• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any reloading industry guys???

Bubb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2007
Pa, York co. Dover
Does anybody have a clue when these company's are going to start hitting the market with supply's? I just spent
Better part of a hour looking for Hornady .284 162 A-Max... I'm telling you this isn't pretty! Cabelas, midway, Natchez, ext...has barley any reloading bullets?! If theses company's are on 7 days 24 hour shifts what are they putting out??? I just don't see it? I smell a rat.....

Does anybody have a clue when these company's are going to start hitting the market with supply's? I just spent
Better part of a hour looking for Hornady .284 162 A-Max... I'm telling you this isn't pretty! Cabelas, midway, Natchez, ext...has barley any reloading bullets?! If theses company's are on 7 days 24 hour shifts what are they putting out??? I just don't see it? I smell a rat.....

I spoke with Hornady this weekend about some supply issues. I didn't ask about your specific bullet, but they have "suspended" production on some products. Take a look on the Hornady site and see if yours is listed as suspended. I have had to go with Berger this year, which ad you may or may not know are more expensive.

I spoke to all of the powder companies, primer companies, bullet companies and for that matter any company that deals with reloading this weekend at the NRA conference inquiring about production, lack of availibility, etc.

Update: its not on the suspended list

http://www.hornady.com/store/search...&categoryid[]=393&categoryid[]=1137&x=33&y=15

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Go to this link and see if any of these will work since your in a pinch

http://www.gunbot.net/reloading/bullets/7mm/

I spoke to all of the powder companies, primer companies, bullet companies and for that matter any company that deals with reloading this weekend at the NRA conference inquiring about oroduction, lack of availibility, etc.

And they answered with?????

I spoke to all of the powder companies, primer companies, bullet companies and for that matter any company that deals with reloading this weekend at the NRA conference inquiring about oroduction, lack of availibility, etc.

And they answered with?????
You beat me too it?? What is coming down?? Are they catching up?
Any other industry would of invested in new more machines by now? This
Isn't a blimp it's staying! More guns in the last 3 years have been sold
Than any 3 years in history. Think they could be safe in saying more powder
Bullets for quit awhile to come? I really think they are dragging their feet!

Tag. I too smell a rat. Something really fishy going on. It is damn near impossible to get *ANYTHING* ...!

Federal match primers small and large rifle are being used by Federal for their own match grade ammo. Some bullet manufacturers are concentrating on higher demand bullets such as 223, 9mm. I didn't ask about new equipment investments, but I've read in interviews that isn't going to hapoen. I don't think they want go invest in equipment and it sit idle in 3 years. Powder .... Hmmm. The powder manufacturers just can't handle the demand. Most powders, such as Hodgdon, don't manufacturer powder. The repackage and sell it. If you don't reload shotshell, there has been a recent unavailability if these powders. These powders often are used in pistol. When I asked Alliant, the rep seemed to be pretty defeated. Hodgdon says that the clays line isn't back up yet and doesn't think the factory will be back online until the end of the year. They claim to be putting out more bullets than before, but the ammo manufacturers are also selling record numbers as well.

Oh, yeah. The NRA convention totally rocked. I didn't think they sold stuff there. I dropped a grand there. Voodoo tactical was hawking their goods for 50% off. surefire was selling their lights for dealer pricing. And I got an Aimpoint pro for for $360, which was all for my just approved 10.5" AR build. My main focus was reloading and precision rifle gear (stocks, barrels, triggers, etc) i was there for 8 hrs on Sat and 8 hrs on Sun and didn't get through it all.

This might be a stupid question but is the NRA convention open to the public? NRA members? Or just industry people? Sorry for interrupting. ..........

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Ya and when you find it, you have to take out a second mortgage!

Couple of things:

The parent company (i think it called ATK) owns federal, cci, speer, rcbs, Alliant powders (I'm probably missing something). So you know that the component are going to Federal before us.

I saw one of the places that I buy powder from show up at my trap/skeet club and bought powder at the same orice I pay for it, so no wonder they are now selling 1 lb for $33, when they are buying it fir $23 at my club.

This might be a stupid question but is the NRA convention open to the public? NRA members? Or just industry people? Sorry for interrupting. ..........

Its FREE to ALL NRA members. If your not a member, you basically join at a discount and get in for Free.

I am a member, Thanks for the info!

Maybe a future meeting will be near you!

Future NRA Annual Meetings convention dates:
2015, Apr 10-12, Nashville
2016, May 20-22, Louisville
2017, Apr 28-30, Atlanta
2018, May 4-6, Dallas

I'm sure I'll have to travel , I'm in Washington state. I'm sure it's worth the trip though.

I'm telling ya there is a rat in the hen house.
There has bee failure to grab our guns, but there
Is others ways to disarm us... If everything is
Going 9mm and. 223 where are they??? I'm
Not buying it. I hear rumor a billionaire who also
Bought Remington?? And a lot of these company's
Is a busy of NYC mayor. They are going to slowly
Take out the whole industry.... I'd don't know but
I'd like to hear if anybody knows who does own all
That who is it??

That who is it??

Look on line for projectiles. 9mm and 223 are everywhere. Shouldn't have a problem getting these. I'm just having problems with less "dominate" calibers such as 243, 30/30, .311.

I know it's frustrating. I think it's simply demand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Vp H cmhbffc

Look on line for projectiles. 9mm and 223 are everywhere. Shouldn't have a problem getting these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Vp H cmhbffc

I'll second that. Last time I was in a gander mountain up here in the Detroit area they had several pallets full of .223 on the floor for customers. I've also noticed that FGGM .308's are showing up more often online though not as much as 3 years ago but they are showing up again.

I work for a supplier to a major bullet manufacturer based in Sedalia Missouri and had a discussion with their President on this very subject. The jest of his answer was that the shortage is entirely caused by more people buying more frequently and in quantities never before seen. He said if he could double his production he would still be in a state of backorder.

I think his issues pretty much spread across the entire industry.

I was told the following by a friend of mine that runs a commercial reloading company:

Many of the powders that we are so hungry for come from other countries, ex. Australia and Canada, and are packaged here. He was told by an industry rep that these countries provide the powder manufacturers with a maximum production quota. They were allowed to "over-produce" last year to try and feed the demand, and in turn had to give up some of this years' quota. He was told that this year would be tighter on availability than last year, but that things should return to more normal conditions next year.

I have no idea if this is accurate information, but it came from his rep for the powder company that we are all begging to get us their powders. He took it as credible enough that he has made a connection for a new supplier of powder that is produced in another country so that he can keep his ammo line.

Also, my observation in the local reloading supply businesses has been that there are folks deciding to start loading that have never done so before. For example, they will walk in and grab any old pound of powder and ask "will this work in xxx?". All they care about is if the powder and primer will make it go boom, as they are not into reloading for the same purposes as we are.

Last edited:
If that is the case, they could order new machinery, hire new people, and still way more than pay it all off + reap deep proffits! It literally boggles my mind how each person who has ever reloaded would have the $$ to buy ...what?...literally thousands of pounds of powder, 10's of thousands of bullets etc....? Damn! Am I the only "poor" soul who cannot pay out 10s of thousands of dollars per year to HOARD unholy shit loads of stuff??

Man, all I want is enough so that I can go out and shoot once in a while! Is that so much to ask for? Damn the hoarders!

ok, /rant off!

I really hope things do cut loose enough so I can buy some supplies!

If that is the case, they could order new machinery, hire new people, and still way more than pay it all off + reap deep proffits! It literally boggles my mind how each person who has ever reloaded would have the $$ to buy ...what?...literally thousands of pounds of powder, 10's of thousands of bullets etc....? Damn! Am I the only "poor" soul who cannot pay out 10s of thousands of dollars per year to HOARD unholy shit loads of stuff??

Man, all I want is enough so that I can go out and shoot once in a while! Is that so much to ask for? Damn the hoarders!

ok, /rant off!

By the time they got all the equipment delivered and installed they would already be on the back slope of the demand spike.

Couple of things:

The parent company (i think it called ATK) owns federal, cci, speer, rcbs, Alliant powders (I'm probably missing something). So you know that the component are going to Federal before us.

I saw one of the places that I buy powder from show up at my trap/skeet club and bought powder at the same orice I pay for it, so no wonder they are now selling 1 lb for $33, when they are buying it fir $23 at my club.

Just read today in the local paper from the Space Coast of Florida that ATK is going to "spin off" their Sporting Division and they are merging with Orbital Sciences in order to to concentrate on Defense and Aerospace contracts. The sporting division will be its own publicly trade entity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That who is it??

I t may be regional. Many of the stores around me are heavy with .223, 9mm and 40 S&W. I have kinda even thought there is starting to be a glut of .223 and hoped they'd shift production back to other calibers. One shop I frequent had to rearrange their ammo display and now have almost an entire shelf of .223. Components are still hit and miss however.

Personally, I reload almost all of my ammo. I have reloaded for about 20 years, it is hard for me to pay "store" price for off the shelf ammo. It just hurts me to the marrow!

ok, /rant off!

The hoarding to the extent you described it is not the overall issue, however it did help dig the hole that we have currently found ourselves in. Supplies of certain components, especially 22lr never fully recovered after the 2008 election. There are simply more gun owners, more people shooting, and WAY more people reloading than ever before.

Multiple people in the industry have stated they are running full capacity to catch up to the unprecedented demand. Until things normalize the manufacturers cannot make a sound decisions on how much to expand their current capacity as it would be unwise to invest the $$$ into expanding. Business wise, it would be foolish to over-invest in expanding only to discover that the demand is not there and then be stuck with a bunch of idle equipment. It will likely get better with time, but it won't be overnight like we all wish it would be.

It has been 4 years or more... admittedly there were one or two brief breaks in there. Sure wish things would get better!

I believe Berger, was adding 3-4 more machines to expand production. I concur with some others, there is a shit-ton of .223, 9mm, .40, and .45 stuff around here. In fact about the only ammo type I'm not seeing is .22lr, and .22WMR. Powder is still hit and miss here, though in the last couple months I've scored IMR 4064, XBR 8208, Hybrid 100, H4350, RL17, and CFE223, so it is becoming more available.........................slowly.

What amazes me is how uniformed people are.
#1 there are only two domestic powder plants....
One in FL 0 St Marks and Radford Arsenal VA.
General Dynamics runs St Marks and BAE runs Radford Arsenal.
Most IMR powders come from Canada from General Dynamics owned plant.
Extruded Hodgdon powders come ADI in Australia, and the same for the Clays line
Some Ramshot and Accurate stuff comes from St Marks the rest is imported
Most Non RL series powder are made at Radford for ALLiant, and RL Series come mostly from Sweden except 17 comes from the Swiss.
People have to become flexible.

Sir...flexible is fine. I have been looking for pretty much any of the extruded, medium burn rate powders for a while now. Thing is, by the time I touch money to time, it is all gone. I Have seen people bragging about how "on top of it" they are. Sure wish things would break loose already!

My cousin works at the Winchester plant in Alton Ill he is working 16 hr days, plant is 24/7 they refuse to upgrade, they are using same stuff from WWII!

My cousin works at the Winchester plant in Alton Ill he is working 16 hr days, plant is 24/7 they refuse to upgrade, they are using same stuff from WWII!
Do they make any canister grade powder there? I thought they only made military stuff there.

Do they make any canister grade powder there? I thought they only made military stuff there.

I don't think they make any powder there. A fee posts back a guy mentioned the only 2 domestic powder plants I'm aware of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Vp H cmhb

I work for a supplier to a major bullet manufacturer based in Sedalia Missouri and had a discussion with their President on this very subject. The jest of his answer was that the shortage is entirely caused by more people buying more frequently and in quantities never before seen. He said if he could double his production he would still be in a state of backorder.

I think his issues pretty much spread across the entire industry.

THIS^^^^^ No rat, You and I and the MILLIONS of new shooters are to blame.

Hey, BuBB!

Call Millers Guns in lower Wilmington.1-302-328-9747 Last time I was there, the shelves were full of all kinds of goodies. They might have it. Also, they just opened up a Cabelas at the Christiana Mall TODAY!!!!!!! Good for you most folks I know are loading 223 and 308. You can pick em up, on your way to Dover!

Powder companies last week regulated that by starting a 10 lb. powder limit, now its too expensive for mass buyers to hoard after hazmat+shipping

Going to be nice to be able to buy powder, even if it does cause me to have to sell a kidney or something... ;)