• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AXSR Vs Barrett MRAD

AI AXSR Vs Barrett MRAD

• AI AXSR

Votes: 82 78.1%
  • Barrett MRAD

Votes: 23 21.9%

• Total voters

Sure Shot 45

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Jan 13, 2020
    I bought my first bolt gun about a year ago. The AI AT .308 20in folding stock, which I absolutely love. Still on the hunt for green skins/thumbhole set...

Now I'm in the market for a heavy caliber rifle, was thinking .338LM but with the cost of ammo now .300WM seems more practical.

Sadly I missed the boat on the AIMCs that were heavily discounted...

Now looking at either the AXSR or MRAD. I've never had my hands on either, would love to hear from you folks who have. There's a huge price difference between the two, price quotes I have are about +3k on the AI. is the AXSR really that much better, worth the extra 3k? Am I going to be happy living with the MRAD if I'm used to the AI AT quality?

Thanks in advance folks!

Lots of subjective questions that only you can really answer. Given the chuck of change you’d be shelling out, I’d try to get my hands on an MRAD if at all possible.

I went through the same decision (well for me it was AXMC vs MRAD) last year and I went with the AXMC. Have zero regrets.

One of the factors in my decision was familiarity with the system as I had an AXSA previous. Another was the ease of barrel changes as well as number of barrel / cartridge options out there for the AI over the MRAD at the time.

Reactions: Sure Shot 45
    I am an AXMC owner and I love it but I also got a great deal on it too. I think what you need to ask yourself is how many rounds are you going to fire per year through it? What kind or range do you have to shoot it on? Costs to shoot?

For me, I have my own private range that can go out to a mile and I reload. So I went ahead and spent the money and topped it with a ZCO MPCT3 with a AI match trigger upgrade and the big atlas bipod for it. All the people I take to the range fall in love with it.

If it is not going to be shot a whole lot, then maybe the Barrett is a better choice for you. They make a good gun too.

I guess I'm being more of a financial advisor in hindsight.

Both are top notch I had an AXMC and MRAD,
    I liked the MRAD better, sold the MC.
    I think the SR fixes most of my gripes about MC.
    If money didn’t matter, I really don’t know which I would have, probably both, lol.

One difference that doesn’t get brought up very often is the chassis styles

mrad is really more like a tube gun ( action inside chassis vs the AI is the conventional action on top of chassis.

There are several other threads about this as well, just hit the search.

I’ve been searching a ton in the past couple months. I, like you, own a AIAT. It’s currently running a 20” 308 barrel. Mine has a combo of camo/green AI thumb hole skins

I’ve been on a quest for the perfect magnum platform. Finally decided on a used AXMC. Which I purchased recently with 338 bolt/mag and am in the process of acquiring the optic. Have already purchased the 300 bolt/mag etc for it so I can run everything from 300 WM/PRC to 338 LM.

I’ll use the AT for the short action cartridges so that wasn’t a concern to me
    30E55772-75F2-408A-A52D-E3042E9542AE.jpeg

6F6B9796-4DEE-4FBA-AF54-4810EE7911A9.jpeg
    8746FFCC-01B3-4BF2-8AF6-F675930800F4.jpeg

I owned an AI super magnum in 300 win. I consider that, quite possibly, the smoothest action (rifle) and well built that I ever owned. Having said that, I currently own a Barrett MRAD in 338 LM, with caliber conversions in 300 win and 6.5 cm. I am happy with it. If safe space was unlimited I would also own an AXMC; but I would shoot and enjoy both.

The DTA is another I researched a ton. But still went AI in the end

Once you run an AI with its silky smooth action, double stack mags and just all around awesome design it’s really hard to get behind anything else.

I honestly wish I’d had just gone with the AI years ago an saved the whole Remington/savage era.

Top tier guns, be it AI, barret, Sako or DTA have a decent price tag on them. But they end up being cheaper in the long run. Especially when your working with quick change barrel/bolt kits

I have a MRAD with barrel kits in 6.5-CM, 300-WM, 300-PRC, 308-Win, and 338-LM. Every barrel shoots reliable sub-MOA and I've got barrel changes down to sub-5-minutes. I wish I could go back in time, make this my first rifle, and save the money I spent on BA rifles before my MRAD.

Add my 2-c. I have come to love the MRAD when the Mk22 was selected. The MRAD was designed from the ground up to be a barrel swap gun. The AIMX does a great job, as does the Cadex Kraken. I find the MRAD to be the most friendly for barrel swaps, as the need for additional hardware is minimal. There is no real bolt change needed.

In my view, ask yourself: are you looking for a great rifle, and want the ability sometime in the future to change out a barrel, or do you really want a rifle with frequent swaps. If you are actually going to the range and test firing with inexpensive .308 ammo, and will swap to a larger caliber, the MRAD is your gun. If you want a rifle with a specific barrel and you might want to occasionally shoot out 1,800 yards, then look closely at the AI and the Cadex. AI has more customer experience with their platform, but that does not make it better than Cadex. AI uses their barrels and Cadex uses Bartlein blanks, so this becomes a very personal choice.

One thing that might be a big decision is whether you want to wait a year + for the MRAD folder. Bud of mine and others here on SH have stated such. He also said that Hinterland is no longer taking orders for the MRAD due to the long wait. Barrel conversions are also hard to get a hold of.
    He went with the MRAD and loves it. Use the money that you save over AI for ammo. That's if you want to bear the wait.

View attachment 7574524
    Buy the AXSR you will not regret it.

That's a beautiful SR, I'm envious.

Given the long ETA on the MRAD I was going to stretch the budget and buy the AXSR. However I found a deal on a unfired AXMC 338LM with Pelican and 100 rounds of Thunder for $6600 local private party transfer. It's a done deal.

I've had an AX, AXMC, MRAD and now an AT LE. I liked the MRAD a lot but I had mine prior to the switch barrel calibers release. I waited for the caliber swaps and got tired of waiting and sold it prematurely only for the caliber swaps to come out less than a year later lol. Shooting only 338 can get pricey. The AXMC was nice but I rarely used the magnum calibers so it went on down the road in short order. I should have never sold my original AX but at the time I was more interested in having multiple SR-25's than I was in having a quality bolt gun, live and learn.

For the money the MRAD is hard to beat but if you're already familiar with the AI chassis/operations I'd have a hard time not recommending the AI. Even as difficult as it can be to find AI stuff in my experience it's even more difficult to find stuff for the Barrett and obviously the aftermarket is much smaller for the platform as well. At the end of the day it's your money and if that's your number one concern it would be hard to ignore the MRAD, it's just a shame that it lacks the folding stock like the original 338 version.

I was able to acquire the MRAD foldable, FDE in 6.5 last week. It also has the new mlock fore end. Very happy.

It's the best thing Barrett ever designed but I personally don't like the feel of the MRAD/Mk22 and I don't shoot mine as well as other rifles but I've also only got about 300 rounds through it.

Instead of starting another thread I’ll just revive this one.

So looking at price comparison is the AXSR really worth the extra money? Is it that much better? Aesthetically I like the AXSR better but looking at the MRAD on 300 prc with a 6.5CM conversion kits am looking at 8k as to the AXSR with the same configuration it’s 13k roughly.

Both have issues. MRAD has a serious flaw that is being worked on at the moment. I would not buy either. Money is better spent on a full custom build to your specs. Will be more reliable, accurate and durable.

Reactions: Islas82

So looking at price comparison is the AXSR really worth the extra money? Is it that much better? Aesthetically I like the AXSR better but looking at the MRAD on 300 prc with a 6.5CM conversion kits am looking at 8k as to the AXSR with the same configuration it’s 13k roughly.
    Only you can make that decision.
    I have an AXSR and I’d be the first one to shit on it if there was something to shit on (other than the price haha). I was torn between the two and went AI because I always wanted one. You aren’t going to hit targets with one that you can’t hit with the other so it’s really just which do you want.

MH and EO are really easy to deal with so on the AI side I have everything I need. With the AXSR, I know I can fall down the side of the mountain and whoever finds me years later will have a rifle that will still work.

I dunno. Hit a match and ask to handle the ones you see out there.

Reactions: Nik H and Islas82
    We've had lots of issues with Barrett. AI has been pretty stellar for me. I'm pretty much off the opinion that as long as AI is making rifles I will never build a custom gun that isn't a .223 or .22LR.

Only you can make that decision.
    I have an AXSR and I’d be the first one to shit on it if there was something to shit on (other than the price haha). I was torn between the two and went AI because I always wanted one. You aren’t going to hit targets with one that you can’t hit with the other so it’s really just which do you want.

MH and EO are really easy to deal with so on the AI side I have everything I need. With the AXSR, I know I can fall down the side of the mountain and whoever finds me years later will have a rifle that will still work.

I dunno. Hit a match and ask to handle the ones you see out there.
    Haven’t seen any SRs locally but I know one with an Mrad. Maybe next time I’ll ask to get behind it.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
    For less than the retail price an AXSR (what, $11K now?) I have an MRAD in three calibers. Some folks dislike all the space age polymer parts, but it contributes to a supremely smooth bolt throw, more so than any AI I’ve shot or owned (AXMC, AT-X, AXSA, AT).

I’ve been able to shoot slightly over 1/2 MOA without trouble using factory match ammo and it’s already MLOK so no trying to find a rare ass forend to swap. There are negatives - the length of pull on the MRAD is a design element you can’t readily change and it is orangutan long. If you damage the forend, congrats, that’s the receiver because it’s all one monolithic entity.

If I had the money, I’d think about the AXSR. Better yet, I’d buy both. But really just buy two TacOps instead.

Last edited:
    Haven’t seen any SRs locally but I know one with an Mrad. Maybe next time I’ll ask to get behind it.
    I bet he’d be more than happy to let you get on it.

I’ve run the old “MRADs” back in like 2013 but no idea how well it stacks up against the current MRAD.

As for what homeboy is saying about a flaw/issue with the AXSR, I dunno what that would be. Unless he’s repeating the same trigger issue talking point from the ASR trials that doesn’t apply to the AXSR. The MRAD/MK22 issue also included hang/delayed fires.

Seriously tho. Unless I have access to ELR range in my backyard, I wouldn’t spend $12000!!! On a axsr.

Could buy a ATX for $3000 , a custom 300nm and (2) ZCOs

Seriously tho. Unless I have access to ELR range in my backyard, I wouldn’t spend $12000!!! On a axsr.

I've thought about selling my MRAD and just getting another TacOps...

These mutli-cal military rifles make sense if you can have or desire only one rifle for some reason.

I’ve owned an Impact & Zeus with a few different stocks.

For those shooting mostly short action, the Zeus in a Manners TCS is like a sports car, feels heavy in all the right places and you can just rip.

No experience with the MRAD, but as mentioned; there’s a lot of polymer. Too much for me. I’ve never found them appealing.

Desert Tech was my first go round with a multi caliber and it was a huge disappointment all that aside from the shit ergonomics. Gen 1 DT rifle with what I found out to be a defective Gen 1 bolt. They did not stand behind their product and offered only a 20% discount on a “Gen 2” bolt to repair the rifle.

Owned an AXMC and after upgrading to the AXSR, I can’t say it’s vastly different. Nothing against the SR, the MC is that good. SR improvements provided over the MC are essentially covered with aftermarket options a SR provides out of the gate I.e. Grip & Arca rail; the action upgrades for bolt lift, over pressure, and stock differences are minimal IMO. If you can find a deal on an AXMC or AXSR, you will not be disappointed.

Everyone here knows I love my MRAD ... I'm not taking the bait this time. 🐟

Owned an AXMC and after upgrading to the AXSR, I can’t say it’s vastly different. Nothing against the SR, the MC is that good. SR improvements provided over the MC are essentially covered with aftermarket options a SR provides out of the gate I.e. Grip & Arca rail; the action upgrades for bolt lift, over pressure, and stock differences are minimal IMO. If you can find a deal on an AXMC or AXSR, you will not be disappointed.
    I feel like this will be the verdict on those passing up ATX deals for dirt cheap to pay the new atxc prices. But time will tell

I’ve got the AXMC and the MRAD. I like both but will choose the AI 9 out of 10 times. At this point it’s probably due to being a bit more familiar with its feel. I’ve been on a Cadex kick the last couple years and they are an absolute hammer as well.

Dude…my AXSR lives as a 308/65CM 😂
    There are times I ponder if I could have went ATX with a Wilcox at this point 😂😂😂.

That said, I love being able to spin the 300PRC barrel on

1712362485138.gif

Last edited:
    I've had an AXSR for a few years and have time behind an MRAD for comparison. I like the AXSR more, but the insane pricing of the AXSR now makes it very hard to recommend now.

Both guns may be disappointing if they're just used as glorified short action platforms or you don't have access to a >1000y range. Not throwing shade at anyone in particular.

Yes it really is worth the extra. I had an mrad and sold it for my axsr and have zero regrets. Barrett wasn’t exactly very helpful with my issues on my mrad.

Yes it really is worth the extra. I had an mrad and sold it for my axsr and have zero regrets. Barrett wasn’t exactly very helpful with my issues on my mrad.
    What issues?

I damaged a bolt head and they replaced it and headspaced the barrel within a week.

What issues?

I damaged a bolt head and they replaced it and headspaced the barrel within a week.
    Couldn’t get it to shoot better than 3-4 moa. Sent it in and they said the crown had a ding and they would recrown it. Sent it back after 3 weeks and the crown had chatter marks you could feel. Sold it with a disclaimer and the new owner couldn’t get it to shoot better than 3-4 moa again.

I sent pics when it arrived and I saw that it looked like it was cut with a dull butter knife. They said it looked to be in spec and there wasn’t much they could do.

I've thought about selling my MRAD and just getting another TacOps...

These mutli-cal military rifles make sense if you can have or desire only one rifle for some reason.
    The ability to shoot any caliber from 6mm to 338 LM may be useful at some point.

I would always own an AXMC or AXSR.

Tried Barrett...agree with @BurtG that they leave a lot to be desired in many respects. Would never trust polymer parts long term. Just me...know that Barrett has a lot of advocates.

Reactions: Islas82 and BurtG
    The ability to shoot any caliber from 6mm to 338 LM may be useful at some point.

I would always own an AXMC or AXSR.

Tried Barrett...agree with @BurtG that they leave a lot to be desired in many respects. Would never trust polymer parts long term. Just me...know that Barrett has a lot of advocates.
    Are the polymer parts being referred to the bolt sleeves and bolt knob or is there more?

Are the polymer parts being referred to the bolt sleeves and bolt knob or is there more?
    Cheekpad and mag release, too. Don’t get it twisted though, the polymer sleeves make the bolt quite smooth. Also two stage trigger is just fine, no complaints there. Been a while since I pulled a trigger on a standard AI trigger, but it’s not particularly different from that IMO.

The barrel retention method makes for a faster barrel swap than an AI since it slides right in, no screwing. Two bolt clamp is tried and true prior art, I’m told. Most barrels are “proprietary” to some extent, whether it’s tenon threads or breech face.

Cheekpad and mag release, too. Don’t get it twisted though, the polymer sleeves make the bolt quite smooth. Also two stage trigger is just fine, no complaints there. Been a while since I pulled a trigger on a standard AI trigger, but it’s not particularly different from that IMO.

The barrel retention method makes for a faster barrel swap than an AI since it slides right in, no screwing. Two bolt clamp is tried and true prior art, I’m told. Most barrels are “proprietary” to some extent, whether it’s tenon threads or breech face.
    I been watching lots of reviews and reading stuff here and there. I know timney makes an aftermarket trigger so that’s nice, the bolt sleeves seem to make sense. I didn’t know about the magazine release, that’s kinda gay.

I been watching lots of reviews and reading stuff here and there. I know timney makes an aftermarket trigger so that’s nice, the bolt sleeves seem to make sense. I didn’t know about the magazine release, that’s kinda gay.
    It’s fucking BEEFY. I don’t know what drives material selection, but I’m not worried about it.

I haven’t considered an aftermarket trigger at all. I never adjusted my AI, I never adjusted my TRG (except moving the shoe 😍), and I’ve never touched the Barrett’s. If triggers are holding you back…

It’s fucking BEEFY. I don’t know what drives material selection, but I’m not worried about it.

I haven’t considered an aftermarket trigger at all. I never adjusted my AI, I never adjusted my TRG (except moving the shoe 😍), and I’ve never touched the Barrett’s. If triggers are holding you back…
    Not really holding me back. I guess I won’t know till I feel one really. What does yours break at?