• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Adams Arms Piston upper (Help)

*Bones*

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2011
VA, Newport News
I am thinking about picking up an Adams Arms 11.5 upper to use on an class III lower with a can. I have no real experience with these uppers so any help would be great. This will be shot F/A. My concern is the reliability of the upper. I really cant stand the cleaning issues of the DI system and really dont like how dirty they are with the cans. I am really hoping the piston system will run cleaner an cooler with a can I have heard good things but I know you cant always trust the hype. They also seem to be priced right an I like the fact the rail is extended below the gas system for the mounting of an M203. Thank you in advance for any insight you may have.

Here is the link http://www.adamsarms.net/details.asp?sku=UA-11.5-C-TE-556

Re: Adams Arms Piston upper (Help)

Bones,

I don't wish to sway you one way or the other. However, One of my Staff members put the Adams Arms conversion on his Stag upper (16") and it runs good. WHEN it runs. He has had some issues with it, seems to make his rifle "picky" with ammo. The return spring, that pulls the operating rod back, also failed on him and he had to replace it.

We run our carbines very hard at work, that's for sure. I have done some very extensive testing on the PWS MK1 Long Stroke Piston Systems and I am very very impressed with them.

Here is a thread that I have: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2697861&page=1

I personally have a MK114 and a MK110 that I have run F/A and Suppressed. Both are the cleanest, most accurate carbines I have ever used.

If you are looking for a HARD USE piston gun, I would tell you to seriously give PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) a call. I deal directly with Mr. Todd Tuttle... he is a heck of a guy, and will answer any of your questions.

If I were you, the MK112 would be what I looked at. It is still an SBR, but will give you just a few extra inches of barrel over the 110 to keep the velocity up a bit for running a can.

I don't know what you will use it for, but I can tell you... I've shot the crap out of mine, and have had exactly ZERO issues out of them. I had a broken extractor on the MK114 very early on in my testing, but that could happen anytime. Once I replaced it, it has not had a single issue.

Check them out... I like people to be informed consumers.

I'm also running a MK214 as a Precision Marksman rig, and this rifle is really surprising me.

Here's the thread on that one... http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2705305&page=1

I was never a piston fan until I got this PWS system. Watching the issues that my co worker had with his Adam's Arms kit, was one of the reasons I didn't care for pistons. I like my rifles to launch bullets when I pull the trigger... not go "click".

Best of luck with your research and your decision. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me. I will shoot it to you straight and true...

cheers,

Darren

First of all the add on kit for the Adams Arms piston system is not the equivelant of the complete upper they produce. I personally have the Base, Midlength model. With over 5,000 rounds through it F/A and suppressed it has functioned flawless.
What i like about it is compaired to others its very light weight, adjustability and cost effective. The PWS is a nice system how ever the carrier group and piston setup if im not mistaken is one peiece, albeit sturdy and simple without the spring assembly is still very heavy on the front of the rifle. My main consideration would be the market and availability of replacement parts if there is a failure. At this point the Adams Arms seems to fill that role. This is just my opinion feel free to draw your own conclusions.

What I was thinking about was the complete upper. I have DI now and the round count on my barrel is 12k and another 5 k on the upper recv so its time for a new upper and BCG. With the money I would spend on parts that would be a complete upper. I have used the zero fail with great success for several thousand rounds but still a PIA with the DI system. I have heard good things but the bad is what I really want to know if there is any with it. Please keep in mind I was speaking of the complete 11.5 upper from Adams. Failure is not an option I want to deal with as I shoot often and when I do its several hundred to a 1k at a time so like I mentioned failure is not something I want at all! Thank you for the link DMack. I will check it out and take it in to consideration towards my piston hunt
wink.gif

No worries Bones. I just stated that I had no dealings with Adams Arms other than the conversion kit. I don't like to speak of things that I have no direct experience with.

I've tried to stay out of the whole "this brand is better than that brand"... since it lends to partiality. I've run DI guns with huge success for over 25 years, and that's why I said I was never a piston fan until I got the PWS rifle sent to me.

Every person I let fire these rifles, fall in love with them. In my review, I try to be as unbiased as I can. There are a few things to consider, but in the end... they function flawlessly. My MK114 has a LEGITIMATE 10k rounds through it since December 2010. The MK110 has approximately 5k through it. I have not logged it nearly as close as I have the MK114.

There is no adjustable gas block on it, and I have yet to find a need for one. Suppressed or Un-suppressed. Semi or Select Fire... the rifle just functions. It's not ammo picky either... but it does shoot 62 and 69 grain "tighter" than 55 grain... but, even 55 grain is plenty accurate.

Anyway... best of luck. You are correct in saying that a Piston will run far cleaner than the DI gun when running a can on it. This, I can attest to.

Again, if you have any particular questions... or if you want to see any specific thing via Pictures or Video... just let me know. I will do all I can to help you be an informed consumer. I have very close workmates with a variety of piston uppers... so, if I cant get my grubs on it, I can most likely call a buddy that has it and go from there.

Most of the designs out there are SO similar, it's like picking Nat Poop out of Pepper. But, the PWS design is definitely different.

Take care, and be safe out there...

Adams arms 11.5" complete upper is utterly reliable. I personally would not go shorter than that if you are using a suppressor. The conversion kit is a different story because of some many other variables, not controllable and to no fault of the company or product.

I have used a 7.5" with a can F/A with no issues but I know its killing the purpose of the round being high speed and low weight. I was wondering why most companies had stopped the 10.5" route and have gone to 11.5"? I am guessing speed gained on the extra inch in combination with the twist. That sounds like a chrono test in the making to me. I do plan on 11.5" for the upper length.

I've run the Adams arms on a 10.5" barrel suppressed and FA. Not shot it much without the can. I'm undecided if I like piston systems because of the extra weight and the fact that I've had some very dirty guns(try 3k rounds without cleaning. Just add lube) that didn't fail. They certainly slowed down on cyclic rate but never failed.

That said, the Adams Arms has been reliable suppressed and unsuppressed. Ive only shot lake city mil-surp and hanloads through it. 55g bullets only. It won't fully cycle on half gas unsuppressed. I'll have to try heavier bullets sometime soon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *Bones*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used a 7.5" with a can F/A with no issues but I know its killing the purpose of the round being high speed and low weight. I was wondering why most companies had stopped the 10.5" route and have gone to 11.5"? I am guessing speed gained on the extra inch in combination with the twist. That sounds like a chrono test in the making to me. I do plan on 11.5" for the upper length.</div></div>

10.5 has so little dwell time getting reliable operation was tricky and the guns were notoriously finicky about what they were fed. 11.5 almost doubles the dwell time and significantly simplifies achieving reliable operation. The 7.5" uses the pistol gas tube instead of the carbine and so has about the same dwell as the 11.5.

ETA: I've built an upper around an Adams Arms carbine kit and a 13.7" barrel and am generally pleased with design, quality, and performance. I did find, however, that when used with a standard rifle length buffer/spring the carrier would not reliably feed and/or go fully into battery. I'm running a tubb spring now, and am playing with the carrier weighting system to try and hold the bolt closed a touch longer to compensate for a bit TOO much dwell.

I still have not picked up the upper yet. I had a guy back out on 2 cases of 5.7 ss190 that I was holding for him so back to Gun Broker they go. I hope to have it by the weekend so I can put it through some torturing and give some type of review either positive or negative. One thing is for sure it will be shot hard right off the jump f/a suppressed. I will try to hurt it and if passes my test it will be good to go!