• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any triggers to avoid with Bighorn TL3?

canezach

House of Chingasos
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 18, 2014
    Colorado
    I have a Bighorn on order for a new build and I'm piecing all the parts together. GenghisAhn had a thread about how the Bix n Andy trigger wasn't working with a few actions (Defiance, Surgeon, and Tempest, if I remember correctly), so it got me wondering if there are any triggers to avoid or have known issues with the TL3. I'm really considering the Trigger Tech Diamond.

The problems that existed with the Bighorns have been corrected, as far as I know, on the Tac-Sport triggers. They offer a version with a different sear for the TL3 that you need to ask for.

Last edited:
    The problems that existed with the Bighorns have been corrected, as far as I know, on the Tac-Sport triggers. They offer a version with a different sear for the TL3 that you need to ask for.

That's correct, if you forget to ask for the special sear they'll mail you the right one and you just mail the original one back.

I’ve got a bix n Andy Tac Sport in mine, you do have to get the correct sear with it, but it does work great. First bna trigger I️ have had, really liking it so far.

I can’t get Shilen triggers to work in my TL3, but I’m no expert. The Timney 510 fit right in (after removing the bolt release) and works fine. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong, but can’t figure out what.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To clarify,
    all I did was notice I had a problem on mine and was shared with you what was shared to me by others that not post much online

It basically Came down to a tight tolerance issue and the answer was having the right sear for the right action. From what I’m tracking problem has been addressed and fixed.

my bix n andy has had no problems at all and I check mine like a paranoid ever since. Still cannot get it to function without me pulling the trigger.

Still love my bix n andy; haven’t tried the other models yet

I have used a Calvin elite, TT diamond and TT special on the TL3 with no problems to add to the discussion. Now one thing that Josh Kunz PVA mentioned was to avoid the huber 2 stage, and I didn't ask why, but I am toying around with given it a try in the future. Has any one ran a huber 2 stage in a tl3?

I have used a Calvin elite, TT diamond and TT special on the TL3 with no problems to add to the discussion. Now one thing that Josh Kunz PVA mentioned was to avoid the huber 2 stage, and I didn't ask why, but I am toying around with given it a try in the future. Has any one ran a huber 2 stage in a tl3?

Hadn’t heard that before. I have a huber on the shelf, i’ll Slap it on my tl-3 and report back.

I'm really considering that TT Diamond. I'd really like to try one out before buying, but with them being relatively new, I haven't seen one in person yet. What do you think of it?

I am running 2 stage huber on Tl3, no issues. Ran timney CE initially (no issues either) but I prefer the huber.

I also have been running a Huber since I built the rifle some months ago. Maybe 4.5K or so rounds or so with different barrel and caliber swaps. No issues. Now mine is on the heavy side for most people. 1.5 lb initial pull with a 1.5 lb wall, total of 3 LBS.

What kind of problems are people having with this combo?

I'm curious because I have the same set up for another build. Thanks

EDIT: Found the answer in a different thread, TL3 has a different feel than a Deviant and I probably need my trigger timed to the action.

I just picked up a TL3 and installed a Timney 510 that was in my Deviant. The bolt has alot of resistance when closing it, much stiffer than my Deviant was. Is that normal or do i need a different sear?

Last edited:
    Which one did you like better in the TL3 the TT Special, or the TT Diamond?

Just send your trigger in when you order your action and they will time it for you
    I know that, I had talked to Ray at Bighorn previously; I'm just curious about a comparison from someone who actually has both installed in TL3s and is able to compare them.

Oh well I love my TT diamonds in my origin and tl3.
    Oh well, love mine too still wondering if one can feel any difference in machining and better tolerances between the Diamond and Special in exactly the same action, since mine are in different actions. I guess I'm just looking for some validation that I'm not just paying more for red paint and a different label and the ability to go below 1 lb. trigger pull since I like my trigger at 1 to 1.5 lb. which is in the range of adjustment for both.

I doubt you'd feel too too much difference between the two. Aside from trigger shoe. Assuming same pull weight for both

Reactions: SonicBurlap
    I doubt you'd feel too too much difference between the two. Aside from trigger shoe. Assuming same pull weight for both
    Exactly my thoughts since I don't really notice a difference between the Special and the Diamond set at 1.2 lb. in both rigs I might just go with the Special for the upcoming build.

Exactly my thoughts since I don't really notice a difference between the Special and the Diamond set at 1.2 lb. in both rigs I might just go with the Special for the upcoming build.
    I really like the pro curve and plan to get one in 2 stage. But had I not felt one I'd probably have been fine with a 1 pound special even though I run my CE 2 stage lighter than that

I'll probably still get a 2-stage Diamond but after waiting pretty much 10 months for the release my enthusiasm has waned quite a bit and I'm trying to decide again which trigger to get for the next custom build. I love the TriggerTechs but I'm not quite sure that running the trigger above 1 lb. still merits getting the Diamond at additional cost. I like the Special and the Diamond in my rifles but since I've got them on different types of actions but with the same traditional curve shoe I have been wondering if there might be more of a difference in feel when they are on the same type of action, I just don't want to uninstall and reinstall only to compare. I may just go with the Special this time and switch it out later if, or when the 2-stage tease finally ends and they make it on the market, I really don't expect them before SHOT2020 anymore.

I owned a TL3 for a very brief period in time, and when I put a TT trigger on it that trigger made the action feel like complete dog shit. It would've definitely benefited from trigger timing, which I believe is a service Bighorn is happy to provide.

Yes, Bighorn Arms will time triggers for free if you send them in to them before your action ships, if you already have it and you decide you are not happy with the way it feels you can have them perform the timing by sending the action and trigger, barreled action and trigger, or complete rifle in for timing and they will perform it for $50.00. According to Ray from Bighorn Arms timing is not absolutely necessary because over time working the action will eliminate that resistance feel but it is something that in most cases will enhance your feel and enjoyment of the action in regards to smoothness, and judging by those rifles I have experienced personally quite substantially.

Or the trigger manufacturers could all start offering sears to match different actions, that would be a lot simpler in logistical terms than mailing a $1200 action back to Bighorn.

Send me a $35 sear that works ?

Or the trigger manufacturers could all start offering sears to match different actions, that would be a lot simpler in logistical terms than mailing a $1200 action back to Bighorn.

Get a BnA.

It's the only tactical trigger that I'm aware of that allows the end user to essentially time the trigger to the action. One of the big reasons why I think it's a much superior design to it's counterparts such as the TT.

Get a BnA.

It's the only tactical trigger that I'm aware of that allows the end user to essentially time the trigger to the action. One of the big reasons why I think it's a much superior design to it's counterparts such as the TT.
    Or you can just have the action manufacturer time the cocking piece to your trigger, rather than in effect expect trigger manufacturers to have a different sear for every type of action there is and give enough wobble in tolerances for some of the lower end action manufacturers who are not as consistent as say Defiance, Bighorn, Surgeon, Impact, ... Tried Bix'n Andy did not like it better than the TriggerTechs, did not like having to mail back and forth for a different sear either, all boils down to preference. I prefer to have my action timed to my trigger before I break in the rifle.
    Triggers are more subjective to personal opinion than any other part of the rifle because it boils down to individual "feel" which is hard to quantify past what is measurable and personal experience; that's why you have all the different types of trigger shoe from flat to curved in different dimensions, with, or without riffles, ... I don't begrudge Bix'n Andy fans, can completely follow their reasoning, don't argue the fact it's a great trigger, is it the right trigger for me? No, but you can put in your rifle whatever you want, switch it every day, or just use one for multiple rifles, all up to you. Same as the switch barrels some people swear by them, others would rather have a permanently attached barrel to minimize chances of anything messing up accuracy. Choose whatever you like best, and makes sense to you. Results usually speak for themselves.

Or you can just have the action manufacturer time the cocking piece to your trigger, rather than in effect expect trigger manufacturers to have a different sear for every type of action there is and give enough wobble in tolerances for some of the lower end action manufacturers who are not as consistent as say Defiance, Bighorn, Surgeon, Impact, ... Tried Bix'n Andy did not like it better than the TriggerTechs, did not like having to mail back and forth for a different sear either, all boils down to preference. I prefer to have my action timed to my trigger before I break in the rifle.
    Triggers are more subjective to personal opinion than any other part of the rifle because it boils down to individual "feel" which is hard to quantify past what is measurable and personal experience; that's why you have all the different types of trigger shoe from flat to curved in different dimensions, with, or without riffles, ... I don't begrudge Bix'n Andy fans, can completely follow their reasoning, don't argue the fact it's a great trigger, is it the right trigger for me? No, but you can put in your rifle whatever you want, switch it every day, or just use one for multiple rifles, all up to you. Same as the switch barrels some people swear by them, others would rather have a permanently attached barrel to minimize chances of anything messing up accuracy. Choose whatever you like best, and makes sense to you. Results usually speak for themselves.

I hear ya.

I was responding to the fella that didn't want to send an action and trigger in for timing. With a BnA, you don't have to.

It's not for everyone.

it's also not like Bighorn is going to perform some voodoo that any skilled professional gunsmith would not be able to perform. In most areas you have plenty of gunsmiths who should be able to handle that job, it's just a matter of who do you trust. Personally I appreciate the fact that I can have it done for free by the people who designed the action and are probably the most experienced with their product and trust them to get my specific action to the level of performance they designed it to be capable of.

Reactions: kthomas
    Get a BnA.

The BnA trigger top sear, at least the TacSport line, isn't a timing panacea. The sears are different heights, but not different lengths. The different heights address sear drag, but may not fully get positive/negative cock on close to where an individual desires, for a given action.

Get a BnA.

I have one. I think it's a great idea that should be embraced by every trigger maker.

You make it sound like it's some massive undertaking. BnA is doing it with a massive selection of 3x sear heights. 3!!!!

"What a fuckin nightmare!!"

tenor.gif

I have one. I think it's a great idea that should be embraced by every trigger maker.

You make it sound like it's some massive undertaking. BnA is doing it with a massive selection of 3x sear heights. 3!!!!

"What a fuckin nightmare!!"

tenor.gif
    I'm so glad they work out for you and that you are here to enlighten me about my experience mind you. I tried one a while ago, just to see what all the hype and raving was all about after i received lecture after lecture about the error of my ways, and indeed the nightmare was all mine because I was told I needed one kind, was sent another and yes "What a fuckin nightmare!!" Once it all got sorted out I really still preferred the feel of the TriggerTech and sold the piece of German Uber-Engineering. So as I said I don't begrudge you your personal preference and I hope you can live with my personal choice hard as it may be. I just send my TriggerTech in to have it timed to my action when I order it and voila I get the rifle with the trigger function and feel I intend to get, while you can custom order your sear from your Bix'n Andy dealer, or directly from Germany any day of the week; isn't choice a wonderful thing? Now you can tell me again it's a "fuckin nightmare!!", and quite frankly my dear I'll have another movie quote for you.

Last edited:
    I don’t know what the difference would be between a Bighorn action with a correctly timed trigger vs one that isn’t. Is this something that matters only when butt diddling your rifle in the living room or is it something that actually makes a difference when the rifle is being used?

Seems like this “issue” is most common with Bighorn anything.

• Haha
    Reactions: BWB

if you take the measurements of your firing pin fall and contact bighorn they'll ship you a new cocking piece. they don't ever need your action in hand. i had mine in just a few days and it definitely helped the cock on close.

I don’t know what the difference would be between a Bighorn action with a correctly timed trigger vs one that isn’t. Is this something that matters only when butt diddling your rifle in the living room or is it something that actually makes a difference when the rifle is being used?

Seems like this “issue” is most common with Bighorn anything.

you're pretty much right. before i got my new cocking piece, the heavy bolt close really only bothered me when i was dry firing or slowly messing with my rifle at home. during live fire at a match i didn't really notice it much.

you're pretty much right. before i got my new cocking piece, the heavy bolt close really only bothered me when i was dry firing or slowly messing with my rifle at home. during live fire at a match i didn't really notice it much.
    Ok. An incorrectly timed trigger causes a harder close of the bolt. This gives me an idea of what you guys are talking about.

Reactions: Olen_4504
    When I woke up this morning, I thought "There is no way I'll see the words "butt diddling" YET here we are :ROFLMAO:

If you tell Ray what trigger you intend to use at the time you order the action, they will have it set up and ready to go. I haven't mailed them a trigger ever, just had them adjust for the trigger I'm going to use (always a TT) and everything runs SMOOOOTH.

feel not function
    It can affect both, if your cocking piece is incorrectly timed to your trigger and makes impact on bolt close before throw you are abusing the trigger and will have more trouble with the sear not resetting at lower weights.

Can a guy ship his trigger to bighorn arms prior to the action being shipped for trigger timing?