• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS or Manners..

Minarix

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2012
US
Time has come to get a a custom stock, and i'm torn between manners and a AICS i hear great things about both.

Sadly i'm prob the only person within a 50mile radius that is interested in bolt action target shooting, so i won't be able to get behind ethier of the stocks to get a feel for em'

The models i'm looking at is the, of course the cheaper option is always more viable, but paying abit more for a better product also has it perks, ultimatly just looking for feed back on these 3 setups, if you been behind one let me know, also if you are anywhere near the bulloch county area in georgia and have one of these, or something similair and would let me get behind it just to get a feel for the system - not to shoot- let me know
wink.gif

MCS-T5A- $661.50

mcs-t5-300x141.jpg

or

MCS-GAT- about $491.50

MCS-GAT333333-606x179-300x88.jpg

VS

AICS Stock 1.5 Dark Earth .308- $857.14
AICS-stock-1.5-short-action-fixed-stock-dark-earth.jpg

Re: AICS or Manners..

I have a aics surgeon and a mcs-t mini chassis rem aac-sd. If weight is a concern go manners. I love both but I hunt with the mcs-t and feel the aics is better for prone shooting.
My advice is to find a tactical rifle match near you and get behind them all. You may even find stuff you like that you didn't know existed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: axeltow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a aics surgeon and a mcs-t mini chassis rem aac-sd. If weight is a concern go manners. I love both but I hunt with the mcs-t and feel the aics is better for prone shooting. </div></div>not to worried about weight, it will be a range only gun, and it's already a heavy barrel, and looking to slap a sup on it in the future aswell. i don't hunt anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stmcelroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking forward to the answers to this too.

Been planning on a Manners T2/T4 with Mini-Chassis but the AICS is the same price.... </div></div>

yea.. it's like being at the car dealership and have two trucks you want, but can only have one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: axeltow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check my edit above </div></div>

may have to do that, closest 1k yard range is about hour 50 mins away, i'm just not the kinda guy tho that would walk up and ask to get behind someone else rig hehe...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Minarix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
axeltow said:
...i'm just not the kinda guy tho that would walk up and ask to get behind someone else rig hehe... </div></div>

Then I wouldn't feel bad for you if you buy the wrong one.

Introduce yourself, tell them your plan and ask. Don't be a pussy.
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Minarix</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: axeltow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check my edit above </div></div>

may have to do that, closest 1k yard range is about hour 50 mins away, i'm just not the kinda guy tho that would walk up and ask to get behind someone else rig hehe... </div></div>
You never know. My neighbors unknowingly ended up at a swingers party over Christmas.

haha.. yea.. ima young buck- 20, got some fucking nuts in georgia tho, i'll have to see when coolsacres has a comp, i think alot of .50s come out there, guess it would be nice to see what 1k yards is like, never shot past 200.

I had a T4 with the mini chassis but switched to an AICS with viper skins. The action fits better in it than the manners. Also, the IMUNS is a simple plug in system if you end up wanting a night vision rail. I don't mind crawling through the brush as much with the AICS because its just plastic that can't really be damaged. If it does get damaged some how you can always get new ones. That being said, the manners stocks are extremely durable. I wouldn't have a problem getting another manners if I'm ever looking for a conventional rifle stock. Like others have stated, the most important thing is how it fits you so do what you can to try them out.

I bought a used T5 from a gent here on the Hide, & he was selling it, to switch over to an AICS. The reason being that the two felt very much alike to him, just that he didn't want to do the whole inlet for DBM thing.

Also, I haven't done the math lately, but if you're thinking about putting a DBM setup into a Manners or McMillan, compare the cost of inletting, bedding, & hardware, + the cost of the stock, to an AICS. Used to be the AICS route was cheaper, but things have changed some since then. So it's worth redoing the figures.

that's another thing i was thinking, would it be possible to convert to a detach mag with ease on these, current one is the hinged, and it's kind of a pain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UNCIVILIZED</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a used T5 from a gent here on the Hide, & he was selling it, to switch over to an AICS. The reason being that the two felt very much alike to him, just that he didn't want to do the whole inlet for DBM thing.

Also, I haven't done the math lately, but if you're thinking about putting a DBM setup into a Manners or McMillan, compare the cost of inletting, bedding, & hardware, + the cost of the stock, to an AICS. Used to be the AICS route was cheaper, but things have changed some since then. So it's worth redoing the figures. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Minarix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that's another thing i was thinking, would it be possible to convert to a detach mag with ease on these, current one is the hinged, and it's kind of a pain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UNCIVILIZED</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a used T5 from a gent here on the Hide, & he was selling it, to switch over to an AICS. The reason being that the two felt very much alike to him, just that he didn't want to do the whole inlet for DBM thing.

Also, I haven't done the math lately, but if you're thinking about putting a DBM setup into a Manners or McMillan, compare the cost of inletting, bedding, & hardware, + the cost of the stock, to an AICS. Used to be the AICS route was cheaper, but things have changed some since then. So it's worth redoing the figures. </div></div> </div></div>

If you get the AICS or the manners with the mini chassis your rifle will use aics mags.

I vote AICS, but I just bought a 2.0. I got behind one at SRT Supply and I just liked it. I planned on putting Viperskins on regardless though because I'm an AR guy. It's a great system. No personal experience with Manners, but I can say I've only heard good things about them and their mini chassis. Something to keep in mind is that the AICS is readily available. Have to wait for a new Manners.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clj94104</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I vote AICS, but I just bought a 2.0. I got behind one at SRT Supply and I just liked it. I planned on putting Viperskins on regardless though because I'm an AR guy. It's a great system. No personal experience with Manners, but I can say I've only heard good things about them and their mini chassis. Something to keep in mind is that the AICS is readily available. Have to wait for a new Manners. </div></div>

yea.. was hoping if i do go with a manners that the one i want is ready to ship.

my 2 cents, having made that decision not too long ago, is, mostly, the same as everyone elses. Go shoot them......you cant go too far wrong with either. I bet if you went to the range and talked about what you are looking to do most folks would be happy to give you an opinion and at least let you get behind one. I would even ask the RO if he knows anyone that you might talk with.

I ended up with the Manners primarily because it fit right. Since then I am really happy I did as I needed some help(not warranty work). I called, got great advice and when I needed more sophisticated help I sent it in. Great people to work with, excellent work, crazy fast turn around and expert advice. At the end of the day the level of C/S from Manners is excellent.

If you can try them and they are reasonably close in fit and price I would go with the Manners. CS Tactical (and others) advertise here on the Hide and are also great to work with if you are looking for the Manners.

I have both. It's highly dependent on how you like your hand position to be.

You have to get behind each and make the determination yourself.

They are both absolutely top notch... you won't be unhappy with either.

As previously stated make sure you consider the costs of DBM, bedding, and inletting in your figures for your cost. That's the Advantage of the AICS as it's pretty much a bolt on deal, where a manners (sans mini chassis) is going to need DBM and possibly some inletting and a bedding job. Not huge things if you can do them yourself, but if you have to send it to a smith it's going to significantly increase the cost on the manners.

Also if your going with a LA the AICS 2.0 is much nicer than the 1.5 since you won't have to mess with the adjustable comb to remove the bolt as you can just fold the stock. I've got one on a SA and can still remove the bolt without folding it but went with the 2.0 anyway. Yeah you can put the thumbscrews in the 1.5 and make it easier, but it's nice to be able to not mess with it and keep your adjustments the same at all times.

But yeah, long story short, it's doubtful that you'll be disappointed either way you go.

Last edited:
I had an AICS, and switched to a manners T5A. There's nothing wrong with the AICS, but I found the manners more comfortable for me. But thats just my opinion, you REALLY need to try both to be sure of what will work best for you.

BTW, the cost on the manners once you factor in a DBM, and the other small things you'll want, will be more than the AICS.

Fit is important but also look at what you intend to do with it. Some say hunting, but that consist of lying prone in an open field or hill on overwatch. That choice would change if you actually need to carry it about. I have the AI but I also have a Manners TA on order and the FN PBR is going to GAP today to get it ready.(Rock copy)

If you contact Manners and tell them the deal, a lot of times they will send you a stock and let you try it out and see if it fits you. Tom is a solid dude and they all want to promote the sport.

With that being said I am a AI guy. I run a AIAW and just acquired a LA in a 2.0. One thing to think about is the 2.0 weights about 1lb more than a 1.5.

Cheers,

Nutt

As Nuttshooter said, I contacted Tom at Manners and talked to him as I couldn't make up my mind between 2 of his stocks. He sent 1 of each so I could see which one I liked. While I talked with him the second time I decided on a different on.. ended up with a 6a. I couldn't be happier.. They have great customer service and he answer all your questions... Give them a call, you wont regret it even if you go aics, at least it will help you make up your mind.

We have AI:6263's on sale for 697.71 + actual shipping, ie, 1.5 FDE S/A Chassis, in stock!

I was shopping for stocks recently and don't think I ever came across an AICS that cheap so if interested I would jump on it. Thanks for supporting the forum Mile High.

Have an AICS 1.5, Manners T2 and T4 and personally the T2 is what I'd put under any future builds.

Started with the AICS and used it for two years and had a custom rifle built with the T2, It took me a bit to get used to it but now when I grab my AICS I ride my thumb on the side rather than use the thumb hole. The Manners stocks are also thinner at the cheek rest so its pretty easy to get a good sight picture strong and weak side.
Another plus for me on the Manners is that its a flat bottom to the mag well which works great when your on barricade at a match and using the mag for support.
The AICS is sloped before the mag so if you use it in the same way as the manners its tilting and not as solid for points of contact, its even worse if the barricade happens to be at an angle because now its also tilting sideways because of the slope before the mag.

AICS is a great chassis system and if you don't need it in the way I mentioned it works fantastic, But for me the Manners is the first choice.

My intended purpose is for prone shooting at long ranges. I have held a Manners T5 and it feels like high quality and I have heard they have some of the best customer support. My rifle is a 700 5R Tactical model with the cerakoted barrel in 300WM. I have compared prices and it's a toss up. I like the folding option of the 2.0 and the weight of it for recoil purposes. I don't mind the thumbhole grip but I naturally just rest my thumb on the side of the grip. THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INFO, it seems I have a win/win decision to make :)

As just about everyone has said above, go and get behind them. I went through the same process last year. I really wanted a AICS, but did not like it once I was behind it, I choose the Manners T-5 adj. Others seem to really like AICS, just depends on how it fits you. Take everyone's advice and get behind both before you buy!

Stocks are very much personal preference. Both the Manners and AICS are excellent but if you don't feel comfortable behind it or the ergonomics then you won't like it. I hate pistol grips and thumbhole stocks so I wouldn't get an AICS. I wouldn't get a Manners T5 either. Just personal preference. I like a more traditional stock and that's why I use Manners T3 stocks. Also the AICS are heavy stocks. If you wanted a lighter option then the Manners would be a better option.

Stocks are very much personal preference. Both the Manners and AICS are excellent but if you don't feel comfortable behind it or the ergonomics then you won't like it. I hate pistol grips and thumbhole stocks so I wouldn't get an AICS. I wouldn't get a Manners T5 either. Just personal preference. I like a more traditional stock and that's why I use Manners T3 stocks. Also the AICS are heavy stocks. If you wanted a lighter option then the Manners would be a better option.

My feelings as well. Due to the AICS weight I always planned a magnum build on one though unsure if I'll ever do a short action build with one.

The manners with the mini chassis is venturing around 860$? Personal opinion is id go manners with mini chassis and run with it.

Planning out a 700 AAC build and going manners at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a MCS-T and loved it. I went to an AICS AX because I needed something with more weight because I changed to a long action magnium caliber and wanted to be able to watch my shots go down range. My suggestion is if your shooting almost exlusively prone and have a large caliber round then go aics. If you have a light recoil round or need to hunt with the rifle and off hand it regularly then go manners. Both are excellent stocks. But if you go manners without the mini chassis make sure you bed it.

Good Luck,
Merritt

As Nuttshooter said, I contacted Tom at Manners and talked to him as I couldn't make up my mind between 2 of his stocks. He sent 1 of each so I could see which one I liked. While I talked with him the second time I decided on a different on.. ended up with a 6a. I couldn't be happier.. They have great customer service and he answer all your questions... Give them a call, you wont regret it even if you go aics, at least it will help you make up your mind.

This^^. Tom makes some bad ass stocks, and his customer service is excellent, without a doubt. As others have stated, you can get a sample stock sent to you for the cost of shipping (and probably a CC deposit for their insurance). I had a T5A, and loved it, but decided for comps, a non-thumbhole style was a little more of what i needed. I ended up selling it and going with a T6A, awesome stock. I actually like it better than the McM A-5. I now have an EH-1 & EH-3 inbound for current projects, and any further stock needs will be filled by Tom and his crew. You can't go wrong with a manners.