• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International Picture Thread

The 1994 second from the left. Would you mind discussing it? I have some questions for you. I'm also a bit of an AI collector.

You have a good eye.

That's a very interesting one.

It has no importation marks on it and the receiver is actually a Coopermatch series as it is marked for iron sights on the dovetail.
I don't recall off hand what year is on the receiver, but that is an original AT model. I believe it was know as the Accuracy Target. The original AT, just as the new model, used a 6 lug bolt on short action calibers. In addition it had the two position safety that most will recognize from the AE model but true aficionados will remember from the Coopermatch series. The barrel is the original SS with the step downed muzzle for attachment of the front sight.
Truth be told I have not fired that rifle in about 10 years.

You have a good eye.

That's a very interesting one.

It has no importation marks on it and the receiver is actually a Coopermatch series as it is marked for iron sights on the dovetail.
I don't recall off hand what year is on the receiver, but that is an original AT model. I believe it was know as the Accuracy Target. The original AT, just as the new model, used a 6 lug bolt on short action calibers. In addition it had the two position safety that most will recognize from the AE model but true aficionados will remember from the Coopermatch series. The barrel is the original SS with the step downed muzzle for attachment of the front sight.
Truth be told I have not fired that rifle in about 10 years.

Thank you, Rolex.

IIRC, the extractor also shared the same features as what is used on the magnum calibers and not the now common leaf spring short action style. AW mags, and a somewhat odd cut on the bolt body. I remember when the new AT came out, I thought to myself, "But they already had an AT, didn't they?"

Most of my A.I. collection. Minus two of my AEs and one AWSM. I shoot an '03 AW the most, but my '96 AWSM in .300WM is my favorite. I pulled the original two port brake and fixed cheek sides off the AWSM and replaced them with the newer quad port brake and 1.5 cheek/skins. Kept the old parts, though.

output.jpg

I thought pale brown was a post 2014 color. Your AX is pre '14 making it Dark Earth. That is what I was told by eurooptic anyway.

Sorry for the off-topic question, but what is typical of the off-the-shelf accuracy of an AI AX MC, for example a 100 yard 5 shot group? Let's assume an expert shooter on a good day, shooting 338LM. I'm asking because I have an MPA 338LM that will get down into the .3 MOA range on a good day and I'm jonesing to sell it and get an AI.

I don’t have a 338 barrel for mine but if I were to guess I would say you would be hard pressed to beat .3 with a 338. You will however gain amazing performance under any circumstances.

Reactions: TripleBull
Does anyone know if the handguard on the AX Short Action and AXMC are interchangeable? I'd prefer the 16" handguard on the short action vs the 13" it comes with...

Does anyone know if the handguard on the AX Short Action and AXMC are interchangeable? I'd prefer the 16" handguard on the short action vs the 13" it comes with...

They are interchangeable, and if you’re interested I’ve got the longer one since I have an AXMC. I’d trade you. It’s pale brown.

Sorry for the off-topic question, but what is typical of the off-the-shelf accuracy of an AI AX MC, for example a 100 yard 5 shot group? Let's assume an expert shooter on a good day, shooting 338LM. I'm asking because I have an MPA 338LM that will get down into the .3 MOA range on a good day and I'm jonesing to sell it and get an AI.

338lm good day for me will be .3 moa, normal day will be .5 moa, My reload avg ES under 15fps

308 5shot group avg .4 moa *FGM 185gr Jug

Both Factory AI barrel.

Last edited:

Not a 338 but this was me sighting in my AXMC AINA 308 barrel yesterday with 168 fgmm. 3 on the left then adjusted for 2 on the right. Hopefully it helps a little. And I’m not a great shooter by any means.

3C644E19-F39B-4CFC-8840-C8CB9EA2F69F.jpeg

Attachments

• E417C604-E105-4F2A-92C3-1BA29E484F17.jpeg
    E417C604-E105-4F2A-92C3-1BA29E484F17.jpeg
    526 KB · Views: 211

At 100 yards, most A.I. rifles in any caliber will shoot a 5-shot one hole group with match quality ammo. That is more than rule than the exception. I honestly do not measure groups inside of 600 yards. You can look at a group and tell if it's good or not. When I got my first AX338 I zeroed at 100 yards and figured I'd wring it out a bit just to compare to my AWSM338. I used factory Lapua 250gr Lock Base ammo, and after a good zero and magnetospeed/Kestrel work up, my neighbor and I combined to shoot a 10-shot group at 400 yards that you could cover with a 50 cent piece. Two shooters with 5-shot groups. Same place. Works for me. My most heavily used AW308 has a barrel pushing 7k rounds through it. Yes, 7k. Still shoots a full mag into a quarter sized group or better, so why rebarrel?

I have personally owned 21 A.I. rifles. I still have 13. I've shot... a lot more than that. In all honesty, I have never found the rifle to be at fault when any issues arose.

Just my take.

Thank you for the detailed response, Jim. I hear you on shooting a 338 at distance - that's what they are for. I zeroed my MPA 338LM at 200 yards, but it's spent over 90% of it's time at 600 yards and beyond.

At this point, I just have to pick a color and drop the wad of cash. I'm convinced.

Reactions: Jim Keeney
Thank you for the detailed response, Jim. I hear you on shooting a 338 at distance - that's what they are for. I zeroed my MPA 338LM at 200 yards, but it's spent over 90% of it's time at 600 yards and beyond.

At this point, I just have to pick a color and drop the wad of cash. I'm convinced.

Having gone through quite a few, I'll say this: Do not be afraid to buy a used A.I. They won't wear out and the savings can be substantial. Also, though the looks will draw you to it, a color scheme will never make it shoot/perform any better. Again, just my take, but I understand it's also tough to look past aesthetics when you're dropping that kind of coin.

Reactions: TripleBull
Covert? Looks like a short tube and an SF brake; but I do not have access to the article.

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 1.19.04 PM.png

3 Questions:

1. I have at one time seen a picture of a pre-2014 AIAX rifle with the legacy thumbhole rear skins. Does anyone have a picture of it? I cannot find a picture on Google. Just trying to get an idea as I remember it being extremely sexy. That and MHSA has a pre-2014 for $4,500.

2. To those who own non "quic-loc" AI rifles, how much of a pain is it to switch barrels? Looking at the AIAT currently (green, non-folding, .308, 20", threaded from MHSA), but can be persuaded.

3. Question to follow that up for those with AIAT rifles. Do you feel like you should have saved a bit more for the AIAX with the key slot forend? I do not see myself adjusting the buttstock once I have it adjusted to fit me, so I am mainly looking for feedback concerning the forend assembly. I understand its all preference, just needing to ask.

Thanks!

View attachment 6915813Don’t forget about the Elite Sand

I went to Mile High on Saturday to look at Elite Sand, and liked it. This rifle will be left to my younger son, so I put the Sage Green and Elite Sand in front of him to pick since either would have worked for me. I probably stressed over it too much, but it's a big wad of cash and I already bought the drool bucket, so there you go.

3 Questions:

1. I have at one time seen a picture of a pre-2014 AIAX rifle with the legacy thumbhole rear skins. Does anyone have a picture of it? I cannot find a picture on Google. Just trying to get an idea as I remember it being extremely sexy. That and MHSA has a pre-2014 for $4,500.

2. To those who own non "quic-loc" AI rifles, how much of a pain is it to switch barrels? Looking at the AIAT currently (green, non-folding, .308, 20", threaded from MHSA), but can be persuaded.

3. Question to follow that up for those with AIAT rifles. Do you feel like you should have saved a bit more for the AIAX with the key slot forend? I do not see myself adjusting the buttstock once I have it adjusted to fit me, so I am mainly looking for feedback concerning the forend assembly. I understand its all preference, just needing to ask.

Thanks!
2. Pain? None. You can switch barrels as fast as you can screw the barrel off and on.
3. Not for me but looking at the pics on this thread I'm def in the minority.

Reactions: PBWalsh
@LA260

I know the AT and post-14’ AX is a simple screw off/screw on and torque fo 49 in/lbs.

I was asking about the barrel change for a pre-14’ AX. It is my understanding that requires a bench vice and wrenches?

My thought is to have a primary .308 barrel, a .308 cast lead bullet barrel, and maybe a 6/6.5 match barrel.

3 Questions:

Thanks!
E41C4B8A-D185-4FCE-AB08-38AE8D8B2F41.jpeg
#3 it all depends on how you intended to use your rifle and the flexibility it will offer.

@LA260

I know the AT and post-14’ AX is a simple screw off/screw on and torque fo 49 in/lbs.

I was asking about the barrel change for a pre-14’ AX. It is my understanding that requires a bench vice and wrenches?

My thought is to have a primary .308 barrel, a .308 cast lead bullet barrel, and maybe a 6/6.5 match barrel.

You're correct, barrel vice and action wrench. Takes 5 minutes on the pre-14's. Nothing complicated, just not too field friendly...

My AX is going on a road trip with me to UtahView attachment 6909765View attachment 6909766

You should look into the offerings from Tuffy and Truck Vault if you plan to travel like that often. Im not sure if they are making under seat options for the Alumiduty yet, but I would look into it. I don't know what part of Texas you are in, but I live on the south coast and these trucks are the number one most targeted vehicle for theft, especially in the San Antonio area. I've had three of the four that I have owned over the years broken into, luckily the 2017 has not yet fallen victim, but rolling around with a 95lb Doberman in the back seat seems to have changed the game too. In closing I am glad to see that it will fit completely outfitted under there.

Pbwalsh,

In answer I am more than happy with the AT, as opposed to another AI variant. However I do not need the flexibility some may want from the key mod forehand. I hunt deer and shoot competitions with mine. Anything that I might need to hang off it can be done with an NV bridge, or pic rails. I am a bit of a less is more. Others may want more flexibility or just appreciate the aesthetics

Yeah I’m 95% sure I’ll go with an AT. Ideally (after shooting up the factory barrel) I’ll have a primary 20”, 9 or 10 twist .308 barrel, a 30” 10T .308 barrel, and maybe a 24” 6/6.5 match barrel.

3 rifles in one, all changing in a minute is very appealing.

Reactions: Jim Keeney
You should look into the offerings from Tuffy and Truck Vault if you plan to travel like that often. Im not sure if they are making under seat options for the Alumiduty yet, but I would look into it. I don't know what part of Texas you are in, but I live on the south coast and these trucks are the number one most targeted vehicle for theft, especially in the San Antonio area. I've had three of the four that I have owned over the years broken into, luckily the 2017 has not yet fallen victim, but rolling around with a 95lb Doberman in the back seat seems to have changed the game too. In closing I am glad to see that it will fit completely outfitted under there.
Tex68w, Thanks for the heads up on the products to secure the gear. I'll look into them as I have a few places I hunt and shoot close to home my rifle always rides with me. I'm not sure how I gave you the impression I'm from Texas, it would be nice but I'm up in Ohio. Thankfully on my 5000 mile trip to Utah and back we didn't have any problems!! I think I spoke with you before about the BDS lift for the Alumiduty. Last note on the rifle, it is a tight fit, the S&B ultra short luckily has short turrets or it wouldn't fit

Tuffy does make an under seat box that fits under the backseat of the F-150 quad cabs.

If it's for a 2015+ F-150 then it'll work on the 2017+ F-250/350/450 because they share the same cab. Good to know, I'll have to look into that further.

Tex68w, Thanks for the heads up on the products to secure the gear. I'll look into them as I have a few places I hunt and shoot close to home my rifle always rides with me. I'm not sure how I gave you the impression I'm from Texas, it would be nice but I'm up in Ohio. Thankfully on my 5000 mile trip to Utah and back we didn't have any problems!! I think I spoke with you before about the BDS lift for the Alumiduty. Last note on the rifle, it is a tight fit, the S&B ultra short luckily has short turrets or it wouldn't fit

I'm not sure why I thought that you were from Texas, must have had you mixed up with someone else from another thread?!

I do vaguely recall the lift convo, what did you end up with? Your truck looks great btw! I have been more focused on building my Power Wagon than the Alumiduty as of late, but she'll get some more attention when things settle down here in a few months. The misses drives mine to work most days, she loves it but she keeps hinting at trading it in for a new Land Cruiser so we shall see.