• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up All Oregonians check in !

Re: All Oregonians check in !

Brady, the COSSA range is fantastic. I have sent thousands and thousands downrange there.

If you are interested, I host multigun matches down in Klamth. This year we will be holding a precision rifle match in July, and a precision rifle series starting in October, ending in January.

Take care!

Wally

I am relocating to Bend for work at the end of the month. I got spoiled living in Washington with all the local field matches. If there are any local or state Practical/Tac rifle matches let me know.

ogreshooter PM sent.

Hi everyone,
Have been a hide member for a few months now but pretty much new to rifle shooting. Moved up here (Hillsboro area) several years ago. Have been learning a lot from SH (was able to build my first budget rifle thanks to lots tips and hardware from very helpful hide members). Have plans to join one of the clubs close by but still can't decide whether to go Tri-county or Douglas Ridge.

TCGC has many more programs than Douglas ridge. However, if your primary interest ia 1000 yard high power, go with DRRC. TCGC has practical rifle, 2 precision rifle matches per year, and lots of 600 yard shooting. During summer, they do 600 yard shooting weekly, and shoot at night under lights in winter 2x per month at TCGC. Great people too.

I am in Salem...just really getting into serious long range and general marksmenship, and would love to find a shooting event or other people with a similar interest.

I will in Douglas County area in the first week of May for Spring Bear if anyone wants to shoot some rifles. Have a good spot out too 1008 yards.

Hey all!! Recently transplanted to Roseburg from Tacoma, Wa.

Have been to the Roseburg Rod and Gun Club a few times and it's a nice place to do the weekly live-fire. Have also been out scouting for places to hunt/shoot in the Umpqua NF (the wife calls it hiking) several times, but the snow level is still around 3175' as of this weekend.

Please PM if you know of a nice spot in Douglas Coun to drink coffee and spend a lazy morning glassing hillsides and ringing steel at distance (preferrably over 500 yds).

Thanks all,
BBB

Hey guys,

I figured I'd throw up a post in here. I'm currently living in Billings, MT right now, but will be permanently transferring to my company's Portland office in August to get closer to family. I'd love to meet up with some of you guys when I get out there and do some shooting. I'm a little nervous about the culture shock that I'm going to be in for, but I figure if I can meet some guys who are as into shooting as I am, it will help ease the transition!

BTW, If any of you Portland guys have advice on the city, shoot me a PM! I'm all ears!

Jake

Diggerline59----I suppose you got some great family to make such a shitty trade of place as that. Only advice,e I got is live, laugh,love,and do the living out of town.

Portland has more than its share of libtards, nut cases, and hippie types, but it also has some great restaurants, bakeries, places and things to see and do. You have to learn to ignore or push aside the weirdos though. I miss some of the food at Kell's, Huber's and a few other spots.

Last edited:
Not from Oregon, am in Washington but on the border. Up the Gorge from Portland, across from Hood River.

I might actually be back in time for that. I am over in the sandbox right now. I tend to hit a school or two when home but mostly stay in the Bend area. COSSA is still my favorite spot to shoot. I try and avoid going on weekends though.

Last edited:
Portland here love to hunt and shoot, DRRC member, just did my first rebarrel on a savage put on a LW .243 barrel can't wait to get it out and see what it will do.

Okay, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I figured since you're all from OR you might be able to steer me in the right direction:

I'm a midshipman at Kings Point and I have a 4-6 week shipyard internship requirement. I'm going to call Vigor in Portland but they don't provide housing or transportation for interns. Do any of you Portland folks know of inexpensive temporary housing nearby, or do you know anyone who is trying to rent out an empty room at home? I just want to be sure I have a good idea of the housing situation before I commit to Vigor. Thanks!

Dalton

TCGC has many more programs than Douglas ridge. However, if your primary interest ia 1000 yard high power, go with DRRC. TCGC has practical rifle, 2 precision rifle matches per year, and lots of 600 yard shooting. During summer, they do 600 yard shooting weekly, and shoot at night under lights in winter 2x per month at TCGC. Great people too.

Man, just noticed TCGC is full for the year. Just when the wife had given me permission to sign in. I'll have to time the trip time to DRRC from my house to see if it'll work.

Calling all the Oregon shooters a worthy match to attend.

2013 SGT Matt Karstetter (USMC) Memorial Field Match- Wilbur WA 6/15

Guys, if you want to get out and shoot this is for a worthy cause, I don't think there's going to be a better introduction to the sport than this match, plus there's probably going to be a pretty little prize table.
So if you haven't signed up, here's the link
http://isgroup.mycustomevent.com/ShoppingCar

Recently received email with regards to the match.
For those of you who knew Matt, you know that the world lost a brother, friend, shooter, and Marine. As a man who truly loved this sport, this match is held in his honor and the proceeds will be donated to the scholarship fund of his 13 year old step-daughter and 4 month old son that he left behind.
Dry camping is available the night previous and the night of the match. Following the match, shooters are encouraged to stick around and enjoy a smoked tri-tip dinner. Spectators are encouraged to attend and enjoy the after-match camaraderie.
This match is being hosted on private property and everyone is EXPECTED to police after him or herself, respect the property, and act responsibly.
This match will provide a wide variety of stages with a varying degree of difficulty. Shooters are STRONGLY encouraged to bring analog forms of data to include a mechanical compass and be prepared for all weather conditions. Expect to see stages such as: UKD, positional, high angle, movers, and so on. All shooters will be required to pack the gear they intend to use for the day. After the safety briefing and opening stage, shooters will not be allowed to return for additional equipment.
Match Location / Date.
The match is scheduled for June 15th, 2013. Specific locations for the match will be given to the attending shooters once they have registered and are confirmed. This is done to eliminate any on-lookers that may cause unnecessary distractions. Directions will be sent to each competitors email address once the registration forms have been received. If you cannot attend this event please feel free to foward the mail message along to others in our community.
Match Fee’s.
The Match fees will be $150.00 USD per shooter. Included in this price is a post-match barbecue and T-shirt.

I'm in Hillsboro, Just getting started in the long range game. I've been lurking here posting photos for a while but not posting much.

Brady625-
i'm also a cossa member, maybe we've crossed paths. we have been shooting a 1000yd tactical style friendly match the last 2 month's where have you been? I'll be out early in the morning to dead zero my 338edge and take her out to some distant steel.

Brady625-
i'm also a cossa member, maybe we've crossed paths. we have been shooting a 1000yd tactical style friendly match the last 2 month's where have you been? I'll be out early in the morning to dead zero my 338edge and take her out to some distant steel.

I'm overseas right now. I think I'll be back in August. I plan on heading out there at least 3 to 4 times a week. I'm also about to order some targets from Big Dog steal. I am currently running a custom Remington 700 in 308 with a NF 3.5-15 x 50 F1 NXS. I can't wait to get back!

Looking for a place in SW Oregon to reach out a bit. Have found a few places in the Umpqua NF to shoot across draws between ridges, but nothing special. Always have to be sure not to shoot across FS roads out of sight down below.

Has anybody been to the JCSA range in Grants Pass? If so, would you go back? Is it a nice enough place to justify driving for an hour just to get there? Personable RSO's?

Are there near the sand dunes north of Coos bay area? When I was a kid, we would go out to the dunes to play, but I don't know if shooting is allowed or not. If you want places around Fields, French Glenn, or other areas in south EAST oregon I can give you all sorts of places. I can even tell you about hot springs and fishing holes.

Actually, I'm thinking about organizing some PR Matches similar to those that we kicked off at UNSC, in Eatonville. With one logistical difference: From what I've seen (with only a few exceptions), shooters in southern Oregon are a bit different that Puget Sound area barrel-burners: less focused on round count for the day, more concerned with hitting the target. They'd rather get 1shot/target with 10 stages vs. 10shots/target with 5 stages.

So to host an organized shoot, I'm trying to keep it held at established ranges, where we don't have to worry about hikers, mountain bikers, and ODFW poking in and holding things up while they "check us out and run our serial #s to make sure everything is legit."

Benny,
I'm not sure which matches at Eatonville you are referring to. The matches we are now running at UNSC put a premium on hits over shots fired. We usually limit the number of rounds, and time. Hits always win over someone who shoots fast, but didn't get as many hits. Someone with 1 hits in 120 seconds will always come out ahead of someone with 9 hits in 60 seconds at the matches we are running now. Most stages have 10-12 targets to hit.

The UNSC matches we are doing now, are sort of a cross between what TCGC runs as practical rifle, and their precision rifle matches. Most of the shooters at UNSC run precision rifles; the type where they don't want to wreck a barrel by pounding out 30 rounds as fast as they can. Most of our stages are limited to 10-15 rounds. Most of the rifles are things like 308, 6.5x47, 260 Rem, 6mm XC, and similar precision types of rigs. Bolt guns are the most prevalent. So far, I'm the only guy who tried to shoot a match with my AR15 and an ACOG on it. The rifle simply didn't have the magnification necessary to do worth a darn, and at 550 yards, my 69 grain bullets barely made enough impact on the steel for the guy calling shots to tell I hit it.

You might be thinking about the Friday night rifle league's indoor carbine type matches, or the Custer practical rifle matches. Both of those matches use a more fast paced, high round count, and mostly close targets. The stuff at UNSC goes out to 550 yards, and at that distance the target is about 66% the size of an IPSC target. The matches we run now are more similar to the precision rifle matches that TCGC used to have a couple of times a year. We limit rounds, limit time, and often have higher point values for 1st round hits, and if you miss 3 times in a row, you move on and take the penalty. Certainly not barrel burner types of matches. You can see many of the courses of fire posted on the Puget Sound Shooters thread.

I have had to compromise between high round counts, and too low of round counts. Most fellows don't want to attend a match where they either shoot 30 rounds per stage and wreck the barrel, or a match where they only shoot 5-8 rounds per stage. They just aren't keen on spending most of the day to shoot 20-30 rounds of ammo, and I can't blame them. And with the cost of precision rifle ammo running close to $1 per shot, a match taking 40-60 rounds and a $20 entry fee can get spendy.

The matches at UNSC have been changing in response to the shooter's requests for different courses of fire. I think it has to do both with the desire for more precision type matches, cost of ammo, and in general, the type of shooting that the guys up here seem to prefer. Early on, the matches were much like Tri-county's practical rifle matches where AK47's would show up and have alot of fun. The shooters here wanted more of a precision format, so that is the direction we went.

I'm hoping to get a committee of guys who will be a sort of board of directors to decide on courses of fire. If you come back up this way, it would be nice to see you, and maybe come out and give the new format at the matches a try.

Fortunately, we don't have to fight with the BLM police over running numbers on rifles as we are at a private club. I have heard that it is happening at some other places though, and that would discourage me pretty quickly. Of course, my guess is that discouraging shooting is precisely their intent.

Last edited:
anyone in brookings Oregon or crescent city CA area here?

was wondering if anyone in my area has a XLR or manners T4A or mcree i could try out before i buy?

also anyone know a decent gunsmith around these parts that could thread my barrel and do some work on my savage? thanks =)

Hello fellow Oregonians!

Checking in! I am in Douglas County, Myrtle Creek area, I have been a member of the hide for a while but I'm fairly quiet. Glad to see that I am not alone!!

Guess this is as good a first post as +1.

South Salem checking in. I travel and work throughout the state of Alaska from mid March through to somewhere between Tday and Xmas. Shortly after my return and some time in the dungeon to roll some ammo out I'll be out shooting. I shot a little in the late 80's and just getting back into rifle shooting again this past year.

Last edited:
McMinnville Or here, I'm a member of Tri-County and I'm about to join COSSA. I'm looking for a shooting partner to compete with. Any help would be appreciated.

Well, I'm finally moved over and getting settled. Living in the cedar mill area of Beaverton/Portland now. It's been over two months since I've shot anything so I'm starting to get the itch! If anyone is interested in meeting up and doing some shooting, let me know!

New member from Portland metro area.

I'm looking for sniper matches within a 1 day drive of Portland. Something with movers, unknown distance, unconventional shooting, no prone. I am going to the tcgc annual sniper match Feb 8th. I am also signed up for Kettle Falls May 17/18. I am looking for 1 more match before Kettle Falls for practice.

I also like taking training classes. I signed up for Fight Focus Concepts Extreme Night Fighter Las Vegas Mar 22/25. I also signed up for Suarez 0 to 5 feet in Olympia Wa Aug 9/10. I am considering taking Max Velocity combat rifle/combat drill and combat patrol Jun 30 to Jul 4.

Last edited:
It's a bit of a jaunt, but you might consider driving up to Eatonville, WA to the Upper Nisqually Sportsman's Club. They have a practical/tactical match every 1st Saturday of the month. Targets are anywhere from 100-550 yards. It's a lot of fun and great, low-key people. It's meant to be a practice match for those going to bigger tourney's, so atmosphere is relaxed. Entry is $20 and there are usually no prizes, but that's OK. You can shoot your favorite bolt or semi,... no restrictions.

Check it out: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-matches-upper-nisqually-sportsmans-club.html

I'm from the Portland area too. Planning to shoot at the Vantage, Washington Match on Feb 8. Its about a 3 hr drive from downtown portland. Pretty low key too - not a lot of people.

Fellow Oregonians,

Just got this site going. www.revelationarmsllc.com I wanted to get your feedback on the site, yet know I made it myself and I am NOT a computer guy, at all... Still don't know what HTML is or where I put it Anyways, let me know if you need anything. Looking to get an order of XLR's in so please let me know requests.

I come through I-5 Monthly so I can save you all some shipping or what-not and for you Southern Oregon guys I have a few good places to bang steel if your interested.

Thanks,

BGE

Last time I was out thataway, the range out in Keno, Oregon was pleasant. Use your Google-fu to find your way to the Jefferson State Shooters Association rifle range.