• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Act of Valor

Re: Act of Valor

yeah, I have to admit I can't wait to see this. I may even go on opening day.

Cant wait for Act of Valor movie It looks pretty good movie i am excited for this movie

I got to see an advanced screening last night. I'm not gonna say whethor it was good or not. I will say that its almost nonstop action. I will probably see it again. And because I'm a gun nerd I noticed in the scene where the sentry is taken out by the sniper, he is using a DPMS LR308.

Just read a review on it in my latest VFW magazine. It said it was done well and pretty credible. Not too often that happens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jb7032</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got to see an advanced screening last night. I'm not gonna say whethor it was good or not. I will say that its almost nonstop action. I will probably see it again. And because I'm a gun nerd I noticed in the scene where the sentry is taken out by the sniper, he is using a DPMS LR308. </div></div>

Presumably you are talking about the scene where the team pops a bad guy who is standing on either a boat deck or the edge of a dock. When the sentry gets popped he falls back and is caught by a team member in the water. Neat scene to watch.
If that is the scene you are talking about, I have a question about how that went down.

The reason I have to ask the question is that I haven't popped anybody with a T-zone shot (or any other for that matter). In the training class I attended back 8 or 10 years ago the instructor said that a T-zone shot will cause instant invoulintary muscle relaxation. I have shot several game animals with a shot between the eyes. In every instance the game animal falls straight down to the ground, no toppling over as was shown in the movie scene. Additionally, the back of the skull is blown out with a nice view of the internal grey matter. One time the target was a 5x5 bull Elk and the weight of the antlers cause the remaining portion of the skull to split, leaving me to come upon the dead Elk and see one antler sagging to the right side and one sagging the left side with skull and skin still attached. The taxidermist told me it would be more trouble than it would be worth to fix the mess because the hide on the head was so jacked up. It wasn't that big anyway and my Dad already had a nice 6 x 6 mount that would have made mine looke like a peewee.

My question is this.
Would the shot and the catch have gone down exactly that way or was the target falling back to be caught a "Hollywood" element added into the movie for effect?

I would be Hollywood more than anything. I would also assume from a neutral standing position a person would be more likely to fall backwards when shot in the head if the legs relaxed. But thats just my take on it.

Hollywood... people fall straight down, most times, just like any other animal... even if a person has their knees locked, they tend to buckle at the waist...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arkansashntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">funny how hollywood can fuck the best ideas. I hope this isnt the case on this movie because it could be really good. </div></div>

ditto

I have yet to shoot anyone so I can't really make a call on it. Don't really see a need to go shooting people to find out either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gathert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have yet to shoot anyone so I can't really make a call on it. Don't really see a need to go shooting people to find out either. </div></div>

Mythbusters did it and the body crumples/falls straight down.

Decided we're not going to the theater to see this....we'll wait until it can be bought on DVD and grab some beer, pizza, and wings....and have the guys over to watch it on the big screen here at the house.

Not opening this thread anymore, and I'll be plugging my ears when someone starts to talk about it.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Not opening this thread anymore, and I'll be plugging my ears when someone starts to talk about it....... </div></div>

You know full well that you won't be able to resist opening this thread...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not opening this thread anymore, and I'll be plugging my ears when someone starts to talk about it....... </div></div>

No problem.
I am going to watch it this weekend in the theater and if it is good I will rent it in Blueray to watch on my nice home theater system when it comes out.

No reason you can't do both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Okie Gordon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not opening this thread anymore, and I'll be plugging my ears when someone starts to talk about it....... </div></div>

No problem.
I am going to watch it this weekend in the theater and if it is good I will rent it in Blueray to watch on my nice home theater system when it comes out.

No reason you can't do both. </div></div>

Agreed! What he said^^^
I already have my tickets for tonights showing in IMAX, and if justified I will rent or buy blue ray when available.

why the R rating? Is it from the graphic violence with dangerous guns or was there sex and nudity?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why the R rating? Is it from the graphic violence with dangerous guns or was there sex and nudity? </div></div>

If there's even a drop of blood in any movie it'll get an R rating.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they are all pussies, water borne fairies </div></div>

LOL

Enjoyed the hell outta this movie today. The way it was shot, in My opinion, is going to put a hurting on big Hollywood. The camera technology is available to everyday joes for less than 5 grand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why the R rating? Is it from the graphic violence with dangerous guns or was there sex and nudity? </div></div>

Lots of violence as you would suspect.

Will be seeing it tonight. I envy those of you seeing it in IMAX. Got to see sucker punch in IMAX and the 2 story tall mini gun wielding samurai was the best part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Enjoyed the hell outta this movie today. The way it was shot, in My opinion, is going to put a hurting on big Hollywood. The camera technology is available to everyday joes for less than 5 grand. </div></div>

You start putting actors along side live fire and there are going to be accidents, unless you pick actors for intelligence instead of looks.
A couple might come out of it pretty well but a lot will look like dousches.
Of course there are a few we could stand to lose, along with a director or two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Okie Gordon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Enjoyed the hell outta this movie today. The way it was shot, in My opinion, is going to put a hurting on big Hollywood. The camera technology is available to everyday joes for less than 5 grand. </div></div>

You start putting actors along side live fire and there are going to be accidents, unless you pick actors for intelligence instead of looks.
Of course there are a few we could stand to lose, along with a director or two. </div></div>Although the live fire looks cool on screen, what I'm referring too, is the use of DSLR cameras to film the scenes. All of the action scenes were filed wit cameras You can buy at any high end photographic supply shop. Gone is the day of needing millions of dollars of equipment to shoot a movie.

navy-seals-bin-laden-confession-ecards-someecards.png

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Okie Gordon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Enjoyed the hell outta this movie today. The way it was shot, in My opinion, is going to put a hurting on big Hollywood. The camera technology is available to everyday joes for less than 5 grand. </div></div>

Of course there are a few we could stand to lose, along with a director or two. </div></div>Although the live fire looks cool on screen, what I'm referring too, is the use of DSLR cameras to film the scenes. All of the action scenes were filed wit cameras You can buy at any high end photographic supply shop. Gone is the day of needing millions of dollars of equipment to shoot a movie. </div></div>
You would be surprised how popular using dslr cameras is becoming for use in the advertising world. My wife is in the industry and she points out things all the time that were created that way. I think it's pretty cool how using something as cheap as a nikon d5000 and be used to film a commercial.

Going to see the flim tonight. I'm sure i'll get my $$$ worth.

Saw the movie tonight with the wife. We both liked the movie. The acting is not good, but that isn't the reason to see the movie. Plot is OK and the action is great. No Academy Awards, but entertaining. I was in the Navy for 24 yrs, so I'm not sure if everyone will understand the jargon, or just be confused.

Just got home from watching it. Over all not bad at all. The best part was when the boats came in from the chase and opened up with the mini gun. Damn that gun is badass sounding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That part when the sniper shoots the guy on the boat and the guy in the water catches him to avoid the splash was easily THE..MOST..BADASS..THING..I..HAVE..EVER..SEEN. </div></div>

+1 on that. Perfect timing on both ends.

Just saw it giving it a B+ I'm sure people going to disagree just my opinion b a very good movie I enjoyed it very much

I enjoyed it. As mentioned earlier...Navy Seal=High Speed Death Machine, NOT actor. They did pretty well for rank amateurs though!

Fun movie!

No nudity, no sex, very little profanity. Now what it did have; almost nonstop action with impact shots, torture implied and heard but not seen.

As for the acting I thought it to be very realistic and life like, there weren’t long cunning dialogs as this wasn’t a social movie. Comparing this movie comprised with nonprofessional actors against the last movie I watched (Red Tails) with several well known actors, Act of Valor was much better.

I actually thought after walking out of the theater that this might be a little wake up call to big Hollywood and I can see why the big time critics don’t like it. The Act of Valor crew did a great job, acting and filming. Will it win awards, not unless they start a new category “most dangerous screen play”. But most of the better movies I have liked dont win awards... After all there was a lack of sexual preference scenes and/or shocking moral standards conveyed to the audience, nor challenging political statements made or implied. Hollywood doesn’t give awards out for conveying values, responsibility or to war movies that show the United States actions in a positive light. So why would it win an award.

Now for the bloopers.

Did anyone catch during the first briefing the Captain that was addressed as a lieutenant?

I noticed that none of the EoTech sights were on. Kinda bugged me, but that was the least of my worries.

I enjoyed the movie greatly and the fact that their acting wasn't 100% hollywood just added to the appeal. You will notice that when they get away from chatty dialog and go into action that they are far more comfortable and things flow quite well for all. Goes to show there are some who can best talk the talk and those others who can walk the walk. These are walkers not talkers, cept for the Chief, he was bad assed in both.

I really enjoyed the movie. Im too much of an Idahoan to care about good acting or any of that BS, I thought they were great. When the boats come around the corner and open up with the M134's it gave me a warm fuzzy.

I thought it had a very powerful ending to the movie. Had a tear roll down...... uh I mean something was in my eye.

Loved the movie.

Call me spoiled but I would have preferred more of the action sequences and less of the other stuff.
Would have been a real simple plot to have them sitting around the campfire at the beginning having flashbacks about various missions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pizzamanny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Niles was the "LT" an O-6 or an O-3? </div></div>

0-3

OfficerRankStructureI.jpg

Hell of a movie... end of the movie choked me up a bit. Action scenes were amazing, but i feel the story needed to go deeper into the characters (thats the only hollywood i would want, keep everything else the same). I could have sat there for 10 hours and been in heaven. Great to see some appreciation for vets and active duty as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pizzamanny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Niles was the "LT" an O-6 or an O-3? </div></div>

0-3

OfficerRankStructureI.jpg
</div></div>

Guess I was wrong, thanks for setting me straight. I come from a Army family and didnt know the Navy did it different.
blush.gif

Excellent movie...I mean recruiting video!!! Not a typical Hollywood film, which is always a breath of fresh air. My wife actually loved it...double bonus! Don't think there was a dry eye in the place at the end of the film...of course seeing it in Virginia Beach may have had something to do with that. I would think that at least 90% of folks that hang out on SH would really appreciate this film. So, my recommendation is to go see it, and this is one to see on the big screen, you will be glad you did...
cool.gif