• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing AR 15 upper anodizing job.....ok or not ok?

jaw921

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2009
Southeastern, PA
I just purchased a cheaper brand upper receiver and was unsure about the anodizing job on the inside. None of my other uppers are anything like this and I haven't seen one like it before. Was this just a bad anodizing job? Or is this nothing to be worried about?

IMG_1573-1.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_1576-1.jpg

Re: AR 15 upper anodizing job.....ok or not ok?

wow. first what brand is it? it looks like a poor job of hard coating it. i looked at both my uppers and they are coated fully. my only worry would be if they cant coat it fully is there anything else they didnt do correctly? like hardening or heat treating. have you contacted the makers to see if they can make it right?

I am also curious as to the brand but I don't expect I would worry about it. I think you can fix it with Krylon.

It might be a dry film lube that was applied to the interior of the receiver. Ask the manufacturer.

searching online i have found both stag, aero precision and cmmg recently for $99. but i would still expect them to be fully coated. keep us posted on your results

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toolmaker64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It might be a dry film lube that was applied to the interior of the receiver. Ask the manufacturer. </div></div>

By the pattern of the grey stuff, I'd bet that's what it is. Might be a good thing!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaw921</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't contacted them about it yet, I wanted to get some opinions first. They are a newer company, Tactical Machining in Florida.

Krylon is not something I would ever consider, I paid money for a finished product. I'm a very detail oriented person and things like this don't make me happy. But like I said, it's a cheaper brand so I geuss "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" applies. </div></div>

Being a very detail oriented person and buying cheap stuff just don't mix.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Humungus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaw921</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't contacted them about it yet, I wanted to get some opinions first. They are a newer company, Tactical Machining in Florida.

Krylon is not something I would ever consider, I paid money for a finished product. I'm a very detail oriented person and things like this don't make me happy. But like I said, it's a cheaper brand so I geuss "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" applies. </div></div>

Being a very detail oriented person and buying cheap stuff just don't mix.</div></div>

Cheaper doesn't mean it's crap, but I see your point.
I will be contacting them tommorrow to see what they say.

The "spray pattern" of the photo from the rear looks to be over the hard coat, indicating a dry film lube. Please let us know what you find.

Did you try wiping it down with a rag with a little oil on it? Could be the sealer they apply after the color dip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJ300MAG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you try wiping it down with a rag with a little oil on it? Could be the sealer they apply after the color dip. </div></div>

Yeah I scrubbed it down with CLP and AP brush, it did nothing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LS6TT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">post those links for 99$ please </div></div>

Spikes tactical has lowers for 90 bucks.

Id krylon isn't your fancy...use duracoat...or just run about 10,000 rounds through it and itll all blend together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LS6TT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">post those links for 99$ please </div></div>

Spikes tactical has lowers for 90 bucks.

Id krylon isn't your fancy...use duracoat...or just run about 10,000 rounds through it and itll all blend together. </div></div>

he was talking about uppers.

thanks for the link. Del-Ton is just a run of the mill brand, lots of guys on the AR board have them, supposedly just middle of the road.

I got an email back from the manufacturer today, it turns out that it is a coating which increases longevity and has no negative affect on performance. Makes sense being that it is only on the inside of the receiver, the outside of it is fine. I just thought it was a little odd being I haven't seen one like this before. I'm going to give it a shot and see how it does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaw921</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't contacted them about it yet, I wanted to get some opinions first. They are a newer company, Tactical Machining in Florida.

You asked if it was ok. The answer is yes, it's fine and it's not going to hurt you and can easily be replaced by some krylon.

Whether or not it's awesome to buy firearms that actually need a coating of krylon straight from the factory or not is a different question all together.

Personally I would expect cheap firearms to come with cheap coatings. Hell take a look at the Remington 700 SPS series
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaw921</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Krylon is not something I would ever consider, I paid money for a finished product......</div></div>

ROFL.....

Some of the most expensive equipment I own is covered under a coat of Krylon.
wink.gif

That looks just like dry film lube... I would consider this a good thing.

Here's a test. Take some nonclorinated brake cleaner or carb cleaner and apply it to a rag then see if you can remove the lube that is splattered on the rear of the receiver. If it comes off and there is fresh nice hard milspec anodizing underneath, then you have your answer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaw921</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Krylon is not something I would ever consider, I paid money for a finished product......</div></div>

ROFL.....

Some of the most expensive equipment I own is covered under a coat of Krylon.
wink.gif
</div></div>

I meant that for the inside of the receiver I would never consider it, spraying the outside is no big deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That looks just like dry film lube... I would consider this a good thing.

Here's a test. Take some nonclorinated brake cleaner or carb cleaner and apply it to a rag then see if you can remove the lube that is splattered on the rear of the receiver. If it comes off and there is fresh nice hard milspec anodizing underneath, then you have your answer.</div></div>

I just tried this and it came right off.

Cool. So I'm guessing it looked alright underneath?

I'd leave the rest of the dry film lube intact. I'm pretty sure that it's purpose is the aid smooth operation during the break in process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool. So I'm guessing it looked alright underneath?

I'd leave the rest of the dry film lube intact. I'm pretty sure that it's purpose is the aid smooth operation during the break in process.</div></div>

Yeah it was perfectly fine underneath, and I am going to leave the film on just as it is. The manufacturer also stated that this is common with most mil-spec uppers that are used for government contracts.