• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Fieldcraft Advice on seeing bullet trace.

Barrel Nut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2008
Oak Ridge, TN
I am trying to get better at watching bullet trace. I have a great deal of F-class experience and can watch bullet trace very well through my spotter. Under optimal conditions I can even call the scores based on trace. I cannot however see the trace through a rifle scope. I have tried several methods and nothing seems to work. Any advice? I can, under appropriate conditions call my own impacts, but seeing my bullet trace is something that I have never done. I cannot even see the trace of my shooting partner through a rifle scope. Through the spotter it is easy. What gives?

Re: Advice on seeing bullet trace.

It's like Real Estate: Location; location; location.
wink.gif

Seriously, sometimes you just won't be able to see it. And it's harder when you are focusing on the target and looking directly at the final focus of the crosshairs during follow-through.

Or you could just focus your eyes slightly in front of the target and pay attention to your peripheral vision above the target.
grin.gif

Proper shooting position, managing recoil, having a quality optic, and location of the sun all help. It's still tough to see sometimes though

As Graham stated above, its all about position. You need to setup as close to your shooters "line of bore" both in elevation and laterally as possible. Next is to position the target in the lower 1/3 of your field of view in your scope. Weather will definately make it easier or more difficult to pick up, but however faint you should still be able to pick it up.

Now, picking the vapor up on your own rounds will be difficult and I'm interested on how that works for you. Keep up posted.

What helps me if I'm on a spotter or using my scope to spot for a shooter is to roll the focus knob 1/4 turn or so CCW, bringing the focal point midway or so between you and the target. This also works well for reading mirage. YMMV

How to see your bullet trace through scope on rifle you just fired?

I can watch my own trace into target about 60% of the time when shooting F T/R, 308, NF 5.5-22X50. I wear a short canvas shooting jacket, sling up (tight, very tight), bipod, and a Red Tac Gear rear bag.

Reactions: TCG76