• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American Rifle Company New Archimedes Action, New Xylo Chassis, and major Mausingfield revision

Have you formed any opinion on whether you prefer the Lone Peak or the Arch yet? I bought the Arch but Lone Peak was an option I looked long and hard at.

Not really. I think I could pro/con them to death based on features and price but It’s just going to come down to personal preference for the individual user.

I wasn't convinced that I would be invoiced so fast with my 01158X order number so I hadn't called my FFL yet.

Now I have, paid in full and I just have to add on to amortize the transfer fees over several guns.

I got Serial number #69 lol. It will be here Friday. I didn't plan on getting one so soon so I bought a .308 bolt face so I could make another range rifle. Now that it will be here in time for hunting season I wish it was a Magnum bolt face to make a 300wsm. If someone has a Magnum bolt head they want to trade let me know!

Anyone putting TriggerTech Diamond on their Archimedes?

I just did, but if I close the bolt too fast, the sear would drop on closing of the bolt. Pull weight is at factory pre-set.

Tried with a CE two stage I have lying around and that combo has no issue.

I have a Diamond for mine but with shipping and 10 day wait, it will be October before I can try it out.

Luckily I also have a special and a CE that I can try too.

Had the same issue with the diamond on the Nucleus. Couldn't get the sear to stay engaged no matter how much pull weight I set it to, ended up getting a Special and set it to 1lb. Will try the Diamond on the Archimedes but I predict it will be the same issue. FP spring may be too light. May have to get another Special.

I just did, but if I close the bolt too fast, the sear would drop on closing of the bolt. Pull weight is at factory pre-set.

Put diamond back on and turned pull weight screw 1 full turn CW and now can't get the issue to repro. Don't have a way to measure the pull but it felt a fair bit heavier than before.

My Nucleus + TT Diamond without a barrel did this until I put a barrel in it. No issues 600+ rounds later.

My Nucleus + TT Diamond without a barrel did this until I put a barrel in it. No issues 600+ rounds later.

6235B8DF-053F-49AC-A362-0592F20884F1.gif

Inform me instead of mock me? The firing pin drop wasn't repeatable once the barrel was properly headspaced.

many setups use the back of the barrel as part of the limit on the forward motion of the bolt. if your bolt was able to move into the barrel area that may have been enough to get something f'd up.

Yes, this is something I demonstrated when I installed the barrel and the firing pin stopped falling when closing the bolt.

I want to be clear, when my Nucleus + TT without barrel installed firing pin dropped it was ONLY when running the bolt very hard/fast and even then it was not repeatable but occasional.

Got my final invoice with serial # and tracking # for RH LA!

Fired a few down mine today, and Im liking it. 6.5x47 runs flawlessly with Alpha and AICS mags. Triggertech diamond did not show an issue. This action is stupid smooth and can be ran fast. The pivoting bolt handle barely moves and you dont notice it. This feature may aid in extraction, but honestly does nothing for the feel of the action. I do believe this is going to be one of the actions to beat. Ive been running a Mausingfield since it came out, and will be using an Archimedes now. I bought several Archimedes actions with plans to build a few, but got impatient and built on other actions. However, I am keeping this one.

For what its worth, the shouldered barrel for my mausingfield wouldnt headspace on this action. I also have a shouldered prefit for a tl3 that wouldnt headspace without hacking it out alot. I did have an old barrel with savage threads setup for a barrel nut that I was able to use for now. This is not an issue for me, as I will have a new barrel shouldered anyway. But, I am curious to see if anyone else has the same issues.

Attachments

• 20190912_173218.jpg
    20190912_173218.jpg
    930.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 20190912_173316.jpg
    20190912_173316.jpg
    856.3 KB · Views: 86
Fired a few down mine today, and Im liking it. 6.5x47 runs flawlessly with Alpha and AICS mags. Triggertech diamond did not show an issue. This action is stupid smooth and can be ran fast. The pivoting bolt handle barely moves and you dont notice it. This feature may aid in extraction, but honestly does nothing for the feel of the action. I do believe this is going to be one of the actions to beat. Ive been running a Mausingfield since it came out, and will be using an Archimedes now. I bought several Archimedes actions with plans to build a few, but got impatient and built on other actions. However, I am keeping this one.

For what its worth, the shouldered barrel for my mausingfield wouldnt headspace on this action. I also have a shouldered prefit for a tl3 that wouldnt headspace without hacking it out alot. I did have an old barrel with savage threads setup for a barrel nut that I was able to use for now. This is not an issue for me, as I will have a new barrel shouldered anyway. But, I am curious to see if anyone else has the same issues.

What generation Mausingfield do you have? How far off is the headspace? IIRC all of the ARC actions are supposed to have the same shouldered headspace.

My mausingfield is an early one, but not from the first batch that had different threads. headspace is just barely off with my mausingfield barrel. i can unscrew the barrel about a quarter turn and the bolt will close on my go gauge. its about a full turn with the tl3 barrel

Reactions: gnochi
Interested in the head space news as well. Already have a bunch of MFs and Nukes with associated barrels and spares.

I'm waiting to pick mine up from the FFL, as I'm currently out of pocket, but after seeing some of the pics, I'm feeling like we are getting more than we thought we were with this action when we put down for the pre-sale. Meaning, I wasn't expecting the integral lug and I definitely wasn't expecting the keyed scope rail. In my opinion that's the best system design on the market.

Interested in the head space news as well. Already have a bunch of MFs and Nukes with associated barrels and spares.

I'm waiting to pick mine up from the FFL, as I'm currently out of pocket, but after seeing some of the pics, I'm feeling like we are getting more than we thought we were with this action when we put down for the pre-sale. Meaning, I wasn't expecting the integral lug and I definitely wasn't expecting the keyed scope rail. In my opinion that's the best system design on the market.

That’s basically how I feel for my upcoming 300 PRC build. There are a lot of excellent actions on the market, but damn if this one doesn’t have a hell of a feature set to beat.

20190912_180629.jpg

Got mine today. Don't have a stock yet, but I mocked it up with a TT special trigger. I could get it to drop on the close if I ran it fast with the trigger set at the lowest setting. I came up three clicks and the problem stopped. This is my first custom, coming from savages. Is this normal?

Reactions: JMattJ and Dooby
My mausingfield is an early one, but not from the first batch that had different threads. headspace is just barely off with my mausingfield barrel. i can unscrew the barrel about a quarter turn and the bolt will close on my go gauge. its about a full turn with the tl3 barrel

So what you are saying is that with the TL3 barrel if you back it off one full rotation then you can close the bolt? So hypothetically you could use TL3 shouldered Prefits with a small spacer to set the correct headspace? If possible do you think you could get that measurement?

So what you are saying is that with the TL3 barrel if you back it off one full rotation then you can close the bolt? So hypothetically you could use TL3 shouldered Prefits with a small spacer to set the correct headspace? If possible do you think you could get that measurement?

Yes you can do that, I've done it before with a TL-3 prefit on my Mausingfield. The MF, Arch, and Nuke all have the same barrel specs.

I've got a spacer to run Origin barrels on TL3. If anyone wants I'm sure could get some made to run TL3 on ARC actions. Maybe sounds like itd have to be pretty thin if its only one revolution

Reactions: Skunkworx
I've since lost it, but IIRC it was around .1" thick. Made it out of a section of old barrel bored out to barrel OD then parted off.

ETA: Looked it up
.790" - .675" = .115" thick.

normal. but my load is moderate. about 2770 fps with 6.5x47 and 140 eld
It would be interesting to hear how the bolt lift is with a really hot load but I am mostly concerned with a good solid primer strike, I don't want a heavy weight firing pin spring band-aid.

I've since lost it, but IIRC it was around .1" thick. Made it out of a section of old barrel bored out to barrel OD then parted off.

ETA: Looked it up
.790" - .675" = .115" thick.

Thank you for the info, with the increase in availability of TL3 Prefit barrels I could see this as a viable option for using them with ARC actions.

Got my Archimedes today. I’m thinking now I’m going to stick with my Nucleus. The Nuc just shoots so darn well I hate to mess with it. Can’t afford to keep both.

Reactions: Cody S
Got my Archimedes today. I’m thinking now I’m going to stick with my Nucleus. The Nuc just shoots so darn well I hate to mess with it. Can’t afford to keep both.
is the bolt lift noticeably lighter?

Reactions: Skunkworx
Since primary extraction doesn't happen on bolt lift, there should be very little sliding friction between the extractor and case rim on bolt lift and no resistance due to primary extraction. If it has reliable primer strikes with a light firing pin spring and is otherwise similar to the Nucleus, it should have a very light bolt lift.

The only way to beat it might be to go to a two lug action with 90° bolt throw so the cocking force is spread over 18° more throw.

I think I'll take the small penalty for three lugs and a shorter throw.

It would be interesting to hear how the bolt lift is with a really hot load but I am mostly concerned with a good solid primer strike, I don't want a heavy weight firing pin spring band-aid.
According to the parts list included in the box it's a 30# striker spring.

Wow, if it feels lighter and it's using a 30# spring, there might be room for improvement.

it seems that cocking bolt lift is the main thing that most people focus on, so Ill say this. I have Mausingfield and a Bighorn Tl3 for comparison. The Tl3 also has a heavier spring than it came with originally, because I had light strike issues with SAUM rounds. Of the 3, the bolt lift feels heaviest on the Archimedes. However, I like The features of the Archimedes best of the 3. The shorter throw and 3 lug just feels better. Time will tell on reliability.

I have a feeling that reliability was prioritized in the design of this action instead of those butterfly bolt lifts that have been giving people issues

Last edited:
Reactions: Cody S
Looks like the Nucleus bolt head will fit in the Archimedes but not the other way around. Has ARC/Ted said anything regarding that topic?

Nucleus on the left, Archimedes on the right. These are 0.535" (nucleus) and 0.378" (archimedes) bolts.

cCj1kMa.jpg

KWOE8pd.jpg

NccDs2J.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the Nucleus bolt head will fit in the Archimedes but not the other way around. Has ARC/Ted said anything regarding that topic?

Nucleus on the left, Archimedes on the right. These are 0.535" (nucleus) and 0.378" (archimedes) bolts.

cCj1kMa.jpg

KWOE8pd.jpg

NccDs2J.jpg

Your images didn’t come through as far as I can tell.

The parts section on the ARC website says the extractor is shared, but has the bolt heads listed separately.

Just for grins, anyone with a previous-rev Mausingfield and an Archimedes want to check rail compatibility?

• Sad
Reactions: stalwart300
Your images didn’t come through as far as I can tell.

The parts section on the ARC website says the extractor is shared, but has the bolt heads listed separately.

Just for grins, anyone with a previous-rev Mausingfield and an Archimedes want to check rail compatibility?

Thanks, edited and added links. Works fine on desktop, looks like mobile doesn't play well with embedded imgur links.

Regarding SN in the invoice

Maybe only the short actions? My invoice doesn’t have one listed. All I have is invoice and SO numbers.

Yes, this is something I demonstrated when I installed the barrel and the firing pin stopped falling when closing the bolt.

I want to be clear, when my Nucleus + TT without barrel installed firing pin dropped it was ONLY when running the bolt very hard/fast and even then it was not repeatable but occasional.
It could be that the barrel adds mass to absorb the inertia of the bolt slamming forwards. You can see this with adding a stock or chassis too.

View attachment 7146488

Got mine today. Don't have a stock yet, but I mocked it up with a TT special trigger. I could get it to drop on the close if I ran it fast with the trigger set at the lowest setting. I came up three clicks and the problem stopped. This is my first custom, coming from savages. Is this normal?
You're going to want to install a barrel and stock/chassis before running that test.

Regarding SN in the invoice

Maybe only the short actions? My invoice doesn’t have one listed. All I have is invoice and SO numbers.

Did your action ship yet? Its on the shipping invoice notice . With tracking.

I ordered a RH LA, got the serial# with updated invoice notice.

Last edited: