• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Group Buys Aftermarket AI "Obsession" Chassis - Group Buy

I have my balance point about 3” in front of the magazine well, which is about perfect for using Game Changer type bags. That’s with the prototype chassis with the 1.5# internal weight and one MDT external weight up front. I think with the production chassis and 2# internal weight it’ll be just about perfect.

Reactions: J-Ham and RS14
I have my balance point about 3” in front of the magazine well, which is about perfect for using Game Changer type bags. That’s with the prototype chassis with the 1.5# internal weight and one MDT external weight up front. I think with the production chassis and 2# internal weight it’ll be just about perfect.

This has been my experience with most rifles as well. When it’s balanced within an inch or so from mag well, once you put it in a bag is rear heavy.

3” in front seems like a lot without a bag. Once a bag is in play it’s just about perfect.

I'm glad you posted that. I went for the sage green chassis even though my action is black. I figured with all the black small parts and accessories it would develop a green/ black look. I think I'll have barrels painted black to match the action.

Also, irt FEDEX mysteries...mine arrived in town Sunday evening and has a Wednesday delivery estimate. Guess it's just going to do a ride along around town for 3 days, lol! UPS kicks Fedex ass in my neck of the woods every time. Maybe it's regional 🤷‍♂️

Yeah ups is the way to go for me too.

And I actually almost went black on my chassis. Haha

Reactions: samb300
I’ve been checking Red Beards IG account and haven’t seen Pale Brown Chassis posted... Any updates on the master race P.B kits?

Last edited:
I’ve been checking Red Beards IG account and haven’t seen Pale Brown Chassis posted... Any updates on the master race P.B kits?
All the green and pale brown kits are painted and on their way to me. They got dropped off on Friday, so with the way things are going with FedEx I’ll either get them tomorrow or next week Friday haha

Reactions: MysizeisMAGNUM
I'm glad you posted that. I went for the sage green chassis even though my action is black. I figured with all the black small parts and accessories it would develop a green/ black look. I think I'll have barrels painted black to match the action.

Also, irt FEDEX mysteries...mine arrived in town Sunday evening and has a Wednesday delivery estimate. Guess it's just going to do a ride along around town for 3 days, lol! UPS kicks Fedex ass in my neck of the woods every time. Maybe it's regional 🤷‍♂️
Congrats, FedEx has upgraded you to Today :cool:

Reactions: RS14
There are 9 people with deliveries scheduled for today, once they're installed I want to see some more pics!!!

Lol. Unfortunately, I may have had the shortest hop on the FedEx truck and I had to go out of town. I will get pics up once I get home in 3 weeks or so. Timing sucks!

Got mine done! Very pleased with how it turned out. Took my time to get a good bead on the epoxy job and nearly waited too long on the butt stock but it all worked out nicely.

Attachments

• 5AFFA5C1-CE87-49AA-9383-584DE0441191.jpeg
    5AFFA5C1-CE87-49AA-9383-584DE0441191.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 63679A2C-6805-4ED1-952F-8F6D0FD4615A.jpeg
    63679A2C-6805-4ED1-952F-8F6D0FD4615A.jpeg
    629.3 KB · Views: 97
Got mine done! Very pleased with how it turned out. Took my time to get a good bead on the epoxy job and nearly waited too long on the butt stock but it all worked out nicely.
Looks like a perfect epoxy job! I’m always racing against time when I get to the buttstock as well.

The final build looks great! How is the balance? Do you have either of the internal weights installed?

Looks like a perfect epoxy job! I’m always racing against time when I get to the buttstock as well.

The final build looks great! How is the balance? Do you have either of the internal weights installed?
I didn’t have any weight installed for this picture but was playing around with them today. It seemed most stable with the 2lb. weight so I will probably try that first. I still need to get an m-lok pic rail for the bipod since I don’t have an arca rail mount for it yet and I wanted to install that before bolting in the weight.

Wow Sam, you really did all the work on this one and I'm super happy you did. This is what an AI should have always been. You really went the whole nine on every aspect of this thing, thank you! Now we don't have to put up with an old shitty chassis anymore.

19 lbs 7.0 oz as it sits, no weights installed.

20200909_232430.jpg

20200909_232458.jpg

20200909_232908.jpg

It looks like everyone from this first batch of shipping has received their chassis kit! It's looking good that I'll have the rest of them in hand this weekend, so I'm hopeful that I'll be able to ship them out early next week.

Sam

Wow Sam, you really did all the work on this one and I'm super happy you did. This is what an AI should have always been. You really went the whole nine on every aspect of this thing, thank you! Now we don't have to put up with an old shitty chassis anymore.

19 lbs 7.0 oz as it sits, no weights installed.

View attachment 7420480

View attachment 7420481

View attachment 7420482
Wow man, that build looks incredible! @BLKWLFK9 is gonna be kicking himself now that he didn't get his in black haha

Reactions: RS14 and BLKWLFK9
Yea, that black is pretty much tits.

Epoxy has finally cured. That magazine catch spring was probably the most difficult part and yes I did use the assembly pin. Your videos on the assembly were very valuable. Rifle is exactly 17 pounds with no weights. Thanks again Sam for putting this project together. When are you going to build your version of the AR-15 grip conversion? That is the only thing this rifle needs. This has turned out great! Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2475.JPG
    IMG_2475.JPG
    799.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2478.JPG
    IMG_2478.JPG
    520.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_2479.JPG
    IMG_2479.JPG
    571.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2483.JPG
    IMG_2483.JPG
    664.9 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2485.JPG
    IMG_2485.JPG
    964.4 KB · Views: 98
Who cares about an AR grip, those already suck. An OBi grip is what it needs.

Epoxy has finally cured. That magazine catch spring was probably the most difficult part and yes I did use the assembly pin. Your videos on the assembly were very valuable. Rifle is exactly 17 pounds with no weights. Thanks again Sam for putting this project together. When are you going to build your version of the AR-15 grip conversion? That is the only thing this rifle needs. This has turned out great! Thanks
Looks great, thanks for sharing pictures of the completed build!

Hey, why does your weak-side QD mount (above the grip) stick out so far? Is it not screwed in all the way, or are you maybe using the incorrect QD cup?

1599843590651.png

1599843612510.png

Last edited:
Looks great! Did you leave the pins in your area 419 clamp though?

I believe the OBi grip uses MDT's vertical grip core and just adds a slightly different 3d printed outer shell (little shorter and fatter)

Couldn't see any any reason to remove them because the pins are not screwed out so they don't interfere with a non locking ARCA rail. Did I miss something?
I believe if the pins are left in, the clamp will not work properly on non-Arca-Lock rails. I removed the pins on mine, but kept the screws in place.

I guess you're right, I never had to install mine since the vertical portion was already attached. In that case make it up Sam and I'll buy it!

Reactions: FMJ
Yeah, the pins on the arcalock clamp are designed to interface with notches cut into the edge of an arcalock rail. If left in and used with a non arcalock rail, when tightened down enough, they start to create their own notches. I've seen a MPA rail marked up pretty badly by one (though MPA rails aren't exactly RRS spec and seem to be more easily damaged). Either way I'd hate to see that gorgeous AO chassis marked up prematurely!

Reactions: FMJ
Looks great, thanks for sharing pictures of the completed build!

Hey, why does your weak-side QD mount (above the grip) stick out so far? Is it not screwed in all the way, or are you maybe using the incorrect QD cup?

View attachment 7421375

View attachment 7421376
I had the inside part that has threads on both ends reversed, I was so excited to get this thing together I didn't even notice. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2496.JPG
    IMG_2496.JPG
    586.3 KB · Views: 74
Yeah, the pins on the arcalock clamp are designed to interface with notches cut into the edge of an arcalock rail. If left in and used with a non arcalock rail, when tightened down enough, they start to create their own notches. I've seen a MPA rail marked up pretty badly by one (though MPA rails aren't exactly RRS spec and seem to be more easily damaged). Either way I'd hate to see that gorgeous AO chassis marked up prematurely!
Got it! Thanks

Hi Guys, I just wanted to pass this along. I decided before hand that I would split the epoxy in half. In watching Sam's videos when he gets to the butt stock it's obvious that the epoxy is starting to set up. Yes you can still use it but it's harder to spread around and rather then having to rush along I wanted all the time I could use. When I finished the receiver I still had lots of epoxy left over as seen in the photo of the larger pile on the right side. When I got to the butt stock I cut the half that was left in the jars in half again and still had some left over as seen in the pile on the left side. You can see I still have approximately 1/4 of the epoxy in the jars and two large piles of hardened epoxy. Take your time and make it nice because you're probably going the have this beautiful rifle for a long time. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2502.JPG
    IMG_2502.JPG
    440.1 KB · Views: 58
Sam this chassis is fantastic! Machining and finish work is exceptional!

Will get it out to the range this weekend to shoot it.

Built this from an AT in an MPA and Adam at Mile High set me up with the shims, rear bolts, mag catch, spring and pin And he even had to machine the rear bolts since they were not available. Great support from Mile High!

Your instructions were great. Came out fantastic. Set-up as pictured is 20.2 lbs with no front weights installed. Barrel is a 28” 6BR Benchmark from TS Customs in their MTU+ contour (Similar in profile to a Proof comp contour). I know I kicked the tires a few times with you on the purchase, but now have the perfect rifle!

Thank you Sam!

Attachments

• 22C2C71E-6135-4132-BEE3-AC4E86418CFE.jpeg
    22C2C71E-6135-4132-BEE3-AC4E86418CFE.jpeg
    636.2 KB · Views: 104
Hi Guys, I just wanted to pass this along. I decided before hand that I would split the epoxy in half. In watching Sam's videos when he gets to the butt stock it's obvious that the epoxy is starting to set up. Yes you can still use it but it's harder to spread around and rather then having to rush along I wanted all the time I could use. When I finished the receiver I still had lots of epoxy left over as seen in the photo of the larger pile on the right side. When I got to the butt stock I cut the half that was left in the jars in half again and still had some left over as seen in the pile on the left side. You can see I still have approximately 1/4 of the epoxy in the jars and two large piles of hardened epoxy. Take your time and make it nice because you're probably going the have this beautiful rifle for a long time. Thanks
I will say, I don’t recommend doing this unless you measure it out with a very accurate scale. The ratio of the aluminum putty is exactly 9:1, and I measured both out to 0.1g, so if you just wing it it’s highly likely that your ratio is off and the epoxy won’t cure as well as it should.

Yes, if you take your time during the action install the epoxy will be starting to harden when you get to the buttstock, but I haven’t found that to be an issue over many installs. If you’re worried you can always buy the Devcon plastic-steel epoxy that comes with the AX buttstock kit (or use that if you bought a new buttstock). Or I can send you another pre-measured portion of the aluminum putty.

Sorry to rain on your parade @FMJ, I just want to make sure everyone’s epoxy job is cured per the Devcon ratio.

Sam

Built this from an AT in an MPA and Adam at Mile High set me up with the shims, rear bolts, mag catch, spring and pin And he even had to machine the rear bolts since they were not available. Great support from Mile High!

Your instructions were great. Came out fantastic. Set-up as pictured is 20.2 lbs with no front weights installed. Barrel is a 28” 6BR Benchmark from TS Customs in their MTU+ contour (Similar in profile to a Proof comp contour). I know I kicked the tires a few times with you on the purchase, but now have the perfect rifle!

Thank you Sam!
You’re more than welcome, thanks for your business and supporting this project. I’m looking forward to your range report!

I’m glad Mile High was willing and able to get you setup with the parts you needed. Adam is a good guy, and has known about this project for a long time. I don’t think Mile High can officially endorse this project due to the business relationship with AI proper, but they have helped me and other customers with whatever parts I’ve needed along the way.

Reactions: MCHOG
I will say, I don’t recommend doing this unless you measure it out with a very accurate scale. The ratio of the aluminum putty is exactly 9:1, and I measured both out to 0.1g, so if you just wing it it’s highly likely that your ratio is off and the epoxy won’t cure as well as it should.

Yes, if you take your time during the action install the epoxy will be starting to harden when you get to the buttstock, but I haven’t found that to be an issue over many installs. If you’re worried you can always buy the Devcon plastic-steel epoxy that comes with the AX buttstock kit (or use that if you bought a new buttstock). Or I can send you another pre-measured portion of the aluminum putty.

Sorry to rain on your parade @FMJ, I just want to make sure everyone’s epoxy job is cured per the Devcon ratio.

Sam
No Problem. If the ratio is correct to begin with, and I'm sure that it is ... it's not that hard to split it in half.
What I want t know is if you're going to make an AR-15 grip conversion for the AI? That's got to be an easier job than all the work you did for the chassis.

Last edited:

Thank you Sam!
Rodney_6 I know exactly how you feel! Your rifle looks great!

Reactions: RMS6
No Problem. If the ratio is correct to begin with, and I'm sure that it is ... it's not that hard to split it in half.
What I want t know is if you're going to make an AR-15 grip conversion for the AI? That's got to be an easier job than all the work you did for the chassis.
As of right now I’m not planning on making an AI AR grip conversion. I looked at it in depth year or two ago and for my own reasons decided it wasn’t something I wanted to pursue. It looks like there is a good option on the market now and I have no intention of ripping that idea off or trying to undercut it on price.

Reactions: MysizeisMAGNUM
As of right now I’m not planning on making an AI AR grip conversion. I looked at it in depth year or two ago and for my own reasons decided it wasn’t something I wanted to pursue. It looks like there is a good option on the market now and I have no intention of ripping that idea off or trying to undercut it on price.
Class act 🍻

Lol, we are literally ripping apart rifles worth thousands of dollars and dudes bitch about 380.00. Support the company they’re producing a great product.

You have $400 for a grip go for it, I'm not so affluent to be able throw away my good senses. The chassis's were well worth their cost.

Put on the 308 barrel and went out to zero today. 1 rd at 50 yds to see if it's on paper still, make an adjustment and fired 5 rds at 100 yds. I'm good for next week's match.

20200912_122721_resized.jpg

20200912_122806_resized.jpg

Reactions: J-Fonz and RS14
To get ready for a match today, I shot the Obsession chassis yesterday for the first time. After having it all torn apart and putting it back together, windage was dead on and elevation was only .2 mils high, but that’s likely more from switching from a can to a brake. Was really amazed at the repeatability after reassembling it.
The match today went great and I couldn’t have been happier with how the chassis felt and performed. The stability on a bag was far and away better than the original AT chassis and the balance with the 2 lb. weight felt great as well. I didn’t win the match but at my current level I didn’t expect to, but I did have a personal best which is awesome in my book! I’m going to love shooting this thing for a long time!

Attachments

• C9CE1E00-C737-4A30-A0B0-B9843B74D7A0.jpeg
    C9CE1E00-C737-4A30-A0B0-B9843B74D7A0.jpeg
    840.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 54BFF8CE-61D7-4FB5-BFD2-A225847C1667.jpeg
    54BFF8CE-61D7-4FB5-BFD2-A225847C1667.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 32657D86-E09F-4DEC-A824-415FAD70EA79.jpeg
    32657D86-E09F-4DEC-A824-415FAD70EA79.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
To get ready for a match today, I shot the Obsession chassis yesterday for the first time. After having it all torn apart and putting it back together, windage was dead on and elevation was only .2 mils high, but that’s likely more from switching from a can to a brake. Was really amazed at the repeatability after reassembling it.
The match today went great and I couldn’t have been happier with how the chassis felt and performed. The stability on a bag was far and away better than the original AT chassis and the balance with the 2 lb. weight felt great as well. I didn’t win the match but at my current level I didn’t expect to, but I did have a personal best which is awesome in my book! I’m going to love shooting this thing for a long time!
Damn dude, that’s awesome, congrats on the personal best at your match! Thanks for supporting this project, and thanks for sharing your initial experiences from your first couple sessions with the new chassis.

My experience has been similar with re-assembling; my zero barely moved, even with the barrel and scope being removed along with the re-bonding the chassis. I think more than anything it’s a testament to the repeatability and consistency of the AI platform, especially since my chassis simply replicates the action/chassis interface. Over the past 5 years of shooting an AI exclusively I have enjoyed not having to re-torque action screws or chase wandering zeroes, or worrying about barrel swaps.