• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American Rifle Company, $795 Nucleus Gen 1.1 and Gen 2.0 Bolt Actions

King of Pain??? Not myy ARC Nucleus. It’s an early one received in December of 2018 and has been completely trouble free with a Huber trigger and the original 16# mainspring through 700 rounds of match shooting. However for added insurance I just installed the 19# spring.

Reactions: Steel head
Especially since I just said the hell with it after fooling with it for a while and put down a deposit on a Bighorn origin.

Can't go wrong there either.
I have two of the Atlas Tac actions and have been wanting to add either a Bighorn or an ARC for a while now.
So many great choices out there right now it's hard to keep up with them all.

Can't go wrong there either.
I have two of the Atlas Tac actions and have been wanting to add either a Bighorn or an ARC for a while now.
So many great choices out there right now it's hard to keep up with them all.
This will be my first custom build, so i'm sure these actions are better than anything I own at the moment. I leaned towards the ARC due to them being in stock, but I doubt my barrel will be in any time soon, so it really doesn't matter. If I did end up ordering 3 or 4, I guess I'll have a few projects on my hands. I'll be eating ramen noodles for a few weeks though LOL I didn't get an email confirmation from them or anything, so I would like to believe i'm good.

Reactions: XLR308
I picked up a LA to play around with 300 WSM and 300 WM and other longer cartridges. It should be a nice cousin to my SA I already have!

You guys building rifles with ARC actions should start a new TV series. You could call it Kings Of Pain II.

No pain here, except not having $795 to buy another Nucleus...

I have had 5 Nucleus actions, I currently still have 2, and my Archimedes action. I sold two actions to friends. All of them ran and are running great. I never had a problem with any of them, except when fireforming my 7 Sherman Short mag, the 16# spring didn't set a bunch off, but that is probably more due to the headspacing/ff factor. I never had a problem with it when it was running my 6xc in competitions. And, I ran it for months before every cleaning the oil off of it.

I have dealt with ARC getting the different springs, changes in bolt heads, etc. It has always been easy. Justin has always been on top of it. I even had two Archimedes pre-orders at one time, changed the configuration, and eventually consolidated them into one action, because I just decided to keep my second Nucleus.

@karagias

Ted,

You have mentioned a couple times that if you got enough Nucleus Gen1 actions in a group buy you might be willing to update them to 1.1 for a more reasonable cost. Is this still on the table? I am willing to bet quite a few folks would want an upgrade if it was affordable. How many actions you thinking, cost, and do we have authorization to initiate a group buy in the group buy section to get this going?

Reactions: duramaxed
Has anyone handled the new Mausingfield (83 deg bolt throw) next to the Nucleus 1.1 (80 deg bolt throw)? Does the Nucleus still seem to be faster? Is there significantly more bolt handle clearance with the Nuke?

Are 2.0's shipping? Debating between waiting for a 2.0 or grabbing a 1.1 sooner.

Nucleus 1.1's are gone. Area 419 may have one left in .223 bolt face for $850, but it does not specify 1.1 (assuming it is based on $).

Does anyone have 2.0's in hand yet?

Nope. I think we'll be shipping within the next couple of weeks. We've have over 200 receivers that will go out to salt bath nitride within the next day or two. After that, inventory will be good to go. Left handed receivers are very close behind. Archimedes is in stock.

Ted

Nope. I think we'll be shipping within the next couple of weeks. We've have over 200 receivers that will go out to salt bath nitride within the next day or two. After that, inventory will be good to go. Left handed receivers are very close behind. Archimedes is in stock.

Ted
Excited to hear it! I am putting together my first custom rifle centered around a Nucleus Long Action that I ordered a few weeks back. It looks a lot like my Sako 85 action (CRF, three lug, mechanical ejector) but with a ton of aftermarket parts and some awesome improvements (Savage small shank receiver, interchangeable bolt face, +MOA picatinny rail, and all fitting into a Rem 700 footprint).

I have shipping tracking info for my Nucleus Gen 2 receiver. This will be my first build using a custom receiver. I initially had a deposit on a Gen 1 in late 2019, but decided to not do a Gen 1.1 when offered by ARC and instead wait for the Gen 2. I am very exited to get this all together.

Receiver will be matched up with MDT ACC, Bartlein pre-fit 6.5CM from Southern Precision, Bix'n Andy tactical 2 stage and Athlon Ares ETR (just waiting on the receiver). While this build is not together yet, I am already thinking about another barrel for it in a different caliber (looking at a number of 6mm and .25 cartridges). I also bought an extra bolt head to maybe play with .223 as well.

This gun will match up with my MDT ACC/CZ455 trainer.

Reactions: fmillik
I have shipping tracking info for my Nucleus Gen 2 receiver. This will be my first build using a custom receiver. I initially had a deposit on a Gen 1 in late 2019, but decided to not do a Gen 1.1 when offered by ARC and instead wait for the Gen 2. I am very exited to get this all together.

Receiver will be matched up with MDT ACC, Bartlein pre-fit 6.5CM from Southern Precision, Bix'n Andy tactical 2 stage and Athlon Ares ETR (just waiting on the receiver). While this build is not together yet, I am already thinking about another barrel for it in a different caliber (looking at a number of 6mm and .25 cartridges). I also bought an extra bolt head to maybe play with .223 as well.

This gun will match up with my MDT ACC/CZ455 trainer.

Mine is supposed to arrive up here on Thursday, and it will be my first custom action.

I currently have a 6.5 PRC Proof CF barrel, and plan on getting a 300 PRC barrel for it as well. I have a Masterpiece Arms chassis for the range, and a Manners EH1 on order for hunting.

Part of the appeal of the action is being able to tinker with it yourself with a vise, go/no-go gauges.

Reactions: EnjoyTheWilderness
Part of the appeal of the action is being able to tinker with it yourself with a vise, go/no-go gauges.
While that capability is not unique to ARC receivers, I do plan to do the same as you. I could source a shouldered pre-fit barrel and just spun the barrel on, but like the idea of setting it all up myself. I ordered a receiver wrench along with the Nucleus, bought the SAC barrel vice setup awhile back and have go/no-go gauges, so I think I am prepared for current or future contingencies at this point! I feel very confident I can setup the headspace correctly (while not exactly the same, I have done this before on my CZ455 rimfire with Lilja barrel). I also have new brass, all ready for load development. I am just minus my scope rings as I wanted to measure up everything before ordering rings.

I also can't help but to have Ted's enthusiasm for his own products rub off on me. Plus the Nucleus fit my current budget and I like the features it provides. I can see myself eventually doing an Archimedes and Mausingfield build in the future. Maybe with a Xylo chassis (not that I am unhappy with my two MDT, but variety is the spice of life!).

Reactions: fmillik
While that capability is not unique to ARC receivers, I do plan to do the same as you.

For sure.

But when you combine all the other features (CRF, mechanical/inertia ejector, Sako-type extractor, interchangeable bolt-face), it is a really cool product, and I really didn't see that much innovation in the other custom actions. They seemed to mostly be Rem 700 clones made to tighter specs.

I also ordered the ARC action wrench, and a set of "soft-jaws" for my bench vise, as well as the go/no go gauges from Dave Manson.

If I ever shoot out the barrel on my Sako 85 in 260 Rem, I think I will try to build a rifle off of it. Everyone likes the Tikka action (don't get me wrong, it's great), but in nearly every way the Sako 85 is better, with the main drawback is less aftermarket parts. I've been researching a fair amount, and I think it can use Tikka prefit barrels.

Is it still possible to find any Gen 1.1s?
keep an eye on the px is about the only option.
I bought 2 of the 1.1's cause it was a great deal. SA mag is at LRI & the LA .473 I'm waffling on now. Might put it in the PX.
Was going to do a 6.5 x 284 with it & still might, but bought a M7 Mausingfield and the Manners group buy since. I'm going to need cash for good glass x 2.

Reactions: 199 398 500 A
Ted is a great dude and the mad scientist of Bolt actions. I'm glad he is into guns and doesn't have easy access to body parts and tesla vault because this COVID 2020 crap is totally Shelly. For some reason I could see him pulling it off.

I have one of the first Nucleus's and an Archimedies, love them both, both in 25 Creedmoor. Neither have been shot as much as I'd like. I had some issues with light strikes with my Nucleus, which ARC immediately shipped a 25lb spring to fix, but admittedly I checked/reset my headspace and I was off by a few thou, so I'm one of those guys in Ted's article saying the light-strikes are customer caused...but the customer is always right...(my comment) and completely ignorant. So for Ted, I'm sorry to part of the problem and thank you for doing everything that you do to fix very small details.

I will say that with my Nucleus 1.0 the 25lb spring the bolt lift was too heavy, to the point where you could hang my 10lb hunter set up by the bolt handle and the bolt wouldn't open, very sticky and stiff. I just installed a 19lb spring and will give this a run the range to see how it goes. I love the way the action feels with the original 16lb spring but I'm running CCI 450's in my SRP brass and they are harder, I'd rather error on the side of function over feel.

I'd like to shamelessly compliment Ted on his pursuit of design. The ARC actions are a natural selection of two outstanding battle rifle actions. I'm fond of the Enfield myself, but the Springfield 1903 was a take on that, so I'll make allowances and besides, who wants a rear lugged action? The Xylo chassis, may not be an eyebrow raiser for PRS guys, but for context, it received development input from a highly awarded, triple distinguished, Olympic shooter; the rear stock and grip may look odd but they aren't designed for free-recoil or bipod work only, but are also very functional in NRA High-power, slung, and offhand. I wouldn't overlook it for the latest AR looking aluminum tactic-cool chassis.

Ted covered it earlier in the thread, too many actions, too quickly, chaos. You have a solid customer base, keep the thing about the thing, and be brilliant in the basics. I hope to see great things in the future.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
Just my opinion on the possible light strike issue, but I think it could be from shallow firing pin depth. When I received my Nucleus #117, my firing pin protrusion measured 0.026” as delivered. My measured primer seating depth is 0.005” below the case head with Peterson brass and CCI #200 primers, leaving only 0.021” of usable firing pin length protrusion for ignition. If I remember correctly the maximum specification for a firing pin protrusion is 0.052”. So I set mine at 0.040” giving my 0.035” to impact the primer.

Original 16# spring with Luberplate #105 coating the firing pin. In my small sample size of 30 rounds I got 100 percent ignition on factory new Peterson 6.5 Creedmoor brass with CCI #34 primers. Grease removed and just light CLP, (moisture and rust can be a big issue here) I now have 536 rounds without a failure to fire. I also live in Florida so no idea about cold weather. I heard that involves some mythical white fluffy stuff floating down out of the sky. 😉

Mr. Kagarias, I was watching a video you were showing the Archimedes.

You mentioned that people were having trouble with the bolt release and that you may change it. Is going to be changed to the current Mausingfield design or perhaps something entirely different?

If I may ask another question, is it possible to order a Archimedes with the original Nucleus bolt knob?

David.

Last edited:
Mr. Kagarias, I was watching a video you were showing the Archimedes.

You mentioned that people were having trouble with the bolt release and that you may change it. Is going to be changed to the current Mausingfield design or perhaps something entirely different?

If I may ask another question, is it possible to order a Archimedes with the original Nucleus bolt knob?

David.

Not sure about the bolt stop. Nucleus 2.0 short actions have a new Mausingfield 2.0 style bolt stop. Nuc 2.0 longs have the original. The original is arguably the most robust bolt stop because moving it into the release position is more difficult. That said, the Mausingfield 2.0 and Nucleus 2.0 bolt stops are pretty damn robust as well. Neither of them load the pivot pin when impacted by the rearward moving bolt.

And yes, it is certainly possible to order the Archimedes with any of our available bolt knobs but I highly recommend you stick with the standard offering because I think it is our best knob.

Ted

Reactions: JeffLebowski
Not sure about the bolt stop. Nucleus 2.0 short actions have a new Mausingfield 2.0 style bolt stop. Nuc 2.0 longs have the original. The original is arguably the most robust bolt stop because moving it into the release position is more difficult. That said, the Mausingfield 2.0 and Nucleus 2.0 bolt stops are pretty damn robust as well. Neither of them load the pivot pin when impacted by the rearward moving bolt.

And yes, it is certainly possible to order the Archimedes with any of our available bolt knobs but I highly recommend you stick with the standard offering because I think it is our best knob.

Ted
Already in possession of my new short action Archimedes fitted with the original knob. Guess I’ll just have to order a knob and try it out. I liked the looks of the original on my Nucleus and vanity won out. Couldn’t wait for my Proof Research carbon barrel so I cannibalized another rifle for now.

The Archimedes is a little different in the “feel” of the bolt, but it’s growing on me.
4D341216-46A8-43A0-801A-66BEEED553A0.jpeg
C62ECEFA-9AC2-4765-AE61-D09974DD5D75.jpeg

Saw a Nucleus 2.0 on the forum in Nuc build thread, and it looks as the bolt stop/release is a completely different design now.

Saw a Nucleus 2.0 on the forum in Nuc build thread, and it looks as the bolt stop/release is a completely different design now.
There are a handful of differences between the 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0. See Ted's July 4th post just a few posts above yours. He talks about the 2.0 bolt stop/release specifically. I believe in general the revisions are to move towards parts commonality between different receivers (which is a good thing). I have a Gen 2 Nuc and love it.