• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AR upper question

yotechsr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2008
beyond
I have a RRA that I want to do something with-mainly smoke coyotes. I dont know squat about ars It was simply a impulse buy a little while back. Anyhow its a rifle length and I want to put a flat top upper receiver on it. What brand would you suggest? Stock BCG good? Should I just buy the whole upper and barrel?

Re: AR upper question

It all depends on how much $$$ you want to spend. You can get a flat top A3 receiver for about $120.00. Then you need someone to change it out or buy the tools which is another $75-$80 for the wrench and action block. You could also buy an upper without bcg and charging handle and re-use your existing ones. Somewhere like JT supply or Model 1 sales for $400.00 range depending on what you want. That way you could have a scope set up on one upper for Yote hunting and just transfer the bcg. I have two lowers and three uppers. It works out good.

So it may be best to buy an upper if you have limited knowledge on the AR platform. I would get a 1/9 twist. I use 69 gr. SMK for Yotes in our area.

Re: AR upper question

It's pretty easy to assembly an AR. So, go for it if that's what you want to do. Check out ar15.com, they have step-by-step instructions. Uppers and lowers are commodities: get whatever brand you want: rock river, dpms, bushmaster, whatever. Honestly, you outta go to ar15.com with this question.