• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Anybody familiar with Hornady production cycle? Steel Match 223 unavailable for 12+ months

wahoowad

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2012
Virginia
I thought I was lucky when I learned my bolt gun shot tiny little groups using Hornady's cheap Steel Match 223. Yet I have not seen any more for sale in over 6 months and MidwayUSA has revised their 'expected date' to January 2014.

Hornady website FAQ suggests they are constantly producing and shipping ammo but I am wondering if the Steel Match stuff is only produced at a certain time of year? I have the same question regarding their 22 Hornet - it was out of stock long before the ammo run started and no end in sight.

My uneducated bet is that with everything they make currently selling out and the steel match .223 being a low margin, high machine wear product, they have simply shelved all production of it in favor of higher margin products. If I was in Hornady's shoes I would strip all production to a few high margin, high demand products and produce as much as possible. That way I would be able to increase the amount of ammo produced by eliminating down time between product switch overs and simultaneously also make a higher margin per round. Everybody wins... Except you, you loose.

If it helps any I can't buy any of the ammo I want now either so I loose to.

This stuff does shoot great, I tried a box for the short line High Power and should've grabbed a couple cases. when I had the chance. In my rifle(Armalite NM) it shot a tad better than FGMM

I've used both the steel match and brass match 75g in a comparison. Same accuracy results. So, until I get set up to reload the steel match is a winner hands down.

From what I understand about Hornady, at least their bullets, they produce 3 cycles a year. So if you completely cant find any, wait a few months and it will come back.

I dont know about their loaded ammo though.

I don't know if it was on the same production cycle. But the last shipment of .308 ammo to two of my local Dicks Sporting Goods recieved were Hornady Steel match. So they are still producing steel match. Of course I wasn't there waiting for the truck to get any...

I have been watching quite a few big name places that normally carry it - and they have had none for months and project none indefinitely.

There was a problem with the supply of the steel 223 cases used in the ammo. When they are available the ammo will be available again. Nothing to do with changing to other types of more expensive ammo. Simple supply issue.

Getting cases is the supply issue. Hornady doesn't make the steel cases. They are imported.

I thought I was lucky when I learned my bolt gun shot tiny little groups using Hornady's cheap Steel Match 223. Yet I have not seen any more for sale in over 6 months and MidwayUSA has revised their 'expected date' to January 2014.

Hornady website FAQ suggests they are constantly producing and shipping ammo but I am wondering if the Steel Match stuff is only produced at a certain time of year? I have the same question regarding their 22 Hornet - it was out of stock long before the ammo run started and no end in sight.

I don't know if this will help you or not. Champions Choice sells the hornady steel case 223. They currently show that it is OUT of stock. However when you select a quantity and add it to your cart, it lets you backorder the ammo. I selected 10 boxes, it is currently listed as 23.00 per 50 (when it put it in my cart, it dropped the price to $ 21.90 per box). I don't know if this is out of line pricewise or not. How much did you pay 6 months ago if you remember?

A note about Champions Choice and their out of stock/backorders (just my experience). I have tried off and on for a couple of weeks to order the CCI standard 22LR. They always show out of stock and will not accept the backorder. I ordered 1000 rounds of 22LR Wolf MT. It also showed out of stock, but let me place the backorder. This was 2-3 weeks ago this past Wednesday. The next night when I got home, I got shipping confirmation and received the ammo 4 days later. I have read here in the rimfire section of the hide, of other members that have done the same thing. I think that possibly, (and once again I do not know this) that they do not let you backorder if they do not expect incoming shipments from their suppliers.

The worse that can happen is that I get a cancelled order notice. Best thing is that I happen to get some good ammo that my savage and cz 223 bolt guns like.

Best of luck in your search.

Champions choice link below:

Champion's Choice - Product Catalog - Hornady

Last edited: