• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Applied Ballistics Mobile App

Absolutely,,,,and if a person was to do this then above all else the said shooter must re Zero his Turrets straight away so as not to make a mess of his next set of adjustments.

And as if we don't have enough to remember, Oh well never mind.

John

We were doing this, this past week. You don't mess with the turrets, you just need to find a good hold over. You can start a serious mess here.

We were doing this, this past week. You don't mess with the turrets, you just need to find a good hold over. You can start a serious mess here.

So what you are doing is KY Windage Yes, well that would make more sence wouldn't it andkeep it simple

Thanks for that Doc,

John

Last edited:
Applied Ballistics Mobile App

Deleted....
CJW

Last edited:
When using the BootLoader to update the Firmware, or when using the Profile Loader you are going to be asked to select a com port. In response to a number of emails I am going to show you how to find this comport for your AB Kestrel with Bluetooth. Its very very easy. This is in response to a couple of people who have had issues connecting to update firmware or upload a weapons profile. It worked for them, so hopefully it will help others too!

Step 1: In the search bar for the start menu simply type Bluetooth.
Step 2: Double Click view devices and printers.

BT1.png

Step3: Double click on your kestrel (it should read K4### Indicating model number. So a 4500 will say K4500)

BT2.png

Step4: Once you are in the devices properties its going to have a hardware tab. Click it

BT3.png

Step5: You will see the ComPort in the description it will say (Com 4) or (Com5)

BT4.png

If you ever have trouble with the bootloader, or profile loader, and it seems like its not communicating properly or wont connect this could be the culprit. So make sure you have the correct comport when you are connecting to your kestrel.

LOL... iPhone app is rated 17+ for "Frequent/Intense Realistic Violence." I don't think Apple gets it...

Any possibility of an iPad app? My iPad Mini in a LifeProof case is my go-to ballistic calculating device. Thanks!

Regarding to new IOS AB. Is ir possible in metric mode in HUD change windage with step 0.5 m/s like in Shooter?

Nice... iphone users getting some love.

I found a little bug: I have mils selected everywhere, on the drop chart it reports the correct mils for drop, but the chart headers still say (moa).

It was pretty entertaining that Apple made us put that selection of ratings on the app...

If you guys continue to find little things, please let us know and we'll get those issues addressed.

Thanks!

Just bought the AB Mobile app for Android. Being a previous Shooter user, I'd like to carry the info over to AB Mobile. Is there a corresponding website I can access to enter the info via PC and keyboard?

Just bought the AB Mobile app for Android. Being a previous Shooter user, I'd like to carry the info over to AB Mobile. Is there a corresponding website I can access to enter the info via PC and keyboard?

As far as I know you can't import from shooter to AB

Understood. Read in a few places in the app that there seemed to be a web interface available to where I could simply type in the new variables on the PC and sync it back to AB Mobile. Haven't found any link though...

Updated: I just logged into the shooter website and accomplished this. Extracted the Shooter profiles from the browser and manually typed them into AB Mobile. Life is good.

Last edited:
Hi Bryan, i cant edit or delete firearms and/or ammo by touching and holding the name of the firearm in the library listing. I have iPhone and Ipad. Thank you

Bryan, to edit or delete you must hold and move to the left the name in the library.

In order to edit any rifle or ammo, you must hold and drag to the left on the name of the selection that you want to edit. That's the basic methodology that iOS employs versus Android.

Just got the iPhone version. Looking for the H59 reticle. Is it not available in the iPhone version, or am I missing something?
Thanks.

Thank you for the response. That's bad news.
I doubt I'm the only one with this issue. Hopefully there are plenty of others who want to see the Horus reticles in this app.
I shoot the H59 exclusively for long range after investing in an S&B 3-20 with H59 that I use on 3 different rifles. If my assumption that Horus is reluctant to grant permission to use their reticles in this app is correct, do you think enough people lobbying Horus for inclusion of their reticles would make a difference?

Thank you for the response. That's bad news.
I doubt I'm the only one with this issue. Hopefully there are plenty of others who want to see the Horus reticles in this app.
I shoot the H59 exclusively for long range after investing in an S&B 3-20 with H59 that I use on 3 different rifles. If my assumption that Horus is reluctant to grant permission to use their reticles in this app is correct, do you think enough people lobbying Horus for inclusion of their reticles would make a difference?
If people should be lobbying horus for anything... it would be to get out of the business completely. ;)

DocUSMC, Bryan, or anyone - I've searched and not found answers to this issue:

- Wind Azimuth (aka direction) doesn't seem to be utilized via Bluetooth in my Android AB app (I verified that the Kestrel is properly feeding wind azimuth via Bluetooth in the DRS Ventus Android application)

- Is this is intentional due to the variable nature of azimuth?

- Any consideration to offering the shooter a 2min average azimuth and/or 2min average gust user toggle on/off feature?

BTW-I also ops tested another ballistics app that strangely enough doesn't use the wind azimuth either.

DocUSMC, Bryan, or anyone - I've searched and not found answers to this issue:

- Wind Azimuth (aka direction) doesn't seem to be utilized via Bluetooth in my Android AB app (I verified that the Kestrel is properly feeding wind azimuth via Bluetooth in the DRS Ventus Android application)

- Is this is intentional due to the variable nature of azimuth?

- Any consideration to offering the shooter a 2min average azimuth and/or 2min average gust user toggle on/off feature?

BTW-I also ops tested another ballistics app that strangely enough doesn't use the wind azimuth either.

Just a quick question. Don't take this the wrong way. 1. Have you checked the compass calibration lately, or have you opened the battery door and need to redo it. 2. When your on the AB side of the kestrel, and you are up and running. Select the wind, and push the button with the camera symbol on it. This will turn the wind on constant mode. <-- Check those two and let me know how it goes.

Doc, I will do that. But just to be clear:
- I am getting wind magnitude into AB but no azimuth
- Ventus is receiving both magnitude & azimuth

Last edited:
AB 1.1.3 for Android

While I've got you. Can you comment on the accuracy of using environmentals (temp, pressure, humidity) from device (ie S4 or S5) compared to Kestrel ?

Thanks.

yeah, its ok, but you have to do some work to get it right. The device itself isn't accurate but its close. However it cant have been sitting in a car, in a bag, in your pocket, it has to be the same temp as the environment. The S5 is better than the S4 at this. But I have seen that even handling it too much will throw it off.

On that app where it says wind angle you are getting 0?

Copy all re: device readings. May give it a try...or may just get the 4500 with AB. However, I had envisioned putting my 4500NV w/BT on a vane for range use.

Here's a few pix:
- The wind magnitude gets populated along with all other atmospherics...except wind angle
- I tried both setting and not setting a heading in the Kestrel (ie "point down the runway or range" as well as manually typing in a magentic heading to match the target "look angle" in the AB application)
- I tried changing the target wind direction from 360 to 090...no effect

Ideas?

Without a target selected, there is nothing displayed in the wind angle field, even though a heading for "runway/range" was input into Kestrel
2ery2ehy.jpg

du7ezepe.jpg

With a target selected, the wind angle field constantly displays the "preset" angle that is associated with any given target

yqajytur.jpg

I know by using the Ventus Android App this Kestrel is transmitting wind direction (which can presumably be used to derive wind angle). Is anyone actually getting this to work?

BTW-I queried the developer of another fairly well known Ballistic App (with a Red Star on the icon)...I ran into same issue with his App and he replied "Sorry, but Kestrel do [sic] not transmits [sic] wind direction via bluetooth" which I took to mean his app did not UTILIZE wind direction.

Last edited:
i am having problems with the auto populate function for atmosphere in ios.

i am having problems with the auto populate function for atmosphere in ios.

We believe that we have addressed the issue and we pushed out a new version to Apple. It's a couple of days though for the Apple review process to get the new version up online.

We believe that we have addressed the issue and we pushed out a new version to Apple. It's a couple of days though for the Apple review process to get the new version up online.

Have you addressed any of the metric related issues in the next update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do I access the in app custom drag purchases? I can't seem to find them.

Sent from my SCH-I500
here's how I did it, but YMMV:

Add a bullet from the custom library, and then select a custom drag profile (ie change it from G1 or G7)...this will take you to the purchase option

Screen shots below:
muhu4y5y.jpg

9apabu5u.jpg

here's how I did it, but YMMV:

Add a bullet from the custom library, and then select a custom drag profile (ie change it from G1 or G7)...this will take you to the purchase option

Screen shots below:
muhu4y5y.jpg

9apabu5u.jpg

Excellent! Thank you.
ETA: Figured it out.

Sent from my SCH-I500

Last edited:
I was introduced to AB by Caylen Wojcik at a recent Magpul precision rifle class, and am running it on a Nexus 7 tablet, supported by a Kestrel 2500. Great program and the results were impressively accurate. Thanks!

I have a question about atmospheric density. I understand why this is important, but don't quite follow why altitude needs to be considered. Using density altitude, you are supplying altitude and temperature. With the Kestrel, you are supplying your altitude and inputting an adjusted barometric pressure and temperature.

I'm sure I am missing something, but it seems like leaving the Kestrel set for sea level and supplying the "raw" barometric pressure and temperature should be sufficient, and avoid the problem of estimating altitude. Is this "altitude independent" calculation appropriate, and if not, why not?

Thanks!

Bryan was kind enough to respond to an email from me on this subject. He said it was completely fine to use unadjusted station pressure (barometric pressure with altitude set at sea level) and temperature, and avoid any altitude input or adjustment. That keeps things pretty simple using Applied Ballistics and a Kestrel 2500!

By putting in the Altitude after entering the Baro will change things quite a lot and will stuff up the final solution, Just keep it simple

John