• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

another beginner/entry level rifle buy/build? RPR or something else.

hey guys, here's my dilemma. Im new to long range shooting and on a somewhat limited budget under $2k. just joined a club that goes to 800yds after my previous one only went to 300. I had my focus on a Ruger RPR in 6.5CM, but am considering/open to buying another rifle such as Rem SPS, Tikka, etc and dropping it in an MPA BA chassis. Not a fan of the other stocks/chassis. My goal is learn to shoot at distance, take afew classes and hopefully ready to shoot a PRS style match next year for fun. I kno there are lots for aftermarket parts for the RPR, but dont wanna dump endless $$$ to add up to a custom build, but would do a barrel swap. Any suggestions?

This is very familiar. We've all been here at this crossroads before. Your budget is relevant, so don't discount your options. I have found, time and again, a used quality setup is far better than an entry level rifle that you simply have to keep dumping money into that you can't get back. I don't k ow if your budget was just for the rifle or rifle and scope package. Regardless, get maximum mileage and buy a used rifle with great components and you will be ahead of the curve. Good luck.

hey guys, here's my dilemma. Im new to long range shooting and on a somewhat limited budget under $2k. just joined a club that goes to 800yds after my previous one only went to 300. I had my focus on a Ruger RPR in 6.5CM, but am considering/open to buying another rifle such as Rem SPS, Tikka, etc and dropping it in an MPA BA chassis. Not a fan of the other stocks/chassis. My goal is learn to shoot at distance, take afew classes and hopefully ready to shoot a PRS style match next year for fun. I kno there are lots for aftermarket parts for the RPR, but dont wanna dump endless $$$ to add up to a custom build, but would do a barrel swap. Any suggestions?

I can't speak for the variety out there in 6.5CM........ I bought a low end Savage in 6.5 which shot sub-moa, and was so impressed with it I went ahead of schedule and got the RPR in 6.5CM......... AND IT IS A DREAM........came with the dark earth cerakote, and I do believe I got lucky. The rangemaster at one training/shooting range I went to said it was about the second flattest shooting rifle he'd ever seen. The gun is better than I am and that suits me just fine. Hope the barrel is still good when I find the right scope for it (Sightron and Vortex so far). Never replaced a barrel, and will plan a Bartlein or such for this very special gun.

On the dark side, my excitement with this RPR led me to recently purchase the RPR in 338 Lapua.......so far, with lesser scopes on it, and both Prime and Lapua factory rounds, my groups have been bizarre. I'm thinking about buying a Spuhr mount for it, later adding a scope upgrade when I can afford it. AND I'm about to start my own reloads for it, I'm always happier with my own loads.

But my experience leaves me wondering if getting an excellent rifle when buying less than top dollar rifles is more a crap shoot than anything else? I've read that the best RPR weaponry goes out the back door to workers and their families/friends/etc...... and I live too far away to play that game.

Also, for the record, I'm as happy with my Sightron III for about $325 as I am my two Vortexes at about $625 each........they're all good scopes for the money.

Good luck.

Reactions: CageFighter
Begin by understanding that CONSISTENCY IS KING!!!! You can compensate for anything but inconsistency. The shooter is the weakest, most inconsistent link in the chain. Invest in the shooter for the biggest return on investment. Knowledge, practice, equipment is the correct order of priority. What are you shooting now? What is limiting your performance; your improvement? Is the rifle the limiting factor? Probably not your rifle if you have only been shooting at 300yds. Every one has a limit on their expenditures. Spend your money where you will get the biggest return. .....not necessarily the rifle initially. Is the $2K for rifle only, or must it cover rifle and scope? Ammo? Starting out in long range, the most important expenditures are knowledge, scope and practice ammo. Learning to read wind by shooting A LOT in the wind will be your biggest return for your buck. Most newbies will avoid shooting in the wind opting for calm days....and learning nothing. When the wind blows; you shoot; you learn. Doping wind separates the shooters from the trigger pullers. That's why the spotter/wind doper is the senior member on a military sniper team; trigger puller the junior. What is your scope situation? Starting out, scope is waaaay more important than rifle. Spend big on scope once. Buy once; cry once. Move your quality scope to new rifle when rifle becomes your limiting factor....waaaay lot of ammo down the learning curve. In a scope, glass is secondary......and totally subjective to one's eye. Coatings on the lens is critical to performance and longevity of scope. Protect those coatings. Learn how to care for the coatings. But, most important in long range shooting is scope tracking accuracy and repeatability and robustness. If you can't dial your solutions accurately every shot, no amount of money spent on a rifle...or anything else.... will make up for it. Knowledge: Shooter's ability to build a stable shooting position, manage recoil, trigger control, external ballistics, and wind calling are the most critical parameters to putting rounds on target. Those are mastered through learning.......classes, mentoring from better shooters......and practice. The Ruger RPR is a good performer. For very little more, the Tikka T3 Tac A1 is a lot of rifle for the money. You will shoot the barrel out before it will be the limiting factor holding you back. Same barrels as on Sako TRG. Adjustable trigger is awesome. Chassis is great. Seeing them for $1200-1300. Buy new on line, ship for $10-30; $15-30 transfer; spend the governor's cut on ammo, bipod, shooting bags.

There are many great Percision rifles on the market today and you would not be disappointed with most of them. But you may want to consider spending your money on good optics. Put more $ in the scope and less in the rifle. You can add to the rifle not the scope. Have fun

Reactions: CageFighter
Ok, there is more than a few RPR, let’s say, detractors, here. My first so called precision rifle IS an RPR. Still have it and probably won’t sell it. I have added quite a few accessories; Magpul Gen 2 PRS stock, Sawtooth ARCA rail, Timney 2 Stage flat, Magpul grip ?, etc.... as well as homegrown smithing such as polishing the cocking ramps and surfaces and bolt body/receiver interface areas.

With the factory handguard/sawtooth setup I can say that it has quite a bit more fore/aft range of bipod adjustment than my more recent but similar Bravo equipped rifle. The two stage Timney is the only aftermarket trigger that I know of at the moment. Very nice but some folks do not like two stage.

I guess what I am trying to say is that a RPR can be a great starter for those on a budget, especially if bought used with the add ons you may Know that you will most likely want, yet I can completely understand how the ‘buy once, cry once’ crowd is advocating their position.

For me, it is/and will be, about the journey and the memories/lessons along the way.

Newish guy Tequila talk,
Sorry
Jard Triggers makes a very good 20 ounce single stage trigger, no creep, crisp break. $210.00

Last edited:
Jard Triggers makes a very good 20 ounce single stage trigger, no creep, crisp break. $210.00
A lot of guys don't know that the factory RPR trigger is actually pretty good once you remove the secondary spring. Once modded, the effective pull weight is less than 16oz...takes 10min and its free (y)

Reactions: Pbgt
Sounds like a good way to go. Although probably trivial , I just don't like the bladed trigger.

search gun.deals for a Masterpiece Arms PMR. They can be had for 1675ish. “Add to cart for best price”

Also see Patriot Valley John Hancock or Seekins Precision Havak Bravo. I too set out to build a budget rig but eventually decided to throw the budget out the window.

Begin by understanding that CONSISTENCY IS KING!!!! You can compensate for anything but inconsistency. The shooter is the weakest, most inconsistent link in the chain. Invest in the shooter for the biggest return on investment. Knowledge, practice, equipment is the correct order of priority. What are you shooting now? What is limiting your performance; your improvement? Is the rifle the limiting factor? Probably not your rifle if you have only been shooting at 300yds. Every one has a limit on their expenditures. Spend your money where you will get the biggest return. .....not necessarily the rifle initially. Is the $2K for rifle only, or must it cover rifle and scope? Ammo? Starting out in long range, the most important expenditures are knowledge, scope and practice ammo. Learning to read wind by shooting A LOT in the wind will be your biggest return for your buck. Most newbies will avoid shooting in the wind opting for calm days....and learning nothing. When the wind blows; you shoot; you learn. Doping wind separates the shooters from the trigger pullers. That's why the spotter/wind doper is the senior member on a military sniper team; trigger puller the junior. What is your scope situation? Starting out, scope is waaaay more important than rifle. Spend big on scope once. Buy once; cry once. Move your quality scope to new rifle when rifle becomes your limiting factor....waaaay lot of ammo down the learning curve. In a scope, glass is secondary......and totally subjective to one's eye. Coatings on the lens is critical to performance and longevity of scope. Protect those coatings. Learn how to care for the coatings. But, most important in long range shooting is scope tracking accuracy and repeatability and robustness. If you can't dial your solutions accurately every shot, no amount of money spent on a rifle...or anything else.... will make up for it. Knowledge: Shooter's ability to build a stable shooting position, manage recoil, trigger control, external ballistics, and wind calling are the most critical parameters to putting rounds on target. Those are mastered through learning.......classes, mentoring from better shooters......and practice. The Ruger RPR is a good performer. For very little more, the Tikka T3 Tac A1 is a lot of rifle for the money. You will shoot the barrel out before it will be the limiting factor holding you back. Same barrels as on Sako TRG. Adjustable trigger is awesome. Chassis is great. Seeing them for $1200-1300. Buy new on line, ship for $10-30; $15-30 transfer; spend the governor's cut on ammo, bipod, shooting bags.

GREAT POST ! Wish I had had it a few years ago. Still learned a bunch from it as is. I'm scared of wind, need to learn to deal with it. Thanks!

I have an RPR in 6.5 CM and love it; it averages 0.49 MOA to 0.52 MOA with factory match ammo, depending on weight & manufacturer (Federal, Gorilla and Hornady) and how its owner feels that day. I did some polishing of the bolt, swapped the bolt handle and locking piece, lowered the factory trigger weight, swapped into a Magpul PRS stock, and lapped the bolt lugs...all by myself.

I recently (4-29-2022) bought a Savage Axis II Precision rifle in .308 Win for my young son to start long-range and PRS practice. (he wanted a "military" caliber, likely from playing too much "Call of Duty") It's factory except for a Desh bolt lift kit --very necessary -- and I first fed it FGMM 168, 175 and 185 gr. to see which it preferred. It liked FGMM 175 the best, turning out an average 0.39" 3-shot group (0.37 MOA). At Bud's Gun Shop (Lexington store), the out-the-door cash price, with tax, was $869.19. Hope that helps...