• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing ARCA-SWISS RSS Mount on hunting rifle?

JoedirtPNW

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2018
So im not a competition shooter but I bought me first tripod mainly for backpack hunts.

Whats the best way to mount an ARCA type rail to my hunting rifle? I do not need or want a full length rail (like the 419) just something small. No need for a new stock as mine is composite with aluminum bedding from the back to the front.

So far all I have found is a ARCA keyMOD mount from Field Optics Research. I was thinking about drilling and tapping the stock for this mount.

Rifle is a Sako A7

image_89e3c858-f17d-4e60-ac71-0ab6059e4ff6_1024x1024.jpg

5629_2_.jpg

IMG_2199.JPG

I just did this not to long ago on my .22. Just picked up a small dovetail mount off Amazon and the Atlas fastner, drilled a hole and used a spade bit for the fastner to fit into.

Reactions: JoedirtPNW
I have installed simple t bolts in most of my stocks and the acra plate just screws to them.
super simple

Reactions: Ksracer
I ended up going with the Leofoto LS-324C I like it better than the Feisol 3342 (for backpack hunting). It has 32mm legs, 3lbs, height 3"-51.4" (head + bino adapter = perfect height), folds up tighter 3.8" dia.

The only down side I guess would be you cannot run a bowl with leveling base which is fine becuase they are normally limited to -+ 15* degrees.....

I'd just run a full rail were it me. This way a bipod is an option, in addition to the tripod. I think Sawtooth Rifles made one for @hic28 's rifle, and we installed that in about 30 mins. Just had to drill holes in the stock, and use a forstner bit to cut/radius the drilled hole larger for the fasterner to rest in. As with most things, proper prep work (measuring and marking) ensures a fast and easy installation.

If your stock is flat on the bottom, get one of the longer plates off Amazon and use 2 screws to mount it. Direct mount into a leveling base is alot more solid than a pig/hog saddle, plus it weighs less, and 15* is more than you think. The cheaper ball heads flex alot also.

Reactions: 260284
If your stock is flat on the bottom, get one of the longer plates off Amazon and use 2 screws to mount it. Direct mount into a leveling base is alot more solid than a pig/hog saddle, plus it weighs less, and 15* is more than you think. The cheaper ball heads flex alot also.

Ya im kinda limited being a hunting setup, leveling base compatible tripods are just to big and heavy. Taking a hit with the cheaper ball head. Not looking for "the best" precision, more like good enough. I took my weight hit on 32mm legs, I think a stable tripod is more important than the head.....

Ya im kinda limited being a hunting setup, leveling base compatible tripods are just to big and heavy. Taking a hit with the cheaper ball head. Not looking for "the best" precision, more like good enough. I took my weight hit on 32mm legs, I think a stable tripod is more important than the head.....

There are leveling bases on Amazon that mount on a 3/8 stud, same as a ball head.

Maybe I need to rephrase that. The cheap pistol grip ball heads (manfrotto style comes to mind) that add 6"+ above the tripod flex alot. I saw some short, stout looking ones at the bottom of the page in your link. RRS also makes a ball head that is very solid.

Reactions: JoedirtPNW
Maybe I need to rephrase that. The cheap pistol grip ball heads (manfrotto style comes to mind) that add 6"+ above the tripod flex alot. I saw some short, stout looking ones at the bottom of the page in your link. RRS also makes a ball head that is very solid.
AHH ok, the one I have is a Leofoto 40mm low profile ball head. It looks like a RRS knockoff.

Check out sawtooth rifles.
They have arca swiss rails for alot of different rifle configurations.
They also may be able to make you one specific for your application