• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AR 10 & AR15 ?

para1505

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
Columbia MO area
This Question I know makes me sound like a NEWB but I am not ,so here it goes. What is the difference between a AR10 and a AR15. And I can take some pretty hard rib poking so let me have it.

Re: AR 10 & AR15 ?

above and to ADD...

223-5.56 THINGS run away screaming,Oinking
308-7.62 THINGS lay in a Bloody pool DRT

223-556 Lower back loves it
308-7.62 Lower back HATES IT

ASM1 aint that the truth,I will never buy a 5.56 simply because I love to hunt pig size game on up with all my rifles.

ar-10 = expensive .308 round but bigger targets longer more accurate shot less effected by god

ar-15 = budget 5.56 .223 round less effective round (in my opinion) god throughs it all over.

both a good gun very good but this my personal opinion and im sure theirs alot of the out their both a nato round so if the world ends you can pick them up

I agree with all of the above to an extent, although I will say, if you are shooting pigs about 20 yards with an AR15 it really doesn't matter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sealhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with all of the above to an extent, although I will say, if you are shooting pigs about 20 yards with an AR15 it really doesn't matter. </div></div>

Pretty much right on, especially if using 62 Gr TSX and proper shot placement

AR-10 is larger heavier platform for .308-type cartridges.

AR-15 is smaller and lighter, and there a few cartridge choices other than the .223 / 5.56, including 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, .458 SOCOM, and more.

Deciding what the task is will help determine which platform might serve best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RightToBearArms8</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sealhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with all of the above to an extent, although I will say, if you are shooting pigs about 20 yards with an AR15 it really doesn't matter. </div></div>

Pretty much right on, especially if using 62 Gr TSX and proper shot placement </div></div> those Barnes 62 Gr TSX's are mean rounds. Just loaded some up last night and just aching to zap something with them.

And 70TSX
smile.gif
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RightToBearArms8</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sealhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with all of the above to an extent, although I will say, if you are shooting pigs about 20 yards with an AR15 it really doesn't matter. </div></div>

Pretty much right on, especially if using 62 Gr TSX and proper shot placement </div></div>

AR-10 is a trademark of Armalite, it is usually a .308 caliber but they also have .260 and other short action calibers available. People commonly make the mistake of refeing to all .308 ARs as an AR-10. This would be the same as using the term SR25 when describing any AR308. AR-15 is more of a generic term, and to the best of my knowledge is not trademarked by any one company; it is usually a .223 or 5.56 caliber, but there are other calibers available such 7.62x39.

<span style="font-style: italic">Edit:</span>Colt does own the trademark rights to Ar-15 which it bought from Armalite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">above and to ADD...

223-5.56 THINGS run away screaming,Oinking
308-7.62 THINGS lay in a Bloody pool DRT

223-556 Lower back loves it
308-7.62 Lower back HATES IT </div></div>

+ 100 Drifter_1

But then the AR15 also equals the 50 Beowulf, 6.5 Grendel, 243 WSSM etc. All of which are extremely effective cartridges. Some might argue that the Grendel is a better choice than the 308 at distance.

The argument that .223/5.56 will only wound an animal is total blasphemy. If this were the case then how can a man that hunts with a .357/.44 magnum bag a deer? Considering the fact that at point blank distance a .357 magnum generates the same force as a .223 at 600+ yards. According to these guys you can't kill a pig/deer at 10 yards with a .357 so "don't try it". As for only using .308 cause its "always a DRT shot" why don't you guys make sure and just use the biggest freaking bullet they make why stop at .308? Lets try a .338 or a 50 BMG or why not a recoiless rifle in 30mm? Then you wouldnt have to clean the animal just pick-up the pieces that you want!

Its more to do with bullet choice realy The 223 is a dandy round,But you can realy fuck it up and still do well with a 308 over a 223...I shot plenty Of animlas with a 223 from an AR15 and You need to put the round where it counts,Thats not allways easy when It's going down...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rediculous</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The argument that .223/5.56 will only wound an animal is total blasphemy. If this were the case then how can a man that hunts with a .357/.44 magnum bag a deer? Considering the fact that at point blank distance a .357 magnum generates the same force as a .223 at 600+ yards. According to these guys you can't kill a pig/deer at 10 yards with a .357 so "don't try it". As for only using .308 cause its "always a DRT shot" why don't you guys make sure and just use the biggest freaking bullet they make why stop at .308? Lets try a .338 or a 50 BMG or why not a recoiless rifle in 30mm? Then you wouldnt have to clean the animal just pick-up the pieces that you want! </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW FYI hunting with a 5.56-223 AR will give you coodys... </div></div>
I like that lol

7.62/.308 (AR10)
-
<span style="text-decoration: underline">5.56/.223</span>(AR15)
= 2.06

AR15
-
<span style="text-decoration: underline">AR 10</span>
=AR 5

So AR 15, is an AR 10 that comes with an AR 5 in 2.06 caliber....

Every Pig I have shot with an AR10 using 168 AMAX (its what I had at the time) ran off even after multiple hits. Every pig I have shot with my 5.56 using green tip ammo died on the spot. Every pig I have shot using the AR10 with FMJ ammo died on the spot.

Bigger guns dont always mean a faster death, but its best to have one of each
smile.gif
BTW... You dont need expensive hunting bullets for pigs. Green tip 5.56 is devestating on them!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every Pig I have shot with an AR10 using 168 AMAX (its what I had at the time) ran off even after multiple hits. Every pig I have shot with my 5.56 using green tip ammo died on the spot. Every pig I have shot using the AR10 with FMJ ammo died on the spot.

smile.gif
BTW... You dont need expensive hunting bullets for pigs. Green tip 5.56 is devestating on them! </div></div>

I will agree with this. Ammo choice is the answer to the argument. If you run the right loads of ammo in virtually any weapon caliber your results will improve.

People are whinny bitch's, even whinn'er/wimpy'er when shot. Animals on the other hand can/will absorb hit's an still move out, other than those placed into the DRT zone.

all those saying the 556/223 is useless need to go back and post on a red jacket forum or at least learn what the hell you are talking about

if a 223 is so useless let me shoot you in the chest with one at 100yards..remember, you said it was useless and doesnt do any damage

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every Pig I have shot with an AR10 using 168 AMAX (its what I had at the time) ran off even after multiple hits. Every pig I have shot with my 5.56 using green tip ammo died on the spot. Every pig I have shot using the AR10 with FMJ ammo died on the spot.

smile.gif
BTW... You dont need expensive hunting bullets for pigs. Green tip 5.56 is devestating on them! </div></div>
people are dumb...its like them saying the 9mm is useless..really? how about asking half of europe how useless that round was during the early 40's lol

with todays bullet technology you are NOT at a disadvantage with a round like the 223...anyone who says otherwise needs to be banned from the hide.

also, there are no "standartd" ar 308 designs. each company usually does things a touch diff. look at the mag issue between armalite 308s and dpms/pof/lwrc 3o8 ar platforms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">also, there are no "standartd" ar 308 designs. each company usually does things a touch diff. look at the mag issue between armalite 308s and dpms/pof/lwrc 3o8 ar platforms. </div></div>
and thats why we have the ma-ten lol