• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Any good ideas of getting better groups?

fieldnstreamer

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2011
Tennessee
Hi, I may know the answer to my problem which may not be a problem at all, but ill see what yall think.

I have a new Savage 12fv 12" twist and I just made the first bullets that I was going to send through it. They are Sierra Blitz King 55gr and im using 35.3 gr of R15 with CCI BR-2 primers and Lapua brass. [img:center]
photo01df.jpg
By fieldnstreamer at 2012-08-05[/img]

I took an empty case and slid a bullet in it and closed the bolt on it to find the distance to the lands and it was 2.398", since I dont have to worry about the mag length in this gun I went 2.388. Since this is the first time I've had to deal with seating modification since everything else I reload for is either a pistol, revolver, ar's, or auto hunting rifles, I decided I wanted to experiment with it. Maybe I should go deeper, but I'm not sure. I made 100 of them and all were measured and the powder individually weighed so I know their consistent, so the only thing I can guess is bullet depth. It was like 95 and humid and wind gusts around 8-10mph yesterday, not the best shooting day, but I was anxious to shoot. I got it pretty close at 100 yards, and these were the best groups I got at 100 [img:center]http://
photo2acq.jpg

and my buddy (who doesn't shoot as much as me and I did take that into account) wanted to shoot also took a stab at it at 250 yards and even though the wind was definitely blowing and it was hotter than Haiti out there and my barrel was getting hot, we only ran 15 rounds through it all day before we decided it was too hot, these were his groups [img:center]http://
photo1al.jpg

Maybe I should wait until the conditions are perfect outside, but I kinda thought the groups should be better. Because the groups I get out of all the other loads I make are freakin nail drivers because I spend so much time working and inspecting each bullet. my instinct tells me that it was too hot and windy and the heat from the sun+shooting was making my barrel hot and all that together didnt help anything, any input would be nice. And plus this is my first time playing with such long seated bullets, usually I just seat as long as the mag will allow, but skies the limit here.

Re: Any good ideas of getting better groups?

also the pics of the groups are turned on their side to the right, my hand goes up and down with the groups. The groups weren't low at 100yards and way to the left at 250. at 250 he just held on the little black dot.

I usually find the little pills like more jump instead of being jammed.

As always don't expect perfect groups with gusty winds! If shooting for groups wait till there is now wind.

Also I think it's time to clip them nails!
wink.gif

I know that wind does move a bullet, but I just didnt think it would move it that much. Also, I may shorten about 3-4 of them in increments of .01 and see if they get better. Yea, I may do that today
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fieldnstreamer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...Maybe I should wait until the conditions are perfect outside... </div></div>

Conditions will never be perfect. Just shoot when you are comfortable with your surroundings. If you think that the heat/ wind is whats doing it to you then wait the wind out and try to cope with the heat. If its too much then you are just wasting ammo at that point.

First how did you come up with that load ?

I didn't read anything about you working up a new load using the OCW or ladder method and varying your charge weights in .3 increments along the way.

If you didn't do either of the methods above to determine you optimal load then there's a really good reason why its shooting that way and seating depth isn't at the top of the list.

I may have missed it somewhere, but what cartridge are you using? Is that a 22-250?

I sure wouldn't be able to shoot worth a darn under the hot and humid conditions, but that's just me.

I was amazed at how much a little wind can push a light bullet around. If you have some time, try running your bullet and velocity in JBM Ballistics, (online), with varying amounts of wind to see what happens.

well Ive read other people that used very similar loads, the only difference was the primer and brass, but i used better brass and primers than they did, so I decided to try that out since they had the same gun in most cases. but I also found that load in the manual. I mean its not absolutely terrible considering the conditions, but I know that not all of it could have been conditions, The only thing I did different to mine was the OAL

yea its a 22-250 Ill probably seat a little deeper and shoot on a better day just to start somewhere.

try a few different factory ammo, if your groups shrink, you know it is your load, if the groups stay the same you know it is you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fieldnstreamer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well Ive read other people that used very similar loads, the <span style="color: #FF0000">only difference was the primer and brass,</span> but i used better brass and primers than they did, so I decided to try that out since they had the same gun in most cases. but I also found that load in the manual. I mean its not absolutely terrible considering the conditions, but I know that not all of it could have been conditions, <span style="color: #FF0000">The only thing I did different to mine was the OAL </span></div></div>

Every rifle is different. That is why loads need to be worked up for each one if you are to find the magic combination.

Your brass and primers might be better, but more significantly - they are different, and enough of a change from the original load to need separate load developement. OCW works very well.

OFG

Go do a ladder test you will see a big difference. I did a ladder test and found my perfect load. Without it I would have been greatly disappointed. Even though a certain load will work well in another gun just like yours doesn't mean it will work well in yours. If you have a free floating barrel make sure you are not resting the barrel on whatever you are using as a front rest. Make sure the action screws are torqued correctly. Check and double check to make sure all scope mounts are not loose. If you have done a ladder test and checked all of the above then you probably just need some more time shooting it. Also, give the make/model/caliber/scope/mounts so that everyone can get an idea what you are working with.

well I seated my bullets down to 2.420 from 2.490 and it made the holes on a 3 shot group at 100 yards be able to be covered up by something smaller than a dime, so Im happy with that. I suspected OAL, but I just thought id see if anyone had any input that would help, but IDK I may keep playing with OAL's to see if the groups get any better, but in my opinion thats not too bad
photo01z.jpg
By fieldnstreamer at 2012-08-06[/img]

oh and its a savage 12fv 22-250 with Talley one piece mounts Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 illum TMR. Instead of starting out taking a stab at whatever and playing with it to see what worked, I just decided what bullet design I liked and fit the use I would have for it, which was the 55gr blitzking so I just followed Sierras suggestion as the most accurate combo and did what I thought was improving on it with my components. I had never extended an OAL that long, but didnt know about the info that one of you gave me about bullets this small needing more of a jump. Oh and I shoot it off a Harris bipod and my shooting it is fine with its 1.5lb trigger, its a easy shooter.