• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone here ever visit TDI in Ohio?

Big Dog Steel

Premium AR500 Targets
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2008
Lima, OH
www.bigdogsteel.com
I thinking of taking a class there and was wondering if anyone else had any experience with them. TDI is the Tactical defense institute, apparently.

Re: Anyone here ever visit TDI in Ohio?

Well, i haven't yet, but i am signed up for the Precision Rifle 1 course april 10-12. I can give you a writeup when i get back... Or are you wanting to take the same course?

I was there a few years ago and John puts on a pretty good show. Most instructors are current LE folks or EX Mil. folks. I took I think 3/4 and 5/6 hand gun class it was 4 days. I though the training was pretty realistic and we had an opportunity to do things that are not too common at training facilites. Lots of shooting and one needs to just for a time put aside one of the cardinal rules "do not point gun at anything you are not willing to destroy" for a while. Nice shoot housed and nice "jungle trails" with targets to shoot. Night stress shoots are pretty good, shoot housed were good I give the pistol part A+ One of my buddies took the one of the rifle classes and also gave it high marks he is an ex Forced Recon guy from the Marine Corps.
Dan

gvnwst- I want to take the tactical rifle course in July. Thought about the precision rifle though. Let me know how it is?

Dan- you mention things common to other training facilities? What other courses have you take from them or someone else? thanks!

gvnwst- I have not taken the rifle class at TDI but my buddy did and was not disappointed, he is a buddy of John the owner, and I think he also helped with the class, the FC Recon guy I mentioned in first post. I was there for pistol training and had a good training experience. The shoot houses had elevated walkways for instructors to critique student behavior and observe and give feed back on technique. The force on force was well thought out as well. I enjoyed the approach the staff took with training. The idea was if you got caught in a situation where you needed to get out and had no other options you could try the techniques they taught and leave. No macho stuff like I am going to clear my house because the door is open and I am getting home. I have taken about 8/10 classes at Frontsight, I have had a class from Ron Avery on IPSC shooting and a few classess from Final Option, with Tony Caspers. The rile stuff is rather new to me, former Bullseye shooter, IPSC pistol and the past 4 years doing 3 gun matches.
I just took the level3,4,5&6 hand gun classes at TDI. When I was there John tried to create a friendly atmosphere, he owns the property and lives on the site. I also think he provided a place to stay for the instructors he brought in for the classes. Most seem to have been current LE folks. Hope that helps.
Dan

Thanks Dan, that helps me get a better picture of your training profile. Sounds like a good facility.

osuarchitect--I will be sure to either post, or PM you with how it went.

Dan-great info, thanks.

A link to my review of TDI's 2-day <span style="font-weight: bold">Tac Rifle II</span> was posted here on this S-3 Training page, but it's since slipped down to something like page 4 or 5.

Here's the link again. This class ran in Sept. '08:

http://www.bren-ten.com/agtman/id13.html

Here's the link to my earlier review of their 3-day <span style="font-weight: bold">TR-I</span>, a basic tac carbine course, usually held in July. This one's from 2005:

http://www.bren-ten.com/agtman/id8.html

TR-II expands the drills beyond the basics of TR-I, as described in the review, but for 2009 TDI has added a <span style="font-weight: bold">TR-III</span> class. I haven't taken this one. It's scheduled for October and appears to be geared toward more intense drills with partners, including (2-man) movements and tactics.

I've enjoyed the training experiences at TDI and have learned a lot of useful concepts.

See: www.tdiohio.com/scheduleb.htm

Hope this helps ...
smile.gif