• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American Gun Powder

HOGGHEAD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Rivesville, WV
I am getting ready to start reloading for two new 223 rifles. And I have been trying to decide what powder. I have had good success with H-335, but it is a little temp. sensitive on those hot hot summer days. So I thought about switching to BenchMark.

Now for the dilemma. I have been trying to buy only American made products wherever I can. And I thought Hodgdon Powder was mfrd. in the USA. But apparently it is not. I have found out that it is made in a plant in Australia from a company that is named ADI. And ADI powders are available here in the USA. Now for the real kicker, ADI is owned by a French Company. Can you believe that??

So our government is buying ammo with powder from Australia that is owned by the French. So those French bastards are making money form our military budget!! Unbelievable!!

Anyone know of a powder that is made in the USA?? Winchester ball in FL?? Good for the 223??

I have been doing alot of studying of powders, and it is amazing how many powders are exactly the same, and made at one place but put in two or three different containers, and at drastic price point differences.For instance Varget-which is the exact same powder as ADI-AR2208. But look at the price difference?? Thanks, Tom.

Re: American Gun Powder

Hodgdon is not a powder mfg. Never has been from day one. H335 is made in USA. Benchmark is ADI(Australia).......

A bunch of Alliant powders I have say "Made in Sweden" on them. However, although my 1 lb. cans of R-15 say Sweden, my newer 5 lb. jug of R-15 says "proudly made in USA" on it......

My Ramshot say "made in Belgium". I think some of the Western/Accurate powders were/are USA made, but I know some are Czech made......

My IMR cans say Canada on them & my Accurate powder cans say Belgium (I have a 10+ year old one that says Czech on it though). I wouldn't really worry about where it comes from as much as whether or not your rifle likes it.