• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AR10 loads- bullet weight/length question

scubadds

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2010
I was debating going bolt or gas, and decided to buy a KAC lower (I like the ambi) and either get a Larue, LMT or maybe the KAC 6.5 cm upper
I started looking up loads on here and it seems the 140/142 is recommended for a good BC and wind bucking.
But I stumbled over a thread that recommended a 130gr for gas gun, and I believe it was because the longer 142 might not fit in the mags?

So, is that the case? Will I be relegated to 130gr and miss out on the "better" bullets? or is there more to the 130gr than I realize (velocity, hunting loads or something else)
Any advice as far as a good factory ammo to start with and or what weights I can try would be appreciated!!

Last edited:
ELD M's and RDF 140's do very well for me at around 2750 fps loaded to OAL of 2.81. They fit the pmag fine and don't mind being jumped. Shooting in the .3's to .5's pretty regularly. This is in an LMT MWS factory barrel. I've also had excellent accuracy with the newer FGMM 130's and Hornady ELD M 140's - great factory Ammo.

The Hornady Match 120's-140's works great .4-.6 moa in my AR10. In fact I only bother to reload Barnes bullets for hunting use only (Komi state) Would like to try some Prime but haven't got around to it. The Winchester Match doesn't do very well in my gun 1.5+moa. If your worried about running 130's the Berger 130 AR hybrid doesn't give up much to any 140 class bullet, I have used a bunch of them in my bolt gun.

thanks guys, I started looking into the 130 hybrids and after watching Bryan Litz' video explaining the design it looks like a good place to start my 6.5 journey
I like to find one powder and bullet and stick with it, it sounds like a good starting point...
I think I got in my head that the 142 was "better" without really looking at each bullet design

Last edited: