• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American Rifle Company, $795 Nucleus Gen 1.1 and Gen 2.0 Bolt Actions

I don't think a thumbs up from me is enough to voice my support for this level of engagement. So Kudo's to Ted/ARC! I am looking forward to my Nucleus 2.0. I also think it makes great sense to create as many common parts as possible especially given the info provided by Ted above that they are very similar to begin with.
Thanks. I wish I could do more of this. Both I and ARC have been criticized in the past for our lack of customer service. The criticism was certainly well placed. Looking back, ARC took on too much too fast. A single action is difficult enough to produce. I somehow ended up with three actions and still have more in mind. Managing this was EXTREMELY expensive for a small, self-funded company like ARC. We got to the point where this just had to stop. Nucleus 2.0 was a step in that direction and a good one at that. Part commonality reduced our work load while enhancing the functionality of the Nucleus without functionally compromising either the Mausingfield or the Archimedes.

So, for 2020, it's steady as she goes. Let's get better at what we do and get to know our customers a bit more. It just takes time.

Ted

Well, please don't come out with the version 2 Archimedes just yet. I'd like to get mine back from the smith and get at least one round off first.?

Reactions: MKP
I'm not a big fan of the Barloc because I personally don't think it is worth complicating the barrel-receiver connecting for convenient barrel exchange. But if you really want one, use it with barrel nut so that you have the option of running without it should you need or want to. Also, you may wish to buy a box of screws if you plan on frequently changing barrels. The screw used in the Barloc is highly stressed and should be replaced after just a few cycles and it's probably best to replace it after every cycle. Screws are available here:

https://www.mcmaster.com/91251a346

and, even better but more money, here:

https://www.mcmaster.com/92562a132

Ted
OK, thanks for the recommendation Ted. I wasn't so much interested in quick change as easy, damage free assembly, so if I understand you correctly, you would suggest for a Savage pre-fit, just to use a barrel nut and torque it on and forgo the Barloc?

Scroll down to read about the $795 Nucleus Gen 1.1
Customers with pending orders can choose from either the $795 Gen 1.1 or the $1000 Gen 2.0

American Rifle Company
Nucleus® Gen 2.0

American Rifle Company is proud to introduce the Nucleus Gen 2.0 bolt action.

We decided to update the Nucleus for two reasons. First, and perhaps most importantly, is reducing the elapsed time between order placement and fulfillment. To that end, an effort to improve production throughput was made by reducing the number of unique parts that we must manufacture. For example, the entire striker assembly of Nucleus G2.0 is now identical to that of the Mausingfield while its bolt head and the extractor are now identical to those of the Archimedes. And secondly, we want to give you more of what you want so Nucleus G2.0 has been updated with the following:

Keyed rail interface
For scope mounting, Nucleus G2.0 uses a Picatinny rail that now has a tapered slot that engages a similarly tapered key machined into the top of the receiver, just like those of the Archimedes. So, in addition to the five conical head screws that were used on the original Nucleus, the key provides an additional constraint for maintaining alignment between the rail and the receiver and for resisting the forces imparted on the rail by the recoil lug during barrel installation.

Bayonet style bolt shroud
The striker assembly of Nucleus G2.0 can now be removed by depressing the bolt shroud locking pin and then rotating the bolt shroud with respect to the bolt by one-quarter of a revolution, enabling tool-less take-down of the bolt for cleaning and for bolt-head exchange.

80 degrees of bolt rotation
In order to improve the smoothness of the bolt cycle, maintain an appropriate level of cocking effort, and still provide adequate clearance between the shooter’s hand and the scope during bolt cycling, Nucleus G2.0 has 80 degrees of bolt rotation. The original Nucleus had 72 degrees.

Smoother cocking and closing
Nucleus G2.0 slightly over-cocks when lifting the bolt handle and then de-cocks by a tiny bit when closing the bolt, thus no cock-on-close will be the standard offering. Moreover, the cocking piece never falls into the cocking cams when closing the bolt thus eliminating any bump-on-close that would otherwise result from a slight amount of re-cocking. The cocking behavior of Nucleus G2.0 is now essentially identical to that of our current Mausingfield action.

Optional cocking pieces
To accommodate variations among triggers that will be used within Nucleus G2.0, we now have an inventory of cocking pieces varying by 0.25mm (0.010 inches). Additionally, those wishing to enable their action to cock-on-close can do so by ordering a cocking piece that will provide that functionality. Cock-on-close cocking pieces can also be modified by a competent gunsmith in order to eliminate any de-cocking and cocking-on-close.

The smartest bolt knob in the industry
Nucleus G2.0 comes standard with our short barbell knob which we believe is the smartest and most ergonomic bolt knob available. The knob boasts a function driven design that makes high-speed cycling of the bolt as easy as possible.

Improved fully-retracted bolt guidance
The receiver of Nucleus G2.0 cradles more of the bolt body than did its predecessor, thus making it a bit easier to avoid binding while cycling a bolt that was already easy to cycle. An incremental improvement at best, is was easy to implement and therefore we included it.

During the past few years, we have struggled to deliver actions in a timely fashion. Afterall, coaxing a bolt action out of a hardened steel bar is not easily done. We often underestimated just how difficult it is to do this stuff. So rather than introduce something completely new like we did last year, American Rifle Company’s goal for 2020 is to significantly reduce the time it takes to put our products in your hands by getting better at what we do. Nucleus G2.0 is a big step in that direction and we will begin taking orders and deposits for these soon.

And as always, thank you for your business. It's the fuel that keeps us going and we don’t forget that.

American Rifle Company
Nucleus® Gen 1.1

Only $795 while supplies last!
In stock and available now for immediate delivery!

So, what is a Nucleus Gen 1.1 and why is it on sale?

A Nucleus Gen1.1 is essentially a Nucleus Gen2.0 less the keyed rail interface and the extended support for a fully retracted bolt. Apart from that and the use of the Gen1 bolt head, the two are functionally identical.

During the development of Nucleus Gen2.0, we had to decide what to do with some existing Gen1 inventory of which we did not have enough to build complete Gen 1 actions. We decided to rework Gen1 receivers and fit them with bolts that are nearly identical to those of Gen2.0 yielding Gen1.1 actions having Gen2.0 functionality. Doing so presented us with the smoothest transition to Gen2.0 which we developed to apply lessons learned and to improve production throughput and availability of all of our actions. Gen1.1 fit nicely into this line of reasoning.

Nucleus Gen1.1 upgrades include the following:

Bayonet style bolt shroud
The striker assembly of Nucleus G1.1 can now be removed by depressing the bolt shroud locking pin and then rotating the bolt shroud with respect to the bolt by one-quarter of a revolution, enabling tool-less take-down of the bolt for cleaning and for bolt-head exchange.

80 degrees of bolt rotation
In order to improve the smoothness of the bolt cycle, maintain an appropriate level of cocking effort, and still provide adequate clearance between the shooter’s hand and the scope during bolt cycling, Nucleus G1.1 has 80 degrees of bolt rotation. The original Nucleus had 72 degrees.

Smoother cocking and closing
Nucleus G1.1 short-action slightly over-cocks when lifting the bolt handle and then de-cocks by a tiny bit when closing the bolt, thus no cock-on-close will be the standard offering. Moreover, the cocking piece never falls into the cocking cams when closing the bolt thus eliminating any bump-on-close that would otherwise result from a slight amount of re-cocking. The cocking behavior of Nucleus G1.1 is now essentially identical to that of our current Mausingfield action. Note that the Nucleus Gen1.1 long-action may exhibit a slight bump-on-close that is much less perceptible than that of the original Gen1 Nucleus. If you are hypersensitive to the sort of thing, we suggest choosing a Nucleus Gen2.0 long action.

Optional cocking pieces
To accommodate variations among triggers that would otherwise change the way the bolt cycle feels to the user, we now have an inventory of cocking pieces varying by 0.25mm (0.010 inches) for the Nucleus G1.1. Additionally, those wishing to enable their action to cock-on-close can do so by ordering a cocking piece that will provide that functionality. Cock-on-close cocking pieces can also be modified by a competent gunsmith in order to eliminate any de-cocking and cocking-on-close.

The smartest bolt knob in the industry
Nucleus G1.1 comes standard with our short barbell knob which we believe is the smartest and most ergonomic bolt knob available. The knob boasts a function driven design that makes high-speed cycling of the bolt as easy as possible.

Currently available are about 133 Nucleus Gen1.1 right-handed actions of which 97 are short-actions and 36 are long-actions. These actions are fully assembled and ready for immediate shipping once we receive payment and your FFL details.
So come and get’em! We want to clean our slate so that we can usher in the era of Nucleus Gen2.0 sooner than later.

And as always, thank you for your business. It's the fuel that keeps us going and we don’t forget that.

And again, customers with pending orders can choose from either the $795 Gen 1.1 or the $1000 Gen 2.0

Can we get bayonet style bolts for existing Gen 1 Nucleus?

[IMG alt="karagias"]https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/data/avatars/s/33/33695.jpg?1516260437[/IMG]
karagias
Sergeant

Commercial Supporter

Belligerents
Monday at 9:33 PM
Dolomite_Supafly said:
Is it possible to upgrade a 1.0 to a 1.1?
Yes it is certainly possible but that doesn't mean we want to do it, not yet anyway. We need to determine how we would handle it. We are not setup to do custom low-volume work. The upgrade would require replacing the Gen 1 bolt body, bolt shroud, and cocking piece with those of Gen2.0 as well as reworking the extraction cam and maybe the forward cams of the receiver. We would likely charge at the very least $200 to do it unless we did it as a group buy in which case a bit of volume can reduce costs. We've discussed this internally in anticipation of the question. More feedback from you guys can make it happen.

Ted
Can we get bayonet style bolts for existing Gen 1 Nucleus?

Will the 1.1 SA run a 6.5 PRC, BDL and Wyatts Extended Mag Box?
Nope, neither the Nucleus nor the Archimedes have BDL mag wells.

The Mausingfield does and it can accommodate your request. The short Mausingfield actions have Wyatt length BDL mags wells. If you decide to have one of these built, make sure you go to some one who actually knows how to do this. BDL is not plug and play. Chad at LRI is a good bet.

Ted

OK, thanks for the recommendation Ted. I wasn't so much interested in quick change as easy, damage free assembly, so if I understand you correctly, you would suggest for a Savage pre-fit, just to use a barrel nut and torque it on and forgo the Barloc?

Sort of. Both shouldered and nutted barrels require special tools if one is not to mar the finish on the barrel or the receiver during installation. Short Actions Customs makes a nice barrel vice for this purpose.

A barrel requiring a nut is certainly the better choice if you want the option to use the Barloc. I and others have shot small groups using the Barloc. I've done it using cartridges as large as 300WM and a friend of mine shot quite a few matches without incident. Then one day, said friend experienced a zero shift during a match and surmised that it may have been caused by bumping the barrel against something along the way. Later, he decided to do an experiment to compare POI shift before and after the striking the barrel against a wooden barricade. Sure enough, the POI shift was observed and its magnitude varied with the intensity of the barrel strike. Later, he repeated the experiment with the Barloc in place. Again, a POI shift was experienced but it was significantly smaller.

The moral of the story is avoid bumping the your rifle against anything if possible. POI shifts occur for all sorts of reasons and completely eliminating the possibility of a POI shift is very difficult if not practically impossible.

I think the people that enjoy the Barloc are those that shoot for group size from a bench. That environment is not abusive. But for me, I subscribe to the adage, "Less is more" because simplicity yields reliability.

Ted

@azred33

Sort of. Both shouldered and nutted barrels require special tools if one is not to mar the finish on the barrel or the receiver during installation. Short Actions Customs makes a nice barrel vice for this purpose.

A barrel requiring a nut is certainly the better choice if you want the option to use the Barloc. I and others have shot small groups using the Barloc. I've done it using cartridges as large as 300WM and a friend of mine shot quite a few matches without incident. Then one day, said friend experienced a zero shift during a match and surmised that it may have been caused by bumping the barrel against something along the way. Later, he decided to do an experiment to compare POI shift before and after the striking the barrel against a wooden barricade. Sure enough, the POI shift was observed and its magnitude varied with the intensity of the barrel strike. Later, he repeated the experiment with the Barloc in place. Again, a POI shift was experienced but it was significantly smaller.

The moral of the story is avoid bumping the your rifle against anything if possible. POI shifts occur for all sorts of reasons and completely eliminating the possibility of a POI shift is very difficult if not practically impossible.

I think the people that enjoy the Barloc are those that shoot for group size from a bench. That environment is not abusive. But for me, I subscribe to the adage, "Less is more" because simplicity yields reliability.

Ted

SAC Vise.
I would go with torquing the bbl, no bbl nut. Shouldered bbl, if to spec, would not necessarily need to check headspace after torquing to action. (You SHOULD FOR SAFETY, I usually don't). I use the SAC vise and it works great! Because i don't have enough workbench space, i purchased a 2" trailer hitch extension and attached my SAC vise to back of my SUV.
Shouldered bbl install/torque looks the best and cleanest.

Attachments

• IMG_20191209_213341.jpg
    IMG_20191209_213341.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_20191209_213603.jpg
    IMG_20191209_213603.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_20191209_214200.jpg
    IMG_20191209_214200.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
awesome to have the builder on the forums and engaging the customers - so rare in any industry.

Yes, I second those thoughts. It is great being able to engage with the owner, and of a company with great products. I own 2 of their actions and am quite pleased with both. Now am thinking of getting a 3rd.

Yes, I second those thoughts. It is great being able to engage with the owner, and of a company with great products. I own 2 of their actions and am quite pleased with both. Now am thinking of getting a 3rd.
Agreed. I just ordered my second nucleus. 795 is a great deal. It is the only action I've had that has never given me issues.

Picking mine up this week. Thanks Ted for the back and forth. Now, I need to figure out a trigger...

@karagias probably not the proper thread but I intend to bang the drum softly.....could we please have an alternative scope mounting method for the Mausingfield. I know about the Titanium option but am afraid it still won’t solve my problem. Something in aluminum, direct mount to action that a guy could mount a scope reasonably low with (think low power 1-6 Scope or anything with less than a 50mm bell).
The market, while not massive, is there. I’d buy more Mausingfield actions for hunting builds for sure.

Reactions: ohiofarmer
So I have been really tempted by this deal. I am looking for my first and possibly only custom action. Since it might be my only, at least for a while, I am still trying to decide whether I should just save more for something like a terminus Zeus or TL3 with an integrated recoil lug and ss. But the nucleus does have a lot going for it.

If I do go with a nucleus my question is, is it worth 100 bucks to get a gen 2 over a 1.1? This assumes that Brownells will continue carrying them at the same price with a 10 percent off. 800 1.1 vs 900 gen 2.

So I have been really tempted by this deal. I am looking for my first and possibly only custom action. Since it might be my only, at least for a while, I am still trying to decide whether I should just save more for something like a terminus Zeus or TL3 with an integrated recoil lug and ss. But the nucleus does have a lot going for it.

If I do go with a nucleus my question is, is it worth 100 bucks to get a gen 2 over a 1.1? This assumes that Brownells will continue carrying them at the same price with a 10 percent off. 800 1.1 vs 900 gen 2.
You may want to read this thread for some existing thoughts people had on origin vs Nucleus

On Brownell's, They're getting better at excluding certain items from the 10% coupons. They may keep allowing ARC actions (and Bighorn and Defiance) with the coupon, but it may also be shut down without warning.

If those were my choices only having one action, I would go Bighorn.

I have both, my Bighorn has never just gone click with no boom. My nucleus v1. is a target rifle, wouldn’t take it hunting For that reason. Also hard to disassemble the bolt on the fly. New version fixes that, but Bighorn has had it.

If I were to buy another ARC action it would only be a Mausingfield.

edited to V1.0. Not 1.1

Last edited:
Reactions: Loki_The_Trickster
If those were my choices only having one action, I would go Bighorn.

I have both, my Bighorn has never just gone click with no boom. My nucleus v1.1 is a target rifle, wouldn’t take it hunting For that reason. Also hard to disassemble the bolt on the fly. New version fixes that, but Bighorn has had it.

If I were to buy another ARC action it would only be a Mausingfield.
Are you saying the brand new 1.1 actions that are shipping arent firing 100% of the time? Thats an odd regression since that issue was isolated to the very light firing pin springs on initial release.

Are you saying the brand new 1.1 actions that are shipping arent firing 100% of the time? Thats an odd regression since that issue was isolated to the very light firing pin springs on initial release.
Not saying that at all.
That’s just my experience with my early action. I don’t own a newer SN one.
Mine left a seed of doubt, with my own money on the line for a hunt. It’s not my first pick. That’s all

Your money, your action, you get to pick.

Sorry, I edited above. I have the early 1.0.

Reactions: Loki_The_Trickster
Not saying that at all.
That’s just my experience with my early action. I don’t own a newer SN one.
Mine left a seed of doubt, with my own money on the line for a hunt. It’s not my first pick. That’s all

Your money, your action, you get to pick.

Sorry, I edited above. I have the early 1.0.
Gotcha. FWIW, with the heavier firing pin springs, I havent heard of anyone having issues. If someone has a differing experience, please correct me.

Gotcha. FWIW, with the heavier firing pin springs, I havent heard of anyone having issues. If someone has a differing experience, please correct me.
I actually ran the 16# spring for a while with no issues.
I went to the 19# because bolt lift is only slightly harder and for extra insurance if it’s cold or dirty.
I’ve yet to have an issue.

Reactions: gnochi
I'm still running the original 16lbs spring. The only issue I had was trying to shoot some mil-surplus 7.62 ammo.
I've never had any issues with either commercial/match type ammo or hand loads with the 16lbs spring (in 308 and 6.5CM with large and small primers). I do have the 19" and 20-whatever spring just in case, but I'm keeping the 16 in there as it stands.

that issue was isolated to the very light firing pin springs on initial release.

Just to be clear, many people including myself are still running the 16# with no issues. Also, from most of the feedback here it seemed to be just running the spring dry was the fix, not a weak spring.

Hopefully the Brownell's 10% of you're relying on to get the 2.0 down to $900 is still available if/when they have Nucleus 2.0s in stock at Brownells.

Silly question, I have my LA Nuke and I am trying to fit the action wrench. The one I picked up from ARC goes about a quarter of an inch in the back of the receiver and no further. Does it slide all the way in or that is it? Does this have to do with the mechanical ejector?

Silly question, I have my LA Nuke and I am trying to fit the action wrench. The one I picked up from ARC goes about a quarter of an inch in the back of the receiver and no further. Does it slide all the way in or that is it? Does this have to do with the mechanical ejector?
Yep, pretty sure you need to remove the ejector. Not sure where I remember reading it tho

Yep, pretty sure you need to remove the ejector. Not sure where I remember reading it tho

You are correct. ARC beefed up the new action wrenches and new new ones require you to remove the ejector.
The old ones had a limit of 100 lbs-ft and the new ones are stronger (Max is now 150 lbs-ft)
The information on their page to purchase contains all the above info.

You guys building rifles with ARC actions should start a new TV series. You could call it Kings Of Pain II.

You guys building rifles with ARC actions should start a new TV series. You could call it Kings Of Pain II.

I absolutely love my Mausingfield, it's been an amazing action so far. Great build quality, excellent features and runs like a well oiled sewing machine.

No complaints on my end.

Reactions: jmw and Steel head
Tried to order one last night, but it never would go to the review page to finish the order. At least I hope that didn't work, cause if it did I bought several of them cause I tried several times.