• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody running mini split ac units ?

Alphatreedog

Tier Potato
Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2017
    We are adding an inlaw suite along with some overdue remodeling and repairs . Since we have oil domestic hot water and baseboard heat we really have no need for central air . We also have a wood stove so heat is redundant . Since we are putting in a dual zone mini split unit for MIL we decided to loose the window units and go with two dual zone mini splits for ac . Anyone have any experience with them ? The best I'm hearing from my outside contractors/HVAC guys is Daiken . What are you running ?

Reactions: TXAZ
    Absolutely.
    We ran into these when living in the Middle East and East Asia, and they were great.

1 ton 20 Seer “AUX", inverter driven, sold in Mexico with Toshiba guts, imported to the US, purchased for $500. Very easy to do your own install (youtube has a couple of excellent step by step videos). It took me about 6 hours total to install it, mainly because I wanted the pipes and drain hidden between the bricks and sheetrock and not inside a 3" tube on the outside of the house. Otherwise 2-4 hours. They come precharged, and are almost plug and play.

I have an app that lets me control it from my smartphone, and could control multiple from the same app if I had more.

It does everything my central units do, but much lower cost and higher efficiency, and they have a dehumidification mode.
    But the big kicker is IF I lose one unit, that's only 1 room, not 1/2 the house.

The house I'm building in a couple of years is only going to have mini-splits: Each room gets their own.
    AC contractors we talked to don't seem to like them.
    Toshiba, Fujitsu and Mitsubishi are the top brands.

There are also a large number of AC sales companies out of Florida (they allow sales to non-installers) that you can get a smoking deal on if you want to try a DIY.

Do it!

Last edited:
    Mitsubishi
    We made a cat sitting area where the old wall unit was
    F15F95FC-F005-4ACE-8C5B-DA5855E752FF.jpeg

Reactions: Alphatreedog
    We are adding an inlaw suite along with some overdue remodeling and repairs . Since we have oil domestic hot water and baseboard heat we really have no need for central air . We also have a wood stove so heat is redundant . Since we are putting in a dual zone mini split unit for MIL we decided to loose the window units and go with two dual zone mini splits for ac . Anyone have any experience with them ? The best I'm hearing from my outside contractors/HVAC guys is Daiken . What are you running ?
    I have used Mitsubishi in outbuildings and special climate control rooms. They are a bit pricier but they have all lasted and work well. Remember that insulation and how often doors and the like open will have an affect on the units ability to keep up. I always upside mine by the next capacity because of how I'm using them...

Now since you are spending all that cash on yourself... think of the kids and donate to the fundraiser. If you have already pony up again!
    @1J04

Have one in my shop, it was a gently used model my HVAC contractor sold me. AC is fantastic, the heat can't keep up if it's very cold for a long time. (Well below zero for days). With your redundancies, you should be happy.

A buddy is using a big Senville in his shop, loves it.

I'm going to use a Senville 24k btu in my garage because it's about $1000 cheaper than the Mitsubishi.

Absolutely.
    We ran into these when living in the Middle East and East Asia, and they were great.

1 ton 20 Seer “AUX", inverter driven, sold in Mexico with Toshiba guts, imported to the US, purchased for $500. Very easy to do your own install (youtube has a couple of excellent step by step videos). It took me about 6 hours total to install it, mainly because I wanted the pipes and drain hidden between the bricks and sheetrock and not inside a 3" tube on the outside of the house. Otherwise 2-4 hours. They come precharged, and are almost plug and play.

I have an app that lets me control it from my smartphone, and could control multiple from the same app if I had more.

It does everything my central units do, but much lower cost and higher efficiency, and they have a dehumidification mode.
    But the big kicker is IF I lose one unit, that's only 1 room, not 1/2 the house.

The house I'm building in a couple of years is only going to have mini-splits: Each room gets their own.
    AC contractors we talked to don't seem to like them.
    Toshiba, Fujitsu and Mitsubishi are the top brands.

There are also a large number of AC sales companies out of Florida (they allow sales to non-installers) that you can get a smoking deal on if you want to try a DIY.

Do it!
    I agree, and of course the ac guys don't like them. So what.

Mini-splits are great technology; the right unit will be significantly more efficient for both heating and cooling than traditional sources. Daikin or Mitsubishi… make sure you have someone who fully understands the technology help you select the appropriate unit for your use case. Whether cooling or heating will be the greater equipment load is a primary factor in selection. There are allot of models that can deliver required cooling that will fail miserably as a primary heating source in northern climates (assuming that’s applicable to your use case). If this is the primary (or only) source of conditioning for your addition do yourself a huge favor and do not cheap out on the initial purchase. Some of the units mentioned above would be ill-advised unless you really dislike said in-law… 🤣!

Edit: the units that deliver adequate heating (primary, or sole-source) in northern climates are most definitely more expensive than units whose primary job is cooling. Hence the huge price variables above, but, again, this is not the place to cheap-out unless you don’t mind the consequences… 😉

Last edited:
    Another vote for the Mitsubishi. Daikin is popular, but for it's cost, not for it's quality. Though to be truthful, anymore, it's difficult to get a bad performing unit. May as well get a heating/cooling model as they're almost easier to find that way.

We put in a bunch of carrier brand, which might be built by Daikin, not 100% sure on that. Our outside design temp is 10deg F, and I have a few customers that use a multi head as sole source of heat.

Senville gets a big plus from me we put 3 in where I work they've been running pretty much 24/7 because of the heat load with no problems. They come precharged with freon which is in the base unit. They usually come with up to a 25 foot line, any longer and you will need more freon. You will need a good vacuum pump to evacuate it, let that sucker run for a long time to suck out as much air/moisture as possible. Then pressurize the lines with nitrogen to further remove moisture and to leak check your connections. You must have ZERO leaks. Then evacuate again with the pump for longer than you think is necessary to be on the safe side. Then open the valve to release the freon. They are way quieter and efficient than a window unit by far.

Daikin is a good unit, been selling a few of them lately. We have two more going in the next couple of weeks.

Same brand recommendations Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Diaken, my only complaint with mini splits is the limited filtration, and lack of being able to pull in outside air. I will more than likely go with mini splits in the shop if the central out there cratered.

We live in Texas, house and shop are both spray foamed and air tight. We have a single unit multi zone unit in the house that brings in fresh air a few times a day. If air turnover in your house isn't as critical then yeah the mini split is a good option. Especially when you want to have smaller sections or rooms in the house controlled at different temperatures.

I have the Mitsubishi and it’s great, only complaint is I wish I could control it through an app. I usually run it on dehumidification mode and that keeps my house where I want it. The hyper-heat models will help keep it energy efficient with temps with wind chill down to less than 0 degrees I believe? The other heat pump models can work in cold weather as well but get much less efficient

Ours are made by Gree. Very pleased with them.

HVAC guy recommended them over Mitsubishi. Said he had difficulty getting Mitsu to cover warranty items.

…, my only complaint with mini splits is the limited filtration, and lack of being able to pull in outside air…
    Agreed. I found a 30” wide regular air filter and literally laid it on top of the air intake. That has kept the unit much cleaner.

OP, I am retired from over 45 years in the design/build commercial HVAC business. My last employer is one of the largest VRF contractors in the USA. We also installed a shit load of mini-splits. Our main go to is LG and Mitsubishi with some Daikin. I can attest that Mitsubishi was our main go to because of the depth of product line and failure free issues. Where are you located? Different areas of the country will often have differing levels of product support/availability. Also, in the USA Mitsubishi about two years ago "merged" with Trane so that's a whole other ball game that I won't get into. LG is also very GTG. I would definitely stay away from any other brands as most of them are made in Chicom. LG is South Korean based and Mitsu is Japanese. Daikin has a huge facility outside of Houston so kind of rules the Texas market.
    I still maintain my vendor contacts in the industry and may be able to help you out with procuring something for a contractor price.
    Shoot me a PM if you wish.

Mitsubishi. Nothing but smiles. I bought mine after extensive internet research/reading and multiple trips to Japan. A/C tech/practices are different there than here. Here in the USA, we're mostly central heating and A/C. In Japan, every home has a split unit in each and every room (except bathrooms and toilets)... leave a room, turn off the unit. Enter a room turn it on. Newer units are governed by motion sensors. I've been to Japan at least 10x. I don't think I ever saw another brand except Mitsubishi. Hotels, businesses, private homes, all Mitsubishi.

When I finished my research/reading, my choice (in 2010) was LG vs Mitsubishi (as another author describes as the best alternatives). I went with M because I never ever saw a failed or failing unit in ~280 days in Japan.