Gunsmithing  Any thoughts on structured barrels?

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
PX Member
Minuteman
Let us all know what results you get at longer distances when it arrives. Very interested in finding out if it is worth the price difference.
I will. This whole build is going to be on this thread and I will definitely do a detailed report and impressions. Damn Covid had screwed up barrel deliveries... but it is what it is.

I will say that the guys at TACOM have been on the ball in communicating and in helpful advice to get the project done. Once a barrel comes in, it won’t take long at all. I hope to be shooting it this summer!

Cheers, Sirhr

GUNNER10

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2005
md
Neat concept and honestly for what they cost vs any other premium barrel, I would consider one, The benefits would probably be lost me though.

Cool

GUNNER10

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2005
md
We have built barrels in the sub 6lb range. Our 32" 1.45dia barrel is sub 7lb. Our TRG-42 300Wm minus optics with a 26" 1.5" barrel is sub 11lbs.
No load work up... at the very least it will be potentially much shorter especially if you don't have a starting point. That is why the discussion of a challenge for large bullet weight variation and type. It was a top F1 team that did that test (this demonstration has been done a few times). With absolutely zero work up three widely varying powder weights, bullet weights all shot sub 3/8" groups. All rounds together touching. The gun was optimized for the 230Berger. What do you think the bullet jump was for that chamber with a Sierra 168gr is? It still shot a sub 3/8" group.
To be truthful- even though it is our gun- walking into a demo with that variation present is always a bit of a pucker. Another common statement about the performance of the barrels is: "It shouldn't do this".... as in group the way it does with widely varying loads with little to no drift.

It's not about the removing weight "makes it stronger"- we haven't figured that one out yet. It's about how the weight is used. Simple an "I" beam versus a rod. Weight for weight in its intended direction the I beam is way stronger than the rod. Look at what AI systems are designing. Shapes look like a bunch of spaghetti. Airplane wings are a series of struts and shapes to keep the weight as low as possible but strength at acceptable limits. We have a series of "I" beams wrapped around a core. As a owner of Applied Ballistics told me "it's stupid strong". Weight for weight our barrel is stronger than a standard barrel. Pure fact.
Very Cool.

Do you have any pics of the TRG? I kind of like the fact that you can actually get a barrel that is somewhat practical. Hell, my 26 inch Krieger that I am running on my Bolt gun probably weights 20lbs with McM A4 and Optic.

NamibHunter

Desert hunter
PX Member
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
Neat concept and honestly for what they cost vs any other premium barrel, I would consider one, The benefits would probably be lost me though.

Cool

Yep, i tend to agree. A custom 26-28” premium barrel is about $950 these days. A mass produced Savage prefit replacement barrel is about $500 now. Prices seem to have gone up during this extended ammo/covid/components shortage.

I heard from a buddy that the price of a Tacom barrel depends on how much you exceed 28” and also what features you select. Lots of options there. I believe a normal length Tacom barrel (with the most beneficial features) is around $2K. I would consider one for a large caliber dedicated ELR rifle, or an F-class comp rifle (to avoid a hot barrel moving the vertical), but probably not for a 223 trainer.

Last edited:
Reactions: GUNNER10

GUNNER10

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2005
md
Yep, i tend to agree. A custom 26-28” premium barrel is about $950 these days. A mass produced Savage prefit replacement barrel is about $500 now. Prices seem to have gone up during this extended ammo/covid/components shortage.

I heard from a buddy that the price of a Tacom barrel depends on how much you exceed 28” and also what features you select. Lots of options there. I believe a normal length Tacom barrel (with the most beneficial features) is around $2K. I would consider one for a large caliber dedicated ELR rifle, or an F-class comp rifle (to avoid a hot barrel moving the vertical), but probably not for a 223 trainer.
Agree,

I know our 2010's were rated at around 3000 rounds for their service life so so for something in that 300WM/PRC so if one can extend that 25 percent, That almost pays for premium associated with the barrel and if the barrel is in fact more consistent, I think that is overall a win.

TriggerJerk!

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Oct 27, 2019
    Hi all.
    Gentlemen, I started this thread with the hope of generating a productive discussion on structured barrels. And while our best discussions do tend to go through a “warm phase”, they never fail to uncover new questions and reveal astute lines of reasoning.

My sincere thanks to all, especially Mr John Baker. Please continue to post new research findings and anecdotal insights here as time allows.

SH continues to be the best source for all things related to our sport!
    Hi all.

I am really happy to see this discussion progressing, and we all look forward to the results and observations from @sirhrmechanic as his barrel testing gets underway.

And @John Baker please let us all know if anything new happening in your business. The interaction among you and others is exactly what has allowed this discussion to yield thoughtful input and exciting inquiries concerning experimental characterization and testing.

Again, thank you to the SH community. We could not have this depth of discussion anywhere but on Snipers Hide!

Reactions: iceng

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Hi all.

Hi all.

I am really happy to see this discussion progressing, and we all look forward to the results and observations from @sirhrmechanic as his barrel testing gets underway.

And @John Baker please let us all know if anything new happening in your business. The interaction among you and others is exactly what has allowed this discussion to yield thoughtful input and exciting inquiries concerning experimental characterization and testing.

Again, thank you to the SH community. We could not have this depth of discussion anywhere but on Snipers Hide!
    Thanks... hearing that the Bartelin backlog is huge. And could be several more months before TACOM even gets a blank in for me.

Well, cool and bleeding edge comes with delays and requires patience. So right now... holding pattern. Hopefully there will still be a 2A when I get a barrel shipped. But there ya go!

The folks at Tacom are stuck. But are awesome and respond to e-mails so fast that I think they are respond before I send it! We'll just have to see how Bartelin does.

All good!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: TriggerJerk!

NamibHunter

Desert hunter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 26, 2018
    Thanks... hearing that the Bartelin backlog is huge. And could be several more months before TACOM even gets a blank in for me.

Well, cool and bleeding edge comes with delays and requires patience. So right now... holding pattern. Hopefully there will still be a 2A when I get a barrel shipped. But there ya go!

The folks at Tacom are stuck. But are awesome and respond to e-mails so fast that I think they are respond before I send it! We'll just have to see how Bartelin does.

All good!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Well... Sounds like Frank Green and co at Bartlein need to buy three more precision lathes, and grab more market share!

Btw, i heard Tacom also gets some of their barrels from Krieger.

Keep us posted when you get tour barrel.

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Well... Sounds like Frank Green and co at Bartlein need to buy three more precision lathes, and grab more market share!

They offer Krieger or Bartelin. Both are among the best in the world. I chose the Bartelin because they offer a gain twist. At the time, the backlog was 4 weeks. But I wouldn't have cared if it was longer. Because I want to do a gain twist with the structured. There is a lot of benefit to a gain twist... dating back to civil war days!

By combining the structured and gain twist, I'd expect that the precision would be really impressive.

Again, happy to wait my turn. I think the whole industry is in all kinds of 'challenge mode' right now. And I know Frank Green is a big mojo guy here.. I'd not ever ask to jump in front of a guy who has waited longer than me.

All good things take time!

Cheers,

SIrhr

Reactions: lash

LeftyJason

Thumbnail-les
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2017
    Kaysville Utah

If you haven't seen this thread I would check it out. He discusses the reasons why that is harder than it sounds.

Reactions: E. Bryant

NamibHunter

Desert hunter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 26, 2018
    Read much of the thread, thx for posting here. It is clear Bartlein is trying their best to scale up production, under very difficult conditions. I wish them well. They have one heck of a reputation. And for good reason!

Reactions: LeftyJason