• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International Picture Thread

VideoCapture_20210104-182913.jpg

Got out for some barricade training on Sunday. The AX rocks.

Question for anyone and everyone. Have any of you tried to get your AX as light as possible to make it a bearable hunting rifle? I have a 24” 6.5cm barrel and a 18” 308 barrel. Love the length of the 308 barrel but definitely still pretty heavy. Thinking about sending the 6.5 barrel to Chad at LRI for some of his crazy fluting or offing both barrels for a carbon barrel, and dumping the Gen 2 razor for a 3-18 MK5 or something along those lines.

What’s the lightest you’ve guys have gotten an AX down to? Priorities have shifted a bit but selling the AI isn’t really an option and the pocket book isn’t big enough for another nice rifle.

The lightest setup (empty) I have been able to achieve on my AXSA is 13lb-9oz:

AXSA, no bipod
Proof 16.5" .308 barrel w/ APA LB brake
NF ATACR 4-16x50
NF A357 mount with RAP

It's ass heavy like this. I use a 20oz suppressor to balance the rifle, and tame the bark.

The lightest setup (empty) I have been able to achieve on my AXSA is 13lb-9oz:

AXSA, no bipod
Proof 16.5" .308 barrel w/ APA LB brake
NF ATACR 4-16x50
NF A357 mount with RAP

It's ass heavy like this. I use a 20oz suppressor to balance the rifle, and tame the bark.

Got any pictures of yer setup? Is that 13.9 with scope?

Yes. 13.6lbs as pictured below.
View attachment 7519708
View attachment 7519709

However, I almost never shoot it like this. I have a heavy direct thd SS can that adds weight back over the front end:

View attachment 7519713
Nice looking rig.

Only way to go lighter is to remove the top forend pic rail, use a shorter (3.14") pic rail on the bottom of the forend, and remove the plastic front handguard. Could also delete the rear plastic "bag rider" and the 3.14" pic rail that it attaches to.

Nice looking rig.

Only way to go lighter is to remove the top forend pic rail, use a shorter (3.14") pic rail on the bottom of the forend, and remove the plastic front handguard. Could also delete the rear plastic "bag rider" and the 3.14" pic rail that it attaches to.

I guess you could go really crazy and cut down the fore end and shed some more weight? I was thinking of using my AT for a hunting rifle then I bonded the AO on and that thought went away pretty quickly haha

Reactions: RS14
okay now that we have a 13.6lb rifle, who wants to throw their hat in the ring for the heaviest?

okay now that we have a 13.6lb rifle, who wants to throw their hat in the ring for the heaviest?

Wait was 13lbs supposed to be light? Most probably sits betweem 17-20lbs. Mines like 18iirm

I guess you could go really crazy and cut down the fore end and shed some more weight? I was thinking of using my AT for a hunting rifle then I bonded the AO on and that thought went away pretty quickly haha

Just take it off. This was as light as I could get it with my hunting scope thrown on there. 11lb-14oz. Rings are too low to get a good sight picture, but the concept is there. From here one could 3D print a non adjustable butt pad mount, and use the low profile cheek piece, low scope rail. upper 10lb range is possible.

File_000 (1).jpeg

I think my AT with the AO chassis and a heavy varmint comes in around 21lbs but I'll have to check again.

Just take it off. This was as light as I could get it with my hunting scope thrown on there. 11lb-14oz. Rings are too low to get a good sight picture, but the concept is there. From here one could 3D print a non adjustable butt pad mount, and use the low profile cheek piece, low scope rail. upper 10lb range is possible.

View attachment 7519968

@samb300

Any chance you could make me a simple, light weight NV rail/forend that attaches to the AX, that has the factory forend removed (like in pic)?

And a lighter weight RRS rail attachment for front plastic handguard?

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
My GTAC has been hanging out in Chicago for over a week now, Alan is a
Super dude to work with, USPS not so much.
Did you ever get movement on your GTAC? Mine has been in Shitcago since 12/21.

@samb300

Any chance you could make me a simple, light weight NV rail/forend that attaches to the AX, that has the factory forend removed (like in pic)?

And a lighter weight RRS rail attachment for front plastic handguard?
I honestly don’t see the benefit, you’re talking saving a few ounces for something the rifle wasn’t really designed for. Even if you cut the weight of each piece in half, what does saving 8 or maybe 12 ounces really get you?

Anything can be designed and made for a price, but it’s likely the market for something like that is extremely limited.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
If anyone is wondering, here is the weight of the AT buttstock versus the AX. Note that these are weights WITHOUT the folding hinge, but they are the folding variants of the buttstock.

They are a lot closer than I was expecting.

AT= 1 lb 13 oz
AX = 2 lb 2 oz

017F3703-8B98-4847-BC04-58B7111CFEF1.jpeg

087C9032-1574-47F2-BF73-FE012D4B0A7A.jpeg

I honestly don’t see the benefit, you’re talking saving a few ounces for something the rifle wasn’t really designed for. Even if you cut the weight of each piece in half, what does saving 8 or maybe 12 ounces really get you?

Anything can be designed and made for a price, but it’s likely the market for something like that is extremely limited.

The hunting market is Yyuge... And giving that market a bomb proof hunter I think would be the cats meow. The AI has never failed me, even hunting in -30°F weather. Frozen and snow covered the AI keeps shooting. Now if you can save me some ounces here, it adds up to pounds in combination with thinner contour barrels, lighter scope, etc. For unsupported positional (hunting situations), field movement, and conserving energy in the field those ounces are a big deal, especially when fatigue sets in.

Curious, what's that AX stock weigh with plastic bag rider and pic rail removed?

The hunting market is Yyuge... And giving that market a bomb proof hunter I think would be the cats meow. The AI has never failed me, even hunting in -30°F weather. Frozen and snow covered the AI keeps shooting. Now if you can save me some ounces here, it adds up to pounds in combination with thinner contour barrels, lighter scope, etc. For unsupported positional (hunting situations), field movement, and conserving energy in the field those ounces are a big deal, especially when fatigue sets in.

Curious, what's that AX stock weigh with plastic bag rider and pic rail removed?
The hunting market is huge, but I don’t believe there is any sort of market for stripped down, $6500 AXs made as light as possible by removing the majority of their components. They’re just not lightweight hunting rifles; even if you strip it down to the action alone it’s going to be heavier than any normal hunting action. And I would much rather design my AI chassis to be lighter than try to cut 4oz from an AX tube.

Without it in front of me I’d guess that the pic rail and bag rider are 3-4oz total, if that.

The hunting market is huge, but I don’t believe there is any sort of market for stripped down, $6500 AXs made as light as possible by removing the majority of their components. They’re just not lightweight hunting rifles; even if you strip it down to the action alone it’s going to be heavier than any normal hunting action. And I would much rather design my AI chassis to be lighter than try to cut 4oz from an AX tube.

Without it in front of me I’d guess that the pic rail and bag rider are 3-4oz total, if that.

Sounds great 👍

I am interested in a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel for my AT. Milehigh has a 24" Bartlein by Win Tac. Euro Optic carries a 26" Bartlein by Win Tac with a 2018 profile. I want to shoot 1000 and am leaning towards the 26" to gain a little more velocity. Can anyone tell me about the difference in profile or anything else I might consider between the two?

Did you ever get movement on your GTAC? Mine has been in Shitcago since 12/21.
Exactly the same, I was thinking about calling the number on the usps tracking.
Haven't yet I don't know if I want to aggravate my self.
The other day I received some mags that were shipped 11/6 from about 150 miles away from me.
If I receive the GTAC stuff I'll let you know.

I am interested in a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel for my AT. Milehigh has a 24" Bartlein by Win Tac. Euro Optic carries a 26" Bartlein by Win Tac with a 2018 profile. I want to shoot 1000 and am leaning towards the 26" to gain a little more velocity. Can anyone tell me about the difference in profile or anything else I might consider between the two?

The 2018 profile is thicker and heavier... Both will hammer. Velocity I bet is minimal between the two... Probably less than 50fps

Reactions: RS14
Profile will be the same. You should have more than enough velocity with factory ammo and the 24” barrel to have solid consistent hits at 1000 yards.

You might see up to a 50fps drop going from a 26" to a 24" barrel, but it certainly won't be significant enough to affect your ability to connect at 1000 yds. You can see for yourself if you open your favorite ballistics calculator and run the numbers for a 140 ELDM at 2750fps and 2700fps.

If you primarily shoot "PRS" style matches, the extra length of the 26" and a heavier profile will help you more with balance on props than the velocity will help you.

If you primarily shoot for fun, plinking, mainly prone or off a bench on a "square" range, or with a suppressor, the 24" will work just fine.

I will add that I primarily shoot PRS style comps, and solely use 24" Bartleins with a 7" suppressor.

I’m running a 24” 2018 bartlein win tac AI barrel in 6.5cm and have no issues connecting with the 1k plates. It’s almost too easy. Im pushing 140gr berger hybrids at 2760fps and getting 7.8mil to 1k at ~4700’ ASL.

Reactions: BlackRifle
Thank you for that response. i shoot for fun, plinking, mainly prone or off a bench and with a 9" suppressor so the extra length won't bother me.

I called Euro Optic back. They have a dark earth which would match my skins which might be nice but now am told they don't know which barrel blank is used. Anyone know that?

Thank you for that response. i shoot for fun, plinking, mainly prone or off a bench and with a 9" suppressor so the extra length won't bother me.

I called Euro Optic back. They have a dark earth which would match my skins which might be nice but now am told they don't know which barrel blank is used. Anyone know that?
If it’s a win tac barrel it should be a bartlein.

Exactly the same, I was thinking about calling the number on the usps tracking.
Haven't yet I don't know if I want to aggravate my self.
The other day I received some mags that were shipped 11/6 from about 150 miles away from me.
If I receive the GTAC stuff I'll let you know.
Yes, I quoted myself .
Called the phone number on USPS tracking, As suspected, excercise is futility.

Yes, I quoted myself .
Called the phone number on USPS tracking, As suspected, excercise is futility.
Order Shipped 12-16-20 received 1-2-21. arrived in Chicago 12-22-20 never showed any progress until out for delivery on Jan 2nd. I placed a call to the USPS and was told I could not initiate a tracking claim that it would have to be the sender. Thankfully they arrived 2 days later.

Reactions: Zeroit