• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AICS vs MCM A5

Martin Taylor

Private
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2011
Marquette, MI
not sure where this should go but I couldn't really find anything when I searched so it's going here.

This is a ways out for me, but going around on the site, I'm seeing a lot of people running the AICS or similar "chassis" systems, and then in different threads I'm seeing people running McMillan style bench rest and tactical stocks.

Which is better? Why? Why would you want an AR style stock on a 1000 yard rifle? Do you need a folding stock, what for? is this something based in ease of use and portability? Does the complete lack of anything around the barrel on some systems noticeably improve cooling and accuracy over a traditional free-floated barrel? which s more cost efficient, is there a difference in longevity?

Last but not least: can you get an AICS set up for a LH action? Would it be a lot of work to port one out for the safety and the bolt handle? otherwise, does anyone make something similar to the AICS for LH shooters?

If this has already been addressed, can someone get me a link?

Thanks!

Re: AICS vs MCM A5

You need to get behind both. Totally different ergonomics. No one person is going to be able to tell you which one fits best. That aside, neither is going to outshine the other in any other category except possibly weight. The AICS is heavy.

Josh

I have both the AICS and the A5. They are night and day. I have several A5's, so they seem to work better for me. That said, the AICS is great shooting prone. As said before, the AICS is heavy. All are left hand, so yes you can set one up LH.

I have run an AICS, a mcree, an a5-3 and an a-5.

My impression is the aics is built like a tank , usually is a drop in fit so no bedding is required and is easily adjustable for lop and cheek height.

*if you are not running a stock Remington action and barrel lug, or are using an aftermarket trigger(like a Jewell), the aics will need to be opened up in a couple spots.

The McMillan A-5 and A-3/5 fit me well are very durable, and depending on the fill can be much lighter. I give a slight nod to the A-5 because I like the oversized for end for shooting off of a pack or rest, it gives you a little more stability. However the a-3/5 for some reason is a little more comfortable for me to get behind. I also like how low in the stock the action fits on an a-5. The only downside is it must be bedded to your specific action. If I had to carry a rifle very far the McMillan is my preference. I would also opt for the adjustable lop and thumbwheel cheek riser on the McMillan.

The mcree stock is a drop in and did not seem to need any mods to take aftermarket lugs or triggers like the AICS did. It was very well made and had the folding option. The Mcree can be setup many different ways because it is a modular system(different for ends, butt stocks etc.) the deal killer for me was how high profile the action sits in the stock. I have not tried an XLR chassis, but if I decide to do another chassis it would get the nod right now.

As far as a folding stocks, my reason for using them is they take up less space ( you can fit a folder in shorter case 36" compared to 50"). In addition on the AICS it is much easier to clean the rifle with the stock folded out of your way( otherwise you would have to remove the cheek piece and that invites disaster!)

In the end it is a personal choice and the best thing you could to try as many as you can in the conditions you will be using them in. I doubt it would take long to get used to any of the stocks out there, but if they do not have all the features you need (or think you need!) you are wasting time and money. This is my two cents, ymmv!!!

I'm not sure which is technically "better" but I like the ergonomics of the A5 much better. Having said that I'd like to own an AI rifle with the 2.0 version of the AICS stock.

I know they weren't mentioned, but I love my Manners T5 with the Badger mini chassis.(no bedding needed) My 2 cents

As said you need to get behind both. I have allot of love for the AICS but have a rather large thumb/hand cross section and the thumb-hole isn't that comfortable for me. They have a new version coming out that looks like ass but if it works as well as the original design it should be GTG. The McM stock alone is a bit cheaper than the AICS but if your going for DBM it turns out to be a bit more expensive in that respect. See if someone is near you or if you see one at the range ask. I dont mind people checking out my gear cause I know especially with stocks people can barely afford to buy one much less both for the most part. Some people might get offended or upset if you ask to check out thier stock but I havent met one yet around this arena that would. When I would shoot at another range that had lots of fudd hunters some of those guys would act like you asked to finger thier wives.

in short, try to find someone local who has one and see if they will let you touch it. The McM A series are nice but not for everyone. The AICS is the same

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30/50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know they weren't mentioned, but I love my Manners T5 with the Badger mini chassis.(no bedding needed) My 2 cents</div></div>

Manners(any stock of your choosing) and their mini chassis is the best combo to go against a AICS as they both are bolt in with no bedding needed and also take AICS mags in their DBMs.

As to AICS vs Anything as mentioned you have to get behind them and feel if they work for you. I personally don't like AICS stocks or any thumbhole/AR grip style stock. They don't feel comfortable to me and I can work the bolt faster with a standard style stock. The Manners T3 is my favorite personally.

These stock to stock comparisons are stupid. Whether you're talking AICS, McRees, Manners, McMillan, they're all great quality. The rest comes down to how does it FEEL to YOU PERSONALLY. That is the ONLY factor that should come into play. For me, I hate the McMillan A5 and it has ZERO to do with it being a "McMillan" stock. It just doesn't fit me well. The grip is too small the and I don't care for it.

Now I have friends who shoot the A5 and they love it. That's great.

So you have to finger and mess with a stock to get a feel for it. Stocks are a huge investment and you should make the effort to get it right the first time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These stock to stock comparisons are stupid. Whether you're talking AICS, McRees, Manners, McMillan, they're all great quality. The rest comes down to how does it FEEL to YOU PERSONALLY. That is the ONLY factor that should come into play. For me, I hate the McMillan A5 and it has ZERO to do with it being a "McMillan" stock. It just doesn't fit me well. The grip is too small the and I don't care for it.

Now I have friends who shoot the A5 and they love it. That's great.

So you have to finger and mess with a stock to get a feel for it. Stocks are a huge investment and you should make the effort to get it right the first time. </div></div>

This wasn't meant as a specific stock to stock comparison, I was just using those to as an example for comparison between traditional stocks and chassis systems which are quite different, I didn't mean to say that I was specifically looking at a McMillan stock, just a synthetic bench style stock. And not an AICS but any chassis system. And I'm asking because I have not seen nevertheless touched anything that said AI or had any sort of chassis system on it and noone at any range I have ever been to has them, so I'd basically have to buy one just to see it with my own eyes.

Caeli, I love your sig. Try to find someone with either/both and see what you think. I love my A5 but I also love some of the others. I think my next one will either be a KMW sentinal or a manners thumbhole (t-5 I think) They are all good stocks. good luck

I have to agree with others who have said that this is somewhat pointless...

I will say though that having a chassis system (I own an AICS) i enjoy the no bedding, direct drop in setup over having to have a custom bed. As for fit and feel, obviously those need to come from you. If you are looking to pick one up head out to a local FTR shoot and ask around. Its enough money that you should try one out before you buy.

One more point. My wrist is sensitive (I dont think its arthritis but i strain it easily) and I use the AICS because the thumbhole grip gives me better purchase and an easier to tolerate grip angle. Hope that helps.

- Lafa

AICS is a cheaper easy way to get DBM versus a A5, I had a AICS and shot 20 rounds and sold it, I bought a A5 and Badger M5 bottom metal and still have it today.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Like many have already said, it just comes down to personal preference. I love the AICS, and my dad and buddy think it is really uncomfortable...lol

I have my preferences towards the AICS, but that is just because i have had more experience with them. They all have features that you will find you like or dislike if you spend enough time behind them. There is no one perfect stock but if you can get one as close to perfect FOR YOU as you can, that's all you need. Then its just practice and getting to know your equipment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AICS is a cheaper easy way to get DBM versus a A5</div></div>

But now you have the best of both worlds in the Manners stocks with the Mini Chassis system. No bedding needed, bolt in system with DBM and about the same price as the AICS but with better stock style options.

I jumped into a GAP in AICS 1.5, shot a few hundred rounds and figured what I did/didn't like about it. For me, it's like most. Thumb hole and ergonomics. Played with an A3-5/A4/A5, decided A5 was best for me and love the stock.

Thanks Guys, I think I've got a pretty good feel for known long term potential advantages/disadvantages (and I'll have to take a look at the Manners line). Now and I'll just have to find one to have a go at and go from there.