• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Anyone with advice on rugers warranty service?

The_Duke

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
macon,ms
Hey guys, I could use some advice please. I have a ruger mkIII that recently stopped working, I was plinking the other day and all of the sudden pull the trigger and nothing. I called ruger to see if they would cover it (it was bought new in august/11, maybe 75 rounds through it) and was told to send it back to them and they would asses it to see if it would be covered. I have a feeling its probly an easy fix but haven't taken it apart in case IS something they need to take care of. Anyway, has anybody dealt with ruger on warranty issues before? Some companys are stingy, some will go a long way to cover you. If there's a chance they wouldn't cover it I would jus as soon fix it myself and not be stuck with 2 overnight shipping fees as well as a gunsmiths bill. A little longwinded but if anybody has any input it would be appreciated

Re: Anyone with advice on rugers warranty service?

did you try more rds? maybe you got a dud. heh

did you clear the gun?

I just called in about my ruger and I was extra nice on the phone. They sent UPS to pick it up. No charge to me
smile.gif

Sweet talk the ladies.

The very few times I have ever had to send a Ruger firearm in for a customer (once for myself) the service was stellar. Turnaround was very quick and Ruger went well beyond what was necessary on a couple occasions (refinished the gun in one case, replaced some worn grips on another). Just be aware that if you have installed any aftermarket parts, they will remove them and bring the gun back to factory condition, so best practice is to pull any non-factory stuff off before sending it in.

As for your issue, definitely try a couple cartridges through there. Is the rim getting a good deep indentation? Is it getting marked by the firing pin at all? Is the bolt going all the way into battery? Did you clean the firearm after buying it but before shooting it? A little bit of crud keeping the bolt from going all the way forward can cause the problem you described. So could a bit of debris in the firing pin channel. The preservative oil and residual machining oils on a new gun are not intended to lubricate and can get stiff and gummy when combined with fouling. First thing I'd do is a complete teardown and deep cleaning. Dirt is the leading cause of (non-ammunition-related) malfunctions in semi-auto rimfires.

Oh, if you do need to send it in and can't get Ruger to cover the shipping, check with an FFL. Many times they can ship for far cheaper than you.

Thanks guys, ill take apart and make sure crud isn't the issue, but there is no pressure on the trigger. It pulls all the way back with no resistance at all, like its not being cocked. Ruger did tell me to save my reciept and if it was a warranty issue they would refund my shipping costs

Have dealt with Ruger a few times for issues with both their Mini-14, as well as their P345. Was very satisfied with the turn around times, customer service etc. They were very easy to work with. The only pain in the backside is that you have to send the semi-auto pistols to their shop in Arizona. I am within spitting distance of their main shop in NH, so it was a bummer to have to pay alittle extra for shipping. But I had the P345 back w/in 2 weeks.

they called me today with an update and said I should have it by end of next week
smile.gif

About 10 years ago a friend traded an old boat for a bunch of guns, and one of them was a 44 SA revolver that had seen better days.

The cyl seemed like it had too much play it it so he sent it to Ruger for a safety check.

About 3 weeks later when he got it back from Ruger it had a new barrel,cyl,and a few other parts. Total cost to him, - return shipping charge!

Had a buddy just send back a LC9 twice at no cost including shipping. After second time he received a new gun Customer Service is exceptional with fast turn around.

That's the biggest thing I don't like about ruger. I have asked them what their warrant is and they say "we stand behind our products". Well I put it to the test. I sent in a ruger 77mkII that I had for about 10 years. It was one of the skeletonized synthetic stocks with stainless receiver and barrel. Like I said above they stated to me that they stand behind their products. The problem with the stock was that it would turn a white color if it sat loo long without oil on it. Yes I had to oil a synthetic stock. I send it in with a note explaining the issue. I got a call a few days later and they told me that there was a defect in the majority of the skeletonized stocks sold back then and that is why they changed the stock style on the newer models. So what did they do for me? The gave me an option of spending $150-$200 for a new stock or they could put some oil on it and send it back. I know it was 10 years old but don't tell me there was a defect that they knew about and then they don't take care of it. That was my last ruger until the sr22 pistol came out. I just had to get one to try it out.

I screwed up the disassemble and called them. They had a tech call me about an hour or so latter and it was this weird, hold the gun this was, pull & hold the trigger, smack the barrel end on something, boom it works. Something about I got something disconnected from something.

freaking right in my book

I had a ruger MKIII that the trigger would not reset foward after the shot, right out of the box. Put about 400 rounds to see if it would clear up. It did not. Called Ruger and explained the problem to them. They sent a shipping label and I had the pistol back in seven working days. They installed what they called a Match trigger and thanked me for purchasing Ruger products. It is still one of the sweetest .22 triggers I have shot.

I sent a P944 da/sa special edition in because I was not happy with the barrel rest, the slide slack and the internal decocker rattling noise. I paid overnight freight, ups of about 70 bucks. Two months later I received my P-944 back with a whole new upper. No rattle noise, solid as nails through wood, slide to frame fit. And a slide to muzzle fit tighter than most 1911 bushings to barrel fit. All in all I was blown away. It is such a reliable pistol now and Ruger managed to blow away any doubts I had in their ability to make a pistol. Gun = 350 at scheels sporting goods, + 70 in shipping. Total invested 420 for a pistol that honestly has become my favorite 40. My 40's include Glock 22 $450, sig 226 $780. Only reason I don't use it for steel is because so many parts readily available for glock. But for stock its my straightest shooting easiest on the wrist 40. So yeah I would say use their warranty services they take an off the shelf pistol and make me feel like i dropped 400 in gunsmith services on it for 70 bucks in shipping.