• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone from Stokes Co NC? Planning private range .

Snakum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2010
Sandhills
... maybe.

We're looking at a few remote plots from 30 to 45 acres, with two in Stokes County NC. One looks like it could easily support a pistol/CQB pit and a narrow lane for steel out to 500 yards, and still leave plenty of room for horses and for hunting undisturbed. The other is shaped such that an 800 yard lane might be possible, but I need to get out there with a protractor and check the elevations. May need to build a tall shooting platform.

Anyone from the area know how the county looks on private backyard ranges? I'd be shooting roughly once a week for a few hours and never on Sunday. But I know some counties already have regs against it. Anyone have experience in the county, positive or negative?

Re: Anyone from Stokes Co NC? Planning private range .

You can shoot on your private land as much as you want. I'm in Forsyth County and the Yadkin Valley Shooting Club's 200 yard range is in Stokes County. Our shooting hours are from noon Friday through dusk on Sunday. I've never heard of any restrictions.

Snakum, great to hear you're doing this. Next time I'm in NC I'll look you up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Snakum, great to hear you're doing this. Next time I'm in NC I'll look you up.</div></div>

Hey man! Hope civilian life is treating you well. Anytime you're in town me casa es su casa. I haven't been able to shoot more than once a month or so due to school (so I'm back to complete suckdom), but it'd be nice to have a real backyard range for when/if I gradumatate.

Thanks for the info Doc. I figured curtains of (very fast-growing) leyland cypress trees will help cut down on the noise some, especially around the pistol/CQB pit. And usually NC country neighbors are pretty cool with shooting as long as common sense is used. But increasingly, counties are adopting ordinances. So I thought I'd ask.