• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Advice on single stage press

Romeyo

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2009
Austria
Hey shooters... I'm about getting started in realoading (finally)... I'm trying to get some quality stuff and read quite much on the topic, but there's basically one hing left that still bothers me a bit, although it seem to doens't make too much of a difference ( in a certain price kategory): which press to get.
I will realod ammo for a 308 "practical" rifle, and a .284win custom long range rifle. I'm more concerned about quality, I won't load huge volumes of ammo.

There seem to be basically 3 choices left for me:

1) Rock Chucker supreme / redding big boss / lee classi cast

2) forster coax

3) RCBS summit

1) seem to be the "proven classic" ones. I would also consider buying a forster coax, but this press wouldn't allow me to use the staggered redding competition shellholder set for easy tuning. At the other hand it would allow fast and accurate die change. The forster seems to have a floating die feature by design, but shellholders do float too on convetionaly presses, don't they? So alignment tolerances should be tricked either way? Not sure which one would be the bigger advantage in practice?
And there's the summit... I'm not entirely sure what to think about that one, but if fit and finish is good it might be an interesting alternative to category 1) ?

I know that everyone has some kind of opinion on this, I don't necessaryly want to know which ist "the best" press out there, but rather which kind of features actually DO make a difference in practice (loading low volume, high precision ammo for 2 different rifles), and which kind of features look nice on paper, but ain't much of a help in real life...

thanks in advance...

I've used a Rock Chucker for over 25 years and it is still as good as new. Load all my rifle cartridges on the RC, and use a Dillon 550B for all my pistol reloads. Have no desire for anything else.

I had a rock chucker. I now have a coax. The coax has many small improvements over the rock chucker...but the rock chucker is a good press as well.

I use the Lee Classic Press.
This is the beefy, cast iron press that will handle up to .50 cal.
Works like a champ.

Hey shooters... I'm about getting started in realoading (finally)... I'm trying to get some quality stuff and read quite much on the topic, but there's basically one hing left that still bothers me a bit, although it seem to doens't make too much of a difference ( in a certain price kategory): which press to get.
I will realod ammo for a 308 "practical" rifle, and a .284win custom long range rifle. I'm more concerned about quality, I won't load huge volumes of ammo.

There seem to be basically 3 choices left for me:

1) Rock Chucker supreme / redding big boss / lee classi cast

2) forster coax

3) RCBS summit

1) seem to be the "proven classic" ones. I would also consider buying a forster coax, but this press wouldn't allow me to use the staggered redding competition shellholder set for easy tuning. At the other hand it would allow fast and accurate die change. The forster seems to have a floating die feature by design, but shellholders do float too on convetionaly presses, don't they? So alignment tolerances should be tricked either way? Not sure which one would be the bigger advantage in practice?
And there's the summit... I'm not entirely sure what to think about that one, but if fit and finish is good it might be an interesting alternative to category 1) ?

I know that everyone has some kind of opinion on this, I don't necessaryly want to know which ist "the best" press out there, but rather which kind of features actually DO make a difference in practice (loading low volume, high precision ammo for 2 different rifles), and which kind of features look nice on paper, but ain't much of a help in real life...

thanks in advance...

Here's a few more presses to can add to Category 1:

First the CH4D 444. I been using one of these for more than 25 years. They are not cheap, but they do have many advantages over a simple single stage, without the wobble associated with some turret presses: https://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/044000

Next is another press from CH4D, called the Champion. It's basically an RCBS Rockchucker on steriods. It actually preceded the RCBS Rockchucker press by a number of years. It's one of the best presses to use for heavy case forming or bullet swaging. You won't find these presses sold at Midway.https://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/033000

In any event, all the presses you already mentioned and are looking at are good and solid options, and will load quality ammo for a lifetime...

can't go wrong with any of those presses... i personally have the coax and a rockchucker. i use the coax for pretty much everything except priming and one special die that just doesn't fit into the press

If you are looking to load precision ammo, of the choices you have outlined, i would go for the Forster CO-AX.
The Summit i do not have any real experience with, as i have never used it to reload, it has been gone into detail about on the Accurateshooter forums though, and it's not all good really, seen a few complaints elsewhere too, but maybe the issues have been fixed.

The CO-ax will allow you to use Redding competition shellholders if you want them Forster sells a kit for using traditional shellholders so that is a option.
The floating die design makes it very easy and fast to change dies, and helps self centering the case into the die, witch aids in concentricity.
The spent primer tube/cup is also a very nice feature as it will prevent you from spilling spent primers everywhere, a quite common headache with many other presses.
And it also has plenty of leverage, just as much as a conventional press.

Shellholders on conventional presses do not really float no, and a ram out of alignment can induce runout, there has at times come out some lemons from factories that were not really useable to begin with.
What's often been done with conventional presses is adding a O ring under the lock ring to help the die self align slightly, and some BR shooters has been turning down press rams on fx the partner press to induce the same from the shellholder.
So the Co-Ax has some advantages over the conventional presses.

The Co-Ax also has a few limitations though.
It only takes Sinclair, Forster and Hornady lock rings, and is not possible to use a PMA die adjuster.
And it can only be used with conventional dies, and some custom dies.
Some custom dies have too long bodies to fit, some large caliber dies are not made in conventional sizes, and you can only use 7/8-14 threaded dies.
It does not prime cases as it comes from the factory, but if your looking into precision reloading you should have other tools for that anyway.

If you can live with the shortcomings the Co-Ax can not really be beaten performance wise for the price.

I do not use any of the above mentioned presses currently so i am quite neutral, although i had a Rockchucker in use for at least 10 years, owned and used the Co-Ax for some years, and i have used the Big boss press a few times.

The conventional presses can be modified to use Hornady LNL bushings, or the Lee breech lock system so the quick change die feature is available for those too.
And if your looking at custom dies, certainly with the 1 1/4-12 threads you will have to go the conventional route.
Of those from my experience at least, i would choose the Big boss as it seems to have the best build quality.

I currently have 2 single stage presses, but i do not believe they will fall into any of your categories.
I have chose them because i use mostly 1 1/4-12 threaded dies, and there are no alignment issues as with other presses.
They weight 37 pounds without dies, and all parts are CNC machined to very high tolerances from solid billet steel.
Except for the F.Misumi bushings.
As i have never seen it on the forums, i added some pictures from when i got the first one with a 308 case in the holder.
What i believe to be the best available currently, but the price tag is a bit hard to swallow.

Attachments

• DSC_0067.jpg
    DSC_0067.jpg
    845.4 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC_0066.jpg
    DSC_0066.jpg
    754.2 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0069.jpg
    DSC_0069.jpg
    890.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I don't see where you can go wrong with any on the list. I know the co_ax gets rave reviews here, but other places, it's just one of many, although a bit more pricy. (I think)

I have two RCBS presses and a C something? I'm not even sure of the name but the truth is, presses are the least worry, it's like accumulating quarters with only odd or even dates; it is not a huge consideration, they all work. I actually could have survived with only the first purchase, which was an economy unit, over 40 years ago.

"it would allow fast and accurate die change"
For you, with only two cartridges, this is a very small consideration. Besides , getting your dies set up properly can become a lost art, if you only use a press with those quick change features, then you get the fever and buy something else. It's not the end of the world to have to employ that skill. Good luck. BB

edit: that's a slick unit, above, but doesn't look a whole lot different from my RCBS AmmoMaster?

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for every single answer.

I made my decision and will get the big boss to begin with (mainly because of the better primer catching system compared to the rcbs).
When I learned using that one I might consider getting another one a few years down the road then, when I'm able to appreciate the features of the more sophisticated ones.

@ powermac: thats one nice press, I came across those Turban Presses when researching. I guess everybody loves german precision engeneering, but at that point it would simply be overkill for my needs.

@ BuzzBoss915: I guess it was that "lost art" thing that eventually cought me... I'm always looking into learning something beneficial...