• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone here have/fabricate machine gun vehicle turrets? Totally serious.

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Random thread of the day, but I'm totally serious.

I know there are people that do basically everything on this site, so its worth asking.

I have a project that involves mounting a M249 onto a modified 4 seat military UTV via a ring turret. The roll bars/cage/structure is going to be modified to accommodate it whenever we decide what ring turret will work and is able to be had. Weight is a concern as I can't put a 700lb M66 turret on it; and I'd like something even lighter than the HMMVE ring but would be willing to consider it.

The problem right now is that anything I've been able to find is either directly from a manufacturer and they want 20k for it (yay DOD pricing!), the ring/mounts are in complete and require hard to find parts or I simply can't find what I am looking for. Ideally, someone who knew how to fabricate one and could scale it as needed would be perfect as I simply need a turret that can mount the arrow mount for the pintle, spin, manually lock and be mounted on a cage and I'm set.

Anyone?

If he will do it and Vermont is not too far to travel, Sirh is your boy.

Ah hell...just send him a stamp. Should cover it.

I know there are people that do basically everything on this site, so its worth asking.

I have a project that involves mounting a M249 onto a modified 4 seat military UTV via a ring turret. The roll bars/cage/structure is going to be modified to accommodate it whenever we decide what ring turret will work and is able to be had. Weight is a concern as I can't put a 700lb M66 turret on it; and I'd like something even lighter than the HMMVE ring but would be willing to consider it.

The problem right now is that anything I've been able to find is either directly from a manufacturer and they want 20k for it (yay DOD pricing!), the ring/mounts are in complete and require hard to find parts or I simply can't find what I am looking for. Ideally, someone who knew how to fabricate one and could scale it as needed would be perfect as I simply need a turret that can mount the arrow mount for the pintle, spin, manually lock and be mounted on a cage and I'm set.

Anyone?
    gearing up for the zombies I see

It's 1000% better than that but not giving up the entire thing yet as its a business venture. Eventually I will fill you all in on this and everyone will want to visit me :p
    You personally own a Saw?

It's 1000% better than that but not giving up the entire thing yet as its a business venture. Eventually I will fill you all in on this and everyone will want to visit me :p
    Have a retired FiatAllis engineer that could design one.
    Probably the most intelligent individual I've ever met.
    Has brains and is great with the hands as well.
    PM if you are interested.

R

Actually have been emailing them a bit after speaking with them. They're seeing what they can figure out as most of the turrets that have/can get are too large and heavy, and the current version of a SOCOM procured turret is 20k due to some very specific things it has, that I need absolutely none of.

They've been good to work with so far.

Hi,

Ok let me do some digging on my end in regards to a ready to go unit. Might have to get from International side of the ponds but I will send you a PM.

I have a pretty good idea at your "business" venture :)

Sincerely,
    Theis

If things work the way they should, I should have 2. And no, I don't mean the FN semi auto bullshit.
    That was gonna be my follow up. I went on their site a few weeks ago, and saw that paratrooper version for sale, and was totally confused when I looked at the tab and saw I was on the civilian page. I'm surprised they made a semi belt fed. I can't imagine those are selling very well.

Damn that's crazy. Are these dealer samples or pre 86?

Reactions: sodakhunter
    Hi,

SO you just need the turret? Not any of the other parts?

Sincerely,
    Theis

The door swing arm is easy and AWSINC makes a mount for the 249 that works with the standard pintle.

I know enough about turrets to be dangerous but I'm not an expert at all. What I need is something that is 40" or less diameter, non electronic with the ability to manually rotate 360 degrees as well as manually lock. The way I see the 249 mounting (correct me if theres a better way) is a complete turret ring, arrow weapons mount (thats what it was always called, its the triangular piece bolted/welded onto the turret ring that has the pintle hole in it) that I then put the AWSINC 249 mount into.

If there's a better/cheaper/lighter way, let mt know.

Weight is a factor obviously as I can't totally screw up the center of gravity and I'm not sure what reinforcement they can give it yet, but I'm trying to keep it light.

Hi,

Any of these a starting point for your intended project by chance?
    The weight factor can be helped just by "skelontizing" some of the big thick parts and such on some of the heavy systems.

https://www.bmgparts.com/mount.html

Sincerely,
    Theis

That was on of the first search hits we got.

The 548 and 66 are out due to the weight.

I actually emailed and called them about this one to see if it was 100% everything you needed short of the arrow mount but have never heard back.

https://www.bmgparts.com/products/M1151RingSet.jpg

Says 109lbs which makes me think its missing a ring or something because I don't remember them weighing that little.

Anyone know about this? May try calling again.

I saw rings and shields for sale just a few weeks ago... but I can't remember where. Not even stupid expensive. Look up the site BMGparts.com... that may be it. They have Milsurp stuff.

But a lot of it is showing up on FleaBay, of all places. I bought 3 BMG pintle mounts for .50 from eBay about 18 months ago... $70 each... SHIPPED! Scrap value. Restored two of them for myself and sold the other one for almost a grand... all for an afternoon in the bead blast cabinet.

This stuff does show up....

When I built my WW1 Armoured car, I made my own turret ring. Used the big LeBlond lathe to cut bearing races and everything. Came out great! But not super sturdy.... But for what the project is, the turret turns great on 7/16 ball bearings.

I'll do some poking around. A LOT of this stuff is showing up on the Humvees that are getting auctioned. And for the folks who want to paint them Candy Apple Red and use them to haul Bass Boats... the turrets are just junk. Try National Craigs List search... eBay... Gunbroker. If you see something 'like' what you are looking for... e-mail the seller and ask if he has what you are looking for.

IMA-USA has some of this stuff, too. But they want STUPID money for most of it.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Sir was it IMA or SARCO.

Didnt they used to have them in Shotgun News?

Nice I want to see this built!

Ill sketch up some ideas in inventor this weekend. We have been meaning to build the second version of the AR15 RZR mount, just haven't had time

That said... cheaper can definitely be found. But this site is a good reference for nomenclature and to get an idea of what's out there.

Post in Vintage, too. There are a bunch of folks up there who go to GovSurplus auctions... and buy neat things like Mk13 Stocks and Sniper Rifle Cases... those auctions have all kinds of that stuff. There is a searchable site. But I think you have to be there in person to bid. But there are some SH folks who go to those auctions, buying anything from brass to optics and chassis.

The mounts are out there!

Cheers,

Sirhr

That said... cheaper can definitely be found. But this site is a good reference for nomenclature and to get an idea of what's out there.

Post in Vintage, too. There are a bunch of folks up there who go to GovSurplus auctions... and buy neat things like Mk13 Stocks and Sniper Rifle Cases... those auctions have all kinds of that stuff. There is a searchable site. But I think you have to be there in person to bid. But there are some SH folks who go to those auctions, buying anything from brass to optics and chassis.

The mounts are out there!

Cheers,

Sirhr

BMG may come through. Spoke with him (really nice and helpful guy) and may be able to get everything all together. The fantastic news is its the aluminum turret so it actually only weighs 100lbs.

Just waiting to hear back from my guy that is dealing with the construction end of things to make sure it'll work/fit/wont have problems and I think I'll end up buying it.

Actually have been emailing them a bit after speaking with them. They're seeing what they can figure out as most of the turrets that have/can get are too large and heavy, and the current version of a SOCOM procured turret is 20k due to some very specific things it has, that I need absolutely none of.

They've been good to work with so far.

That's who I was gonna recommend, misysgroup. That's who I have to go to when I need new shit for the Ma Deuce.

BMG Parts (I think that's what it's called) sells ALL KINDS of shit, make sure to look through several topics because some things are listed twice, others once and you may find SAW mounts mixed in with BMG stuff. Anyway, they do have rings and they do have lighter ones, some complete, some not complete. The incomplete ones could probably be fabricated into complete units.

Milsysgroup extended me great pricing and they're willing to do just about anything you want including hi tech laminated armors. I want that damn 360 M2 mount with a seat, but divorce put a lot of shit on hold. Wanted to get an LMTV and turn it into a warpig, well that was my idea anyway.

Check out that BMG parts dealer though, he's likely to have what you are looking for. Actually, may behoove you to call them because they actually have more shit than they have listed. Apparently it's a gigantic warehouse where they find new shit daily. Would love to go.

Hi,

What other equipment and toys are you going to have available for the "mancations" lol?

Sincerely,
    Theis

Eventually I want to have sort of a fleet of these, yet different models of them

Other than that, not much outside of military UTVS. Fucking Polaris wouldn't even talk to me because I wasn't SAIC or someone with a .gov P-Card and no limit.

Have been working on this as well as a business venture involving this and nightvision and still have a ton of moving parts. We've managed to get through quite a few of the bottlenecks where if it didn't work out, we were dead in the water. The primary two were the government and insurance.

That's who I was gonna recommend, misysgroup. That's who I have to go to when I need new shit for the Ma Deuce.

BMG Parts (I think that's what it's called) sells ALL KINDS of shit, make sure to look through several topics because some things are listed twice, others once and you may find SAW mounts mixed in with BMG stuff. Anyway, they do have rings and they do have lighter ones, some complete, some not complete. The incomplete ones could probably be fabricated into complete units.

Milsysgroup extended me great pricing and they're willing to do just about anything you want including hi tech laminated armors. I want that damn 360 M2 mount with a seat, but divorce put a lot of shit on hold. Wanted to get an LMTV and turn it into a warpig, well that was my idea anyway.

Check out that BMG parts dealer though, he's likely to have what you are looking for. Actually, may behoove you to call them because they actually have more shit than they have listed. Apparently it's a gigantic warehouse where they find new shit daily. Would love to go.

Scroll up, BMG has what I am looking for after speaking with him. Unless the engineers find a problem with it, I think I may have gotten lucky.

Scroll up, BMG has what I am looking for after speaking with him. Unless the engineers find a problem with it, I think I may have gotten lucky.

Sorry, don't know how I missed that! If you are spending a lot of money with him or buying multiple items, make sure you ask for a discount. He'll give you a better deal if you ask. I know he has all the swing arm mounts normally used with door mounted SAWs and also has the various mounts, shields and T&E you'll want for a fixed mount, and of course your ring, tray and I assume UPA.

Hopefully when things get better and I move out of here, I'll be able to resume my pursuits and mount that M2 on something useful and not a pickup truck. I'd like an LMTV chopped into a warpig.

Good luck!

20171010_142825.jpg

BMG Parts is on the high end of the price scale for most of their stuff but they've got the inventory. Rick Shab is a standup guy and easy to work with.

Anyone?
    Can I come over and play

seriously

desert-patrol-vehicle.jpg

I had a chance to buy one of these back in about 2001 for about $9,000. Mounts and everything. Ex-SAS. The shipping would have cost more than the rig. I kick myself for not buying it... and have thought about replicating one off a Chenoweth dune buggy.

Love the ideas above German and others... And the idea of a cut down LMTV is awesome.

Here's another rig I always thought was amazing and would not be hard/expensive to build. Storage is the problem!

ee0ab1c149c307dd20791984285cc3ed--military-photos-military-history.jpg

That would have been the terror of Route One!

Cheers,

Sirhr

SARCO is another one... And yes, all used to advertise in Gun List and Shotgun News... before the Internet came along and deprived us of outhouse reading.

Cheers,

Sirhr

IIRC one of them had ring mounts for sale in the Old SGN.

I remember reading SGN and SARCO ads and dreaming about the days I could afford my very own 1911 and other toys, now most, when I can afford them, of them are illegal. Sons a bitches in DC ruin every dream.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    desert-patrol-vehicle.jpg

I had a chance to buy one of these back in about 2001 for about $9,000. Mounts and everything. Ex-SAS. The shipping would have cost more than the rig. I kick myself for not buying it... and have thought about replicating one off a Chenoweth dune buggy.

Love the ideas above German and others... And the idea of a cut down LMTV is awesome.

Here's another rig I always thought was amazing and would not be hard/expensive to build. Storage is the problem!

ee0ab1c149c307dd20791984285cc3ed--military-photos-military-history.jpg

That would have been the terror of Route One!

Cheers,

Sirhr
    My Friend, if STORAGE is your only problem, then NOT ONLY will I offer my facilities to store it/them/those, but I will also promise to love it, hug it, and call it George! And feed it... I'll feed it too! And make sure it/they/them get PLENTY of exercise.

If I have to,,,,,

I guess.....

Following from 2018!?!?!?!?!?!?

Shit, AJ and Theis are in this thread!

Fine to look up old threads, but I doubt if you are gona get an update seven years on.

Hey vjj is very, very good people here.

If he wants to follow this from 20-whenever… don’t worry about it!

Cheers!

Sirhr