• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Anyone shot any Q company 30cal silencers

I've seen 2 youtube videos where the full nelson backed off the rifle and caused issues. I personally would stay away from their direct thread since I don't plan on tapering all my barrels, but there quick attach offerings seem well thought out.

Would this picture I saw today represent the quality of the titanium welds that Q is currently shipping? It was posted over a year ago, so I wasn't sure if it was a prototype, but it's the only photo I could find that showed bare welds. The recent thread about titanium weld color quality has made me a bit concerned about this.
DSC00613.gif

I appreciate that you don't Ray.
That's why TBAC and SilencerCo (one material suppressors like the Saker and Omega #K), along with Area 419, will continue to get my business.
The Qs have a conical shape to their exit hole, and if the EDM bore cuts into that, makes it asymmetrical.
Just like you don't want the crown of your barrel to have imperfections, I suspect that this would also have a negative effect on accuracy.
TBAC silencers are great and some of my favorites available. But, if you weld and don't EDM the bores relative to the mount, it's never as straight as it could be.

straighter on the bore and body than others I've tested. Even the EDM ones with the exit hole intact unlike others. When built right EDM is not needed.

wYArzxM.jpg

Pretty straight for a 9" can

Reactions: cruze5
At 1 thou of runout, I don't believe there really isn't much room for improvement, at least on a mass production scale.

Would this picture I saw today represent the quality of the titanium welds that Q is currently shipping? It was posted over a year ago, so I wasn't sure if it was a prototype, but it's the only photo I could find that showed bare welds. The recent thread about titanium weld color quality has made me a bit concerned about this.
DSC00613.gif
Their comments do not reflect the results of NASA's testing and studies...

We build the the strongest Titanium silencers available...that's why we don't have to use outer tubes to hold the silencers together. #no338recallforQ

Reactions: JeffLebowski
straighter on the bore and body than others I've tested. Even the EDM ones with the exit hole intact unlike others. When built right EDM is not needed.

wYArzxM.jpg

Pretty straight for a 9" can
You never have to EDM, but it's always straighter if you do. It gives the user better dispersion and less zero-shirt. If you state otherwise, you are being dishonest.

TBAC silencers are better than average, but they could be much better. You paint, use an outer tube, use 90 degree shoulders, you don't EDM, you use 1.5" diameter, you shim your muzzle brakes, etc. Those are ALL things that if improved will provide a better product for your valued customer. It's just fact. Change my mind...

Q offer the best precision rife silencers in the world. 100%

At 1 thou of runout, I don't believe there really isn't much room for improvement, at least on a mass production scale.
Without a tapered muzzle, you are going to get a hell of a lot more runout on a different fixture or your muzzle threads. Not EDM'ing is worse in every single way. For what they charge, they should EDM.

Without a tapered muzzle, you are going to get a hell of a lot more runout on a different fixture or your muzzle threads. Not EDM'ing is worse in every single way. For what they charge, they should EDM.
Which is it? Not EDMing or non tapered muzzle? If I am reading you correctly, EDMing would serve zero purpose if it gets them the same runout without a tapered shoulder.

As soon as there is a standard for tapered muzzles that people actually use and rifle manufacturers / gunsmiths can put on (and not screw up worse than they screw up standard threads), we will change the CB brake program to make those too. It's an easier change on our side than it will be for most of them. The CB brake to Ultra interface has always been a tapered shoulder.

It's sort of a bizarre criticism of can performance to say that it connects to 99.9999% of currently threaded rifles.

You paint, use an outer tube, use 90 degree shoulders, you use 1.5" diameter, you shim your muzzle brakes, etc. Those are ALL things that if improved will provide a better product for your valued customer.
On the small chance this doesn't turn into a pissing contest between your two companies, I'd like to learn something about suppressors from this thread. What is wrong with the things you mentioned? I'm extremely uneducated on suppressor construction so I'd love to learn.

Axially symmetric brakes are less effective at a given size than ones with left/right ports, according to all the data and testing I've ever seen (e.g. Cal Zant's brake test from several years ago). So we offer a brake with very good braking and it has to be timed. We also have a flash hider that does not need timing, and we have made no-timing-required brakes for certain users.

Which is it? Not EDMing or non tapered muzzle? If I am reading you correctly, EDMing would serve zero purpose if it gets them the same runout without a tapered shoulder.
It's both. Taper is better for consistency. EDM is the expensive, but the straightest.

As soon as there is a standard for tapered muzzles that people actually use and rifle manufacturers / gunsmiths can put on (and not screw up worse than they screw up standard threads), we will change the CB brake program to make those too. It's an easier change on our side than it will be for most of them. The CB brake to Ultra interface has always been a tapered shoulder.

It's sort of a bizarre criticism of can performance to say that it connects to 99.9999% of currently threaded rifles.
Obviously you know it is better. Glad to hear. So, just change it and give your customers a better solution.

We open source the taper muzzle drawings on liveQordie.com You guys are welcomed and encouraged to use them. And you should. It's the taper we first did at AAC on the Honey Badger, then standardized at Sig, and now at Q. HK has even gone to it for their new rifle for the German military.

Those shims you are using causes misaligning tolerance stack.

Be a leader...

Axially symmetric brakes are less effective at a given size than ones with left/right ports, according to all the data and testing I've ever seen (e.g. Cal Zant's brake test from several years ago). So we offer a brake with very good braking and it has to be timed. We also have a flash hider that does not need timing, and we have made no-timing-required brakes for certain users.
Depends on design actually. But either way, are you trying to reduce the most recoil or provide the best dispersion (accuracy)?

On the small chance this doesn't turn into a pissing contest between your two companies, I'd like to learn something about suppressors from this thread. What is wrong with the things you mentioned? I'm extremely uneducated on suppressor construction so I'd love to learn.
Sure. Paint scratches and burns off, but it is cheap, so mfg.'s use it. We use PVD, it doesn't burn or scratch off, but it costs $50 to apply to each silencer. Taper muzzle mounts provide alignment and keep silencers tight, it's also reverse compatible with basic 90 degee muzzles. Small diameters cause high pressures and temperatures and much more blow back and are louder, because of much smaller internal volumes. Smaller diameter silencers with similar material and construction are far less durable bc of increase pressure and temperatures. Non EDM bores are not as straight. Outer tubes are added for additional strength, it makes silencer unnecessarily heavier.

I hear a lot of technical buzz words that sound nice in theory, but have yet to see the proof of those techniques helping your products. The final result is what matters. TBAC is well known for their precision suppressors, so I'm not sure how telling them what they're doing wrong helps Q products.

Mr Brittingham, what should I expect out of your suppressors in the end? What is the maximum runout I can expect to measure inside and outside? What do you consider acceptable in titanium weld color quality?

Sure. Paint scratches and burns off, but it is cheap, so mfg.'s use it. We use PVD, it doesn't burn or scratch off, but it costs $50 to apply to each silencer. Taper muzzle mounts provide alignment and keep silencers tight, it's also reverse compatible with basic 90 degee muzzles. Small diameters cause high pressures and temperatures and much more blow back and are louder, because of much smaller internal volumes. Smaller diameter silencers with similar material and construction are far less durable bc of increase pressure and temperatures. Non EDM bores are not as straight. Outer tubes are added for additional strength, it makes silencer unnecessarily heavier.
I assume by paint you're referring to the CeraKote they use on their suppressors. I know TBAC use the CB mount system to achieve a tapered mount, so I guess that's a non-issue. Is blowback relevant to bolt action rifles? Because that seems to be the almost exclusive market for TBAC suppressors. As far as the other things you mentioned, how does that translate to observable results for the costumer? I'd like to see side-by-side tests of similar length TBAC and Q suppressors to show the differences if at all possible.

I hope my curiosity isn't coming off as confrontational. I have a few TBAC suppressors on order but I have more money and I'm not opposed to adding a suppressor from another manufacturer to the collection.

Reactions: FishinGuns
I assume by paint you're referring to the CeraKote they use on their suppressors. I know TBAC use the CB mount system to achieve a tapered mount, so I guess that's a non-issue. Is blowback relevant to bolt action rifles? Because that seems to be the almost exclusive market for TBAC suppressors. As far as the other things you mentioned, how does that translate to observable results for the costumer? I'd like to see side-by-side tests of similar length TBAC and Q suppressors to show the differences if at all possible.

I hope my curiosity isn't coming off as confrontational. I have a few TBAC suppressors on order but I have more money and I'm not opposed to adding a suppressor from another manufacturer to the collection.
CB non-issue? The attachment's aren't tapered, they use 90 degree and shims. They put the threads in front of the taper, so threads carbon up...not if you put the threads behind the taper. Blow back is related mostly to gas guns, but heat and pressure are not exclusive to gas guns.

Translation is as stated above. Less consistency with accuracy, dispersion, zero-shift, scratches and wear, etc.

I hear a lot of technical buzz words that sound nice in theory, but have yet to see the proof of those techniques helping your products. The final result is what matters. TBAC is well known for their precision suppressors, so I'm not sure how telling them what they're doing wrong helps Q products.

Mr Brittingham, what should I expect out of your suppressors in the end? What is the maximum runout I can expect to measure inside and outside? What do you consider acceptable in titanium weld color quality?
Because it's a comparison to features?

Runout should be measured at the bore.

Welding color is is not critical to our product or procedure.

Less consistency with accuracy, dispersion, zero-shift, scratches and wear, etc.
There are probably 6 companies you can challenge using these criteria, but TBAC actually holds up very well with all of them

Here's two examples where the taper design sucks ass until everyone in the world starts using them. At the timestamps below, the cans become loose causing issues. The vso gun channel later has a strike with a round at the end of the video. Q cans could use a revision, hopefully they take it as constructive criticism and build something great.

at 8:37
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy0vTldzF5c
at 2:38

Here's two examples where the taper design sucks ass until everyone in the world starts using them. At the timestamps below, the cans become loose causing issues. The vso gun channel later has a strike with a round at the end of the video. Q cans could use a revision, hopefully they take it as constructive criticism and build something great.

at 8:37
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy0vTldzF5c
at 2:38

How's that the taper's fault? That's a 90 degree shoulder and no loc-tite. If the barrel were tapered, it would never come loose.

Reactions: esw004
Is the trash panda full auto rated? Capitol armory says no. I couldn’t find specifically stated yes or no on the website. After reading that the trash panda was all titanium, I am really curious how it handles the extreme heat of sustained high rates of fire. If it isn’t, the trash panda vs omega comparison is a little skewed. One things for sure, after seeing this thread and some of the Instagram posts out there, q will never get a dime of my money. Humility goes a long way for me.

Taper sucks ass until every barrel manufacturer starts using them. 90 degree shoulder and taper suppressors just don't go well together based on the two videos. They require constant checking of the little threads that are engaged to keep them on. Maybe make some no taper suppressors with better welds?

One things for sure, after seeing this thread and some of the Instagram posts out there, q will never get a dime of my money. Humility goes a long way for me.
I'm trying to keep an open mind so I'll chalk it up to him having a bad day. The tone certainly comes off as abrasive though and I agree with you on the humility point.

I'm trying to keep an open mind so I'll chalk it up to him having a bad day. The tone certainly comes off as abrasive though and I agree with you on the humility point.
Well the omega vs trash panda Instagram post is just silly and that wasn’t today. I see a pattern. I can’t take someone seriously when it’s just said that the omega is just glue and misc materials. Those misc materials include titanium and stellite. For being such an inferior product, silencerco sure did sell a lot of them.

Sounds to me like Q makes a fine product if you are willing to have a custom tapered muzzle barrel made for all of your guns. Until tapered muzzles become standard, TBAC will continue to get my money. The Q may be as good or better, but it doesn't fit most guns on the market, factory or custom.

i have a ultra 7 on 6 of my rifles. from 223 to 300WM.

top rated customer support. and everyone at the range says my suppressor is quieter than others they have heard. i was sold on their eagerness to help in requesting assistance in the purchase. and reviews on THIS site.

the only frustrating part has been waiting on the CB mounts to be available.

Last edited:
Hmm. This thread is interesting. I don't know @Kevin Brittingham from a hole in the wall, I don't know Q company, but from this thread alone, its OBVIOUS the difference in demeanor and attitude that Kevin displays vs the TBAC guys that post here.

Maybe @Kevin Brittingham owns the company? Maybe he's just a fanboy? Either way, if I was Q, I'd politely ask him to tone it down because its already cost them one customer.

I don't give my money to a-whole bros that stick around just to stir the pot.

Their comments do not reflect the results of NASA's testing and studies...

We build the the strongest Titanium silencers available...that's why we don't have to use outer tubes to hold the silencers together. #no338recallforQ

Kevin, can you please explicitly address the picture shown above with welds showing high levels of oxidation?

1. Are those welds representative of your current product?
2. Do you disagree with the statement that oxidation in titanium welds CAN have a negative impact on the integrity of the weld?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: rwest309
Hmm. This thread is interesting. I don't know @Kevin Brittingham from a hole in the wall, I don't know Q company, but from this thread alone, its OBVIOUS the difference in demeanor and attitude that Kevin displays vs the TBAC guys that post here.

Maybe @Kevin Brittingham owns the company? Maybe he's just a fanboy? Either way, if I was Q, I'd politely ask him to tone it down because its already cost them one customer.

I don't give my money to a-whole bros that stick around just to stir the pot.

He owns the company and about four seconds of searching would have told you that. I don’t own any Q cans, but as an observer and once-was firearms journalist, I feel safe in saying that Kevin brought the industry out of the 80’s when he formed AAC, built some world class suppressors (rifle that killed Bin Laden was wearing one of his AAC M4-2000 cans), and started calling out other manufacturers for false claims. All of a sudden, the guys claiming “mil spec tested,” “SOCOM approved,” “best in class flash suppression,” “fully welded Inconel core”; got called the fuck out on their bullshit with open and documented testing. So, if you like not having a painted tube full of washers, aircraft engine parts, that is advertised with literal and provable lies, thank Kevin. If you like fully welded cores that truly stand up to SOCOM testing, thank Kevin. If you can’t look past a man’s personality to the quality of the inanimate objects that he produces, find a more touchy feely suppressor company CEO to base your buying decisions upon. Myself, I want a Q Erector and Half Nelson pretty bad. Also, TBAC cans are made in the best state and Zack is a pretty cool, smart dude.

Examples:

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10473

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9772

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33075&start=75

922DE499-AB38-461D-B780-46C1F50A664D.jpeg

I have personally shot the full and half Nelson. Very very quiet cans and compared to my omega on the same 700 POI shift almost didn’t exist the half Nelson was louder than my omega but the full was quieter. I’m conclusion very nice cans a little on the heavy side but that was my only complaint.

Sorry about getting backordered on some CB brakes. We had an unexpected surge of demand for brakes all of a sudden; hope that means everyone's building new rifles this spring. We should have it sorted out shortly and not have it happen again.

As far as TBAC's policy on the 419 brakes, we don't officially endorse their use with our cans, but they don't automatically invalidate the suppressor warranty either. If something happens and it's the suppressor's fault, we cover it, if it's a problem caused by the 419 brake, we would not automatically cover it, since it's a part out of our control. For more questions on that, please give me a call.

Myself, I want a Q Erector and Half Nelson pretty bad.

Were you aware of the SilencerShop promo on those this past weekend? $1274 including tax stamps & transfer through a SilencerShop Dealer. I wasn't really looking for the half nelson but couldn't resist the combo price.

Not to divert this thread even more. I could even credit Kevin with starting the widespread appeal and acceptance of suppressors. His online presence and the attractive marketing of aac suppressors introduced them to a whole new segment of the population. Having spoken with him briefly at a silencertests.com shoot in Commerce Georgia many years ago, he’s even quite likeable. Though his online presence does rub some people the wrong way. It’s been that way for 15+ years. I’m rather disappointed with what AAC has turned into since he left. Nothing new and innovative. Love him or hate him, he is definitely an innovator.

I don’t own any Q suppressors. I probably will some day, these things are addictive. But I love my TBAC Ultra 9, and TD22 and it’s astounding the progress that has been made comparing them to my first Joe Gaddini built Omega 30, and Warlock. Also compared to the SDN-6 and original pilot. I still love shooting that Omega 30. Old tech, weighs a ton, shifts a lot, and sounds fantastic! Groups wonderfully!

I seriously doubt anyone is going to regret purchasing an Ultra 9. It flat out works and does everything they advertise! I’m sure the Q does as well. But, I doubt I’d be able to take advantage of any differences in performance and I doubt the difference is dramatic as comparing the old Omega or SDN6 to the TBAC. Especially on a bolt gun... still, doesn’t mean I won’t buy one some day.

DSC00613.gif

Looks like ONE weld is okay...

Reactions: jeep94