• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are the FN SPR enthusiasts extinct?

It says it only fits the old style inlet I believe.

Never mind. I found the "wide mouth" option that should fit my SPR.

Last edited:
Do you like them way better than AI?

I have a TBM and a few TBM mags but never inletted a stock for them. I'm just thinking of going AI so I can have mag compatibility across all my rifles.
Yes I do. I like thay I don't have to machine my action to run them. I actually prefer the mag release in the tbm. I am currently inletting a mcmillian for the tbm. It's annoying but not undoable.
I do know that Chad at lri has machined off part of the ai mags which means you can run them with out machining the mod70 action.

Yes I do. I like thay I don't have to machine my action to run them. I actually prefer the mag release in the tbm. I am currently inletting a mcmillian for the tbm. It's annoying but not undoable.
I do know that Chad at lri has machined off part of the ai mags which means you can run them with out machining the mod70 action.

If you get the MDT metal/plastic mags you don't need to open up your action...

If you get the MDT metal/plastic mags you don't need to open up your action...
Definitely an option o am willing to consider. For now I have two FNs with tbm which I got for a steal. So kinda commitef...Main complaint is the lack of 10 round mag availability. 5 rounds are easy enough to come by and work well.

Anybody running a Mcarbo trigger spring in there rifles? Just curious on some feed back.
My spr a1 has a pretty decent trigger as it is but if it’s decent I might spend the 15 bucks on the spring.

Anybody running a Mcarbo trigger spring in there rifles? Just curious on some feed back.
My spr a1 has a pretty decent trigger as it is but if it’s decent I might spend the 15 bucks on the spring.

My 3 m70s have them.

And then I still fine tune them a bit to make sure I get them as light as possible while still being safe and remove all over travel.

Reactions: Mooseknuckles
I just realized my elections are beating up my scope turret. I can't tell if is the copper (bullet) or brass. Since I've been playing around with tweaking the feed lips (I've pretty much got very reliable feeding now) I have been feeding and ejecting live loaded rounds.

I'll have to look for some spent brass and play with that and pay close attention to see if it hits my turret or not.

I know with these actions how much force I run the bolt will dictate how hard or fast the brass comes flying out. Anybody else running into this issue?

20220212_153024.jpg
20220212_152826.jpg

I will however be looking for a slightly taller setup. These are low seekins rings and I want a medium MPA mount.

Took my FN SPR out and tried some Norma 168's, it shot quite well. Going to try 175's next week.

When buying the 223 ammo, I grabbed some 308 in 168's and 175's to play with and keep the brass. We shot the 168's this Sunday. We shot out of the DD D5 and the FN SPR. Couldnt get solid/ comfortable on the DD gun so that group will probably close up on another Sunday, but we still got some decent groups.

This was the FN group

This was DD D5

Sub MOA ammo, it was also windy as fck. Going to shoot the 175's next week. So if you need some decent 308, I bought directly from Norma. Just an FYI.

PB

Mine shoots meh, needs a new barrel. Plus it’s only a FN PBR, non factory accurIzed version of the SPR. It shoots great pushing hand loaded Berger 185 Juggernauts hard. Regular Federal Gold Metal Match is a 2” group. Currently playing around with some Hornady 168 ELD-M’s.

My SPR A1 loves 175 FGMM. I have also had very good luck with reloads with 175 Berger’s. Currently working with 175smk, Varget and Peterson brass. Have test loads loaded for 40.5-42 grains.

Have any of you guys had issues with cratering on primers with FGMM? I know it’s not the ammo being the issue. I am thinking I need to have my firing pin bushed. I’ll see if I can find pic of the brass.

My reloads I am running CCI200, the others are whatever Federal uses with there FGMM ammo.

My SPR, A3G 24 inch, does really well with 175 SMK's but they have to pushed hard, like 2730 fps. 168's aren't stable beyond 500 yards. 155's, SMK's or AMAX, are good but the indicators say faster is better. The rifle only has about 1000K through it. Does anyone else's act like this?

My SPR, A3G 24 inch, does really well with 175 SMK's but they have to pushed hard, like 2730 fps. 168's aren't stable beyond 500 yards. 155's, SMK's or AMAX, are good but the indicators say faster is better. The rifle only has about 1000K through it. Does anyone else's act like this?

What's your twist? Even 1:12 through a 24" barrel should easily get supersonic to 1000 yards

I recently picked up a new old stock FN SPR A5M. It has the 20-inch fluted barrel with 1:12 twist. So far it has shot everything I have put through it, very well. I have only put 80rds through it so far. I don't like the heavy trigger. I have picked up a Timney trigger that I am going to install in it and see how it does.

In my case, everything looks great at 100 to 300 yards. However, the best long distance accuracy (800-1000 yards) comes at the top end of the loading charts. My home range is at 6500 ft above sea level so getting more velocity is a little easier but it seems kind of rough on the gun.

I am in San Diego so I am close to sea level. I believe my range is 400ft elevation. I have been running 168 SMK, 168 AMAX and Creedmoor Sports 167gr Lapua. I have 155 Scenar L, 175 SMK and 185 Bergers to load up.

I recently picked up a new old stock FN SPR A5M. It has the 20-inch fluted barrel with 1:12 twist. So far it has shot everything I have put through it, very well. I have only put 80rds through it so far. I don't like the heavy trigger. I have picked up a Timney trigger that I am going to install in it and see how it does.
The trigger on the A5M is adjustable, and a pretty damn good trigger.

I thought about adjusting it, but I really don't want to mess with it. The Timney will be easier for me.
It’s really easy. Turn two nuts and add fingernail polish or thread locker. You can probably sell the old trigger on gunbroker or something and make some money back.

Reactions: cornhusker86
My gunsmith really liked my trigger on my m70 .223 and asked if it was aftermarket. I have three rifles which include m70 and fn spr with factory trigger adjusted to my liking. All three are great.

Those should be old style Winchester triggers, they can and were made to be adjusted well. The FN I sold was worked and felt like a $250 aftermarket trigger
I’m not sure what the differences are, but the trigger in this rifle sure impressed me.

Enough so that I don’t need to replace it.

I did some searching in regards to the differences between the two.

It looks like the PBR trigger is the same as the M70 triggers.

When I searched for FN SPR trigger, all I got was a bunch of air soft garbage.

What’s the difference between the two?

I’m not sure what the differences are, but the trigger in this rifle sure impressed me.

All of my SPR’s have the mod 70 trigger.

The PBR was just a SPR with a non chrome lined barrel and in a garbage hogue stock.

Nothing

The trigger on SPR&PBR are VERY adjustable and mine are just what I need, they are very crisp, however they are not a two stage if that is what you prefer and or are used to!. I prefer a two stage on my AR type rifles but NOT on my Bolt Actions but that is just me!

I prefer a two stage for my ARs as well and love the trigger on my M1A. Single stage for the bolt guns. The trigger on my FN is over 5lbs, it is crisp though. All of my other rifles are set at 2.5. I bought a Timney for the FN, but I haven't installed it yet. I understand that the Model 70 trigger can be adjusted, but I have read that some may require a spring replacement on the trigger. I didn't want to deal with that. Installing the Timney looks really straightforward. I

Adjustments on the FN/M70 are very easy , it is just a matter of two set nuts on the set screw to your preference. I started by the least amount possible to what I was comfortable with and tested safety by bumping the rifle butt against the floor until I was satisfied with pull and safety of function. Both of my rifles are set at between 2.5&3 pounds of pull and are safe under normal use with the factory spring, I hope this helps and don't be afraid of experimenting with the factory trigger. If you feel the factory spring is not for you Mcarbo makes springs I'm told!

Thanks. I will try that out before I install the Timney. I did contact Mcarbo. They list a spring kit for the M70 trigger, but when I emailed them, they said that they do not have anything that works. I even sent them copies of their customer reviews of their product, they responded with an email that said that they do not carry anything like that. I am not sure what is going on with them.

Thanks. I will try that out before I install the Timney. I did contact Mcarbo. They list a spring kit for the M70 trigger, but when I emailed them, they said that they do not have anything that works. I even sent them copies of their customer reviews of their product, they responded with an email that said that they do not carry anything like that. I am not sure what is going on with them.

That literally took me way less than it probably took you to contact them. I just looked under their m70 parts on their website.

I have an M70 Timney trigger. The factory trigger with Mcarbo spring is a better trigger in every way. I put the Timney in an then immediately took it out.

Reactions: Charger442
Really? I have Timney triggers in all of my remington 700 action rifles, I like them a lot. How was the Timney disappointing?