• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Anyone ever get nervous pulling the trigger on your first ever re-loads?

Infidel45

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 12, 2014
Bristol, VA
Ok, so I was sitting on about 700 pieces of .308 fire-formed brass and going broke trying to feed my rifle 200 round cases of FGMM. So after reading here for a few months, I set my wife off to BOLO for re-loading equipment at the many yard sales she goes to every weekend. She finally scored a few weeks ago. I picked up a used but well loved Lyman All-American turret press and some associated components at a yard sale for $75. Went out and got the .308 dies (RCBS), Ultrasonic cleaner, chamfer tool, primer pocket reamer, Flash Hole de-burring tool/uniformer, digital calipers, digital scale and on, and on...Powder is in decent supply in East TN at the moment so I have some IMR 3031, IMR 4064 and Varget. Got Berger OTM 175 Tacticals and some Hornady 150 FMJ BT that I got to practice loading dummy rounds until I got the seating right (those Berger's ain't cheap). Fast Forward to last night..

Got my first run of 175 Bergers and some 150's done, marked as to the load and ready to go....I have a reloading manual, researched here and online from the powder manuf websites and took my time and wrote everything I did down....so why am I nervous about pulling the trigger-literally?

Loads are;

175 Berger OTM Tactical
Fire-Formed Brass (various-FGMM, LC LR, Black Hills Match, Rem Match)
CCI BR-2 Primers
41.8 Gr of IMR 4064
2.801 COAL for mag feed

(also loaded 10 of the above substituting 44 gr of Varget to test as well)

150 Hornady FMJ-BT
Fire Formed Brass
CCI BR-2 primer
10 each of 41.5 gr 3031, 42 gr 3031, 42.5 gr 3031
2.801 COAL

IMG_00001997_zpsb1021ecc.jpg

IMG_00001996_zpsb28b5ab3.jpg

Ok, so I was sitting on about 700 pieces of .308 fire-formed brass and going broke trying to feed my rifle 200 round cases of FGMM. So after reading here for a few months, I set my wife off to BOLO for re-loading equipment at the many yard sales she goes to every weekend. She finally scored a few weeks ago. I picked up a used but well loved Lyman All-American turret press and some associated components at a yard sale for $75. Went out and got the .308 dies (RCBS), Ultrasonic cleaner, chamfer tool, primer pocket reamer, Flash Hole de-burring tool/uniformer, digital calipers, digital scale and on, and on...Powder is in decent supply in East TN at the moment so I have some IMR 3031, IMR 4064 and Varget. Got Berger OTM 175 Tacticals and some Hornady 150 FMJ BT that I got to practice loading dummy rounds until I got the seating right (those Berger's ain't cheap). Fast Forward to last night..

Got my first run of 175 Bergers and some 150's done, marked as to the load and ready to go....I have a reloading manual, researched here and online from the powder manuf websites and took my time and wrote everything I did down....so why am I nervous about pulling the trigger-literally?

Loads are;

175 Berger OTM Tactical
Fire-Formed Brass (various-FGMM, LC LR, Black Hills Match, Rem Match)
CCI BR-2 Primers
41.8 Gr of IMR 4064
2.801 COAL for mag feed

(also loaded 10 of the above substituting 44 gr of Varget to test as well)

150 Hornady FMJ-BT
Fire Formed Brass
CCI BR-2 primer
10 each of 41.5 gr 3031, 42 gr 3031, 42.5 gr 3031
2.801 COAL

View attachment 43275

View attachment 43276

So I'll be honest I was in same boat as you the first time I started reloading 6-7 years ago. I don't have any experience with those two powders as I've ran varget almost exclusively in 308 so I can't comment on your charges but they don't look hot just by by my gut. Like you I read and read and read and was confident I was doing things the right way but I was still nervous. I think this is somewhat natural as obviously it can be dangerous if done incorrectly. So I went with charges on the lower end of the spectrum, didn't worry about chasing the lands, and loaded up 100 to start. I shot those and my confidence quickly came and I've never had an issue since. I am very meticulous cause I value my equipment and my life, but I think you will gain confidence in your work as you realize that you CAN reload successfully. Good luck!

Start low with your powder charges. Sounds like you are being meticulous with your process, which is good. Check out Dan Newberry's OCW method - google it, and follow it. You'll be where you want to be in no time.

I shot the first rounds I ever loaded about three weeks ago.... have to admit, I was really gritting my teeth when I squeezed the first one off! LOL I thought it was just me.

You did your research, and were careful in your process. You will be fine. Like fireEMT5 said, start low and work up

My first box of reloads only had 1 problem ! 1 round did not get primed but it just taught me to pay more attention and how to use a bullet puller ! Shooting a 300 Wby with reloads is a lotta fun and they were not loaded to max so I had no issues shooting them but being anxious I think is normal ?

I was definitely nervous when I first started 5 years ago, now I don't even think about it because I've loaded up so much pistol and rifle ammo. The only time I am nervous is when the powder supply gets low :)

Sounds like you are doing your due diligence and making sure you're being careful and safe so I would say you are on the right track.

I too just recently (last month or so) went full bore into hand loading and have developed a loads for a few 6CM and 338LM bullets. I trusted the research, which you are doing, and started started low. It all worked out great. Squeezing that first 338 sighting round did send a butt tingle.

Guys..thanks for all of the responses and experiences. I feel somewhat more relaxed about setting off an explosion of my own creation a few inches from my face now. I mean, logic dictates I should probably be more afraid of shooting loads trusted to an automated process with unknown QC parameters manufactured without thoughtful and personal consideration for my, or my wife and son's welfare in mind....but somehow, I keep looking over at the FGMM and 118LR and thinking, "yeah, I think I will keep shooting that--it hasn't blown up on me".

But, I will be shooting my home-grown this weekend....chicks dig scars, right?

I myself always fire with my face away from the rifle when I fire a new build or rifle and when I first try a new load. It may be just overcautious but so far I don't have any scars.

I would highly recommend that you get a Chromo. Early on I read somewhere that if you are reloading and not using a Chromo you are wasting your time so, I got one. The advise was right on tract. When you chromo your load you will gain a lot of good and valuable info. In the long run it will save time and money.
I will leave it to others on this forum to provide more info on why and how the Chromo is valuable. These would be those who are more experienced and more informed than I am which are many in number.

I usually sand bag it and tie a rope to the trigger---------------joking! No just like everyone has said, pay attention to detail, take your time and double check everything. While it may be for the pic, general practice is to work with one powder at a time, which means keep the others away from the work space.

Last edited:
Yes. Tied a piece of string around the trigger and hit behind a plate of AR500 steel with my snowboarding helmet on and goggles.

I usually sand bag it and tie a rope to the trigger---------------joking! No just like everyone has said, pay attention to detail, take your time and double check everything. While it may be for the pic, general practice is to work with one powder at a time, which means keep the others away from the work space.

GIANT +1 on "...general practice is to work with one powder at a time..." along with everything he mentioned

You're supposed to be nervous. That indicates you are cognizant of the risks and danger, which is good motivation to pay attention to wtf you're doing and why you're doing it that way.

I've no doubt you have a long and prosperous reloading career ahead of you.

Def good advice. It wasnt for the pic..that is just where they happened to be. I have small containers marked with tape w/ name of powder. I pour the powder i am using into it from factory jug and use powder strictly from the marked container. I only work with one powder in a sitting and i segment my sessions ie; decapping/chamfer/sizing/cleaning only, priming only, powder and load only. May sound weird, but Otherwise, i would prob get mixed up...

Never on reloads but I did the "tree/string" thing to test out my 50 BMG after I built it.

I can relate... I was nervous as hell firing my very first .40sw reloads in my Sig X5, especially after reading how easy it was to overpressure that round (and that's what I started out on)

I am having trouble hitting with my M&P 45. I hit low left some, and always left. (yes, I know the reasons for this) I do this with most semi-autos. No so much with revolvers. So naturally I am a revolver fan.

I just finished a book, Combat Handgunnery by Massad Ayoob. A shooting method was described in the book where the shooter used the index finger to point along the side of the pistol and uses the middle finger to pull the trigger. DOES ANYONE USE THIS METHOD.

I went to the range and tried this out. It works for me!!! I have small hands and can not really get to the first joint on my index finger. Using the middle finger, I can. I put all rounds on a 8 inch target, rapid fire with a Glock 35 at 10 yards and 9 out of 10 with the M&P 45 from 15 yards. The hits were dispersed on the left and right of center line for both pistols. And I have never hit from 15 yards with the M&P 45.

I am having trouble hitting with my M&P 45. I hit low left some, and always left. (yes, I know the reasons for this) I do this with most semi-autos. No so much with revolvers. So naturally I am a revolver fan.

I just finished a book, Combat Handgunnery by Massad Ayoob. A shooting method was described in the book where the shooter used the index finger to point along the side of the pistol and uses the middle finger to pull the trigger. DOES ANYONE USE THIS METHOD.

I went to the range and tried this out. It works for me!!! I have small hands and can not really get to the first joint on my index finger. Using the middle finger, I can. I put all rounds on a 8 inch target, rapid fire with a Glock 35 at 10 yards and 9 out of 10 with the M&P 45 from 15 yards. The hits were dispersed on the left and right of center line for both pistols. And I have never hit from 15 yards with the M&P 45.

I've reloaded over 1/2 million rounds through my Dillon & RCBS over the past 30+ years.

I am very meticulous, especially with powder charges.

Yes, I still get a tad nervous when I change procedures in trying something new.

I'm working up a new load for .223 using Berger 70 Gr VLD.......I'll start at the lowest charge using the Berger manual, and OCW from there. It should all be okay....:D

I must be the only one that just threw some shit together and started bangin away... I load all my .223 stuff fairly low, sometimes less than book low, so I was never too worried there. Especially since they're all .223 specs in a 5.56 gun.

.308 I still load low.. I've not seen any real reason to work up a good load yet. My .308 doesn't get enough real use for that yet.

Your research was spot on and you should have no issues. I have been reloading for my DTA since with great results and my face is right over the chamber!!! IMR 4064 very forgiving and versatile. 168gr & 175gr SMKs best for me with 42.8 gr and 185gr Berger VDLs at 43.9gr with no pressure signs. I am meticulous and never verve us about firing reloads. I FLS now every time to avoid any sticking issues. Have fun. Shoot twice as much and much more accurately now that I reload.

Last edited:
Only thing I can see is using some moderate recipe you found somewhere. Better to start low and work up. What is safe in my rifle may not be safe in your rifle. Those loads look OK for most rifles, but I still prefer to work up from a low load.

OCW is the way to go in determining what shoots best in your rifle.

OCW Overview - Dan Newberry's OCW Load Development System

And to help, I developed this Excel template to do the math of the charge weight steps.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ng/193057-ocw-excel-template.html#post2521572

If it bothers you that much, put the rifle in a rest and sandbags on the butt stock and use a long string. I always use safety glasses and ear muffs myself.

At camp Butner, NC My wife and I were quaffing for our M-1's as there were about fifty shooters on the line waiting for to ready to shoot command.

All the rifles were loaned to us shooters so I was concerned about the clean condition of the weapons.

Just as they were ready to fire I called out cease fire and pissed off a number of people around me.

Just before chambering a round into the breach I noticed no light in the bore and wanted to inspect the bore for any obstructions.

The range officer took my weapon back to the bench to find a cleaning patch solidly stuck in the barrel to the degree he could not remove the patch.

I then ask them to check all fifty weapons and the found two others in the same condition.

The shooters next to me said they were sorry for the rude remarks they said to me for stopping the shoot as they too may have been injured by the blown rifle.

No...I was too young (15) and dumb. I had the Lyman manual (all 150 +/- pages in 1954) so what more could a guy need? Hard and fast rule now...never shoot another person's handloads.

You are nervous because you are intelligent enough to realize that doing things wrong could be dangerous. I think that is a very good sign. Only idiots never realize the danger that many undertakings pose. Your nervousness causes you to think more, be more cautious, and careful, and those are all good things.

As long as you are following the instructions in the reloading manuals, and stay within recommended charge weights, work up to your charge, and not try to do anything unusual or experimental, you should be fine.

I would rather shoot with a first time reloader who is smart enough to be nervous, than with someone who thinks they know it all already.

You are nervous because you are intelligent enough to realize that doing things wrong could be dangerous. I think that is a very good sign. Only idiots never realize the danger that many undertakings pose. Your nervousness causes you to think more, be more cautious, and careful, and those are all good things.

As long as you are following the instructions in the reloading manuals, and stay within recommended charge weights, work up to your charge, and not try to do anything unusual or experimental, you should be fine.

I would rather shoot with a first time reloader who is smart enough to be nervous, than with someone who thinks they know it all already.

Lots of good advice and comments guys..thanks. Range test went well. No FTF, no pressure signs, primers look good and no scars. I dont have a chrono yet but just comparing to Dope i have from Factory loaded 149 gr Nato, M118 LR, and FGMM i have found very good starting loads with my 150 gr FMJ BT Hornady loads for out to 600-700. My 175 OTM Tactical Berger load was hitting steel at 400, 450, 500 & 600 yds at .5 to .6 mils less elevation hold than w/ 175 FGMM at about same weather conditions and at same altitude. Chrono on the "to be purchased" list...

Just FYI:

Rifle is a R700 AAC-SD .308 20" barrel w/SF Socom brake

150 gr Hornady FMJBT Load
41.5 gr IMR 3031
BR2 CCI primers
fireformed 118LR, FC 12 and FGMM brass

175 Berger OTM Tactical Load
41.8 IMR 4064
Same primer, same brass

Only thing I can see is using some moderate recipe you found somewhere. Better to start low and work up. What is safe in my rifle may not be safe in your rifle. Those loads look OK for most rifles, but I still prefer to work up from a low load.

OCW is the way to go in determining what shoots best in your rifle.

OCW Overview - Dan Newberry's OCW Load Development System

And to help, I developed this Excel template to do the math of the charge weight steps.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ng/193057-ocw-excel-template.html#post2521572

Thanks pinecone...will def use this.

I think it only human to be a bit nervous.
But if you have followed the powder manufacturer load date & done all the research in case prep etc then shouldn't be a problem.

I must admit I think I did squint a bit on my first shot:eek:

i think of it a different way. do i trust myself or a factory load more? even an automated process has hiccups now and again and i have no idea what sort of QA/QC facilities have. i have every reason to think that factory ammo is safe, but it is not a given. i trust my hand loads.

I just hid under the bench on my first time and gave my rifle a reach around.