• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Anybody ever install NM sights on a M1 Garand?

rweldon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Just picked up my Springfield Armory M1 GArand from the north store by Camp Perry. While browsing through Fulton Armory's website, I see they have national match sights available. The front blade looks easy to change, but the rear sight looks like it might need some slight massaging to fit. Anybody here ever install one? thanks

Re: Anybody ever install NM sights on a M1 Garand?

Not too difficult a task but if you are not familiare with how they go together I could see the potential to really dicker something up.

Nothing that I would say to bring to a smith to do but I will say you would be doing yourself a favor by ordering one of the many M14 books from Fulton when you order the sights.

I have an M1A that I installed a NM rear sight on, it does take a lot of patience and attention to detail in order to do it right. Get the shop manual for the M1 by Kuhnhausen if you want to learn about working on these yourself. If I was going to do another I would more likely just pay a good M1 smith to do it the right way, I had to buy more than one NM rear sight apperture to finish mine correctly.

In 1992, I bought NM sight kit from Fulton Armory along with their match spacer kit. No big deal to install. The Kuhnhausen book is $45, check Fulton's sight for some instructions and save your money unless you are pulling barrels or doing other major M14 work.
There are very few moving parts in an M1 or M14 rear sight, easy to do the change over if you are halfway competent in aptitude.