• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aero Precision Solus Unboxing on the Live

Damn,
You lucky bastards! That's like buying the action with a trigger and getting a decent stock, mag and bbl for free.

Can't even get a CTR for that cheap
I'll make it up to them by singing its praises at the range though :LOL:. Always a lot of looky-loos with questions. If the rifle shoots as decent as I've seen with custom loads, I'll get them more sales.

I'll make it up to them by singing its praises at the range though :LOL:. Always a lot of looky-loos with questions. If the rifle shoots as decent as I've seen with custom loads, I'll get them more sales.
If I can't score an Origin or Coup De Grace barreled action deal on BF, I'm getting one, even at the higher (but sale) price.

The Solus .25 Creedmoor build is complete…Minus a barrel…

It’s been ordered, reamer was ordered, just waiting for it to be built and shipped to me.

IMG_2821.jpeg

Yep I may dump my 308 Tikka in the near future. Hope the Aero barrel likes Bergers as that's my main 308/30cal stash. 185g Juggs in FGMM and bullets, have 500 of the 180g elite hunters as well.

22" 6.5 Aero shoots every bit as well as my CTR. It didn't like the Federal 140g hybrid load.

The Solus .25 Creedmoor build is complete…Minus a barrel…

It’s been ordered, reamer was ordered, just waiting for it to be built and shipped to me.

View attachment 8277577
What scope is that? I see Midway has the Gen 2 PSTs on sale. I have a couple Gen 1s and an Arken EP5. I like the Arken but the eyebox is a little finicky. Unsure what has progressed in the optic scene in the last few years.

What scope is that? I see Midway has the Gen 2 PSTs on sale. I have a couple Gen 1s and an Arken EP5. I like the Arken but the eyebox is a little finicky. Unsure what has progressed in the optic scene in the last few years.
It’s a black gen 3 from eurooptic.

Reactions: ashiha

EuroOptic Exclusive Black Edition Vortex Razor Gen III 6-36x56 EBR-7D MRAD...

Reactions: ashiha
I don’t need one, but the prices are definitely tempting. We’ll see if I can hold out!

Called and eventually got a human. It was a glitch but they are honoring the price when your order was placed.
This appears to be correct, they finally charged my card for the $881 Bravo Solus. Now I feel like I need to spend some more money with Aero for the good deed they have done.

Reactions: FuhQ
@John.Warren4 What is the expected weight on the light weight action. I just ordered a solus Hunter 6.5 prc and wondering if I should of held off or if the savings is negligible

Reactions: JayMazee
Dummy round made using an old piece of random range 6.5CM brass, and a spare Berger 115 VLD I had sitting around. The end of the bearing surface, where it meets the boat tail, is sitting exactly where the neck/shoulder junction is. So, the only thing dropping into the case, is the boat tail. I hope this will be the case with the 133 Elites with my Alpha reamer... But only time will tell. I won't know until I get my barrel and reamer back from CarbonSix.

IMG_2971.jpegIMG_2972.jpeg

Nice. Are you going to need higher rings? Looks like a tight fit.

Do you have a velocity goal in mind?

I just loaded up a pressure ladder for my 6.5 aero barrel. 140g eld 40-42.7g H4350. Hope to be closer to 2750 than 2700fps in the 22" barrel when it's all said and done.

Nice. Are you going to need higher rings? Looks like a tight fit.

Do you have a velocity goal in mind?

I just loaded up a pressure ladder for my 6.5 aero barrel. 140g eld 40-42.7g H4350. Hope to be closer to 2750 than 2700fps in the 22" barrel when it's all said and done.
It should clear, but like Ted Kennedy said... "We'll drive off that bridge when we get to it..."

Hoping with the 133's to be close to 3K from a 20" barrel, but I won't be disappointed in 2,850+. The 115's for fun should end up well over 3,000.

I'm curious to see how your 6.5CM Solus shoots. Keep us updated. I'm curious about the factory Aero Solus barrels, as well. I know my 2 shorty AR barrels in .300 BLK shoot surprisingly well for what they are. (8" & 10").

My Aero 22" has done better than I expected. Hornady factory 140g elds in the .5-.8moa range with one group in the .2s, .3 and .4 range. 2-2.5" at 396yds over the weekend. Started to see some of the Hornadys poor ES at that range.

Here is a pic of a 10rd pressure test. Didn't get the speed I wanted but it looks like any combination of the 140eld and H4350 will do well. I noticed once fired 2.513 with my comparator so I sized to 2.510-2.511. 2nd fired coming in at 2.515. Primers look good but I started to feel some resistance on my bolt lift at shot 7-10, only had a "heavy" lift with shot 10 and a nice shiney ejector circle. Maybe seeing some false pressure with a 5thou shoulder bump?

Loaded up some more 40.9(.48moa 3 shot), 41.5(.4moa 5 shot), and 42(.59moa 5 shot) 2 warm rounds and 2 outside temp of 35degrees for the higher charges. 41.2 and 41.8 had those shots way low and right from the rest of the 20 shots.

100m
KIMG1433.JPG

17011279693291570552430100497372.jpg

I'll update with numbers and try to get a better pic of brass.

Last edited:
Cleaned barrel and did some more testing. Top group is the load that did well above, same bto as factory Hornady .080 off the lands. Then I loaded 2-.010 longer and 2-.020 longer. 41.5g H4350 for them all.

KIMG1439.JPG

KIMG1437.JPG

Got it in earlier today. Won't have a chance to take it to the range for a week or two, but initial impressions are real nice. I got the whole rifle getting lucky with that double black friday deal. I really like the chassis a lot, but I haven't experienced any of the really nice chassis systems. The adjustability has me smiling from ear-to-ear. The buttpad being able to be canted has grinning like an idiot :LOL:. Triggertech trigger is more than good enough for me.

I'm inspecting the BA barrel. I am NOT a machinist, nor do I really know a thing about machining or gunsmithing. So take what I say with the tiniest of grains of salt. Here's a few pics/observations:
Chamber is pretty nicely machined/polished:
lpq5v8X.jpeg

The shoulder has a few machining marks:
3WPCY65.jpeg

Neck looks similar to the shoulder. Some clear signs of the test firings that Aero said they do:
RxLTqH9.jpeg

hEtW1JI.jpeg

~1" into the rifling:
aV80UjV.jpeg

Last 1":
BUf8abL.jpeg

I have not cleaned the rifle or barrel yet. I wanted to take a look before doing anything. So obviously it's a little dirty from the test firings. On that note, Aero, y'all using some loads that clearly don't burn completely or cleanly :p. I do wish I knew how many rounds have been fired through the barrel though. I'd estimate something like 20-50.

The barrel is definitely nicer than the BA barrels I have for semi-autos. It certainly ain't no Bartlein, but you get what you pay for. In this case, I think I got much MUCH more than I paid for.

I like how simple the transition from the action to the barrel/chamber is. Will be much easier to clean than some of my other rifles.

Overall I'm incredibly happy even if the barrel ends up not shooting well. Now I just need to hope that the folding adaptor is something that can be added on later. I think it will though because both sides of the little extension are screwed in as if they planned for it to be swapped out later.

Reactions: Bluedog82
Looks good, mine is sitting at my FFL. Yep it's no tier one barrel but if I can get a solid .4-.5moa I'll be stoked and it's looking to be the case with my 6.5. I don't know if I could load and shoot much smaller even if the rifle was capable anyway.

Idk on that high of a test shoot from Aero, I'd guess 10 or more likely less even.

Looks good, mine is sitting at my FFL. Yep it's no tier one barrel but if I can get a solid .4-.5moa I'll be stoked and it's looking to be the case with my 6.5. I don't know if I could load and shoot much smaller even if the rifle was capable anyway.

Idk on that high of a test shoot from Aero, I'd guess 10 or more likely less even.

I don't know. There is already some copper fouling at spots in the barrel and some decent carbon build-up even after light cleaning:
Nt1HBM1.jpeg

Agv9H2H.jpeg

I'm not complaining either way. If anything, if they were to have shot ~50, I'd appreciate them helping break it in using their own ammo haha. Barrels get dirty. I probably won't be shy against using some light abrasives like Iosso though.

I don't know. There is already some copper fouling at spots in the barrel and some decent carbon build-up even after light cleaning:
I had more copper than I’ve ever seen in a barrel from ONE shot out of my Proof 6GT. Looked like it was literally painted with copper.

I bet they only do 2-3 test firings. No reason to do more.

Your borescope photos look almost identical to mine. Super good enough for the $200-300 delta.

I had more copper than I’ve ever seen in a barrel from ONE shot out of my Proof 6GT. Looked like it was literally painted with copper.

I bet they only do 2-3 test firings. No reason to do more.

Your borescope photos look almost identical to mine. Super good enough for the $200-300 delta.
That's very interesting. How did that barrel end up shooting? I would think that it points a sign to it being more rough on a microscopic level. But even then, I'm not sure how that would really affect anything.

That's very interesting. How did that barrel end up shooting? I would think that it points a sign to it being more rough on a microscopic level. But even then, I'm not sure how that would really affect anything.
Shoots pretty well, .6-.8 MOA 10 shot groups with factory Hornady 6GT ammo with abhorrent SD/ES. Got a new lot to test this weekend though. The copper cleaned up fairly easily after soaking and the surface finish looks great on the borescope.

Kinds feeling dumb about now but cant for the life of me figure out how to pull the extractor so i can get my headspacing checked

Kinds feeling dumb about now but cant for the life of me figure out how to pull the extractor so i can get my headspacing checked
You don't necessarily have to remove the extractor... I would remove the firing pin assembly, which is tool-less and quick. As for the gauge, you can just hook it under the extractor and guide the gauge in with your fingers until you get it somewhat into the chamber.

Reactions: Harman117
Well because for some reason i did it with my orgins so assumed that was the way to do it.....i guess not 👌

Well because for some reason i did it with my orgins so assumed that was the way to do it.....i guess not 👌
HS gauges can be sharp, so its generally recommended to to put them under the extractor as @FuhQ detailed above. If you drop it in the chamber and try to close on it, the gauge can score the face of the extractor.

Reactions: Harman117 and FuhQ
Did some testing at 1010yds with my reloads. Less than .2mil of vertical. I'll check when I go to repaint the target as it's a mile and a half through muddy field.

I was a tenth off on elevation so with a bc adjustment to .312 for the 140g elds I'm spot on.

On a side note I want to point out that all the screws on my Solus were torqued and had loctite on them as it came. Nice to see although I check any gun that's new to me.

Question for you Solus owners. What trigger are you using and how is the bolt lift and closing with that trigger?

I’m wondering if I should get a Bix’n Andy for mine since they have the adjustable sear height options and TT does not. My understanding, which could be in error, is that changing the sear height can change the bolt lift and closing feel.

I actually just got one of these actions and am pumped to build on it.

Glad people are giving some good feedback!

Was planning on an origin or a defiance classic but found this solus action on sale and figured I’d give it a whirl.

Planning a 6mm of some sort for a PRS build. My first venture into that realm.

Question for you Solus owners. What trigger are you using and how is the bolt lift and closing with that trigger?

I’m wondering if I should get a Bix’n Andy for mine since they have the adjustable sear height options and TT does not. My understanding, which could be in error, is that changing the sear height can change the bolt lift and closing feel.
Bolt lift and close is very light (minimal effort compared to a 700 or 2-lug action). And pull weight is easily 1lbs with the screw removed completely, maybe slightly less.

Last edited:
Reactions: KYAggie
And it’s easily 1lbs with the screw removed completely, maybe slightly less.

What screw? Sounds like its optimized to work with a TT. I've used a two stage TT special in the past with my Origin and I like it. Maybe I won't spend the extra $$ for the B&A?

I’m not a fan of the B&A triggers…

Yea, people seem to like one or the other. I don’t have a Bix, but I like that you can open it up and clean it and not void the warranty. I also like how adjustable they are, although if you don’t do it right, they can be problematic. TT’s are a little more plug and play.

After running a few B&A TSP's and a TT Diamond on other rigs, I'm standardizing on TT Specials. The B&A was decent, but the 1st stage was too progressive, giving a mushy feel compared to the TT 2-stages. I notice no difference between the Diamond and Special at my preffered 1-1.25 lb total weight.

I've only had the Special on the Solus, it works fine. I thought sear fore-aft position determines timing/handoff, not height.

Reactions: FuhQ and KYAggie
After running a few B&A TSP's and a TT Diamond on other rigs, I'm standardizing on TT Specials. The B&A was decent, but the 1st stage was too progressive, giving a mushy feel compared to the TT 2-stages. I notice no difference between the Diamond and Special at my preffered 1-1.25 lb total weight.

I've only had the Special on the Solus, it works fine. I thought sear fore-aft position determines timing/handoff, not height.
For anyone who hunts or uses the gun for non-benchrest comps, the (sub) 1 lbs. Special Pro Curved is more than light enough for the average person. And it’s $150 less than a Diamond. Most people have zero business going below 1 lbs. on a trigger, because I’ve seen seen and met the average shooter, and they’re scary enough with factory crap. Which is why I haven’t hunted public land for the last 20 years. I’m not getting shot by some retard Fudd who gets buck-fever, and takes pot-shots because he has no emotional control over himself. 😂

My Black Friday Special
Solus action and 17" Solus chassis
PVA 26" M40 1/7 Rock Creek in 6 Creed w/ an APA gen 2 Fat Bastard

Did this start as a PVA $1099 action/barrel, or did you buy the action and barrel separately? Just trying to get an idea of where Josh is in getting the $1099 deals out the door.

My Black Friday/EE budget build:
Solus action
PVA 26” MTU sale prefit 22GT
MPA grenade chassis
EC tuner brake
TT diamond 2 stage
Razor G2 in MPA mount

Attachments

• IMG_4202.jpeg
    IMG_4202.jpeg
    598.9 KB · Views: 103
Reactions: KYAggie and Stan73
It was bought separately. Action & chassis was direct from Aero and the barrel was new but bought out of the classifieds.

Reactions: KYAggie
My Black Friday/EE budget build:
Solus action
PVA 26” MTU sale prefit 22GT
MPA grenade chassis
EC tuner brake
TT diamond 2 stage
Razor G2 in MPA mount
Is that the barrel nut that came with your action? Reason I ask is mine was undersized and would not fit. I used a PVA nut. Awesome build BTW, looks great.

Is that the barrel nut that came with your action? Reason I ask is mine was undersized and would not fit. I used a PVA nut. Awesome build BTW, looks great.
Thanks! Good catch, yes that was the included barrel nut. We had to machine it to fit the barrel as it was also undersized. The PVA nut would have been an easy fix but I didn’t have one on hand.

Reactions: Stan73
Little bit of a snow/ice storm I shot this in. Took me a few shots to find my windage. .8mil was on the right edge. Moved to .9 and fired 8 shots for the middle group. 1010yds

KIMG1447.JPG

140g eld at 2677fps 9.4mil elevation so probably 9.5mil to center up the group.

Which Trigger tech trigger comes with the complete rifle? Everything I read just says Triggertech and I found one article that says it’s not a diamond. Is it a Primary or Special?