started somewhere. ;) Here's mine with it's first scope that actually did very well was a $400 Athlon. Whatever puts rounds on target......

IMG_3639-002-L.jpg

1558917099342.jpg

Got back to the farm from some bailing today and had a few minutes to lay down and throw 5 at some paper at 275 now that I have the 6.5 barrel back on. It was a rushed session with having to get home for dinner, a storm imminent and the light fading but aside from rushing and the resulting piss poor trigger control I'm fairly pleased with it. I'm confident that once I get back to shooting regularly it'll improve a bit.

Looking for some help/information. I recently acquired my first AI a new AXMC model. I have 338LM, 308 Win. and 6.5CM barrels for it. I seem to be having some issues with primer flow on this gun. When I say flow I mean high sharp edges that can be noticeably seen. I’ve even had a primer punctured on factory Hornady 308 168gr A-Max TAP. Also I will add, this is all on new factory ammunition not max + hand loads. None of these rounds have any pressure signs of extractor or ejector marks nor is there a problem with stiff bolt lift. Is this normal for AI or are there some adjustments I need to make?

I did a search of this site and could not find much info on this topic.

Looking for some help/information. I recently acquired my first AI a new AXMC model. I have 338LM, 308 Win. and 6.5CM barrels for it. I seem to be having some issues with primer flow on this gun. When I say flow I mean high sharp edges that can be noticeably seen. I’ve even had a primer punctured on factory Hornady 308 168gr A-Max TAP. Also I will add, this is all on new factory ammunition not max + hand loads. None of these rounds have any pressure signs of extractor or ejector marks nor is there a problem with stiff bolt lift. Is this normal for AI or are there some adjustments I need to make?

Lots of threads and posts on this topic on the hide. Look for axmc sfp vs lfp. It's a known issue. Either bush your bolt or buy a sfp bolt from ai.

Last edited:
Is this normal for AI or are there some adjustments I need to make?

Normal. Send your bolt to LRI and have Chad bush it.

I wouldn’t bush the bolt. Then your going to have to do that to both bolts. I know it sucks, but buy a SFP bolt assy for the SA stuff.

As others have mentioned you need the SPF assembly. This is the part to buy: https://www.eurooptic.com/Accuracy-International-AXMC-SFP-Bolt-Assembly-Complete-Black-28340BL.aspx

It’s backordered so you’ll need to wait quite a while to get your hands on it. I’m in the same boat.

I'm aware of this issue with small primer brass, and hot handloads, but I wasn't aware of any known problem with pierced primers using factory .308 ammo, or other rounds using large primers. In fact, I have around 2000 rounds of factory Hornady .308 Win. 168gr AMAX TAP, and about 1000 rounds of factory and handloaded 6.5CM using large primers, through my AXMC without an issue. I would talk to MHSA about having them check the firing pin protrusion, unless you have the tools to check it yourself. If that is within specs, and they determine the cause to be an excessively large firing pin hole, I would expect them to repair or replace that bolt under warranty. If you plan on shooting SA cartridges using small primer brass, I'd just follow the above advice.

Reactions: Badfinger
A bit disheartened after shooting this weekend. I had put my new 260 barrel on my AXMC and was running FGMM through it practicing positional stuff before I checked groups and speed. Shot Saturday at 567 and things seemed to be ok. Sunday morning I had 100 rounds down the barrel and wanted to try FGMM, Berger, and ELDM factory loads. I think the best group was 1.5 outside to outside. Speeds were not great and high ES. I ended up shooting another 100 rounds Sunday morning with poor results. I cleaned it last night, took the barrel off and reinstalled, and re torqued the scope mount. I’m gonna try some FGMM today after work and see if I can’t get a group closer to 3/4. Hopefully cleaning did the trick.

A bit disheartened after shooting this weekend. I had put my new 260 barrel on my AXMC and was running FGMM through it practicing positional stuff before I checked groups and speed. Shot Saturday at 567 and things seemed to be ok. Sunday morning I had 100 rounds down the barrel and wanted to try FGMM, Berger, and ELDM factory loads. I think the best group was 1.5 outside to outside. Speeds were not great and high ES. I ended up shooting another 100 rounds Sunday morning with poor results. I cleaned it last night, took the barrel off and reinstalled, and re torqued the scope mount. I’m gonna try some FGMM today after work and see if I can’t get a group closer to 3/4. Hopefully cleaning did the trick.

I'll post later when I get home and can review my targets, but I had the same experience with my new .260 barrel, nothing would group. I did a clean and inspect, and removed and reinstalled the scope mount and barrel. When I went back out, I could get the Prime and ELD-Ms to group at a half MOA or bette, but the FGMM and three types of factory Berger were all greater than 1 MOA. The barrel also seem slow, 2815fps for the Prime, which I thought would be in the 2875 range. I expect the barrel to speed up once I get a couple hundred rounds out, but maybe others can comment.

I intended to check BTO for the factory Prime against the Hornady and others to see what this barrel prefers, but I got sidetracked this weekend.

I'll post later when I get home and can review my targets, but I had the same experience with my new .260 barrel, nothing would group. I did a clean and inspect, and removed and reinstalled the scope mount and barrel. When I went back out, I could get the Prime and ELD-Ms to group at a half MOA or bette, but the FGMM and three types of factory Berger were all greater than 1 MOA. The barrel also seem slow, 2815fps for the Prime, which I thought would be in the 2875 range. I expect the barrel to speed up once I get a couple hundred rounds out, but maybe others can comment.

I intended to check BTO for the factory Prime against the Hornady and others to see what this barrel prefers, but I got sidetracked this weekend.

I have a ton of FGMM and in my previous barrel it would shoot awesome. I have one 1/4” group from it so I was surprised this did so poor. I know I tested a little early with only 100 rounds down the barrel when I started, so it’s also possible it was still speeding up then. When I tested the three for speed, everything was slow. I ordered more Berger ammo and hopefully that will be here this week. I didn’t order more ELDM’s, I’m hoping either the FGMM or Berger shoots well and I can run one of those.

I have a ton of FGMM and in my previous barrel it would shoot awesome. I have one 1/4” group from it so I was surprised this did so poor. I know I tested a little early with only 100 rounds down the barrel when I started, so it’s also possible it was still speeding up then. When I tested the three for speed, everything was slow. I ordered more Berger ammo and hopefully that will be here this week. I didn’t order more ELDM’s, I’m hoping either the FGMM or Berger shoots well and I can run one of those.

I tested the Berger 130, 136 and 140 with less than stellar results. I hope your mileage varies...

From what I've read, the Berger 140s are like hens teeth again. I'd be looking at a more available bullet ifbit were me.

I shoot Lapua 139gr Scenar's in .260, they have always been easy to get and shoot very well. Is that an option?

Bergers are on and off impossible to get in Australia, whenever they are in stock everyone panic buys whatever they can get their hands on... Not ideal.

.260? I'm not getting anywhere near that grouping.

This is what I was getting with the Bergers and FGMM.

IMG_0946-2_JPG-961322.jpg

I know this isn’t what you want to hear but factory ammo is finicky depending on the reamer/chamber.

My factory AI 6.5CM barrel didn’t shoot Hornady ELDM nor Prime well. SD 15-20 and ES 40-60. I gave Federal a try and even worse. Hornady Black (now American Gunner) would shoot lights out for one lot and then the next go to shit. I was all about to dive into reloading until I tried the Berger ammo; single digit to low teen SD’s and ES 20-35. It has been golden for 500-600 rounds now with similar results over 3 different lots.

Point of all that, was to say keep trying factory ammo within your budgets reason until you find something it likes.

I had the exact opposite results with my .308 shorty. Loves the 168 FGMM. First ammo I tried

I received and installed my Sam B low check rest and thumb rest; I'm liking them.

I changed the AT stock for an AX and the cheek rest, adjusted to the lowest limit, was right at the edge of usable. The check rest was an easy install and it lowered the height by 5/16ths over factory.

IMG_1199-1_JPG-961402.jpg

The thumb rest was just as easy, remove the retention nipple and replace the original screw with a newly supplied screw.

IMG_1200-1_JPG-961401.jpg

Last edited:
I received and installed my Sam B low check rest and thumb rest; I'm liking them.

I changed the AT stock for an AX and the cheek rest, adjusted to the lowest limit, was right at the edge of usable. The check rest was an easy install and it lowered the height by 5/16ths over factory.

IMG_1199-1_JPG-961402.jpg

The thumb rest was a bit more difficult ONLY because when I changed the stock and re-expoxied the stem, it glued in the cup that held the stock retention nipple. Instead of being able to replace the cup with the Anarchy model, I simply resued the existing cup and screw. Not as professional looking as the replacement, but it works the same.

IMG_1200-1_JPG-961401.jpg

Looks great, glad they're working for you so far!

The thumb rest install onto the AX buttstock should've been just fine without removing the factory metal threaded flange piece. I believe the AX buttstock comes with that assembly already installed? The "AT" version of the thumb rest comes with those extra pieces included, since the AT has dual flush cups above the grip, whereas the AX has the weak side flush cup and strong side metal threaded piece.

Looks great, glad they're working for you so far!

The thumb rest install onto the AX buttstock should've been just fine without removing the factory metal threaded flange piece. I believe the AX buttstock comes with that assembly already installed? The "AT" version of the thumb rest comes with those extra pieces included, since the AT has dual flush cups above the grip, whereas the AX has the weak side flush cup and strong side metal threaded piece.

Yes, as you described. Operator error, that flush screw fits just fine.

Last edited:
Short update. Made it out with @RoterJager last night. Shot three rounds to foul after cleaning then shot 2 five round groups and 1 ten shot string to check speed and ES/SD. The groups were better, not awesome, but better. Enough to make me have hope again. The speed was also better, but the ES/SD still leave some to be desired. All testing today was FGMM. I have 60 more Berger rounds coming, hopefully by the weekend.

I love shooting 260, but seeing the 6.5CM numbers that @RoterJager was getting did make me a little jealous. Hopefully the Berger ammo will shoot great when it gets here.

Short update. Made it out with @RoterJager last night. Shot three rounds to foul after cleaning then shot 2 five round groups and 1 ten shot string to check speed and ES/SD. The groups were better, not awesome, but better. Enough to make me have hope again. The speed was also better, but the ES/SD still leave some to be desired. All testing today was FGMM. I have 60 more Berger rounds coming, hopefully by the weekend.

I love shooting 260, but seeing the 6.5CM numbers that @RoterJager was getting did make me a little jealous. Hopefully the Berger ammo will shoot great when it gets here.

I wonder if we should start another thread just talking to the .260 AI's? Seems that at least three of us are having issues inconsistent with shooter's using other calibers.

For those of you running federal gold metal through a factory AI barrel, what do you find generally does the best, the 168s, 175s or the 7.62x51 175s?