• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AI and a Picatinny rail?

Doc1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2009
Orlando, FL
Concerning an AI: I have been told to not get the factory Picatinny rail and mount a scope in the single-piece AI scope mount directly to the receiver. Those of you that have AIs - what set-up do you like better - w/wo a Picatinny rail? Why

Re: AI and a Picatinny rail?

No problems with a pic--use it in conjunction with the AI one-piece base on my 308.

Some with the heavier calibers recommend the dovetail.

I would say dont get the pic rail. AI set the eye relief perfect for me w/o the pic rail. When you get into S&B with the lit reticule is where the problem begins. If you buy a AI one pc mount and a S&B w/lit reticule you will have only one place to put it. No adjustment forward or backward. With the pic rail you will have the ability to move forward or backwards to adjust for eye relief. Some will say that you can tighten the hell out of the mount and set it where you want. Then you will not have the stop to handle the recoil. The rifle was originally designed for no pic rail and no adjustable cheek. As the scopes grew in size, lit reticule and variable power the design of the rifle had to adjust. If none of this makes any sense talk to Stacy on the hide. He can explain it better. I hate adjustable anything and think simple is better (M40A1).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: terryg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say dont get the pic rail. AI set the eye relief perfect for me w/o the pic rail. When you get into S&B with the lit reticule is where the problem begins. If you buy a AI one pc mount and a S&B w/lit reticule you will have only one place to put it. No adjustment forward or backward. With the pic rail you will have the ability to move forward or backwards to adjust for eye relief. Some will say that you can tighten the hell out of the mount and set it where you want. Then you will not have the stop to handle the recoil. The rifle was originally designed for no pic rail and no adjustable cheek. As the scopes grew in size, lit reticule and variable power the design of the rifle had to adjust. If none of this makes any sense talk to Stacy on the hide. He can explain it better. I hate adjustable anything and think simple is better (M40A1). </div></div>That makes a lot of sense. And you read me to a tee - as a lit S&B is high on the list (possibly a NF ZS 5.5x25). Many thanks.

Here are a couple valid points on the Dovetail vs the Picatinny Rail that I discuss with customers:
1. If you are going to use anything over the 34mm, such as the 35mm and 40mm main tube scopes, Pic rail required since we only offer 30 and 34mm mounts.
2. If you are going to mount dedicated night vision optics/scopes such as the Raptor's, D740/D760 models with a Pic base, no need to have to buy an adapter to install on the dovetail to mount the NV optics, so get the Pic base.
3. If you are mounting a S&B LP model scope, be aware as mentioned you do not have any wiggle room in our mounts, so the eye relief will be set only by mounting base chosen, the AI dovetail has two different position, which I have found normally works for most shooters, however the Pic base does offer more adjustability within the range of the base.
4. If you are going to mount optional gear such as ACI/ADI, anti-cant devices, I-Phone and other TACTI-COOL gucci gear add on's, the Pic rail will be the desired mounting base.
NOTE: The one thing I have always pointed out to customers on this choice is that if you are going to mount your scope, leave it alone, shoot the weapon, want simple clean easy no question mounting, $310 more in options/gear/AMMO if you go with the dovetail and do not require any of the above mentioned add on's, then go with the AI Dovetail. I personally prefer the dovetail, simple, easy and classic.

Thanks Stacey. That adds some more food for thought. Knowing me (and I have already priced it out - Mile High) I will be purchasing the anti-cant device and ACI. So, it looks like a rail is now in the mix as well.

Thanks again. This information (this forum) is VALUABLE.

"Gucci Gear Add On's" I love it! Stacey is absolutely correct. There is no reason to get the Pic rail, the dove tail mounts are indestructible and very easy to work with. I have three AI's, all with the dove tail mounts and I can move scopes already mounted from gun to gun with very little adjustment. Highly recommended.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CubeWarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No problems with a pic--use it in conjunction with the AI one-piece base on my 308.

Some with the heavier calibers recommend the dovetail.

</div></div>

I have the 308 and 338 LM with Pic rail on them. No issue with mounting. That thing is as solid as bomb proof. I have also seen the AW50 with Pic rail as well. Can't comment on that since I don't have one. Reassure, the pic rail is very solidly mounted onto the gun. I like it better than the dove tail mount, because you can play with the eye relief a bit more than the dove tail. Also, as Stacey already pointed out in the above thread, the dove tail requires a proprietary AI dove tail mount. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Carnivore, glad to see you like that, its a TN. thing, ha ha.
Don't take me wrong on this, I am not saying the Pic rail is less reliable, durable or user friendly, just it is not needed for "lots" of customers. Why spend money on an item which you will not be utilizing the "Full" capabilities. I believe in recommending only what is required, not what is the "IN THING", if it works, KISS.
See most customers tend to mount their scope on the rifle, it lives there performing its duties as intended, not traveling to and from other weapons all the time or coming off for "maintenance/cleaning/inspection" stuff. Where other individuals, actually switch calibers/barrels/applications on this weapon, which may require a new primary optic solution, say its a 1" scope or something else which AI does not offer a mount for directly, then the "adapters" come in, more moving parts/height and cost if you have the dovetail to where if the Pic rail is installed, its simple. Best recommendation is always consider what you are trying to "HONESTLY" achieve and thoughtfully proceed through this just as you would in the Folder or Straight, or 20", 24" vs 26" barrel dilemma. One point to ensure is covered is that all the current AI Picatinny rails installed on the AE, AW series and AW-50 are all a 0moa flat base. Covering that, we offer a 30mm/18moa Pic, 30mm/28moa AI dovetail, 34mm/18moa, 28moa and 45moa in both the AI dovetail and Picatinny rail models.

You know crazy 'ole me, the only guy in the world who would order an AI without a barrel! Nice new toys from what I heard through the grape vine at Shot. I guess I'm going to have to buy one of those also.... Your a bad influence!

Yeap silly fella's in Colly town. Yeah I heard there were some really nice new rifles, new calibers, muzzle brakes, TI QD suppressors and even a Covert AE, who would ah thunk it huh!!!! Me bad influence, nope not me, just doing what I have been asked to do by many of my most "Famous" customers, he he he. I think you might just like what you see in the all new line up. Have a good weekend, hope the ice and snow don't cripple you to much there. We got 6", plus 1/2-1" of ice, the wife was at my daughters, helping plan for a "wedding", got 20miles from home and decided to spin out on some black ice and park the Expo in the right ditch. So, had to get the big truck out, go pull her out and just got back, what a evening. All good, safe and nothing damaged so we are good to go.

As stated... KISS!!!

I roll the dovetail, clip my Ipod nano to my Sordins and call it a day

Oh boy the Gucci gadgets come to the firing line please, he he....
Got to love the simplest things in line, when they work you just have to say, why do something that adds cost, height, weight and complexity. But there is always a nitch, need, desire or sometimes an actually requirement for something new or more flexible.

This thread is answering all of the questions i just recently came across today except - why does nightforce not want people to use dove tails with there scopes? is there a hazard in the sense of breakage / damage for using the dove tail i have with my AI? its a 338 lapua ai aw if that is of relevance

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Intrepid4576</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread is answering all of the questions i just recently came across today except - why does nightforce not want people to use dove tails with there scopes? is there a hazard in the sense of breakage / damage for using the dove tail i have with my AI? its a 338 lapua ai aw if that is of relevance</div></div>

There's no particular hazard - I'm not sure why you say that Nightforce "doesn't want people to use dove tails". Offhand, I'm guessing that Nightforce wants to sell more Nightforce rings.

In any case, it's largely an academic question nowadays, since you can't (to my knowledge) buy a brand-new AW with a dovetail anymore...and if it's a used rifle, you're going to get whatever you get.

Never heard that one, so if that is a "new recommendation" from NF, I would be interested in the justification/reasoning honestly. Makes me wonder if I should pull my NF's off the AW's with dovetails and just replace them with S&B's which don't seem to have any concerns. But honestly, the dovetail with any scope works very well, except for those with the funky 35mm and 40mm main tubes and only since mounts are difficult to obtain other than the Picatinny rail setup.

Personally I would never buy a serious sniperrifle such as AI or TRG with screw on rail.
The integral rail is one feature that I think makes the AIAW such a great gun, there is one very important thing less to fail.
And making a sandwish solution with adding a completely unnessary picatinny rail onto that is in MY opinion to downgrading an extremely well suited sniperrifle a couple of steps down.

If AI had offered their actions with integral picatinny rails the situation would have been entierly different, but now it's just an add on rail.

Mostly proffesional users that are using NV those days sticks to PVS22-27 and similar devices and there is no real need for removing the optics.

If there is a need for additional items such as levels, ACI,Lasers, secondary sights etc there is other and better solutions than the picrails
smile.gif

Håkan

Stacey just so you know what nightforces new manual says ill type it out here word for word

"Under no circumstances do we recommend the use of turn-in style rotary / dove tail type ring and base designs, especially those equipped with windage adjustment."

When i was going threw the manual learning how to set up the scope i came accross that and became confused ( being as this is my first ever firearm )

I did however mount it on after reading this thread and found out the lard end of the scope was in direct contact with the barrel, so im at a point of having to buy a new mount that is taller....that's just my assumption at this point have to see if they even make them taller

after reading what was posted here i really want to stay with the dovetail system it seems simpler and sturdy to me

also the opinions on this thread seem to be of sound mind and in accord with my own

ill be making some calls today to find out about taller mounts

thanks guys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Intrepid4576</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stacey just so you know what nightforces new manual says ill type it out here word for word

"Under no circumstances do we recommend the use of turn-in style rotary / dove tail type ring and base designs, especially those equipped with windage adjustment."

When i was going threw the manual learning how to set up the scope i came accross that and became confused ( being as this is my first ever firearm )

I did however mount it on after reading this thread and found out the lard end of the scope was in direct contact with the barrel, so im at a point of having to buy a new mount that is taller....that's just my assumption at this point have to see if they even make them taller

after reading what was posted here i really want to stay with the dovetail system it seems simpler and sturdy to me

also the opinions on this thread seem to be of sound mind and in accord with my own

ill be making some calls today to find out about taller mounts

thanks guys </div></div>

I don't think this they are referring to the "AI dovetail" mount, but the dovetail front rings found on a typical hunting rifle setup:

http://swfa.com/Leupold-Standard-2-Piece-Base-P1114.aspx

ah well i guess that would make alot more sense - sorry for the confusion...i guess these things happen when your new at something

I agree and what NF is referring to will be the Leupold and Weaver designs which were intended for use on your normal hunting setups and were and are still a method of mounting for these purposes today. Under no circumstances do I believe NF is referring to the AI Dovetail mounting systems. First thing is they are a true unimount system and there is no "windage" adjustments on these mounts.

On the AI Picatinny mounting system to the integral dovetail, they are not just "screwed" onto the receiver. Once they are installed with the x2 screws, x2 pins and epoxied they are to be considered a "permanent" fixture. The rail does not comes off with out lots of heat and machining, its not a pretty operation believe me. As of now most of the military contracts with AI they are utilizing the Picatinny rail and have no issues so that sound clearly answer any concerns with the design as well. Have a good weekend.

I have yet not seen any AI where the Rail have loosened, so they might very well be there perfectly well.
But I have seen a number of other rails on other manufacturers guns that have loosened so in my opinion I think maximum security is one piece.....
And in AI that means dovetail.
But as there is both choises everyone can have what he likes.

Håkan

One thing I donot like about the Pitcanny rail on the AWs is the extra height they put into the scope/bore height .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
One thing I donot like about the Pitcanny rail on the AWs is the extra height they put into the scope/bore height .
</div></div>

I can't say anything about the AW, but on the AE MkII the pic rail doesn't add much at all. In fact I have to swap out the rings on my AE because with Low rings the Razor sits too low for most other shooters. It's fine for me, but I the cheek piece is bottomed out and can't go lower for others.

The only issue I have with the pic rail on the AE MkII is the slot spacing. They skipped some slots and it limits the rings/mounts you can use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Those of you that have AIs - what set-up do you like better - w/wo a Picatinny rail? Why </div></div>

AE_0646.jpg

BTW, you aren't getting any lower than that with a 50mm objective.

With the AI chassis design, straight rail system, compared to the "normal stocks" of to day, which have a heel/comb drop of 1/2" to some with 1.75" range there is a big difference. Most AI users can not use a Low Pic ring but most go to a Medium Pic ring (referring to rings such as Badger, NF etc.) to obtain proper eye box/ocular alignment. With the AI Pic mounting solutions, they do raise the bore center line and optics center line, however, that allows for clearance of basically all your optics universally so there is always a give and take. Then later if you add UNS/NV/Thermal systems, you end up allowing for more height due to that added system. So you can only do but so much to meet universal end use. Have a good weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have yet not seen any AI where the Rail have loosened, so they might very well be there perfectly well.</div></div>I believe a combination of epoxy and screws are used, therefore the mounts are on permanently.

I am a big fan of the dovetail mount as well, I had it on an AW and it worked great. The only negative I can draw is that it limits your use of mounts. On the other end, the AI mount and Spuhr mount are both excellent, so I never felt lacking for a better mount.

How is the pic rail attached to the receiver?

Are AIs that are slated to get a pic rail constructed differently - ie do all receivers start out as dovetails and then a pic rail is grafted to the receiver over dovetail?

If so, can the pic rail be removed?

Good luck

All AW receivers have the dovetail machined directly into the receiver, the AI Picatinny mounting is dovetailed and slides directly onto the integral dovetail, they are installed with the x2 screws, x2 pins and epoxied they are to be considered a "permanent" fixture. The AW's Pic rails do not offer a "slant" or cant, simply 0moa and install one of the AI mounts to obtain the 18, 28 or 45moa solutions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stacey are the AE MkII mounts also pinned and glued?</div></div>

I am not speaking for Stacey, but MKII are not glued or pinned. They are actually made so you can remove them and spin 180 deg to get different mounting positions (change eye relief).

No sir, the AE series are all simply screwed on with x4 screws directly into the receiver. The Pic rail is removable and can be moved forward, backwards and even rotated 180 degrees to allow further flexibility for the end users.

If you haven't found a need to move the scope back or forwards and the rings are working in the position the rail is installed in, then I wouldn't recommend you pulling it off to just play with or try. If its not broke then don't try to break it basically.

What I was referring to is the total height increase , and its mainly caused by the AI pitcanny mounts being taller than the dovetail versions , I agree the rail is rather low profile .

I think , its around 1/4 inche higher in total , I think IF you are going to mount a NV device then the pitcanny is the better option , most will not be doing this .