• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Applied Ballistics Mobile App

Not a problem. I would also like to say, once the next generation of software gets to you guys. Its going to be incredible. Those who are already using the software are in for a real treat.

That's great. I'm using Shooter with excellent results so far. Like I said, I would really like the truing ability. It's like having a digital logbook.

If I drop $125 on this version, will the next generation be a simple update at reduced cost? Or will it be another full on purchase?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Technically updates are free... However it doesn't take a genius to figure out there's no money in that.

That's why they add one or two features that should of just been an update, call it slightly different and bam, you got the tactical version that's a separate purchase and triple the cost!

Can't wait for the elite operator version!

I hear what you're sayin, but if you're a software developer, you gotta stay in business. A lot of time, money, and expertise go into development of this stuff. That can't be for free.

Some of the panels I work with have all the software embedded in them. There is software upgrades that must be unlocked with a software key. The shit is already in the panel, but in order to access it, the customer has to pay big bucks. You don't even get a box with a disc, just a key to unlock.

Check your facts again, Android sells more smart phones than apple
I don't want to get in a pissing contest with you over silly things but the magnitude of Iphone models that have been sold and are currently in use from the original to the Iphone introduced in 2007 all the way to the 3 models currently being sold in 2014 dwarf total phones in use by any individual company.
Even the current sales data is questionable because they do not combine all the current Iphone models as Iphones sold when comparing sales.
In any event Iphones are a big chunk of the market to just ignore

Alright so I am going to share this with you guys, its one of the features you can expect in the future. They have added the ability to share with the Kestrel Bluetooth Model directly. What this does is allow you to move your weapons profile into the kestrel without the need of the PC Software. Also this will give you a first look at an Extremely Streamlined new version of Applied Ballistics you will see in the future. Its called Kestrel Companion. Its actually really neat. I will include a couple screen shots for you guys. What it does, is it looks at the current weapon profile you have loaded on the Kestrel AB Model. It then gives you a slider on the right. That slider allows you to quickly adjust your range. After about 3 seconds it posts the windage and elevation adjustments for that weapon profile. Something to note here, it gives you real time data for weather as you will see, it also gives you some of the weapon and profile data. It is Bluetooth linked in to the kestrel, it is one screen, and requires you to have a weapons profile on the kestrel. This is easy to accomplish with the new update that will be coming out. That update allows you to upload a weapons profile from the AB Tactical software. So if you are in the field, and you need to make rapid adjustments you make those changes. With the push of one button it uploads the new data, and your good to go. I will upload a screen shot showing the new feature you will see it says " BTW this is another good reason to have the weather vane mount.

This is an add in from earlier showing targeting adjustments
Screenshot_2014_05_21_12_38_33.png

This is one of the new features coming in the update. You will see where it says Upload Profile To Device. This allows you to upload the weapons profile you have created to the kestrel. Eliminating the need to do it by hand or with a PC.
Screenshot_2014_05_21_14_38_05.png

This is the new Companion software to go along with AB and the Kestrel. You can see it shows your weather data on the bottom, as well as some of the weapon and ammo profile components. This is a very fast range card so to speak. It gives you a slider on the right, that slider is where you set the range. Then it gives you the adjustments you need to make for that range. It takes my phone all of about 3 seconds to make each calculation change, and I can see this is being incredibly usefull. Especially if you just need a quick table for hunting. It uses the current weapons profile in use on the Kestrel. So to change it, all you do is change your weapons profile on the meter. Essentially you can make, and program profiles in AB Tactical, and streamline them with the ballistics calculator. Then you can this as a super fast simplified range card. Something else to notice, you will see that my zero is 300m and at 300m it has me at -0.06. This is because I actually captured the weather for my zero, and its using the current weather to adjust it. Also when you change the range on the app, it changes it on the kestrel itself. So if I slide it up to 1200m the kestrels screen will read the correct changes for 800m.
Screenshot_2014_05_21_14_40_08.png
Screenshot_2014_05_21_14_39_58.png
Screenshot_2014_05_21_14_59_48.png

Alright guys another update and some info to pass on. A lot of benefits come with this software. First off updates are Free for Life. Also you can Transfer it from one device to another (something you cant do with google play purchases, if you change email addresses). Think of it more like buying actual software, where you can install it again on a clean slate if you need to. <--- AB Tactical.

On a side note, for wind capture when the kestrel is up and running. Scroll down, highlight wind and press the camera button and this will change it so it gets constant wind direction and speed. This will allow the companion to keep constant tabs on wind.

The Kestrel Companion App (The single screen app which the updated version I will show you in this post) is going to be either free or only a couple of dollars. The AB Tactical App is 125$, and the AB version you can find on google play is 30$ and 2$ for each of the custom bullet curves. However AB Tactical comes with the custom curves period no added charge. Kestrel Companion uses the profile loaded on the Kestrel. Any changes made on the Kestrel show up on the app, and vice versa almost instantly. This does require that a weapon and bullet profile already be made. As I have said before you have options. 1 do this by hand in the kestrel. 2 do this on PC and upload it (with Bluetooth version or pc cable). 3 A new option coming to you very soon, the AB Tactical version allows you to build your profile, calibrate your own ballistics, then upload profile to the kestrel. You can then use the Kestrel Companion as a simplified quick shot, or use the AB Tactical. Think of the companion as a mirror of the kestrel screen on your phone. Anything you do on the kestrel instantly goes to the app, and anything you do on the app instantly updates on the kestrel. The only thing you do on the Kestrel Companion is tell it your target range, and everything else updates automatically. It uses the weapon profile you currently have selected on the kestrel. Here are the screen shots. These photos are the latest version, the photos from before are an earlier beta. I hope you guys enjoy.

What you see before you connect:
Screenshot_2014_05_22_10_40_50.png

Enter your range in 1 of 4 ways. On the Kestrel itself, Using the Slider, Enter the Number with keypad, Or use Arrows.
Screenshot_2014_05_22_10_52_53.png
Screenshot_2014_05_22_10_53_11.png
Screenshot_2014_05_22_10_53_35.png
Screenshot_2014_05_22_10_53_51.png

Last edited:
[MENTION=102796]DocUSMCRetired[/MENTION] Any idea on a date when the companion app will be available?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[MENTION=66978]thrusty[/MENTION],

Are you shooting the match this weekend?

Yeah, I will be able to shoot it again thankfully. It's nice not having to worry about RO'ing... ;)

I will have one of these AB Kestrels on a tripod with a vane for our squad to use as well. Should be a good shooting weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Very good! I have one as well, unfortunately, I can't make it out this time around and am hoping to make it out next time. I have AB on my Samsung tablet and Phone and have been messing around with pairing the kestrel and these things. Maybe during the next match if I can make it, we can compare notes on what some of the nuances that we've run across! Hey good luck at the shoot!

Applied Ballistics Mobile App

[MENTION=66978]thrusty[/MENTION] 30-90 days.

Great, thanks. I have some wish list items that would be neat to be able to use at our matches. I'll send you a PM when I get the chance and see what you think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ballistic calibration on the Civilian version (or the available to all version). Also I am including some other features. All the features I showed you in AB Tactical can be found in AB. The only difference is AB Tactical is designed to be streamlined, and much quicker. You can still do it in the standard version as I will show you now. Also please keep in mind, I took these before I linked up with the kestrel, so the atmosphere had not been corrected yet.

Once you have a completed weapons profile, and bullet profile you will be brought to the environment screen. It should look like this:
Screenshot_2014_05_26_11_02_06.png

At the bottom of this screen you can see two buttons. One says single shot, one says trajectory. You will also find a menu here that looks like this:
Screenshot_2014_05_26_11_04_55.png

First I would like to talk about this menu and some of the things you can do here. These options are brought up by pressing your phones unique menu button. First off, get target azimuth. If your phone has a good compass in it like the Galaxy S4 and S5 do. You can simply point the phone at the target, and capture target direction. The same goes for get look angle. This will set the targets inclination to you. Station atmosphere allows you to get weather from a nearby weather station. However another option it says is Atmosphere from device. Some devices like the Galaxy S4 and S5 have built in temp, humidity and pressure. For those who aren't running a kestrel, or just need a quick temp adjustment you can use this, I will post a photo below that shows the options that pop up when you select it. Another option is calculate distance. You can actually set the target size in the reticle, and it will help you determine the size of the target. Here are screen shots of these last two options:

Screenshot_2014_05_26_11_05_26.png
Screenshot_2014_05_26_11_05_33.png

These two photos show the atmosphere from device, and the calculate distance options.

Now lets go in to ballistics calibration. If you were to choose the single shot screen it would bring up a screen that says HUD and Reticle. When you in this screen you need to use your phones menu button. Mine happens to be outside of the on screen display next to the home button. When you press your phones menu button it brings up this:
Screenshot_2014_05_26_11_02_16.png

You can see you have an option for ballistic calibration. If you push that button you get this:
Screenshot_2014_05_26_11_06_03.png

That's your ballistic calibration function on the standard AB program. The other way to do this is to press trajectory. Which brings up a range table, reticle and graph screen. If you stay on the range table screen and push menu you can also bring up the ballistics calibration table here:
Screenshot_2014_05_26_11_02_26.png

Once you have gotten the numbers you needed to calibrate your own shots (it really helps to have a chronograph but you don't have to have one) you then select run, and it will adjust your table to your own specific calibration.

This is the second place where you can customize the ballistics of your round. Now you also have other options on the other screens such as this compare with function that allows you to compare the flight path of up to 6 rounds:

Screenshot_2014_05_26_11_06_33.png

I did this in hopes of showing you guys that these features can be found on the AB standard model in google play. Just please make sure to remember you will need to find your individual phones menu button. Some phones have this on screen, other phones have it outside the screen next to the home button. Also to get to ballistic calibration you need to be inside the weapon profile, and have already selected and set up your round. Hopefully this helps.

Thanks Doc, That looks pretty good I hadn't heard of this Version, It seems to have all you need.

john

Dear Bryan,

I just recently finished a years worth of collage physics and like to play with my calculator. What books would you recommend that have most or all the calculations needed for long range shooting. I would like to learn how to do this the hard way. Any tips and recommend reading would be helpful.

Thanks,
Rich L

Any chance of getting this on the iPhone any time soon?

Introducing the Applied Ballistics (AB) Mobile app.

image049.png

This state of the art ballistics program is currently available for android devices (it will be developed for iPhone/iPod in the future).

The AB Mobile app:
Accounts for all major and minor trajectory variables
Pulls in weather data and latitude from GPS or blue-tooth link with Kestrels.
Has a library of (Litz) measured G1 and G7 BC's
Features custom drag curves for specific bullets as in-app purchases ($1.99)
Displays single shot solution in HUD view or Reticle view
Displays multi-shot solution in Reticle view, table, and graph
Offers Ballistic Calibration, so you can enter your observed drop at range and the program will calibrate; muzzle velocity, projectile drag (BC), and drop scaling over various segments of the trajectory.
Web-sync feature which allows you to store your rifle/ammo libraries online for quick retrieval.

For those familiar with the Shooter app for android and iOS, the AB Mobile app is basically an extended/advanced version of Shooter. AB Mobile was programmed by the same developer, and uses the same solver, but has a number of additional features that extend capabilities and interfacing beyond any ballistics app currently on the market.

You can view the user manual here

The app is available for purchase in the Google Market

Here are some screenshots of the AB Mobile app:

image058.jpg

image074.jpg

HUD.png

Calibration.png

Please post any questions, comments, requests, etc to this thread.

-Bryan

Any chance of adding the ability to adjust for cant? For example, would come in handy for matches where you have to shoot with rifle at 90 degrees.

Well hey, I was just about to post something about this when I found this thread...I'm little/lot late to the game. Anyway, I shot the SHC this past weekend and was at a disadvantage since I don't own a Kestrel or ballistics solver...was guessing my dope based off a previous range session.

Anyway, quick question: For someone that can't afford to buy a Kestrel with AB, would this be just as good to download onto my smart-phone?

Reason I ask is, I already have a Weather-Flow wind meter and a wrist watch that gives me barometric pressure. This $30 app vs a $600 Kestrel with AB seems like a no-brainer.

Sorry if this has been asked somewhere in the past 10 pages, but I still have a lot of reading to do here since I just found this thread. Thanks!!!

Jeff, its a great app with a caveat, the custom drag models that AB Kestrel guys have access to aren't included with the app.

That said you can purchase drag models through the app which should then be just as good. You were shooting 140 VLDs right?

The custom curves are 2 bucks each

Last edited:
Well hey, I was just about to post something about this when I found this thread...I'm little/lot late to the game. Anyway, I shot the SHC this past weekend and was at a disadvantage since I don't own a Kestrel or ballistics solver...was guessing my dope based off a previous range session.

Anyway, quick question: For someone that can't afford to buy a Kestrel with AB, would this be just as good to download onto my smart-phone?

Reason I ask is, I already have a Weather-Flow wind meter and a wrist watch that gives me barometric pressure. This $30 app vs a $600 Kestrel with AB seems like a no-brainer.

Sorry if this has been asked somewhere in the past 10 pages, but I still have a lot of reading to do here since I just found this thread. Thanks!!!

The most accuracy your going to see is with a kestrel and the app. However you do have multiple options for weather data. You can enter it yourself. You can use the phones sensors (some like the galaxy s4 and s5 have built in weather sensors). You can also use the internet to find a close weather station, and it will use that data. It can be done without a kestrel, just note that you need to know the accuracy of where you get your data, or how far away it is.

" Sevo2300 Any chance of adding the ability to adjust for cant? For example, would come in handy for matches where you have to shoot with rifle at 90 degrees."

thats just going to take practice, Once you do turn the gun on its side (right side) for this hypothetical, you will be shooting low and left, even though you are shooting at the same range you zeroed at, you will shoot left because the scope is parrallel horizontally to the barrel instead of the normal vertical parrallel, And you will be shooting low because the windage turret that you are now using as an elevation turret hasnt corrected for gravity (drop)

Last edited:
I have a quick, hopefully not stupid question about the normal AB app on Google Play and Kestrel 4500 (non AB version) and the soon coming Companion mentioned here. Does the current AB civilian app and the soon coming Companion add-on work with the non-AB version of the Kestrel 4500 w/Bluetooth?

Somany droid haters on here. I was an iPhone and Apple guy until the end. Insert Samsung Galaxy Note 3 from work. After using it for about a week, I ditched the iPhone and bought a Galaxy S4. Phenominal phone and OS and Im here to tell you, Apple has its work cut out to catch up with these two phones. I appreciate the seemless operation/interaction between my Macbook, Apple TV, iPad and iPhone but you have so many more options with the Droid OS and if you go with a Samsung, HTC or one of the other great platforms, you'll never look back. Cheers mates.

Oh yeah, the AB app on my Galaxy Note 3 with an Otterbox has been a champ in all conditions so far. I then use the excel program to transfer data on the range using the stylus of course(and insert pics taken of the phone to the excel sheet). I then populate graphs for visual trending with loads through excel on the phone. Super handy

Last edited:
Somany droid haters on here. I was an iPhone and Apple guy until the end. Insert Samsung Galaxy Note 3 from work. After using it for about a week, I ditched the iPhone and bought a Galaxy S4. Phenominal phone and OS and Im here to tell you, Apple has its work cut out to catch up with these two phones. I appreciate the seemless operation/interaction between my Macbook, Apple TV, iPad and iPhone but you have so many more options with the Droid OS and if you go with a Samsung, HTC or one of the other great platforms, you'll never look back. Cheers mates.

Oh yeah, the AB app on my Galaxy Note 3 with an Otterbox has been a champ in all conditions so far. I then use the excel program to transfer data on the range using the stylus of course(and insert pics taken of the phone to the excel sheet). I then populate graphs for visual trending with loads through excel on the phone. Super handy

Yep. Iphone just doesn't compare anymore.

I don't hate droid, and I don't love iphone. It's just a phone. ... but I'm not going to sell my iphone and buy a droid just so I can run this app. I'd like to run the app, and so would lots of people I've talked to with iphones. There are lots of droid phones, and lots of iphones. Apps should be made for both. :)

Is there any plan to add the G2 reticle from the Bushnell ERS scopes?

Also, what are the advantages of running the Kestrel w/ AB vs the 4500 w/ bluetooth in conjunction with this app?

Thanks!

Is there any plan to add the G2 reticle from the Bushnell ERS scopes?

Also, what are the advantages of running the Kestrel w/ AB vs the 4500 w/ bluetooth in conjunction with this app?

Thanks!

The Kestrel with AB is one unit. Easier than using both your phone and a Kestrel. That's one reason.

Understood, but there seems to be a lot of discussion about using then in conjunction. Just wondering what I'm leaving on the table by just running the 4500 Bluetoothed to the phone running the app.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

" Sevo2300 Any chance of adding the ability to adjust for cant? For example, would come in handy for matches where you have to shoot with rifle at 90 degrees."

thats just going to take practice, Once you do turn the gun on its side (right side) for this hypothetical, you will be shooting low and left, even though you are shooting at the same range you zeroed at, you will shoot left because the scope is parrallel horizontally to the barrel instead of the normal vertical parrallel, And you will be shooting low because the windage turret that you are now using as an elevation turret hasnt corrected for gravity (drop)

I agree that there is a little bit of a learning curve, and I have done a fair amount of shooting with the gun canted. Initially I used a SWAG for holds, but recently I have used another program (CB) to correct for cant with great success. I just personally prefer AB over CB for my purposes.

I agree that there is a little bit of a learning curve, and I have done a fair amount of shooting with the gun canted. Initially I used a SWAG for holds, but recently I have used another program (CB) to correct for cant with great success. I just personally prefer AB over CB for my purposes.

The answer to that one would be ADD the elevation to the windage turret and the windage to the elevation, add it or subtract it, because the bullet is going to react to the forces of nature just the same as if you were using it the right way up,

John

The answer to that one would be ADD the elevation to the windage turret and the windage to the elevation, add it or subtract it, because the bullet is going to react to the forces of nature just the same as if you were using it the right way up,

John

unless you are used to doing it, some people could get confused and loose track of what they have done. Not saying people here will, but theirs always one or two that will. I think that using a hold over would be better in this case. If that's the case the AB program will give you a hold over.

Not to hijack the thread too much, but it is not just as simple as add/subtract elevation to the windage turret because when canted +/- 90 degrees, the windage turret (now the elevation turret) has a different "zero" and offset than the elevation turret. For example for my setup:

600 yds, no wind, in mils

Cant Elevation Windage
0, 4.2, 0.1
90, 1.4, 5.5
-90, 1.2, -5.5

So there is 1.3 mils (5.5-4.2) difference in "elevation" when canted 90 degrees.

unless you are used to doing it, some people could get confused and loose track of what they have done. Not saying people here will, but theirs always one or two that will. I think that using a hold over would be better in this case. If that's the case the AB program will give you a hold over.

Absolutely,,,,and if a person was to do this then above all else the said shooter must re Zero his Turrets straight away so as not to make a mess of his next set of adjustments.

And as if we don't have enough to remember, Oh well never mind.

John