• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another CZ 455 project complete

glock24

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2006
    West Michigan
    This sub-forum has inspired me to get myself a CZ 455 for the purposes of low-cost training and plinking. Special thanks to the guys in this thread for the ideas and guidance.

My project started out as a CZ 455 Varmint that I found in the used rack at my local gun shop. I immediately proceeded to tear it apart and upgrade a few things;

- Lija varmint profile barrel trimmed to 16", and threaded for a Sparrow suppressor
    - Boyd Tacticool stock
    - DIP extended scope base
    - DIP adjustable sear
    - DIP aluminum mag well
    - DIP extended mag catch
    - Sightron SII Big Sky 4-16x42mm Mil-Dot

Lastly, I bedded the action, and smoothed up the cocking mechanism per the above post.

The rifle is now a tack-driver, and I just can't tell you how much fun and valuable it is to shoot. I have been using it for some prone practice, and the feedback is incredibly instant and obvious when I make a mistake. I've discovered that I tend to hold my breathe more than I should, and I also have a tendency to flinch when I'm not concentrating to avoid it. It is embarrassing to do so with a little 22LR, but it helps me remember it is still something to work on.

When I'm not taking my shooting too seriously, the weekend plinking is also a highlight. This rifle has become an instant favorite with my family and friends, especially the kids. Case in point; I took the rifle up to deer camp this year. My buddies and I spent over an hour free-hand shooting walnuts out of a couple walnut trees at 30-40 meters. With the suppressor installed, the rifle sounds like a pellet gun. And when the hollow-point bullets we were shooting impacted those juicy walnuts, there was a huge wet smack followed by misting water vapor. What a riot! My buddies were giggling like school-girls all afternoon.

I'd also like to make note of that Sightron. What a beauty. The glass is phenomenal, and the objective parallax does allow it to focus down to about 10 meters. This is super cool when shooting close-up at 16x. I was shooting the printed text on a piece of cardboard at 25 meters the other day.

As you can tell, I'm quite happy with this rifle, and would recommend it to anyone who might be on the fence. It definitely filled an empty niche I didn't even know I had in my collection.

Last edited:
    Looks great! I love to see those shorty CZs! Mine is 16.5" factory barrel(didn't like the way the lilja wouldn't extract live shells), shoots great!

Ben

If I recall correctly Lilja taper laps their barrels. I know the one I installed in my Anschutz is. The taper is at the muzzle end. Hmmmm

Very nice rifle you have there. It's great seeing these projects. I love my CZ455PT and can't wait to build one in 17HMR with a McMillan. What a great way to train.

Nice looking rifle, man! Super simple and super solid. I'm really looking to picking my 455 from my LGS once this job is done.

Very nice rifle you have there. It's great seeing these projects. I love my CZ455PT and can't wait to build one in 17HMR with a McMillan. What a great way to train.

in my op the tank has the best looking rimfirm, here on the hide,
    Moses your rifle has caused me to build one for my son, only need to get all metal coated,
    how is it shooting now that you got some rounds down barrel, please post some more pic of that fine rifle

They are a hoot, aren't they?

One of these days I'm just going to break down and get the damn Lilja barrel. No big hurry though...the stock barrel is still working quite well.

Very nice job, let us know how it shoots when you get the ammo nailed down. Why don't you give the 6X5 challenge a try? Its a good time...

Czs' really are pretty tough to beat. I have had 54 actioned annies and what not, and my 452 will hang with most of them, all for $350 bucks. Very nice build sir.

Good looking setup, can't go wrong with the Lilja

10EQUIS.jpg

do you need a 455 varmint to fit the lilja barrel or would this upgrade also work with a 455 american?

No sir, the barrels will interchange on any 455 receiver. The barrel channel in an American stock would likely need to be relieved in order for the heavier profile Lilja to fit. Or you could drop it in a Boyd's Tacticool sock. There are 455 Varmints available in the supply chain. CZ USA shipped several varmint variations in the last two weeks of December. I just picked up a 455 VPT...had my choice of it at 455 Tacticool or a 455 Varmint in a thumbhole stock.

Lilja offers 2 barrel profiles for the 455.
    A tapered or sporter profile which fits the 455 American stock

CZ455-Lilja.JPG

And the straight profile or bull barrel which fits the Varmint or Precision Trainer stocks

455VL-LEFT.JPG

Both are extremely accurate when using quality ammunition.

Last edited:
    Lilja offers 2 barrel profiles for the 455.
    A tapered or sporter profile which fits the 455 American stock

CZ455-Lilja.JPG

And the straight profile or bull barrel which fits the Varmint or Precision Trainer stocks

455VL-LEFT.JPG

Both are extremely accurate when using quality ammunition.

and they can shoot
    this is average 100 yard group for my 455PT

1-1-14 by usmcchet92_96, on Flickr

Kimber 82BR by usmcchet92_96, on Flickr

9-30-12 (3) by usmcchet92_96, on Flickr

there is a slight first shot flyer with my rifle as you can see but if thats the worst FSF then I can deal with it

and they can shoot
    this is average 100 yard group for my 455PT

Kimber 82BR by usmcchet92_96, on Flickr

9-30-12 (3) by usmcchet92_96, on Flickr

there is a slight first shot flyer with my rifle as you can see but if thats the worst FSF then I can deal with it

I have built 6 cz455's with Lilja's and never seen one have cold bore fliers. If yours does I'd recommend sending that one back to lilja for them to check the chamber.

Every single place I have read says the lilja will not work in an American stock. So which is it? I would much rather buy an American and then get the sported contour lilja rather than run the heavier 455 varmint. Is it a direct drop in? I called lilja and they said they only make it in varmint contour?

Has anyone seen the 455 in manners in stock anywhere? My local gun shop can't get one.

I find myself in the same situation. I contacted multiple gun shops and none are available.

In addtion, I visited the CZ Web Site on January 1st and they have modified their product line and raised their prices.

I guess I wil continue shooting my modified 10/22- T a bit longer.

Every single place I have read says the lilja will not work in an American stock. So which is it? I would much rather buy an American and then get the sported contour lilja rather than run the heavier 455 varmint. Is it a direct drop in? I called lilja and they said they only make it in varmint contour?

Both the varmint taper lilja and the straight .900 can both fit in an American stock. The varmint taper will take little to no sanding while the straight .900 will take a decent amount of wood removal with a barrel bedding tool. If going with a straight .900 I highly recommend doing a full length barrel channel bedding job using some bedding tape to allow the barrel to free float the rest of the way after the first 3" of the channel. Here is my American with a straight .900". No longer looks like this as it's getting a new stick.

Has anyone seen the 455 in manners in stock anywhere? My local gun shop can't get one.

I find myself in the same situation. I contacted multiple gun shops and none are available.

In addtion, I visited the CZ Web Site on January 1st and they have modified their product line and raised their prices.

Might give budsgunshop.com a look. Their site says they have them in stock right now.

Ben

So if I buy an American or a varmint 455 I can get a drop in lilja?

Yep. Either taper will work in both stocks just the American stocks barrel channel will have to be opened up in order to fit the straight .900 barrel. If the rifle you buy serial number begins with the letter "A" you may have to lap the receiver in order for the barrel to go in. I have never had to do that with one that started with a "B" though.

Off topic a bit but would anyone be interested in doing a group buy for some lilja 455 drop ins? Depending on the amount we order we can get them from $50-$100 off! They will even drop ship the barrels to save shipping fees!

Prolly would. Need to make sure I can get the gun I want first. How many people would we need?

Would need a min of 5 barrels and I'll talk them into drop shipping them as well. With a 5-10 barrel order they would be $345 each plus shipping. More then 10 I'd have to call Dan and see what he can do.

I would in for the group buy, just picked up a 455PT last week (private sale). Had a couple pop up in the for sale section a week ago. I could not find one for sale anywhere.

Id prolly be down. Going to look for a gun tonight

Which Cz 455 do you want? Earlier I was looking and saw a few different models instock from online dealers. Remember the factory barrel is worth $75-$100 so that makes the lilja even more appealing :). I'm gonna find a 455 synthetic which can be had for $325-$350. Gonna sell the stock and barrel and go with another lilja straight .900" but in 22 mag and Gonna do a custom thumbhole stock in exhibition claro. Should be one heck of a looker and shooter!

I am shooting my 10/22, if I gotta pay 40.00 to 50.00 a brick I want my
    Gun to be worthy.

Of I buy my rifle in 22mag or 17 hmr but then want my lilja to be in 22lr will the lilja come with the appropriate clip or do I need to buy my gun in 22lr in order to get a lilja in 22lr? I just figured I midaswell add another caliber if I'm gonna buy a lilja in 22lr