• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR platform .243 who makes them?

briang7511

steel smasher
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2013
Michigan
As the title says who makes a ar platform .243? Found armalite, dpms and Remington, but who makes a higher quality rifle. Checked Larue, LMT, GAP and a few other big name players but did not find anything on their pages. Main use is going to bang steel out to a 1000 yds, and have flexibility to multi purpose use on coyote, deer or whatever. Any information would be grateful.

I think you've got the main players already without getting into the custom route. Not too many around and even the ones you mentioned above have VERY limited (maybe one or two models) available in .243.

For a "custom" rifle or complete upper, have a look at the offerings from Accuracy Systems as they have been in the .243 game for many years now and they build first-rate stuff all around! The are solid, sub-MOA capable performers, including their .243 offerings, and their prices are pretty reasonable for getting you exactly what you want/need. See here: Custom AR10 Rifles Accuracy Systems Gunsmith Gunsmithing AR 10

In the AR15 Type you can't get 243, round is too long. You will have to use the AR10 platform which would be several pounds heavier. I have an AR15 in 243wssm which I love. You can get the uppers from Olympic Arms or custom from DTech.

You would need a custom to bang steel at 1000. Most likely a 7 or 8 twist barrel for the longer heavier bullets which you would have to load yourself for 107g bullets. No factory ammo that large or factory barrels with that twist. However, I can hit steel at 800 with 87g VMax but not consistently and a 10 twist stabilizes that pretty well. I also have a 14 twist barrel for 55g ballistic tips at 4200fps which I use for coyotes. But you will need a custom upper to get this type of performance.

Last edited:
My pals R25 in .243 consistently shoots under an inch at 100yds and averages 2-3" (best was 1.740") @ 400 yards with a 58g vmax hand load, what more quality besides burned cash does one need with a stock gun & 4lb timney trigger.
He will run it to 700 yards in a few weeks after he decideds to stop dinking with hand loads and really starts to shoot it.
Like you I have yet to find anyone other than a few that make an AR10 in .243

What twist does he have and how heavy a bullit can he get down the tube before she goes sideways?

I still haven't ruled out the 6.5 creedmoor which seems to be pretty popular. Ive seen people talk about the 6 creedmoor (not in an ar) but haven't really found any good data yet on the 6 creedmoor with an ar platform. I have all bolt guns so I am looking for something different.

I still haven't ruled out the 6.5 creedmoor which seems to be pretty popular. Ive seen people talk about the 6 creedmoor (not in an ar) but haven't really found any good data yet on the 6 creedmoor with an ar platform. I have all bolt guns so I am looking for something different.

Check out some of the GAP video of their GAP 10 on youtube. Damn 6mm creedmore shoots like a laser for bangin steel at distance.

so where do you get 6mm creedmoor brass? Load data? Hate to sound like the noob but it seems I need an education?

LMT MWS has a .243 barrel option:

LM243B220S - Parts

I've had very good luck with my .20" .260 barrel, so I would imagine that the .243 might be pretty nice.

so where do you get 6mm creedmoor brass? Load data? Hate to sound like the noob but it seems I need an education?

You can find all of your answers in this link. http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...23-gap-10-match-rifle-idea-6mm-creedmoor.html

George talks about why the 243 is not so good and why the 6mm creedmoor works well in the AR platform. There are other 6mm options as well and one of those has an extensive write up by friedchickenblowout in the semi auto section also.

As the title says who makes a ar platform .243? Found armalite, dpms and Remington, but who makes a higher quality rifle. Checked Larue, LMT, GAP and a few other big name players but did not find anything on their pages. Main use is going to bang steel out to a 1000 yds, and have flexibility to multi purpose use on coyote, deer or whatever. Any information would be grateful.

LMT definately has one and as one other person said check out Rifle Accuracy Systems Inc Custom Accurate Rifles Barrel Conversions Ruger Mini Remington 700 7400 750 AR10 AR15 they build some very accurate reasonably priced ar's in alot of different offerings.