• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are the FN SPR enthusiasts extinct?

Just a 3 round zero check yesterday…. Didn’t figure it would turn into a wall hanger. Seems like I’m always chasing a .1 - .2 correction.

Attachments

• F6B14096-C528-4C2D-BA2E-490028FE0054.jpeg
    F6B14096-C528-4C2D-BA2E-490028FE0054.jpeg
    373.1 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: yej0001
I know this is the SPR thread, but this thread gets good traffic.

I inherited my grandfather's old Model 70 that I'd like to get the action trued and the bolt spiffed up. It feels like there is some galling in the action/bolt. It seems like the main smiths to talk to are: LRI, Crescent, and SAC. Does anyone know if they will work on Post 64 push feed actions? It seems like LRI indicates that it is on the list coming soon.

Maybe I'll even go after an ESS chassis this weekend from MDT if it is on sale.

Edit: Just read MDT action spacing note. Unfortunately, his action is post 64, but pre 84. So, it wont fit in the chassis. Bummer.

Big Winchester M70 fan here as well. For a Winchester build with the extractor I would got to LRI first - no disrespect to the others as I'm sure they do quality work as well. I hold the Win 70 in high regard as my grandfather and father always preferred them, so for me there is a certain sentimental mystique...

I've got an Model 70 in the ESS chassis and its pretty sweet. MDT revamped their website and its hard to find the Winchester option so here is the link.

Good luck with your build.

Big Winchester M70 fan here as well. For a Winchester build with the extractor I would got to LRI first - no disrespect to the others as I'm sure they do quality work as well. I hold the Win 70 in high regard as my grandfather and father always preferred them, so for me there is a certain sentimental mystique...

I've got an Model 70 in the ESS chassis and its pretty sweet. MDT revamped their website and its hard to find the Winchester option so here is the link.

Good luck with your build.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting this built back up.

What are the other options for Win 70 stocks? My action is the 243 long action (roughly 7.5" spacing from the action screws), so it won't fit in the ESS chassis. I'm thinking I'll go with a Manners at this point.

What are the other options for Win 70 stocks? My action is the 243 long action (roughly 7.5" spacing from the action screws), so it won't fit in the ESS chassis. I'm thinking I'll go with a Manners at this point.

Yup, you'll have to custom order a stock. The very few and limited chassis options are all for the short actions, sadly.

I too am another huge m70 die hard fan and have 3 of them.

That’s the downside of the Winchester, lack of aftermarket support. Wood and fiberglass options are out there. At one time XLR and McRees Precision made chassis but I’m not sure they made long action options. You might see what Choate has on their website, they make some stocks and a new chassis system as well, not sure if it has a Winchester inlet.

Shootnwrench just turned me onto this thread. I bought my FN SPR 308 CL barrel 10 years ago from Scottsdale gun club that must have got some overruns or something crazy because they sold it for I think $1,100 but I'm sure no more. I just changed from a AAC 762 can to a Thunderbeast and run an ATACR 5-25X56. Atlas bipod. I got it bedded and tossed in a Timney if my memory serves me. I run AICS mags.

My CL gun will shoot half inch groups. It mostly likes 168's but will shoot 175 very well. Being this accurate with a barrel you can't shoot out has always made me wonder why the military does not adopt CL barrels in their long guns. I just bought 500 rounds of 155 gr TMK's from Freedom that I am eager to try. I favor shooting heavies but the deal was good so I bought some. If not, I'll dump them from my MWS.

Love this gun!

PB

Last edited:
Reactions: Shootnwrench
Has anyone here replaced or adjusted their FN SPR trigg

Did the same a while back. Top notch work (obviously) and super fast turnaround.
I think I put a Timney in mine. It's been so long its hard to remember. I believe I had to go to Timney in Phx to confirm correct trigger.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Shootnwrench just turned me onto this thread. I bought my FN SPR 308 CL barrel 10 years ago from Scottsdale gun club that must have got some overruns or something crazy because they sold it for I think $1,100 but I'm sure no more. I just changed from a AAC 762 can to a Thunderbeast and run an ATACR 5-25X56. Atlas bipod. I got it bedded and tossed in a Timney if my memory serves me. I run AICS mags.

My CL gun will shoot half inch groups. It mostly likes 168's but will shoot 175 very well. Being this accurate with a barrel you can't shoot out has always made me wonder why the military does not adopt CL barrels in their long guns. I just bought 500 rounds of 155 gr TMK's from Freedom that I am eager to try. I favor shooting heavies but the deal was good so I bought some. If not, I'll dump them from my MWS.

Love this gun!

PB

Post her up, we wanna see what she looks like with that TBAC & ATACR...

Oh and by the way, now I'm going over to freedom just check out that deal haha...

**edit**

I see the deal you're talking about. I like that projectile. Especially because I hunt with all my rifles regardless of size or weight, and that's a bullet I really really like for deer. Do you know what brass they are using?

They offer the 77 TMK in a 223 loading as well. I sent an email asking what brass they use but they couldn't give me a definite answer.

This was their exact answer...

"Could be Wolf, GFL or Norma they our brass vendors, MV=2550 out of a 16' barrel.
Have a great day,
Dawna Hubbard
Quality Analyst"

I have no idea what GFL is, I'm not interested in wolf, and if it's norma, sign me up!

Last edited:
Post her up, we wanna see what she looks like with that TBAC & ATACR...

Oh and by the way, now I'm going over to freedom just check out that deal haha...

**edit**

I see the deal you're talking about. I like that projectile. Especially because I hunt with all my rifles regardless of size or weight, and that's a bullet I really really like for deer. Do you know what brass they are using?

They offer the 77 TMK in a 223 loading as well. I sent an email asking what brass they use but they couldn't give me a definite answer.

"Could be Wolf, GFL or Norma they our brass vendors, MV=2550 out of a 16' barrel.
Have a great day,
Dawna Hubbard
Quality Analyst"

I have no idea what GFL is, I'm not interested in wolf, and if it's norma, sign me up!
The Brass and primer looks like shit but shoots ok. Others thought they drenched the round with sealant which made it look shotty. But for that price, I mean damn. My buddy said the brass was Winchester Mil brass, he knows his shit so...WCC.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If someone has one of the old CDI model 70 bottom metals to lend/sell me, I'll start making them.
I had one and sold the gun to buy other guns.
Is this what you are looking for ? I doubt it but made me think someone on this thread might likey. This bottom metal came off my gun. I forgot I changed the bottom metal to mag box.

. PM if anyone has interest. Someone thought I was selling the gun. I just have these spare parts in case someone needs them.

PB

Last edited:
Is this what you are looking for ? I doubt it but made me think someone on this thread might likey. This bottom metal came off my gun. I forgot I changed the bottom metal to mag box.

. PM if anyone has interest. Someone thought I was selling the gun. I just have these spare parts in case someone needs them.

PB

That's not the one he is talking about. The one you have pictured is the factory TBM from FN. It takes proprietary mags.

The one he is asking about is one CDI used to make, that one worked with AI mags. Your TBM is still such a solid DBM and a very good product but unfortunately, it does not take AI type mags.

Have a great day,
Dawna Hubbard
Quality Analyst"

GFL is Fiocchi - good brass - I use it in my high volume prairie dog guns. (y)

Reactions: stello1001
Here's the OG (Original Gangsta') SPR. It's had minor changes. It's in the original HS Precision stock with an aluminum bedding block. The OGs did not come with a rail and this has a 20MOA Seekins. The bottom metal on these is aluminum and I swapped out a later DBM in steel. It has a trigger spring and a Witt Machine clamp on brake and that's about it. These first SPRs had 26" barrels and are reputedly made from M240 blanks. Future iterations had barrels that maxed at 24" and were made from hammer forged blanks specific to the later guns.
IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

Now to the targets. The wallet group is exactly that. They happen when they happen. In this case it was during load development. The large target is from a comp. that LL did because he was pissed about 5X5s. The rifle shoots coldbore to point of aim and continues to do so. I shot this target when I was 68 years old. I had been fully disabled for over ten years. The bench was a 16# round patio table with four legs set on a rock driveway and never had more than three legs on the ground at any one time. You can see that I completely blew the target on the second five shot group. That is entirely on me and not the rifle. https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/sh-100-yard-challenge.6252669/ The OG deserves better.

Hello all,

So I just got done assembling my MDT ESS and putting in it my FN SPR.

For those of you with SPR/model 70 rifles in a chassis, do you have any trouble feeding it. I can get an MDT metal mag to go in the magwell of the chassis. However, it is super loose and can easily wobble side to side. It also doesn't sit properly in the magwell. I can force it up higher or lower. Depending on position, I can sometimes get it to feed but it's definitely not reliable.

I bought some of the poly mags with the window but I guess MDT was having some trouble fulfilling those orders so those didn't come in. I don't mind waiting as I don't need this. I've heard those work great by the way.

Anyhow, it seems like the chassis magwell itself should have some sort of indent or a latch of some sort that catches the mag at exactly the right spot. This would allow it to always ride in the exact same position and feed dependably.

Hello all,

So I just got done assembling my MDT ESS and putting in it my FN SPR.

For those of you with SPR/model 70 rifles in a chassis, do you have any trouble feeding it. I can get an MDT metal mag to go in the magwell of the chassis. However, it is super loose and can easily wobble side to side. It also doesn't sit properly in the magwell. I can force it up higher or lower. Depending on position, I can sometimes get it to feed but it's definitely not reliable.

I bought some of the poly mags with the window but I guess MDT was having some trouble fulfilling those orders so those didn't come in. I don't mind waiting as I don't need this. I've heard those work great by the way.

Anyhow, it seems like the chassis magwell itself should have some sort of indent or a latch of some sort that catches the mag at exactly the right spot. This would allow it to always ride in the exact same position and feed dependably.

You may need to do some adjustment or fitting of the magazine to get it to seat the way you like. Recently had a similar issue with the new carbon fiber chassis. Adjusting the magazine slightly fixed the issue

You may need to do some adjustment or fitting of the magazine to get it to seat the way you like. Recently had a similar issue with the new carbon fiber chassis. Adjusting the magazine slightly fixed the issue

I'll take a look at it when I get home. I'm also waiting to receive the backordered window mags. I've heard those are supposed to function flawlessly.

Anyhow, I've heard of bending or playing with the feed lips. However, this is to get the round to chamber properly. I'm not sure I had ever heard of tinkering with the mag to make it ride higher/lower.

Howdy.
So a while back I bought 2 fn action, one stamped spr and the other pbr xp. Along with 2 hogue stocks and fn bottom metal.
I finally got 2 fn takeoff barrels.
Managed to install one.
Function checks with new ammo , feeds and ejects great.
Next step is to get head space checked and then shoot.
I did this the hard way cos I am an idiot with an engineering degree and decided to built my own tools, just to see if I could do it. So I built my own barrel vice, barrwl wrench and barrel block.
Here are some pictures .
Will take a picture of the completed pbr when I get home.
Currently working on inletting a mcmillian for the fn bottom metal with a lot of help from a member on here.
20211204_181404.jpg
20211205_160546.jpg
20210401_162120.jpg
20210401_164230.jpg

Attachments

• 20211204_175004.jpg
    20211204_175004.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 40
So the extra long is just a function of what i had available. I couldn't find actual inletting screws for the mod70/spr in stock anywhere. So I had to.make my own hence the die.
Just using those to line up the receiver, stock and bottom metal. I have started letting the stock for the bottom metal. Will post pictures this evening.
The stock is a mcmillian which has some wear and tear on it, so I am giving the inletting the diy effort. If I screw it up, it's not a huge loss. In all this I am leaving the action and bottom metal unmolested

I'd say gonna glass bed it maybe. No idea why the screws are that long. I also use studs when I do that tho, wrapped it surgical tubing.
Pillar and glass bedding if definitely the next step. Thinking of going the score high route. Buy debating between using their probed 2000 or marine tex

I still enjoy mine. Bought it through the classifieds here many years ago. Have two actions still waiting to do something with that I picked up when Winchester shut down New Haven. My only complaint is I always seem to be broke when a bunch of stocks hit the market.

I still enjoy mine. Bought it through the classifieds here many years ago. Have two actions still waiting to do something with that I picked up when Winchester shut down New Haven. My only complaint is I always seem to be broke when a bunch of stocks hit the market.
Great actions. What length actions are they?

Also this was before the final pass. So its a bit more flush now.
Lesson:I need a mill or access to a creator space with a mill

Pretty good for a first shot. Bed it with some devcon and sand it flush. Will look as good as they ever did from the factory.
Mine came bedded. Did anyone elses?
Yeah, definitely bedded it (action and bottom metal). Thanks

Finally got my MDT plastic/metal mags in the mail.

I can finally say that I feel good to take this thing on a hunt. Before, I had so many magazine & feeding issues. These mags solve most problems. The magazines actually sit at the same height/depth every time very consistently with no wobble.

Where I do have trouble every now and then is getting the bolt to close into battery. Most rounds will chamber and the bolt will close just fine. However, when it doesn't, a round goes in to the chamber and the bolt will not close down all the way. I'm not too savvy on these things. Though I would have to assume the extractor is not able to go over the case rim.

The weird part is, I can pull the bolt back and try again a million times with no success. If I point the rifle up so the round comes down and out of the chamber area, I can load a new round just fine and the bolt will close.

Anyone have any ideas?

20220204_213336.jpg

Also, I'll probably look for an MPA or MDT mount next so I can get my scope up higher a bit. Not that it's making contact, but I now have the luxury of adjusting comb height with a chassis. Woohoo!!!

I can finally say that I feel good to take this thing on a hunt. Before, I had so many magazine & feeding issues. These mags solve most problems. The magazines actually sit at the same height/depth every time very consistently with no wobble.

Where I do have trouble every now and then is getting the bolt to close into battery. Most rounds will chamber and the bolt will close just fine. However, when it doesn't, a round goes in to the chamber and the bolt will not close down all the way. I'm not too savvy on these things. Though I would have to assume the extractor is not able to go over the case rim.

The weird part is, I can pull the bolt back and try again a million times with no success. If I point the rifle up so the round comes down and out of the chamber area, I can load a new round just fine and the bolt will close.

Anyone have any ideas?

View attachment 7801111

Also, I'll probably look for an MPA or MDT mount next so I can get my scope up higher a bit. Not that it's making contact, but I now have the luxury of adjusting comb height with a chassis. Woohoo!!!
Good looking rifle.
is it a factory barrel (chamber)? What ammo is doing that?
ive had a few tight match 308 chambers(including a FN) and if the case sizing was off by a bit, it would do it every time. FGMM run like a charm, but throw some 7.62 milsurp in there and damn. If it would have been a silver s. Remmy bolt I would’ve broke the handle off more than a few times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Westcoast308
Good looking rifle.
is it a factory barrel (chamber)? What ammo is doing that?
ive had a few tight match 308 chambers(including a FN) and if the case sizing was off by a bit, it would do it every time.

It's not a factory barrel. I bought the rifle with this custom barrel.

If I remember correctly, the original for sale posting from this rifle had all the details listed and mentioned Shilen Select match barrel. Reamer used was PT&G for this chamber.

However, the problem only exists when feeding from magazines. I've tried other MDT mags before but they had a wobbly fit and never sat at the same height. If I manually held or placed the mag properly where it could feed, it would do the same thing. Some rounds would chamber fine, others would not allow the bolt to fully close. I could try forcing the bolt, but if I did that, it would loosen the bullet in the case neck. I say that because on the rounds that did that and i forced bolt close, now have loose enough neck tension to where I can manually push or pull the bullet.

These new mags work wonderful in the sense that they always latch properly at the perfect height. I don't have to worry about that and they feed rounds just fine up the feed ramp, etc. My only problem is the one mentioned previously where some rounds won't allow bolt to fully close.

Before that, in a traditional stock, this problem never occurred. So I can confidently say the problem is unique to magazine feeding.

Anyone have any ideas?

View attachment 7801111

Beautiful rifle! The ESS makes it a real pleasure to shoot. As far as feeding is concerned, with controlled round feed the cartridge has to rise up into the bolt face before it goes into the chamber. The extractor won't snap over the case lip. This is a timing issue that usually can be remedied by adjusting the feed lips on your magazine.

Reactions: 7WSMShooter
Beautiful rifle! The ESS makes it a real pleasure to shoot. As far as feeding is concerned, with controlled round feed the cartridge has to rise up into the bolt face before it goes into the chamber. The extractor won't snap over the case lip. This is a timing issue that usually can be remedied by adjusting the feed lips on your magazine.

This freaking awesome. That means I get to play around with the magazine a bit and the remedy is free of charge to my wallet.

Thanks for chiming in...

And thanks to both of you for complimenting my rifle. She sure looks good chassis-ed up...