• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Advice please....USO 3.2-17X44 LR-17 or NF F1 3.5-15x50 for same money?

Repauno

Private
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2014
Florida
Hi, I have been a lurker for a while, but finally had to seek some advice.

I have the need (want) to buy a scope for a long-range plinking gun. I am wanting FFP with Mil/Mil and like the GAP style reticles. I can get a USO 3.2-17x from a friend, new in box and unopened for $2100 or I can get the NF F1 3.5-15 for about $130 MORE at retail. They both appear to have the same general set of features.

This is going on a 7MMRUM Chassis build that is for shooting up to 1000+ (or who knows). Possibly some long-range varminting, coyotes and hogs, but nothing serious. It was originally a hunting gun and will be re-barreled to something else when I burn this barrel out. Or sooner.

I have read countless threads that look like a Ford versus Chevy argument. BUT.....in this case the USO is cheaper to me, so which one would you buy? Or what else is "better" in that $2,000 to $2300 price range and why?

Thanks in advance.

The nightforce may hold up better to the repeated beating of an RUM, Glass may be slightly better in the USO hard to say though cause NF seems to be hit or miss on clarity&res

OK, I may end up doing that. But it really doesn't answer my question. $200 wouldn't sway me one way or the other. In short, if money were out of the equation (which it sort of is) which of the two?

Nightforce. Never been a fan of USO! Sight picture always dark with poor contrast and color. Only used one, which belonged to a friend.

I say go with the USO. I know that the customer service is great. Some of the Nightforce scopes are made in Japan. I just like the fact that USO is American Made.

The F1 is made in the US. Both have good cs. But if you don't like using it... Go NF.

g3ninfinite sir, I didnt say Nightforce was a bad scope not at all! My ATACR was made in Japan and I had a problem with it. I sent it back and they fixed the problem. Very fast service too. I am just pointing out if it is man made it can break and I rather keep my money here at home as much as possible. Also USO fits my eyes better and rollinsb needs to try different scopes to see which one fits him. What works for me and you might not work for him as well. USO is a custom shop and can fit the scope to him a little better than a company that just sells production models. Also on the XM3 rifle the Marines were switching out the Nightforce for their S&B's. Not to say its a bad scope it just the S&B's worked better for them.

Last edited:
OP,

I have 2 USOs. One is the old SN-3 which is similar to the one you are considering it. Never had an issue with either. Track well and are crystal clear. Customer service is great. I wanted a non-BDC elevation turret for my Sn-4 1-4x after 10 years. Made one call and paid $25. Had the new turret in 2 weeks.

Good luck with your choice

g3ninfinite sir, I didnt say Nightforce was a bad scope not at all! My ATACR was made in Japan and I had a problem with it. I sent it back and they fixed the problem. Very fast service too. I am just pointing out if it is man made it can break and I rather keep my money here at home as much as possible. Also USO fits my eyes better and rollinsb needs to try different scopes to see which one fits him. What works for me and you might not work for him as well. USO is a custom shop and can fit the scope to him a little better than a company that just sells production models. Also on the XM3 rifle the Marines were switching out the Nightforce for their S&B's. Not to say its a bad scope it just the S&B's worked better for them.

I'm not saying either are bad. The xm3 as far as I know shipped with a sfp nxs. Would make sense for them to switch to a ffp which the F1 is.

This is a better deal than either option the OP gave, I think. FWIW, on the retail market, USO has always commanded more money. Not saying one is better or worse, just that's how the market falls. I personally think the USO is a good deal. If you wanted a USO, that would be a good deal. In this case the NF is over priced. The two deals on the forum that 724/1030 gives are more in line with what you would pay for a NF. Which is also an outstanding scope.

F1's aren't nearly the glass quality of old NSX's. The ones I've had my mitts on stent nearly the scope the USO 3.2-17 is.
If you gave me an F1 it'd be on the market to fund a USO immediately.

Nightforce...owned two USO's....used them ...broke them...yes customer service is pretty good, but Nightforce has been more reliable for me.

I have no input on the F1 have not owned one I do have a LR 17 and love it tracks perfect and good glass and really like the EREK elevation knob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either scope is very good, I would consider both top tier. About 5 years ago I had an F1 for about a year. Good scope, but I sold it to fund a USO 3.2-17 fully loaded. I would not go back and I haven't. Since then I have bought 2 more USO ER-25s. Customer service is the best I have ever come across in the shooting industry. Glass was so similar between the 2 that I couldn't tell a difference. I think the USO is like a tank on top of a rifle. If it's not the most indestructible scope on the market I would be shocked! No way any Nightforce I have owned or handled feels that solid!

I have tried to like Nightforce, they are local to me and I have tried several models. I am a big fan of the USO GAP reticle and when NF releases the MLR 2.0 I snagged a F1 with the MLR 2.0 in it straight away. Side by side next to my SN-3 3.2-17 TPAL the USO stayed and the F1 got sold. Nightforce HS ZS turret is nice and works very well. My preference to the short low profile EREK knob and a capped windage turret kept me using the USO. I would give the tip to USO in glass as well. Of the nightforce models (F1 and NXS) I have owned the glass has been hit or miss it seems.

I've had both the NXS & a USO 3.2-17. I still have the USO, sold the NXS. They both work(ed) just fine, no hiccups & were always repeatable. I felt the USO may hold a slight edge in the glass department but couldn't complain about the NXS. I do like the EREK, it's spoiled me quite a bit; setting the zero stop the first time was funky as shit but it works well.

As stated before, at the price point on the USO it's worth a hard look; i'd have bought it already.

t

I asked this very same question a few months ago. There were many pros/cons either way. In the end, I talked at a very knowledgeable friend who gave me this advice; my friend attended last year's SHOT Show. He was very impressed w/ the Vortex RAZOR Gen II HD. To shorten this story considerably, I ordered a 4.5-27X56 model (incidentally, so did my friend). It showed up on my door step yesterday. I'm blown away by this scope. Very sharp, colors pop. At low power there's no tunneling. This optic is built like a tank.

The CS at Vortex is second to none. There warranty is second to none. The rep I dealt w/ was great. I hope this helps.

My current 2013 vintage 3-15 F1 is comparable to my Hensoldt 4-16 in terms of resolution and contrast and edge to edge sharpness. I guess it's a hit. Or maybe my Hensoldt is a miss. No, it can't be cuz it's just as nice as my other Zeiss.

I know they say that glass is subjective to everyone's eyes Fucking bull shit NF glass in NXS does not even come close to US OPTICS glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no experience with NF, plan to eventually. I do have an SN-3 that i've had for almost six years and never had a problem functionality or clarity wise. I find it better than my mark 6 but that is nit picking at that point IMO.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Though i'm hoping the ERGO comes back.

Last edited:
Nightforce hands down. With a USO there is a 50% chance it needs to go back for repair/correction within the 1st year (or month)...

Nightforce hands down. With a USO there is a 50% chance it needs to go back for repair/correction within the 1st year (or month)...

50% chance huh? Damn that's huge..i wonder how they're still in business. I get that people have had problems with USO from time to time. Though i personally haven't and many others haven't as they still seem to be pretty prevalent in this sport but the disdain for them on this site is confusing to me. I guess i don't understand it because the one product i've owned from them has been flawless so far after six years.

Would you share your experience? Disregard the sarcasm in the first sentence this is genuine curiosity. I mean do they really produce that many lemons?

50% chance huh? Damn that's huge..i wonder how they're still in business. I get that people have had problems with USO from time to time. Though i personally haven't and many others haven't as they still seem to be pretty prevalent in this sport but the disdain for them on this site is confusing to me. I guess i don't understand it because the one product i've owned from them has been flawless so far after six years.

Would you share your experience? Disregard the sarcasm in the first sentence this is genuine curiosity. I mean do they really produce that many lemons?

50% is right. I had two Nightforces and I had to send one back for repair. And had 4 USO and sent one back for repair thats 25%. Also had 4 Leupolds and had to send 3 back for repair, Thats 75%. Make your choice and know that the company that you go with will have a great customer service and USO has one of the best.

Run both NF F1 and USO scopes along with Kahles and Steiner. My first "high end" scope was a USO and it never needed any repair. Out of the six I've owned I had to send one back as it had the wrong reticle in it and wasn't to scale. Never had an issue with any of the others. The NF scopes have been 100% so far, no issues either. So my feeling is either scope will serve you well. I do prefer the NF for a lighter weight rig. I don't see much difference in the glass, with the Kahles it is easy to see the difference.