• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up All Oregonians check in !

Re: All Oregonians check in !

Not necessarily. This was a cc site and it is public. If you are having issues with what I posted send me some info and I will try and help you get up and running - no matter where you are in OR.

Good luck

1_25_areawideshot.jpg

I have no issues with what you said all good advice. That was my experience in the woods around this area. Any info you could give me on places to do some long range shooting around the Corvallis/ Albany area would be greatly appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shawnjon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no issues with what you said all good advice. That was my experience in the woods around this area. Any info you could give me on places to do some long range shooting around the Corvallis/ Albany area would be greatly appreciated. </div></div>

My shooting partner and I are always looking for some other folks to shoot with. We always thought it would be more fun. We have a place outside Lorane where apperently other long range shooters shoot. They may be members here???? I know that we can set and shoot out beyond 1 mile. Very good spots for 850, 1000, 1400, and 1600. We will be working on a flat 1 mile @ this location when the weather breaks. We will be cutting into the bank a little to make a flat shooting platform. Anyone interested let me know. There are also spots to shoot 100, 300, 500, and 650. All shooting spots are within a couple minutes of each other...Oh yeah Veneta checking in.

Im from Salem! (Currently stuck in NJ though, going to grad school)

Will be back in Oregon this summer, really hoping to get into long range shooting! Trying to learn everything I can right now, and really looking forward to shooting this summer

YA.... LOL, there are a few others who know & been shooting @ that spot too down there on that Lorane area .

I am interested in checking out the Lorain spot. I have been shooting up Simonsen rd., just north of Lorain. Should I bring a steel target or three?

Burns
Plenty of public land to shoot as far as you want when the snows not too deep, the roads arent to muddy,and the wind isn't screaming.So you have about 3 days a year plan accordingly

You are welcome to bring your steel. The targets that are out there are very durable. My shooting partner and I usually bring 3 or 4. Alot of times it depends on how far we are shooting or if we are shooting multiple distances. I am not sure why they left there steel set up on public land but it was damn nice of them. I just hope some jerkoff doesn't steal it. I like not having to set up a bunch of targets each time. How far do you normally like to shoot? I know where Simonson Rd. is... only about 15 min from my house. I used to shoot at a old gravel storage area up there about 10 years ago. At this location I just like all the different ranges that we can shoot. You have to change shooting locations for some of them but they are all very close. On one side of the road is 100 to 500... spot 2 is 650.. spot 3 is 850 and 1000 with our steel or various distances with the other steel. spot 4 is 1375 and 1525... spot 5 is 1600 and 1700

It would be fun to get a few of us together and do a little competitive shooting out at this location. In my opinion in can only make us all better shooters. Maybe we could learn something from each other. Or even make some new friends.

Here's one more for southern Oregon. Looking to get my first sniper rifle in the next month or two. Anyone in Medford, Gantspass or, Cave Junction want to do any shooting? (and yes I can by my owe bullets, I don't "barrow" bullets)

Well, key words there are: "when the weather breaks". Yesterday, the weather broke powerlines, windows, trees, & God knows what else. I just pulled a 36hr shift getting the power back on & cleaning up mayhem. Double time usually precipitates a new custom rifle project, perhaps a Rock barreled .338 ultra mag, & loading components.
In any case, I work in Veneta a lot, for the last 10 years trimming trees around the powerlines, you must have seen my crew at some point.
I have just gotten comfortable with 900yds, and am developing a 1500yd load for the 300WM if I can get it to group. 950 is my longest shot to date, and want to play around at 1000-1100 next. I guess from here I should PM you if the weather starts to clear up.
Matt

Checking in from Prospect Orygun. Headed to the desert next week to blow up some bunnies with the .50 BMG.

Well my wife goes about 1/2 the time. As far as I am concerned they are welcome as long as they participate or at the least behave themselves.:)

Portland here, live on the west side. Seek to find a close spot to go long with good backstop. Want to find a place to shoot around Portland 1000 yards and more. Douglas Ridge on Thursday nights is the only public place I know of close by that does shoots to 1000y. Am looking for a place within 30 minutes or so out from say North Plains on Highway 26.

ABOUT ME:

Am a country boy farmer who has always shot guns while enjoying the outdoors with others. Want to always do more while we still can before old, and getting outside helps me keep strong even if not shooting as moving around instead of sitting is good. Very interested in custom guns for a mile or more, but happy to punch paper at normal ranges. Shooting accurately anything helps me relax, remember to breath, causes me to always be learning new things to be better than was last time, and makes me clear my mind.

OREGON CONCERNS:

Coyote populations are getting too thick so take out when able. They effect wildlife populations so do not like. Go out of my way to get some in the last few years. Hear of more cougar sighting now than ever since they stopped hunting them with hound dogs population is increasing - a local family has a cougar too close to their house in the woods this last year. And cougar sightings are more common all over. Also is more bear around. Not as many deer, elk, duck, birds, or fish as recall when young. Something has been kicking mother earth in the teeth for the decades I've lived.

DREAM SHOOTING TRIP (s):

Go after Red Stag in Argentina as they also have Peacock Bass (not to mention the hot night life, strange to me latino hours, and inexpensive local beef - working to speak better Spanish). Hope to someday get an Alaska Moose. Would like to hunt monster elk in key other states who have the biggest (Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, Idaho, Canada, ... ?). Like to hunt mule deer nearly anywhere they get big and would like to eat a monster.

OREGON GUN PLACES WHERE YOU MAY SEE ME:

On a weekend if at a shooting club am most often at Douglas Ridge who shoots out to 1000y Thursday nights:
http://www.douglasridge.org/

Also shoot at Tri County gun club who shoots out to 600y on Tuesday nights:
http://www.tcgc.org/

Verboort Gun Club. Shoot trap sometimes with the locals who I grew up with in the winter months.

Have access to private property in many places to shoot rifles long distance we could probably never open to the public without a serious plan, and know of a few good places around in the woods where often just us because we made 'the range'. Weld and can make metal targets from scrap. My dream is that we can work together to find / create / make a few more awesome places in recent clear-cuts in the hills close to towns to better practice long range shooting up to a mile and more. Around Portland a good place to practice at distances over 1000 yards is hard to find, but can still be done if are creative about it.

WHERE AND WHAT I HUNT IN OREGON:

Farmers fields when they have a problem. Often out in the woods more for the walk on or around family or friends lands. Hunt mule deer Whitehorse / Alvord / Steens Ranges out of Burns, Elk mostly around the Blues Range, and most often western coastal range elk as like to eat Roosevelt. Grew up hunting waterfowl and all kinds of birds and critters for farmers who did not like them. Hate mice in barns or gophers in the garden. Have not hunted much since draw and party planning became so much a part of it. Grew up hunting in years when hungry with others who were too. I guess will have to plan and get my tag info in before 5/15 some year like everyone else to go back to some places.

In the back yard and nearby field often plink cans (and mice, gophers, and moles when moving) with an air rifle just to make sure still got it. Hate it when see the record Muley in his bed and can not take him out then when put a group hunt on, as always slips through in a country without trees where just walking on the rocks make noise - do not get it. This is the story of my mule deer hunting as spot then could not get within my 500yd 30-06 self imposed maximum range. Swear they big mule deer are ghosts while got close to 'the Hartford' for a few years - thank you Andersch brothers for getting me East while realize you moved on hunting other states for wall hangers now.

GUN STORES I FREQUENT:

Bi-Mart. We watch them closely for reloading supplies and most of my guns seem to like Federal Blue Box best when not reloading.

My favorite local-feeling gun store is Al's in Verboort (even if Marcus still doesn't think he needs me to help him make a real webpage for free as is what I do even though have offered several times. Al's moves lots of used guns around and confident could help him sell more with a better online presence. Last week Marcus told me he has a webpage now, but still can not Google it so not sure what he is talking about - and hope Al's does have one as has needed many years now since before Marcus bought it):
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?h...un&hnear=Portland,+OR&cid=4257950841500506716

The pawn shop where have got the most good guns through the years is H&B Loan downtown where my grandma bought most of her guns, and I've traded or bought many of mine from Sean at:
http://www.hbloan.com/

I BRAKE FOR:

The Adel store has the best collection of Mule Deer racks I've ever seen on one place. Hart Mountain, known for monsters is nearby. Can spend hours looking at them, but never have enough time as always going through. There were great racks there, and hope still are. It is in the middle of no where in Adel, OR. Does anyone know of any nice elk rack or deer rack collections around as gets my heart pounding and mouth watering just to look at them?

Have a soft spot for Del Taco right now as devour several packets of their Inferno sauce on any item and as a single lazy guy can get lemon in my ice water and a nice meal for very few dollars. Free shake on my Birthday to cut the Inferno sauce as part of their e-mail club, 49 cent soft tacos, two for one deals, and two taco nights a week beginning with the letter 'T' (and do websites like this with animation so kinda cool to use if nothing else compared to some):
http://www.deltaco.com/

FAVORITE GUN WEBSITES:

Here of course and also on LRH.

FAVORITE LOCAL EATS (made myself hungry talking about Del Taco):

IMHO the best hamburger in town is the Lighthouse burger in Linton. They also have awesome huge cheap bowls of home made soup - the cups are so be sure to get the bowl.

Sayler's Country Kitchen. I have 24oz top sirloin or a Porterhouse with a wimpy stringy pile of greasy onion rings with way too much smoky tasting chive sour cream. Eat way too much steak sauce and garlic butter on nearly everything when go here:
http://www.saylers.com/index-in.htm

Ringside Uptown. Get onion rings as some of the best and house salad with the Ringside's own dressing including extra blue cheese on top with whatever seems good usually steak):
http://www.ringsidesteakhouse.com/

London Grill in the Basement of the Benson Hotel downtown. Parking is under it. Grandma's favorite fancy place with table-side service of Caesar Salad to Steak Diane to Bananas Foster so get them all with French Onion Soup. High end expensive so a treat place. Seating places are marked with matchbooks engraved in gold with the last name of who made reservations so be sure to spell your name right to have them for later, your date will get a red rose from the server when you sit down and your date will not have prices on the menu to choose what they want to eat without price being a factor. The flaming pepper steak (Steak Diane) prepared table side tastes awesome and is truly is something that tastes great to remember at:
http://www.bensonhotel.com/Dining/tabid/59/Default.aspx

Nonna Emilia. I get a large pizza to go and extra extra sauce paying for it twice to be sure they make mine juicy as often live alone so left overs when can not eat it still are juicy a day or two later otherwise will get dry - love the lunch buffet on Tues - Fri especially Fridays with all you can eat Lasagna / pizza / and love their red french dressing drenching my salad:
http://nonnaemilia.com/

Mad Greek Deli. Pando's Place has some of the best deli sandwiches, burgers, Greek food, fries, gyros, deserts, music, ... I usually get a Mad American with extra mayo olives and peppers on top with Greek fries with an omega sauce. Inexpensive and better than Subway to me:
http://www.madgreekdeli.com/home.html

Got Pho? Often get the large clean dead place to yourself and even has an outside porch. Great inexpensive food just off I-84 near in Hollywood district. Favorite is: R25 charbroiled pork over veggies w/Vermicelli noodles and A3 charbroiled pork spring rolls with peanut dipping sauce or sometimes instead of A3 get S01 which is a charbroiled pork Asian sandwich with awesome bread. Do not forget the tray at the table with all the sauces in squirt bottles some spicy. Ask for the extra hot good tasting smokey Viet home made chili sauce from the back as is served by request only to those who like spicy foods. Get R23 if not so hungry and costs less by combining the appetizer and meal into one:
http://www.gotphoonline.com/

Stone Cliff Inn. I eat the Cherry Smoked Ribs with bowl of Smoked Salmon Chowder as it is hard to get me away from my favorite ribs anywhere even if messy to eat - like the deck outside in the summer and private upstairs for larger groups. Sometimes they have special big steaks, if you ask that may not be on the menu but are yummy to eat. I remember they had elk on the menu when they open and have even had bison here. But usually eat cherry smoked messy awesome ribs at:
http://www.stonecliffinn.com/

My favorite ribs before eating the local Stone Cliff version were those at Montgomery Inn in Ohio:
http://www.montgomeryinn.com/

OREGON WILDLIFE & OUTDOOR HISTORY:

My grandfather throughout retirement had a long bitter battle with some damn beavers and the dams they make. He said because they back up water helping bad people who wrongly flood land keep it flooded saying it was always that way. There is more to that story and some of them include explosives and politics. With very few beaver deaths. In fact, the beavers are still there. The forest of old trees and acres of moss that used to be upstream are standing rotten after living 100s of years. Gone are the salmon, ducks, crawfish, fish, ... - grandpa was right the open water is better for wildlife than damn dams have been in many situations.

WHAT I CAN OFFER:

Time. If anyone is into pronghorn antelope have a good idea where they live as see when going after deer. I fabricate / weld - can make targets of any kind you desire. Build experimental aircraft, custom racing parts, and things like injection molds so have access to precision machining equipment. Skilled with fiberglass, metals, wood, glass, plastics, motors, and electronics. Do CAD, simulation, animation, and automation design work. Good with audio and video solutions, have a video editing suite. Helped do the sound system for the Hillsboro Air show for a while, yes Tim your backup home stereo rocked it for a few years before the upgrade. Cut firewood and do yard maintenance for exercise as is like getting paid to go to the health club so have all the equipment, 4x4 pickup, trailers, chain saws, mower, 7hp wheeled brush hog, cables, ... also run equipment, log, and develop land if you need to get something split or cleared for a view to make money. Have set up and catered large corporate events, celebrations and parties - sometimes with local attendees and other times for guests from around the globe.

We garden and make hot pickles: cucumbers, green beans, beets, etc. <span style="color: #009900">(sold out until 2011 pickling season, taking pre-season orders now).</span> Also make hot dry spices from fresh ingredients as well as numerous sauces, dips, and dressings. Make salsa year round to order - must stay refrigerated. The food hobby is called Smaking Supply and can send you a <span style="color: #009900">FREE</span> care pack if you or someone you know likes spicy or saucy foods.

Computer skills and global business knowledge from working with the biggest and best. Am an electrical engineer who has worked in Sales & Marketing of business technology solutions his whole life: chips, boards, systems, networks, and software. Spent about 10 years at Intel in their growth years when first out of college. To help business bottom lines now do website design, graphic arts, and online advertizing. Can bring in qualified prospects for any business predicting ROI before I begin. <span style="color: #009900">For example, write / direct / shoot / edit / produce corporate videos then make websites that efficiently distribute information to spread the word then take orders with minimal people involvement - then get it on Google and other search engines to bring in crowds for any business as what good is eye candy with a great pitch about a needed solution if no one sees it? Use VoIP to bring them in and SOA to formalize the transaction for both sides. Can reach millions overnight with the right video take their order and ship it if in stock without phones ringing with logistics automation. Businesses can focus on what they are good at, often producing a unique product or provide a service with limited time to fill orders.</span>

I am about 12 miles S. of Hood River and shoot in my back yard, so to speak. Anybody interested in a 500 yd. and 1000yd should leave a message here. The land is public and has good roads. I can't say the "range" is great , but for me any place closer than Bend is good.The land is open about 6mo. per yr.and lightly used except during deer and elk seasons.It openedtoday and tomorrow I'm gonna sight in my HS HTR 338LM (new) and maybe shoot down some obstacles to the 1k target.

Softcock makes great gear or those of you who aren't familiar with his ability to sew up absoutely fantastic custom gear. Nice fellow too...

Tri-County Gun club will be hosting a 600 yard introductory clinic next saturday. Contact Pete B. through Tri-county's web site for more information. When I spoke with Pete at last Saturday's practical rifle match, he said he thinks it may be full, but he may put a few people on "reserve" for no shows.

The response has been far bigger than he anticipated, so another one may be in the works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRS_Ranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Checkin' in from Molalla! The Tri-County match was today, and as my first long range match I really enjoyed it.. Learned a bit, and I would encourage any shooters in the area to come out next time. Good people and very professional range staff... </div></div>

I know this is a very delayed response but we are dang near neighbors. I was also at that match and managed to get out shot by one person again for another 2nd place finish. That is two 2nd place finishes in a row for the TCGC Sniper Match for me. I was also helping RO a while, did the egg stage for most the day.

I live in Beaverton, OR on the westside of Portland. I'm looking for some help in getting started in long range shooting. I'm a member at tri county if anyone wants to meet up.

Man, I have never seen this thread before! Hey everyone, only been in Oregon for about 6 months now, moved here from California. Miss Cali, but not it's gun laws!

I'm located in Bend, I see there is a few Bend-ers in here too, and have yet to go out and get some shooting in, both my rifles are still in Cali, but should (hopefully) be coming up here to me by the end of the month. Anyone want to get together just let me know I'd love to meet some fellow hide members/shooters, perhaps they could teach me a thing or two as well (I'm very novice at long range and have never even shot a pistol before, I got some experience with a semi-auto rifle though). I only currently have a old S&W that shoots 32 S&W short and my wife has a Bersa .380 (which still hasn't had a round through it). Take care everyone.

Family has a ranch in Prineville and another piece of land just outside of John Day. Wish I had more time to get up there and shoot. Might just have to move up there sooner than I figured

Parka, both those areas are prime shooting if you have access to the right land. Used to shoot at another spot over by Izee ( between Prineville and John Day) and friends have places outside of Dayville and others at Ironside and Fossil with lots of land to shoot on...problem is getting time to go, even if you live here.

Corvallis.

I'm a member at ARPC, and the back side is open periodically out to ~500 yds. Not exactly long range, but not bad for the valley.

Elks have a range west of Philomath that goes to 600. Lots of people pay the $60 (or whatever it is) annual to be an Elk and have full (and free) use of the range.

Or I drive over the mountains to the east...

Indie,

our Prineville place is 900 acres and the John Day place is 640 acres which is connected to another 8000 acres(approx) that is owned by close friends. At the cabin on the John Day place the guy who used to live up there (now passed away) had set targets out to 700yds and it was flat thanks to the 5ft high deck. Man I hate working so much.LOL

I'm already committed for another precision match on the weekend of the 10-11th. I don't want to push my luck on the home front, so it looks like I'll miss this one.

Hi Guys. Kind of new to Sniper hide. Getting back into long range shooting. Over in the Silverton-Scotts Mills area. Just wanted to say HI.

I'm not from OR but I am looking for matches in the northern part of your state. Who do I need to talk to?

eugene here! to all the marines out their "SEMPER FI" anyone going to the gun show check out where else firearms john seems to be a real nice guy to work with he can order prety much anything.

North Bend here. Just getting into it.

I'm in Portland on the west side. I'm a member at tri county gun club and shoot out there almost weekly. I have yet to shoot the 600 yard there but did soot in a "sniper comp" there and had a blast.

I don't know how many people in Oregon reload but I wanted to do a big bulk order of powders and primers from powder valley and if a bunch of us got in on it we could split the shipping and hazmat fee. I'm a outside rep for a Portland based company so I drive all over the state so I could deliver the powder to people (within reason). Let me know if anyone is interested and we could talk about it.

La Grande, check in.

Don't know how I have missed this thread. If anyone is interested I'm heading for Vale, OR (snake river sportsman club)on Saturday morning for the 600 yard benchrest shoot. Sign up and draw bench #'s at 9:00 and start shooting at 10:00. Don't have to shoot a bench gun to go. I shoot my tac rifle. ($10 fee). It is fun! Bunch of nice guy's (except for a few bench snobs) getting together to fling bullet's.

Also getting ready to start the winter 1000 yard shoot's in Baker City at the powder river sportsman club. No date's yet.

Good to see some Oregonians coming together on here! Would be great to get together somewhere. I will be in Bend for a week in the middle of June maybe someone can give me a heads up on a place to do some shooting or a comp going on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadnbrkn84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in Portland on the west side. I'm a member at tri county gun club and shoot out there almost weekly. I have yet to shoot the 600 yard there but did soot in a "sniper comp" there and had a blast.

I don't know how many people in Oregon reload but I wanted to do a big bulk order of powders and primers from powder valley and if a bunch of us got in on it we could split the shipping and hazmat fee. I'm a outside rep for a Portland based company so I drive all over the state so I could deliver the powder to people (within reason). Let me know if anyone is interested and we could talk about it. </div></div>
pM me your contact info-I shoot at TcGC as well and live in Beaverton. There are a few folks in the area for decent group buys.

prineville oregon checking in. lots of info on snipers hide, thats why i started linguring over here.

Firefox Alpha2 & USMCscout, welcome to the Hide, Eugene Chapter. Also, shout out to a Hide member, name unknown, but whose little brother, Nathan, was up Simonsen road yesterday, (Xmas eve) and shared a landing with us while we busted clays at 300yds with our carbines. He was trying to hit a paper target at 975yds with a .204, to little effect. The steel I hung at that same range was still clean until I walked in the 4th or 5th shot. After I got 5mph wind dialed, I let Nathan and his buddy, Derek, lob a few shots out there. Nathan Smacked the four inch orange paint in the center of the steel on the second shot. Peckerhead outshot me with my own rifle! If you guys read this, See you up there on the next sunny day, or July, whichever comes first. And bring your new toys!!!

I am from Monmouth, and originally from Newberg. I use this site involving my two precision rifles (one in .308 and the other in .338 Lapua). I am currently looking for a range or a legal place I can shoot beyond 1000 yards and hopefully well beyond 1000 yards on the west side of the state. I do frequent the east side to hunt and fish so, if you know of some good locations please PM me!

Semper Fi

Does anyone know for which date the winter precision rifle match at tri-county is scheduled? It is usually in February...

Near westside of PDX. Group buys on this site, saved me some money. But are killing me at the same time,,,,
crazy.gif

Lot's of good info on this site,,,
smile.gif

OR Shooters. I host the Steel Challenge in Kettle Falls, WA to which some of you on here attend. I am looking into putting on another shoot at the end of June / beginning of July weekend. This shoot will be shoot move and communicate. It will be a two day one night event that will include land navigation to targets (GPS Allowed) observation of target areas and a coordinated engagement of targets at BMNT on the second day of the shoot.

If interested let me know.

Thank you.

Salem checking in here. Took me a long time to see this. TOO MUCH INFO on this site to get through fast.