• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Anyone loading for .45 Auto Rim??

LOBO

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2003
Mississippi
Looking to see if anyone is loading for .45 Auto Rim? I'm looking to use 200 gr. LSWC, 235 gr. WC, and 255 gr. LSWC bullets.

Re: Anyone loading for .45 Auto Rim??

Try 5.5 to 6.0g of unique behind 200g SWC. 4.0g of Clays also works great. Behind the 255g LWSC I was loading 11-12g of 2400 this was with a 255g Rimrock bullet with a gas check. Alot of the 45acp data will work also. All out of a 625 JM.

i know the seirra manual has alot of data for it i can check for you in a few hrs

lyman manual says for 200 grain lswc 5.0-6.8 unique 4.0-5.2 red dot 3.0-4.7 bullseye

Thanks for the help aloreman
wink.gif

I have an S&W 25-2 that I got off an internet forum or auction in 2003 and spent two days fooling around with it.

It needs either moon clips or Auto rim brass to function, but it will occasionally fire a 45acp.

I started working up, and measuring the chamber wall thickness and estimating pressure with Quickload.

The 45 Auto rim advanage for lots of power is longer over all length. 45acp is stuck at 1.275" to feed from magazines, but the revolver could have a potential Over all length of 1.63". But with brass .99" long, the bullet would protrude .64" from the brass.

A 300 gr cast bullet is long. I shot 300 gr cast bullet with 17 gr Lil'Gun, and it kicked like a mule. The bullets pulled out of the other cartridges and jammed the gun.

I eventually settled on 230 FMJ 24 gr H110 1.4" OAL as the hot load. That in an N frame 25-2 is just like a 44 mag N frame with 240 gr JHP 24 gr H110. It feels the same pulling the trigger.

But I never over came the crimp problem. I realized that I could have shortened some 45 Colt dies and and got a good roll crimp.

So all these hot handloads, I had to fire single shot.

I was probably shooting at 25kpsi.
Clark Custom Guns [no relation] converts 25-2s to 460 Rowland ~ 35,000 psi.

So I could have gone higher in pressure, if I could have dealt with the recoil... story of my life with handguns.

LOBO
You made me have to drag out and dig through one of my pistol bags I hadn't been into in a long time.

In Rem .45 Auto Rim brass I've been using a 200 gr LSWC with either 5.4gr HP-38 or 4.8gr VV N-320. Both are nice paper punching loads out to 25 yds or so. (Heavy taper crimp)

Oregon Trails makes a nice 200gr RFN for the Cowboy shooters that also works nicely in the Rem .45 AR brass. Roll crimp into the crimping groove. 5.4gr HP-38 and standard pistol primers of your favorite flavor.

Thanks for the post. I've been shooting Rifle almost exclusively for the last several years, now I'm going to have to exercize the 25-2 and the 625-2.

Paul