• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes an/pvs 17b and a Peq 2a ????

bwatson8541

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2009
Baytown Texas
im looking for a pvs 17b and a peq 2a to set up on an M4 for preditor and hog hunting. does anyone know where i can find one. i saw that eotech makes one but i think the one i carried in the marines was made by Litton.

Is this something we can buy as civilians and if not does Texas have any laws or licences around that?

Also how much would i be looking at spending?
Thanks
V4

Re: an/pvs 17b and a Peq 2a ????

The NV is perfectly legal. Finding a 17 will be tough, but there are plenty of other Gen 3 and 4 optics out there.

The PEQ on the other hand will be harder to get. They pop up on Ebay every once and a while, and fetch high prices. Officially, from the company, you have to be military or LE to get one. I tried to order one a while back, and I may be wrong, but i think it was restricted to LE/Military only.

The best option, IMO, is to buy a PV22 or a dedicated night optic.

Buyer be warned. You are talking THOUSANDS of dollars. My Gen 3 dedicated night scope cost in excess of 3k. Thats a lot of dough for some occasional night hunting. I seriously doubt I'll ever get $3k worth of use of it.

I know im looking at alot of money but i have some people who pay to have their hogs thinned out on their leases. hopefully that would cover the majority of the price. i just really liked the pvs 17b i carried while i was in. and the peq 2 was like a spot light. ill keep checking ebay for the peq. what do you think they run 1,000 to 2,000 i cant see it being much more than that for a lazer.

also does anyone know how eotech's pvs 17 compares to the one produced by Litton for our military?

Thanks

Seems like the sensible thing to do is buy the gear, have me put it on my rifle and go to work, while you relax and get payed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viper4 8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know im looking at alot of money but i have some people who pay to have their hogs thinned out on their leases. hopefully that would cover the majority of the price.
Thanks </div></div>

If you plan on charging people to hunt their hogs, you will find that you will be broke. There is a large crowd of people begging to shoot them for free, and most ranches charge YOU to shoot them.

That being said, your best bet is to just squirrel away some cash each month until you have enough to pay for it. Thats what I did.

A genuine PEQ2 in good shape goes for 1250-1500 on fleabay. There is one on there now and its at 1075 with 3 hours to go. I've never even seen a 17 for sale, but a comparable NV device is 3.5-4k.

I don't know who will pay you 5 grand to thin out hogs, but take them up on the offer or give them my email! I'll do it for half of that!

Good luck getting what you are looking for. You will have to be patient, but you'll find it. Its out there. Whether its legal for a civie to own is something to ask someone with more experience and knowledge than me.

I dont plan on getting the whole thing paid for but i do have some friends that are members at a lodge that i belong to who are cattle ranchers with lots of land around tx. there old and dont lease out there land. i guess they dont want to fool with it but they have said theyd give me like 500 bucks to come out and thin out the numbers and get to hunt white tail while im up there. figured it would be a good excuse to buy some cool gear.

viper4

That PEQ2 just sold at 2250. Just a reference point for you if you should indeed purchase one. I was off a couple hundred dollars. I suspect I'm also off a couple hundred on the NV.

Thanks for the info Brand. i am kind of sketchy on buying something like that on ebay, not knowing if it works or not. have these ever came across the hide for sale section?

I'm fairly new here. I'm not sure. I would really look into the legality of owning one first. I was told by the MFG that they could not sell them to civilians, its a Military LE item. I'm not sure on the regs.

If you find out, please let me know. I wouldn't mind having one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm fairly new here. I'm not sure. I would really look into the legality of owning one first. I was told by the MFG that they could not sell them to civilians, its a Military LE item. I'm not sure on the regs.

If you find out, please let me know. I wouldn't mind having one. </div></div>

All IR lasers are restricted for sale new from the manufacturer unless your LE or Govy. The FDA regulates these units. With that said, IR lasers are NOT illegal to own for civilians, just illegal for the manufactures to sell to the general public. Hope this helps.

Vic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viper4 8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> what do you think they run 1,000 to 2,000 i cant see it being much more than that for a lazer.
</div></div>

It's not what it costs to make, it the law of supply and demand.
As Vic said you need to be a dept to buy new or find a LEO that was able to purchase one thru his/her dept and they're willing to sell it.

BTW Vic is a great source for good night vision -

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor-TNVC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm fairly new here. I'm not sure. I would really look into the legality of owning one first. I was told by the MFG that they could not sell them to civilians, its a Military LE item. I'm not sure on the regs.

If you find out, please let me know. I wouldn't mind having one. </div></div>

All IR lasers are restricted for sale new from the manufacturer unless your LE or Govy. The FDA regulates these units. With that said, IR lasers are NOT illegal to own for civilians, just illegal for the manufactures to sell to the general public. Hope this helps.

Vic </div></div>

Vic, thanks for the clarification.

There are 2 on ar15.com. One for $1350, like new with all accessories, and one for $2000 that is a little beat up.

A guy had 3 for $1130 each without accessories, but I just bought the last one.

Let me know if you need links to the items for sale.

-dan

Theres one from a seller on ebay for $999. He has a bunch of stuff or sale, I bought a mount from him. I think the ebay name is usmcstingray.

-dan

Another thing to watch out for with ebay is whether the unit still belongss to Uncle Sam. There have been several cases where an unsuspecting buyer bought stolen government property on ebay and lost it when the military showed up wanting it back. You are better off buying from a reputable seller, or at least from someone with the documentation on the unit to prove where it came from.

Yep it is supply & demand but also you got to remember that it is a NSN# numbered item for Gov. contract sales . So They are bound by law to NOT sell there product for one penny less to other sales customers that they charge to Gov. sales.
High-$$ for laser IR aiming device it Is 'supply & demand' for the fun toys. The Gov. 'demands it' and does not mind paying high cost for it 'getting supplied to them' .

I have a L3 pvs17 I'll sell for $5500 OBO.. Comes with mount w/ arms levers.. Scope is in great shape.. Has been used very little.. I just don't have time to use it really anymore.

Call me with any questions and also can text pics..

972-825-3017

Chris

I'm also open to some trades but prefer cashola!!