• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Anyone use a regular duplex reticle on their scope

glockophile

Private
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2009
Underground bunker! Indiana
Anyone here use a regular duplex reticle on their scope versus a mil dot or some other range finding type? If so why? Trying to decide on a scope and am leaning towards a traditional duplex reticle.

Re: Anyone use a regular duplex reticle on their scope

A duplex is deadly 400yds and less. Nothing wrong with it if you know how to calibrate it and understand Point blank ZERO if you plan on shooting unknown distance under 400yds.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Precise1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone here use a regular duplex reticle on their scope versus a mil dot or some other range finding type? If so why? Trying to decide on a scope and am leaning towards a traditional duplex reticle. </div></div>

I'll ask you the same question, leaning towards a duplex...why?

Range finding is lower on the list of things to use a mil or MOA based reticle for. Hold overs/unders and for wind holds as well as leads for movers are what make a mil or MOA based reticle more useful for me.

I use it on my 0.22 Hornet but all my competition long range shooting rifles are equipped with Mil-Dot for the reasons above mentioned and for movers

Good Luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Precise1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trying to decide on a scope and am leaning towards a traditional duplex reticle. </div></div>

A MilDot reticle can do everything a duplex can, but better. A MilDot can do things a duplex can't (i.e. accurate ranging).

While it IS possible to range with a duplex reticle its far from as accurate as a mildot.

Holdovers and windage holds are a "guesstimate" with a duplex.

Go with a Mil reticle and mil turrets or a MOA reticle and MOA turrets. That way if you ever take an advanced tactical rifle class you won't be left in the dust. I have seen students with duplex reticles struggle in basic and advanced classes because of the limitations listed above.