• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ar15 in 6mm

billy.the.kid43

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2010
Flagstaff, AZ
Has anyone built or fired a 6mm/.243 chambered Ar15? I am curious about it's comparison to the 6.5 Grendel. Seeing as how the 6.5 is doing so well, I wonder why I haven't seen more about a 6mm type as far as popularity. Yes, I am familiar with the 6mmAR and the improved version as well as 6mm PPC and 6x45 but they aren't real popular so far and I'm curious as to why?

cool.gif

Re: Ar15 in 6mm

Have a 6 AR from Rob Whitley (6mmAR.com)
Shoots 105 gr JLK's in the low .200's with R 15
No kick at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Billy.the.Kid43</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone built or fired a 6mm/.243 chambered Ar15? I am curious about it's comparison to the 6.5 Grendel. Seeing as how the 6.5 is doing so well, I wonder why I haven't seen more about a 6mm type as far as popularity. Yes, I am familiar with the 6mmAR and the improved version as well as 6mm PPC and 6x45 but they aren't real popular so far and I'm curious as to why?

cool.gif

</div></div>They aren't mainstream but there a lot of guys that shoot and don't get on forums much use 6mms, the 6mmAR, 6BR, 6BRX,6X41 allow longer 95-107gr bullets to be used from the mag, the 6 Hagar, 6WOA will shoot up to 80gr from the mag and all fit in the AR15 platform.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Billy.the.Kid43</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone built or fired a 6mm/.243 chambered Ar15? I am curious about it's comparison to the 6.5 Grendel. Seeing as how the 6.5 is doing so well, I wonder why I haven't seen more about a 6mm type as far as popularity. Yes, I am familiar with the 6mmAR and the improved version as well as 6mm PPC and 6x45 but they aren't real popular so far and I'm curious as to why?

cool.gif

</div></div>

I'm sure theres lots of folks that have them that don't like to post.

Many more than that who are afraid of necking cartridges up or down.Then there are those that only buy factory ammo.

105's at 2900FPS does really well in the 6mmART40.When I was shooting next to a friend at 1000Y against his 6.5G we noticed it was easier to hit the steel in the same wind.

I have a 6mmAR that is my main hunting gun. 105 AMAX @ 2750.
hard to beat in an AR15.

Hope this helps.
Trilogymac

I've got an order in for complete 6mmARt40 Upper from Robert Whitley.

Can't wait.........

It's killing me to not have one of Roberts 6mm AR's. I'm in the middle of another rifle build right now. The 6mmAr 40Turbo will be next on the list. Its near 243 performance with a more efficient case design and uses less powder. It also uses the AR15 platform NOT the AR10. BTW max load on a 105 AMax is 3000 out of a BOLT ACTION for all powders but one (which may or may not work in an AR gas system). I wonder what the velocity is out of a AR 10 243???

Look like the 6art40 is the choice here.

I have a 243 win that I am using for PRC and want to stick
with 6mm bullets. Currently using a 95 gr. Berger VLD on
top of 34.5 gr. IMR4064 but was thinking of giving Varget
a try.

Would that projectile and powder work for the 6art40?

cool.gif

Sounds like you are talking about 28"+ barrels and max vel.
A 243 will push a 105 to 3200 on the high end, doesn't mean that is where it will be accurate though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uhcoog1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This one caught my eye when I was weighing the different options:

http://www.ar15performance.com/match_grade_customs

</div></div>

The cool thing about this one is if you go with his bolt/barrel extension it's stronger so you can load the round to it's full potential. A number of the li'l super rounds being chambered in AR's can break bolts if you are not careful in how you load or what you use.

SandWarrior Thanks for the link it looks like the best design to date. I thought I had a plan, now its time for a reconsideration...

That bolt in the link will allow you to shoot a 6BRX if you want to fireform brass or a 6BR if not.
A 6BRX with 22" barrel will push 95gr SMKs to 3200 but the accuracy is a little lower around 3150 using N550 powder, Varget will work too but is a little slower than 550.
Or you could run a 264LBC or 6mmAR at 60,000psi without danger of the bolt breaking.

I have been shooting a 6mm AR Turbo 40 for a while now and love it. Not sure why 6mm ARs are not more popular than they are considering thier performance, but they do seem to be gaining some popularity lately.

Mine especially likes Berger 95gr VLDs and Berger 88gr FB, but has shot excellent groups with a number of different bullets ranging from 70gr up to 107gr. This chambering is also not terribly picky on powders. RL15, H-4895, Varget and H-335 have all produced good results. I'm sure there is other powders that will work well too.

I have had excellent results with this rifle both at the range and in the field and highly recommend it for anyone looking for a little more punch and range capability out of an AR.

I have three built 6mm AR15s.

First is a 6.8 SPC necked to the 6mm bullet ( 6mm SPC )

Example1.jpg

The second is a 6.5 Grendel necked to the 6mm ( 6mm RAT )
5037.jpg

The last is a 243 WSSM in AR15

Example34.jpg

ARP, Those paint jobs are awesome! I really like the 243 WSSM. What kind of velocities and accuracy are you getting out of the WSSM?

ARK. Thanks. I am shooting the 58 grain Hornady VMax in the WSSM at just under 3900 fps. It shoots under 3/4 inch with this load which makes it a very lethal coyote round.

I'll bet that load is hell on coyotes! Who built the upper and what twist is the barrel? I'm thinking about building a WSSM upper in the future and would like some info on uppers. Thanks ARP

heck you can make the short drive down and shoot the ones I got if you like.

I may have to take you up on that ARP! I'll PM you in a couple weeks when things settle down after the holidays and we'll get together.